A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

rd805

So getting rid of a Hollywood themed hotel in a land called Hollywood land in a park called California Adventure is not messing with the theme?

As has been said numerous times, DCA's tower and surrounding is not as strong as DHS's, but it is still a quality attraction and changing it GOTG is destroying the thematic integrity of the land and the park it is in.

They will be turning the surroundings into a Marvel area -- it will be adjusted in time. How expansive and well-done? --, hmm, not sure.

BrerJon

Alright, Lion King isn't live action. Unless they add in human characters, then it's not live action. It's an animated movie with a "realistic" art style.

Not that it really changed anything, but I see so many people call it love action and it's become my pet peave lol

If it's done with puppets and animatronics, doesn't that count as live-action?

DinoInstitute

So getting rid of a Hollywood themed hotel in a land called Hollywood land in a park called California Adventure is not messing with the theme?

As has been said numerous times, DCA's tower and surrounding is not as strong as DHS's, but it is still a quality attraction and changing it GOTG is destroying the thematic integrity of the land and the park it is in.
I just don't see how GotG messes with the theme of the park anymore than any other new addition. It's in a land called Hollywood Land, which also has Frozen, Monsters Inc, Turtle Talk, and other unrelated IPs. GotG goes with those as much as any of them go with each other, not to mention the fact that eventually it will be in its own Marvel land.

And using the name of the park "California Adventure" as justification for GotG destroying the thematic integrity doesn't mean much really. Didn't Bugs Life, Cars, and Little Mermaid all do this first?

I'm not saying there aren't reasons to be upset about ToT in DCA leaving, nor am I one of the ones saying "so what, it's the lamer version anyway". It's still a wonderful attraction and it's unfortunate GotG is invading it. However, I don't think this one GotG attraction coming to the park is completely killing theme anywhere near as much as people say it is. However, in DHS, it would be much more detrimental to the front half of the park IMO with the beautiful Old Hollywood that never was theme and story that's told there. That's basically my argument for DHS's tower being a much worse replacement.

The Empress Lilly

I just don't see how GotG messes with the theme of the park anymore than any other new addition. It's in a land called Hollywood Land, which also has Frozen, Monsters Inc, Turtle Talk, and other unrelated IPs. GotG goes with those as much as any of them go with each other, not to mention the fact that eventually it will be in its own Marvel land.

And using the name of the park "California Adventure" as justification
Up until that last sentence I thought you were talking about EPCOT. :oops:

flyerjab

Two other notes on Marvel, ToT and WDW:

1.) There is absolutely NO, none, nada, zero, zilch, NO truth to the idea that the rights are up and Disney doesn't want to pay them or CBS is looking for a huge pay raise. It's just Internet/fanboi/CM/Lifestyler myth;
2.) Have heard that Doctor Strange is an IP that Disney can use at WDW, but haven't checked into it ... well, largely because I don't care.

Interesting to hear that Doctor Strange is one of the Marvel IPs that can be used. After seeing the previews for the money, this particular IP piqued my interest, and for one main reason - location. When I watch some of the previews for that movie, Doctor Strange travels to a part of the world that has architecture that looks like it was pulled right out of Anandapur and Zerka Zong in the Asia sections of DAK. This makes me curious as to whether or not this Marvel IP could ever end up in that park. It seems far-fetched to me; but let's face it, they got Rohde to add an alien landscape expansion to the front of the park populated by the indigenous blue-skinned Na'vi. If Doctor Strange is a hit for the MCU - and Cumberbatch looks like he will fill Doctor Strange's shoes just fine - I wonder what would happen if Chappie and Co. tried to shoehorn this Marvel IP into DAK?

There was a time when I would have thought that to be impossible. But knowing the Bobs' preference for using IP, just watch the previews for Doctor Strange and tell me how an Asia expansion couldn't occur in that unused expansion pad. The resemblance to the structures in Asia to what you see in this upcoming movie are almost uncanny. And Rohde is the perfect Imagineer for it considering he currently has both DAK and the Marvel portfolio under his floppy earring.

Castle Cake Apologist

Erm, have you been to the Hollywood section of DCA? I'd hardly compare it to Sunset Boulevard... plus it's meant to represent a Hollywood studio, not an actual portrayal of classic Hollywood.

Not saying it's the right choice out west either, but the area it's in out there is certainly more flexible thematically.

Stevek

This is just my personal opinion which I know a lot of people might not really agree with, but the reason I'm not as upset about DCA's tower is that it's not ruining something like what DHS's tower would ruin in the surrounding land. For DHS, Sunset Blvd is one of the best lands all around in WDW, and this single move would ruin all of the theme completely. In DCA, it's really not messing with the theme of the area or the park than anything else that already has changed it.

I think that you'll find quite a few people that disagree with this. The Hollywood Backlot area, Buena Vista Street, Carthay Circle and the Red Car Trolleys...they all formed a pretty cohesive area with TOT being a pretty significant icon of that area. The new tower will architecturally stand out like a sore thumb with zero tie to anything else in the area.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Care to elaborate on what you think they should be measuring?

Richness of experience, How easy was it to ride favorite attractions, Quality of staff interactions - things along these lines which are difficult to express numerically (short of using calculus) but are key to a theme park experience transporting you to another place, ToT and KS are perfect examples of experiences which transport you somewhere else for a little while.

Disney is using much simpler metrics, How many attractions ridden, PCGS, PRGS

Mike S

Interesting to hear that Doctor Strange is one of the Marvel IPs that can be used. After seeing the previews for the money, this particular IP piqued my interest, and for one main reason - location. When I watch some of the previews for that movie, Doctor Strange travels to a part of the world that has architecture that looks like it was pulled right out of Anandapur and Zerka Zong in the Asia sections of DAK. This makes me curious as to whether or not this Marvel IP could ever end up in that park. It seems far-fetched to me; but let's face it, they got Rohde to add an alien landscape expansion to the front of the park populated by the indigenous blue-skinned Na'vi. If Doctor Strange is a hit for the MCU - and Cumberbatch looks like he will fill Doctor Strange's shoes just fine - I wonder what would happen if Chappie and Co. tried to shoehorn this Marvel IP into DAK?

There was a time when I would have thought that to be impossible. But knowing the Bobs' preference for using IP, just watch the previews for Doctor Strange and tell me how an Asia expansion couldn't occur in that unused expansion pad. The resemblance to the structures in Asia to what you see in this upcoming movie are almost uncanny. And Rohde is the perfect Imagineer for it considering he currently has both DAK and the Marvel portfolio under his floppy earring.
Please god no. If you're going to put IP in AK's Asia you go with Jungle Book like how Lion King is in Africa. Doctor Strange is a completely different animal from Avatar, no pun intended.

Donaldfan1934

Won't happen. Not because it's one of the greatest rides out there and the people in charge respect and cherish it, but because it's a huge merchandise seller.
How ironic. One of their biggest merchandise seller's in the parks is an original attraction in an age where refuse to even build an original land. Still, I feel any attraction could be at risk for something that'll inevitably push merchandise outside of the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom