A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Bairstow

To be fair, ToT isn't set in 1930s Hollywood, either. It's set in the present. It's acceptable that it looks old because of its backstory. Why Sunset Blvd. is set in the past has never made sense. Unless it's a set.

??
It's not explicit, but taken together, Sunset Boulevard and the wdw version of ToT are set during the later stages of WWII. The tower opened in 1939 but you're seeing it after about half a decade of misuse.

asianway

??
It's not explicit, but taken together, Sunset Boulevard and the wdw version of ToT are set during the later stages of WWII. The tower opened in 1939 but you're seeing it after about half a decade of misuse.
I believe the Citizens act as though it is 1947

prberk

Wow some people never get out do they? "I'm in Hollywood" ? Wow, no you aren't. Hollywood is a bit more gritty to say the least.

Maybe you're the one that doesn't get out much. He was having fun at the park and in a good mood with his friend on the phone.

This is otherwise a rough-around-the-edges kid who grew up in a family that was all over the place and more-or-less left him and his brother to fend for themselves, with his brother in Florida with his dad and him with his mother in Virginia, but mostly fending for themselves in neighborhoods of street kids and drugs. I took him to WDW to visit with his brother and enjoy themselves while getting advice from his brother on plans for the future. So, yes, he was very familiar with the grit of the real world; and he clearly understood that he was in a fantasy world -- kind of like that park down the street with a big castle entering a fairy tale "kingdom" and a 1900-era Main Street.

He was enjoying the theme and having a great time. It really did what it was supposed to do ... transport him to "the Hollywood that never was, and always will be." The Hollywood of legend, not the drug addicts on Hollywood Blvd. -- any more than Main Street, USA, at MK includes undependable electric lights or overhead power lines that would have more likely been included in a picture of anytown's Main Street of the time.

My point is that the theming is cool and works, and that it's just that: theming, not reality. And that was always the added value of Walt Disney World's theme parks: They work well to transport you with well-done, even if fanciful, themes. Are there inconsistencies, yes (like working bathrooms in "Frontierland"); but overall the theming is fantastic and fun... if you allow it to be.

Sunset Blvd., with the Hollywood Tower Hotel particularly, works amazingly well, and the ride is one of the best to fit theme and function in any Disney park. It is timeless, just as timeless as any ride in Fantasyland, and works for both Twilight Zone fans and newbies. It should be kept. Guardians or any other IP would likely break theme dramatically, and should be done elsewhere.

Phicinfan

There certainly is conflicting information.

I'm not after glory, and I'm certainly not trying to put anyone's nose out of joint. I'm just a messenger but one whom only says what he believes. Neither 74 nor myself chase wild fantasies. You all know that. His record speaks for itself. The SWL changes, time and time again, show how often and by how much plans can and do change. Have they done this time? Possibly. I know of budget issues and alterations regarding the Energy project. But that seems to be par for the course.

There is of course the sickening possibility Guardians is aiming for both the Tower AND Energy.
So, here is the rub....

I wonder if we are not seeing two different issues.

One that seems to be missed here is the fact that WDW1974 is seeming to call out that the reskin of ToT is the start of a "Marvel area" for DHS - soon to be magical IP park....

While Marni keeps talking about a reboot of EPCOT to v.3, and the fact that both are stating there will be something done to UoE.

So maybe, just maybe both are right.

Lets remember the re-skin of the DL Tot is the start of that parks Marvel land. Would it be that big a surprise for another Disney rinse and repeat? I am also glad that WDW1974 has finally put to bed the Marvel issue for WDW. Yes, they can use Marvel and WILL. First with GotG and then more probably Dr. Strange and others. So we can finally stop all the wrangling around that.

As pointed out, we do have TS now in two parks with Space rangers in MK and TSMM in DHS, so two GotG rides isn't that big a stretch.

Incomudro

Do people even remember this show?

If another theme park was to license the "Twilight Zone" name for an attraction they would be doing so only to take advantage of the public association with the Disney rides.

Remember the show?
They run marathons of it every year.
My sons (14 years old) know it.
"Twilight Zone" is part of the vocabulary and at the very least, people know it was a tv show.

Bairstow

Remember the show?
They run marathons of it every year.

Who's "they"?

Anyway, my point to @jt04 was that at this point, "Twilight Zone" has dropped so far off the current pop culture landscape that it is not, (as he suggested) likely that all the other theme parks out there are waiting in the wings to license their own "Twilight Zone" attractions should Disney end their license, and if they DID it would only be out of a desire to capitalize on the theme park connotations Disney has already built up and not the cachet of the show itself.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh, I see...
Because there is a longer version 3,000 miles away on the opposite coast, the WDW version that is a favorite of millions (most of whom have never seen and will never see the California version) for decades is not a classic.
Ok.
Eye Of the beholder and all that.

I thought the Wdw version was good. Then I rode the DLP version. And then the DL version.

Last edited:

AEfx

Who's "they"?

Anyway, my point to @jt04 was that at this point, "Twilight Zone" has dropped so far off the current pop culture landscape that it is not, (as he suggested) likely that all the other theme parks out there are waiting in the wings to license their own "Twilight Zone" attractions should Disney end their license, and if they DID it would only be out of a desire to capitalize on the theme park connotations Disney has already built up and not the cachet of the show itself.

As I posted earlier, the show is indeed being rebooted as we speak. Earlier in the thread I speculated it might be, but then I looked it up and it's actually a thing.

While we can debate about the old show, the truth is between parody and other appearances in pop culture, including the ToT but certainly not limited to it, the name and the theme music are well known cultural icons, even today. They are the main anchor of the IP, given its anthology nature.

http://www.thewrap.com/twilight-zone-is-getting-an-interactive-reboot-exclusive/

Stevek

It also may help if you get some basic fundamental points. For instance, despite how negative reactions have been to DCA's makeover, the sales at DCA's Tower gift shop have more than tripled this fall. Again, I'll let an 'insider' take over the narrative:

"Colglazier and Chapek were both caught off guard by the blowback on the Guardians remake, but it's important to remember these are two men who have no real passion for the theme park industry, they very rarely visit Disneyland in their time off, and they have no personal experience working in a Disney theme park with paying guests. They simply have no idea what Disney theme park customers like, and they have no gut instinct to go off of when it's time to decide on something like this. This decision was based on IP investment and potential future merch sales, and not much more. WDI is happy to go along because a big E Ticket project like this allows Imagineers to stay on the payroll, pad their portfolio, and prevent themselves from being laid off just after a new theme park opens (Shanghai). Disneyland Resort attendance and spending has continued to be up over forecasts by low double digit percentages since the 60th ended in September; the truth is Anaheim's numbers continue to be wildly successful while WDW is stagnant. Those big Anaheim numbers continue to thrill Chapek and make Colglazier feel he's making the right decisions, regardless of what the fans are saying online."

And therein lies the biggest problem for the future of the resort, for those that are disappointed by changes like Guardians Tower or Star Wars Land...people are not voting with their wallets and staying away. In fact, as you point out, they are spending more (or at least above forecasts). The vast majority of visitors really don't care about these changes and just enjoy coming with their family to experience the parks, that despite these changes are basically the same parks they've enjoyed for decades (at least for DL).

As long as Disneyland/DCA continues to be packed to the gills, why would Chappie and Colglazier even begin to care what the online community says? We, quite honestly, are a vocal minority. And really, a week after Guaradians Tower opens up most folks will completely forget about why they complained in the first place (and probably be raving about what a great experience it is). As for SW Land, heck, that will only further reaffirm to DL mgmt that they are making the right decisions as parks will likely be far more packed than we are seeing right now.

"Di$neyland will never be completed as long a$ gue$t$ continue to moan about everything we do but $till continue to pour through the gate$" - Walt Chapek

Bairstow

As I posted earlier, the show is indeed being rebooted as we speak. Earlier in the thread I speculated it might be, but then I looked it up and it's actually a thing.

While we can debate about the old show, the truth is between parody and other appearances in pop culture, including the ToT but certainly not limited to it, the name and the theme music are well known cultural icons, even today. They are the main anchor of the IP, given its anthology nature.

http://www.thewrap.com/twilight-zone-is-getting-an-interactive-reboot-exclusive/

The Black Mirror Tower of Terror?

Stevek

Oh, I see...
Because there is a longer version 3,000 miles away on the opposite coast, the WDW version that is a favorite of millions (most of whom have never seen and will never see the California version) for decades is not a classic.
Ok.
Yes, it's a butchered Cliff Notes version but it's clearly a fan favorite out here, even in it's inferior form. I've ridden both, love them both. For some folks, it seems like it's not ok that we love the DCA version because it's not as good as the DHS version.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lets remember the re-skin of the DL Tot is the start of that parks Marvel land. Would it be that big a surprise for another Disney rinse and repeat? I am also glad that WDW1974 has finally put to bed the Marvel issue for WDW. Yes, they can use Marvel and WILL. .

That's never really been the issue. Just what marvel IP can be used. As more IP has been introduced not covered by the contact then the choice for WDW has grown.

Expect changes to the original contract anyway. Not that the details may ever be fully made public.

Epcot v3 seems to be the long term home of Marvel IP in WDW. DHS may have minor diversions but the meat is proposed to be in the second gate.

Bairstow

Yes, it's a butchered Cliff Notes version but it's clearly a fan favorite out here, even in it's inferior form. I've ridden both, love them both. For some folks, it seems like it's not ok that we love the DCA version because it's not as good as the DHS version.

Maybe it's because both Pirates rides have been running for decades, whereas Florida's version of the Tower is old enough to vote and California's isn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom