A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Earl Sweatpants

Interesting. I suppose Iger's plan looked pretty good to Viacom.
Indeed. And it sounds like this is just phase one:
(from a Hollywood Reporter article last year)
It will be Universal's third theme park in Asia, after Singapore and Osaka, Japan. The park, an entertainment complex and the first-ever Universal-branded hotel, will occupy a 120-hectare (300-acre) site in Tongzhou district in Beijing's east. A second phase would involve another theme park, a water park and a further five resort hotels, according to state media. Universal has said the resort will eventually encompass 400 hectares (1,000 acres). :jawdrop:

Mike S

You will probably care once they try to rip out the Haunted Mansion for a Doctor Strange attraction.
Won't happen. Not because it's one of the greatest rides out there and the people in charge respect and cherish it, but because it's a huge merchandise seller.
That may be true, but it wouldn't change the established fact that the show is about to get a modern reboot that has nothing to do with Disney and who's content is out of its control. Given that it's likely to be a whole lot edgier than the 60's show, I can easily see why Disney would instead want to break ties with it and use its own film franchise instead.

While I would prefer it stay TZ, it's not a leap to see why to Disney why it would make sense to flip its theme now.
Great idea. Because the new TZ might be too "edgy," replace it with the Marvel film that is absolutely filled with dirty jokes and references. Perfect :)

the.dreamfinder

I didn't mean to imply Alan Horn created the live action remakes, just that he is the one most responsible for the current slate of films we keep hearing about.

I happen to think he deserves 'credit' rather than disdain, but that's sometimes an unpopular opinion given the reaction folks have to the remakes. Critically and financially he is working out well for DIS.
But you're misappropriating credit here. Alan's job entails that he oversee the heads of the production divisions of TWDS; Disney Live-Action, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel and Lucasfilm. In this role, Alan has been an excellent leader for the studios.

However, Sean Bailey, head of physical production at Disney Live-Action, is the individual largely responsible for the surge of remakes we read about in the trades at least a couple times a month. I personally believe he greenlights these projects because he can't make a film without existing IP that's worth a damn. Instead of building a great team within the studio to develop new IP, he has to bring others in. The folks he has brought in to do these projects vary from excellent fits that lead to creative successes, or BRAND deposits, a term stolen from the late Steve Jobs, like Cinderella, The Jungle Book, and Pete's Dragon to dumpsterfires like the Alice films or Maleficent. Looking at all the remakes they currently have produced or are in development, their approach is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks, even if the stuff which fails leaves a nasty stench. Luck, not quality or talented people, has allowed Sean to make so many of these remakes and fill the development pipeline with these project, not matter how inappropriate they may be, think TWDS buying a garabage spec script for the Mulan remake, or unimaginative, Jon Favreau's Lion King, or poorly matched to the source material, Tim Burton's Dumbo. I could go on, but I won't. These remakes, the Iger era's equivalent to the direct to video sequels of the Eisner years, rarely lead to improved takes on the source material, Pete's Dragon has been the only one to do that, but stripe mine the built up goodwill of the public to sell them a repackaged lesser product.

Post Script: Someone who doesn't get a ton of credit, TWDS development executive Tendo Nagenda, received a nice write up in Wired for his work on "Queen of Katwe", the sort of film Disney should make more often, even it if doesn't light the world on fire. His next projects are Ava DuVernay's "A Wrinkle in Time" and the Mulan remake (which I hope is put on pause until they secure Ang Lee).
https://www.wired.com/2016/09/queen-of-katwe/#slide-1

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
From a rider's perspective, definitely. Everything looks and moves great and the new boats no longer get your pants and underwear wet.

Still, I'd read a lot of reports from cast members that the show building itself is rotting- maybe that's still an ongoing issue.

So lets use that rot and decay to our advantage for the new Pirates of Dagobah attraction, 'A Thrilling boat ride through the rotting mangrove swamps of Dagobah' They could even work in Slave Leia..

RSoxNo1

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarouselOf/status/792141919723876353

This guy is saying that Guardians is coming to Rock n Rollercoaster. I'm pretty new here, so I don't know how reliable he is, but I've seen him cited in a couple threads lately aand he seemed to be treated like another reliable source. Could this guy just be misinformed or guessing? Could Disney be in panic mode over the INCREDIBLY negative reaction to the WDW tower retheme rumors and this is their new cheap option for Guardians. I could see them reworking the entrance to Rock n Rollercoaster and turning what's left Animation Courtyard in Marvel Land. I mean, the launch bay will probably close when Star wars land opens. The little mermaid show is dated and kind of redundant now that there's a ride. And pplayouse disney can be easily moved somewhere else if need be. This would even allow space for marvel to expand to One man's dream and the old Narnia building iif need be.
He's been throwing out a lot of stuff lately. Not enough of a track record for me to believe him ahead of @WDW1974 or @marni1971, but it's at least encouraging. I would much rather see a RnRC retheme and wrap it around to animation courtyard as part of a new Marvel land. That's definitely preferred over either alternative.

RSoxNo1

Two other notes on Marvel, ToT and WDW:

1.) There is absolutely NO, none, nada, zero, zilch, NO truth to the idea that the rights are up and Disney doesn't want to pay them or CBS is looking for a huge pay raise. It's just Internet/fanboi/CM/Lifestyler myth;
2.) Have heard that Doctor Strange is an IP that Disney can use at WDW, but haven't checked into it ... well, largely because I don't care.
There's enough evidence publicly to say that they can use Doctor Strange. They're showing it in DHS right now and there's a casting call for a performer in Orlando.

RSoxNo1

Not going to argue about the "disgraced" part. No one in LA, in the biz would ever consider MDE disgraced, but you can use whatever language you choose.

But I do find it interesting that MDE is at WDW as we speak enjoying a place that he helped develop into what it is today (both good and bad, I grant you). He's there because he wants to. Because he still is passionate about the place. Very unlike Iger who only visits WDW when he has to. And I will bet you $100 right now, that he never visits after he leaves unless he is there for some press reason. Like in five years when they open the SWE if the next CEO invites him (unlike he did with Eisner in Shanghai!)
From now on, all bets on this site shouldn't be in dollars, but rather one day tickets. You've got to increase your bet.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Disney's current live-action remake roster (i.e., in the works):
-Snow White
-Dumbo
-Beauty and the Beast
-Aladdin
-Lion King
-Mulan

Make it stop!

Alright, Lion King isn't live action. Unless they add in human characters, then it's not live action. It's an animated movie with a "realistic" art style.

Not that it really changed anything, but I see so many people call it love action and it's become my pet peave lol

FigmentJedi

So lets use that rot and decay to our advantage for the new Pirates of Dagobah attraction, 'A Thrilling boat ride through the rotting mangrove swamps of Dagobah' They could even work in Slave Leia..
No, you take the opportunity to build a bunch of animatronic Twi'lek and Togruta women. That way you can still keep it "We wants the redhead" because you know, technicolor girls.

Earl Sweatpants

Oy...how could I have forgotten other proposed remakes of previous Disney animated features!

-Sword in the Stone
-Chip and Dale
-Winnie the Pooh
-Pinocchio
-The Little Mermaid
-Night on Bald Mountain
-Tinkerbell (not exactly a remake, but still)
-Prince Charming (again, not a true remake, but livening up of an animated character)

Bairstow

Oy...how could I have forgotten other proposed remakes of previous Disney animated features!

-Sword in the Stone

I'm actually kind of hype for this, considering who's involved.

Pic related.

2AB53E3100000578-3168799-New_gig_Bryan_Cogman_a_writer_for_HBO_s_Game_Of_Thrones_shared_t-a-14_1437430878570.jpg

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

In DCA, it's really not messing with the theme of the area or the park than anything else that already has changed it.

So getting rid of a Hollywood themed hotel in a land called Hollywood land in a park called California Adventure is not messing with the theme?

As has been said numerous times, DCA's tower and surrounding is not as strong as DHS's, but it is still a quality attraction and changing it GOTG is destroying the thematic integrity of the land and the park it is in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom