• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Mike S

I think that is imperative to keep in mind. Once Spider-Man appeared in a Disney/Marvel film, it was clear all bets are off for what can be negotiated.

While we like to almost romanticize the situation into a grudge match between Disney/Marvel and those with existing contracts, in reality it's about everyone making money. And if it can benefit both, nothing is likely off of the table.
The only thing off the table would probably be Universal giving up their contract completely.

On another note Marvel's been destined for Epcot since the beginning it seems, just not in the rumored large capacity.

A lot of Marvel properties do have a lot to do with science. If done well, I could see some Marvel characters being added to Epcot in a way that fits very well. I dont necessarily know how Guardians makes sense (but I'm willing to reserve judgement till we know more details). BUT if Marvel is gonna play ball with Universal, maybe Iron man could be coming.

I vould totally see the Wonders of Life Pavilion becoming the Stark Expo. Make the big "lobby" area like a new innoventions (even try to get real companiespresenting new technologies mixed in with fake companies lile Pym tech and Oscorp). Add the Iron Man ride from Hong Kong or build a new one. Maybe have some other Avengers ride too themed around the Stark Expo. Or an Ant Man play area sorts like the old Honey I shrunk the kids play area.

Stark Expo could be a fun mix of edutainment and a celebration of scientific progress in the lobby and then some exciting rides off to the sides.
Stark Expo in WoL would be about the only Marvel thing they could do that would work in Epcot. The simulator bays for a clone of Iron Man Experience are already there though I would prefer something new and different. The rest of the pavilion could show off various technical wonders and advancements from all fields. Too bad he's an Avenger and strictly off limits though. The price to buyout the contract would likely be too great to be worth it. Might as well stick with things they can use. Oh well.

yeti

Wow, that makes me extremely curious. I can't really imagine what that could entail, but if they could make a Marvel area "fit" effectively in Epcot, I'm intrigued.
I feel like the only characters that would work are Tony Stark and Hank Pym....the rest is too alien for a park about human ingenuity. With those two you could at least pretend that their shenanigans have a basis in the real world.

yeti

I think it's now generally accepted that the overall theme of EPCOT will need to change to better suit the sorts of attractions that more easily coordinate with merchandise sales and Disney's larger media efforts.

The sooner we accept this the easier it will be.
The idea that such a thing "needs" to happen is more of a corporate mandate than an actual necessity, but anyway...

LukeS7

Ralph is locked in. Work should start in January.
Any chance Stitch could be open to add additional ride capacity over MLK weekend? Was hoping there was a chance, not that it's a great ride, but it's my favorite Disney movie and was hoping for one last go on our upcoming trip

TP2000

I think this photo Mint Crocodile took finally puts the nail in the coffin on the rumor of Paint the Night being shipped out, as they cant store both parades.... Disneyland has created storage for MSEP... temporary, likely as temporary as that parade will be. Mind you that tent is clearly not tall enough for the clock tower, as it has no top on it... So perhaps it is just there while they work on the floats?

That's obviously temporary. But Disneyland will be running Paint The Night daily beginning November 18th; two performances of Christmas Fantasy Parade in the afternoons, then two performances of Paint The Night in the evenings. They would need that temporary structure to house MSEP for the next two months while Paint The Night performs daily and they get MSEP ready for its January, 2017 debut at Disneyland.

I'm not saying this tent doesn't prove MSEP will be temporary for 2017, I'm just saying that for at least the next two months they need a space to store and refurbish the MSEP while Paint The Night continues to perform daily.

AEfx

I cannot fathom a world without it, but how can Spaceship Earth survive in a park with lots of Marvel IP that doesn't fit in with the theme of Epcot?
It's not like they are just going to put in fantasy rides with no theme. One thing that sets Marvel apart from DC is that a lot of the heroes are either scientists or have science backgrounds/scientific origins. I fully expect Disney to integrate the themes and not just abandon the concepts of the park. It really could be done - Stark Expo as a communicore replacement is a prime example. Just because it's themed to Marvel doesn't mean they couldn't still keep the edutainment angle.

AEfx

Any chance Stitch could be open to add additional ride capacity over MLK weekend? Was hoping there was a chance, not that it's a great ride, but it's my favorite Disney movie and was hoping for one last go on our upcoming trip
It's already closed, and given what Martin has said, it gives credence to the rumor that was posted on Twitter that it was already being gutted.

Sorry!

LukeS7

It's already closed, and given what Martin has said, it gives credence to the rumor that was posted on Twitter that it was already being gutted.

Sorry!
I got to ride it back in March (which was my first time back in 4 years), so at least I got to ride it then. Glad we went in March because they changed so much after (they closed a third of Hollywood Studios a few weeks after we went for SWL and TSL). I thought they had only changed it to "seasonal operation" and not closed it entirely yet though?

Bairstow

I got to ride it back in March (which was my first time back in 4 years), so at least I got to ride it then. Glad we went in March because they changed so much after (they closed a third of Hollywood Studios a few weeks after we went for SWL and TSL). I thought they had only changed it to "seasonal operation" and not closed it entirely yet though?
Maybe that was a lie?
Whether there is still a side operating for the Christmas rush will be the real test.

AEfx

Maybe that was a lie?
Whether there is still a side operating for the Christmas rush will be the real test.
Very true. Good point.

So both may be correct then - they are already ripping one side out but still may open up the other side for the holiday rush. Completely forgot about that.

Top Bottom