A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I actually wonder why they dont do exactly what you said.
Instead of destroying the outside looks for a crappy factory overlay of the tower.
they could say that "The collector built a secret holding facility on earth, and they are holding a lot of innocents aliens, including the guardians, help them to get out". Most of the outside and inside would remain the same, except where you enter the real non disguised areas of the "base"... and then you have to scape in a malfunctioning ship (aka the elevator part). You crash but Groot and Co manage to save you and the elevator crew and escape"

YOU WELCOME DISNEY..
now wheres my cheque?
Or they could leave ToT alone and build a completely separate GoTG e-ticket with an original ride concept that doesn't have to be crammed into an existing show building.

Phil12

ToT has always been one of the most identifiable parts of DHS since the ride opened. You can see it as you approach the park and it's used heavily in advertising. It's always been an icon whether Disney wants to call the BAH or the water tower the official symbols of the park or not, people still thought of ToT. Kinda like Space Mountain in MK. The castle is the official icon but SM is almost as well known.

Too bad that's not the plan. The plan is to do this to the building:
View attachment 172262
This is why I called it an abomination. While that building may look really cool in a proper environment it will look hideous in that part of that park.
Now that I see that rendering of the building, I like it. You're swaying me to being in favor of the building overhaul.

It's not really hard to figure this out. When the TV show was made is irrelevant. Is it not possible to make a TV show today that's set in the past?
I agree. The same goes for the GotG movie. It's irrelevant when it was made. It's up to the writers to make it work within the allotted time and period.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree. Switching out one IP for another will be easy. The IP is only important to help sell the brand. Replacing Twilight Zone with GotG will not create a problem.
I think you missed his point. Replacing Twilight Zone with GoTG in the backstory wouldn't add much to the ride for guests. Would the ride be somehow improved or better if they had character placements throughout the ride?

Phil12

I think you missed his point. Replacing Twilight Zone with GoTG in the backstory wouldn't add much to the ride for guests. Would the ride be somehow improved or better if they had character placements throughout the ride?
It would sell more plush. Those dancing Groot dolls are killer! I agree that the backstory is not important at all. Disney wastes a lot on senseless backstory efforts.

Phil12

Guardians of the Galaxy is set in space not in 1930s Hollywood. The writers can't make it work within the time period.
Sure they can. Time warp goes on all the time. 1930's Hollywood is in space. As Carl Sagan said, "The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star-stuff".

HauntedMansionFLA

Just some thoughts since some people, including some I respect like @marni1971, are hearing conflicting information.

Went back to the two top sources on this. I asked last night what percentage chance do they give of it happening. After talking or corresponding with them, I'm saying the chances are over 70%. If you recall, when I (and I alone much like when I released the entire SDL lineup, or Georgie K taking over at WDW or, in my LP.com days, Harry Potter taking over Amity and a train connecting both UNI parks, or SDL not opening on time and the reasons why or ... well, I just like patting myself on the tushie when I don't have a fanboi minion here to do it for me!) broke the GotG news to start with I gave a 90% chance in Anaheim and a 50% chance in O-Town. See how that worked out.

Oh, and please tell my fans in the Twitverse that I never said Disney was getting a fifth gate (ever) or attractions based on the Disney Villains etc. And that Disney did indeed search for potential buyers/investors for P&R beginning in 2007 or right after Bob Iger became comfortable as the head of TWDC. The fact it didn't happen and Disney didn't put out a press release in no way changes things. Truth is truth, even if it happens in a forest with no one around to see or hear.

Also, I don't know who (maybe @WDWFigment or @RSoxNo1? was someone familiar ...) said my batting average was about .500. While that would be impressive, indeed, the reality is it's much closer to .900. And when I am wrong about something, almost -- but not -- everytime, it is because decisions change late in the game. If I had been posting on a Disney site in 1972 and was gushing about the amazing Thunder Mesa expansion coming to the MK, ask yourself would I have been wrong? It really is that simple.

I am trying to ascertain why people still are pushing the Guardians to UoE deal and without any solid info all I can do is speculate that some folks' employment might ride on whether their version of misplacing Iger and Chappie's prized IP gets selected. Believe me, I am not saying plans don't exist. I have seen them. But that means nothing. The WRE had plans ... so did the DVC resort where the Four Seasons sits. Both of those examples were much further developed than any dancing trees at EPCOT when the plug got pulled.

It also may help if you get some basic fundamental points. For instance, despite how negative reactions have been to DCA's makeover, the sales at DCA's Tower gift shop have more than tripled this fall. Again, I'll let an 'insider' take over the narrative:

"Colglazier and Chapek were both caught off guard by the blowback on the Guardians remake, but it's important to remember these are two men who have no real passion for the theme park industry, they very rarely visit Disneyland in their time off, and they have no personal experience working in a Disney theme park with paying guests. They simply have no idea what Disney theme park customers like, and they have no gut instinct to go off of when it's time to decide on something like this. This decision was based on IP investment and potential future merch sales, and not much more. WDI is happy to go along because a big E Ticket project like this allows Imagineers to stay on the payroll, pad their portfolio, and prevent themselves from being laid off just after a new theme park opens (Shanghai). Disneyland Resort attendance and spending has continued to be up over forecasts by low double digit percentages since the 60th ended in September; the truth is Anaheim's numbers continue to be wildly successful while WDW is stagnant. Those big Anaheim numbers continue to thrill Chapek and make Colglazier feel he's making the right decisions, regardless of what the fans are saying online."

How many UoE "Ellen's Final Adventure' shirts do you think they can sell? How many mugs, pins and keychains? How much work would the design studio need? You pull a ToT GotG makeover and all that work is covered.

Everything comes down to $$$ with Disney (RapidFill anyone?), like most companies. You may look at EPCOT's laughably outdated Future World attractions like they exist for satire. But all Disney sees is that EPCOT is phenomenally profitable and busy due to its food, beverage and merchandise sales. There is absolutely nothing at wrong with EPCOT if you look at it from a strictly financial viewpoint. The staleness and emptiness are all washed away by the vomit of tourists and bumpkins who have spent the day drinking around the world.

Now, look at plans for adding GotG to EPCOT at a cost that would make RSRs look cheap by comparison.

Now, look at DHS from Disney's perspective. It is a construction zone and despite any public bravado is getting hammered in the Guest satisfaction surveys and Disney is giving people freebies left and right when they complain that the park is a construction pit with nothing to do.

Now, think about how little it will cost to reskin the ToT. Look at Anaheim for the simplicity of it all. Ask yourself if you really think Disney wants to spent over $400 million to build an attraction at EPCOT or a tiny fraction of that to bring the GotG to DHS.

For everybody here who will be ******** about Tower leaving, think about all the newbies and one-and-dones who aren't expecting ToT to exist to begin with. They'll all be running to that park for the new Marvel ride. Sad and pathetic, but also the reality.

You are working in Burbank. You have no experience or passion for theme parks. You care. But you care in a certain construct. Why would you ever pick EPCOT and largely new build that would take years versus this no-brainer? You know you wouldn't. The fact these people shouldn't be in positions to make such decisions is another matter entirely.

Finally, want to be crystal clear, Disney CAN use GotG in WDW. In any park. And they can well after they make any appearance in any Avengers films. I know people get hooked on that point. But the lawyers on both side have gone over this. We wouldn't be having this discussion at all if they couldn't.
I guess if they want to keep it a STar
I never said Zootopia SHOULD ago in Splash, nobody did. Look at my profile, Splash is my favourite attraction, if Disney is going to touch it, it better be for enhancements based on the SotS theme. As for AK, it would diversify the park, and we said that they should separate it from the main view of the park. You would have to take a train ride to get to it, making it a separate park inside of a park.
Zootopia was a Very average movie - looked like a Dreamworks movie. Just because it's the flavor of the month doesn't mean it has to be thrown into a theme park. I can name several movies that could go into the theme parks that are better than Zootopia. There is a new Captain Nemo movie being developed, start up the bring the 20,000 leagues under the sea ride back!!!

Brer Oswald

I guess if they want to keep it a STar

Zootopia was a Very average movie - looked like a Dreamworks movie. Just because it's the flavor of the month doesn't mean it has to be thrown into a theme park. I can name several movies that could go into the theme parks that are better than Zootopia. There is a new Captain Nemo movie being developed, start up the bring the 20,000 leagues under the sea ride back!!!
Cars was a pretty average movie but that translated really well to theme parks. Some Disney movies work better in theme parks than they do as movies, I.e. Song off the South. And on that Captain Nemo topic, yes, we do need to bring back 20k Leagues!

TP2000

Yo Marni, how many empty soundboots, soundstudios and buildings are empty and ready to use at DHS? Or are they all used backstage? (like those where the old Jack Sparrow ride was, or the old frozen sing along). What happened to the American Idol huge building ?

Excellent questions! What is DHS management doing to re-activate all those dead corners and unused building before the Star Wars crowds descend en masse?!?

Perhaps the answer to that is part of the reason why Disneyland construction appears to be almost a year (or more) ahead of the DHS version???

twebber55

Cars was a pretty average movie but that translated really well to theme parks. Some Disney movies work better in theme parks than they do as movies, I.e. Song off the South. And on that Captain Nemo topic, yes, we do need to bring back 20k Leagues!
i think this gets under played on these boards quite a bit
adaptable to a theme park setting is a biggie to me

Monorail Mike

ToT has always been one of the most identifiable parts of DHS since the ride opened. You can see it as you approach the park and it's used heavily in advertising. It's always been an icon whether Disney wants to call the BAH or the water tower the official symbols of the park or not, people still thought of ToT. Kinda like Space Mountain in MK. The castle is the official icon but SM is almost as well known.

Too bad that's not the plan. The plan is to do this to the building:
View attachment 172262
This is why I called it an abomination. While that building may look really cool in a proper environment it will look hideous in that part of that park.

It's not really hard to figure this out. When the TV show was made is irrelevant. Is it not possible to make a TV show today that's set in the past?

I hope someone has taken into account that back side of that abomination is visible from Epcot.

gigasteve

If they're looking for quick wins, has reskinning Rock 'n' Roller Coaster been pitched? If the rumors are true that Aerosmith is leaving soon, Awesome Mix Vol 1 seems to be a big crowd pleaser. And since they were looking at this to become Hyperspace Mountain, odds are some similar ideas could be used.

Stripes

Premium Member
i think this gets under played on these boards quite a bit
adaptable to a theme park setting is a biggie to me
Honestly though, until Disney showed me how it was done,with the exception of merchandise, I wouldn't think the Cars franchise would be well adapted to a theme park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sure they can. Time warp goes on all the time. 1930's Hollywood is in space. As Carl Sagan said, "The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star-stuff".
You and I have different definitions of "making it work":). If any part of the backstory for this ride involves time travel it's an epic fail IMHO. I think as discussed earlier that if they go with a "Guardians Tower" then they are likely going to scrap the whole Sunset Blvd theme and go with something else. That's too bad because IMHO the land really works well and the money and time could be spent elsewhere in the park.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I'm so thrilled that UoE is temporarily safe, but I feel so bad for everyone losing ToT. I guess we can just call the third gate IP Kingdom and be done with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom