A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

AEfx

Expect changes to the original contract anyway. Not that the details may ever be fully made public.

I think that is imperative to keep in mind. Once Spider-Man appeared in a Disney/Marvel film, it was clear all bets are off for what can be negotiated.

While we like to almost romanticize the situation into a grudge match between Disney/Marvel and those with existing contracts, in reality it's about everyone making money. And if it can benefit both, nothing is likely off of the table.

Incomudro

How does a free fall ride even fit GotG anyway?
It obviously fits an elevator in a Hollywood Hotel.
RnR fits a wild limo ride with Aerosmith.
EE fits a runaway train through the foothills and down the mountain of Everest.
Splash fits a bayou themed log ride...
But a GotG overlay freefall ride on some kind of fortress, museum building?
I don't get it.
I'm sure the details and the visuals will be amazing, but the bones are wrong.
This would work much better as a rollercoaster - re theming RnR - much as I love RnR.
Or, re theming Mission Mars.
Or... Best of all as its own attraction.

doctornick

That's never really been the issue. Just what marvel IP can be used. As more IP has been introduced not covered by the contact then the choice for WDW has grown.

Expect changes to the original contract anyway. Not that the details may ever be fully made public.

Epcot v3 seems to be the long term home of Marvel IP in WDW. DHS may have minor diversions but the meat is proposed to be in the second gate.

Fascination how you seem to be getting completely contrasting info compared to WDW1974 on the topic.

DHS certainly seems like a better location for Marvel stuff to me (though some things like BH6 could fit well in Epcot), but I'm certainly in the boat that would rather see Energy be replaced by GotG than ToT.

prberk

Epcot v3 seems to be the long term home of Marvel IP in WDW. DHS may have minor diversions but the meat is proposed to be in the second gate.

And that statement alone is gut-wrenchingly sad to me.

EPCOT/Epcot was always truly inspirational to me... and still is today to many, and can definitely be again. I have always said that it should also be the backdrop for an EPCOT-branded TV show showcasing new and innovative technologies and even world travel. Following Walt's ideas (using TV to both advertise and benefit from the park, such as with the DL TV show, but also the "people and places" features from the Mickey Mouse Club), it would be a true winner to both inspire growth at EPCOT and to provide fresh programming for kids and families. Remember the Imagineering shows and "WDW Inside/Out" on the Disney Channel?

Anyway, turning EPCOT into Marvel land is just sickening.

Brer Oswald

And that statement alone is gut-wrenchingly sad to me.

EPCOT/Epcot was always truly inspirational to me... and still is today to many, and can definitely be again. I have always said that it should also be the backdrop for an EPCOT-branded TV show showcasing new and innovative technologies and even world travel. Following Walt's ideas (using TV to both advertise and benefit from the park, such as with the DL TV show, but also the "people and places" features from the Mickey Mouse Club), it would be a true winner to both inspire growth at EPCOT and to provide fresh programming for kids and families. Remember the Imagineering shows and "WDW Inside/Out" on the Disney Channel?

Anyway, turning EPCOT into Marvel land is just sickening.
Epcot hasn't been in a good state for years. It can honestly only get better from here.

hpyhnt 1000

That's never really been the issue. Just what marvel IP can be used. As more IP has been introduced not covered by the contact then the choice for WDW has grown.

I really don't know how to respond to much of any of this news any more, but this particular tidbit is such a punch to the gut. Just so disappointing the direction the resort seems to be heading. The very things that made Disney theme parks the best in the world - originality, theming, cohesiveness - are just all being tossed aside in the name of $$$ and synergy.

EDIT: Saw additional post by @marni1971. Hope springs eternal I guess...

AEfx

The very things that made Disney theme parks the best in the world - originality, theming, cohesiveness - are just all being tossed aside in the name of $$$ and synergy.

Here's the thing. It's 2016. Not 1986. The world has changed. Media has changed. Wall Street has changed. Society has changed.

Sometimes folks talk about WDW like it's in some bubble immune to outside forces of time.

With "synergy" - the parks have always been part of that. Heck Disney built Sleeping Beauty's Castle before the film even came out, much less before it could be deemed a "classic". Frontierland existed because one of Disney's top live action franchises was Davy Crockett (and one of the first notable mass advertised consumer items to children based on media was a Davy Crocket coonskin cap). 20k Leagues was built based on a newish film (based on a nonDisney created property, to boot).

They are going to build things that appeal to the mass audience today because they can't spend $200M+ on an attraction for a "this might catch on" idea. It's just reality. If they are finally spending the kind of money that needs to be spent, they are going to spend it on things to complement existing business interests. No other management or CEO would or could do differently because if they did, they wouldn't have the job long.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
A lot of Marvel properties do have a lot to do with science. If done well, I could see some Marvel characters being added to Epcot in a way that fits very well. I dont necessarily know how Guardians makes sense (but I'm willing to reserve judgement till we know more details). BUT if Marvel is gonna play ball with Universal, maybe Iron man could be coming.

I vould totally see the Wonders of Life Pavilion becoming the Stark Expo. Make the big "lobby" area like a new innoventions (even try to get real companiespresenting new technologies mixed in with fake companies lile Pym tech and Oscorp). Add the Iron Man ride from Hong Kong or build a new one. Maybe have some other Avengers ride too themed around the Stark Expo. Or an Ant Man play area sorts like the old Honey I shrunk the kids play area.

Stark Expo could be a fun mix of edutainment and a celebration of scientific progress in the lobby and then some exciting rides off to the sides.

RSoxNo1

How does a free fall ride even fit GotG anyway?
It obviously fits an elevator in a Hollywood Hotel.
RnR fits a wild limo ride with Aerosmith.
EE fits a runaway train through the foothills and down the mountain of Everest.
Splash fits a bayou themed log ride...
But a GotG overlay freefall ride on some kind of fortress, museum building?
I don't get it.
I'm sure the details and the visuals will be amazing, but the bones are wrong.
This would work much better as a rollercoaster - re theming RnR - much as I love RnR.
Or, re theming Mission Mars.
Or... Best of all as its own attraction.
The backstory they created for DCA makes a lot of sense actually. It doesn't make replacing Tower of Terror the right choice, but I definitely buy the story.

lazyboy97o

Here's the thing. It's 2016. Not 1986. The world has changed. Media has changed. Wall Street has changed. Society has changed.
The basics of good storytelling have not changed.

With "synergy" - the parks have always been part of that. Heck Disney built Sleeping Beauty's Castle before the film even came out, much less before it could be deemed a "classic". Frontierland existed because one of Disney's top live action franchises was Davy Crockett (and one of the first notable mass advertised consumer items to children based on media was a Davy Crocket coonskin cap). 20k Leagues was built based on a newish film (based on a nonDisney created property, to boot).
The synergy was not mandatory, it was a minor element that became less and less. Even then, the basis for inclusion was very different. Most of the "synergy" was with box office disappointments, very different from the "franchises only" strategy.

Davy Crocket came from episodes of Disneyland.

The 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Walkthrough was a last-minute filler.

They are going to build things that appeal to the mass audience today because they can't spend $200M+ on an attraction for a "this might catch on" idea. It's just reality. If they are finally spending the kind of money that needs to be spent, they are going to spend it on things to complement existing business interests. No other management or CEO would or could do differently because if they did, they wouldn't have the job long.
And yet it is perfectly acceptable to gamble with such amounts when it comes to a film. This though is ignoring the excessive bloat within Disney and the refusal to promote or hire people who might have some understanding of the business and therefore able to identify such inefficiencies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom