A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Disneyhead'71

For all those saying Zootopia should go into DAK or Splash, thank God you guys are not imagineers! Seems PAINFULLY obvious that this
CfT6AIcUIAAf-jU.jpg

doesn't belong anywhere near either of those locations.

It's a shame about those Streets of America though.

mickeyfan5534

The TZ was chosen not because it was timeless, but precisely because it wasn't, because it was a product of a bygone era. Just as Golden Era Hollywood. For that reason too, the TZ chosen is not the colour tv mid-eighties series, but the vintage one.
Let's put it like this: If I can reference The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street and Nightmare at 30,000 Feet and people can understand the reference, then The TZ is far from outdated.

Beholder

I'd actually add Test Track to the EPCOT Center grouping. The ride itself feels a bit too sterile to me, but the preshow vehicle design and post show area scream EPCOT Center to me.

Good point, I've only recently experienced the Test Track as it is now, and you are absolutely correct, it's at the very least an homage to the earliest incarnation and intent of EPCOT.

TP2000

Both will be stunning lands. And they should be given their cost and overruns. The attractions at opening (particularly SWL) should rank as some of the best experiences. But both will desperately need more attractions than what's on offer.

Not sure you can add more attractions inside Star Wars Land in either park; both areas seem hemmed in by roadways and key park offerings in each park. There's an "expansion pad" being built in at Disneyland behind the Millenium Falcon ride, but that's widely rumored to be the Frozen E Ticket space accessed by current day Fantasyland.

But the biggest issue is the parks these two Star Wars expansions are in. At DHS, once Star Wars opens, there will be seven (7) other rides plus five theater shows in the park to help soak up crowds. At Disneyland, once Star Wars opens, there will be thirty five (35) other rides plus five theater shows in the park to help soak up crowds. That's a huge difference, and its gonna be a problem.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Good point, I've only recently experienced the Test Track as it is now, and you are absolutely correct, it's at the very least an homage to the earliest incarnation and intent of EPCOT.

I completely agree with this. I've ridden both versions and I think the update while tron-esque, was a relatively good and modern update. The pre and post show rooms are what EPCOT is supposed to be. I for one have no issues with it.

Beholder

As you requested, I reread what you wrote. I still don't think of the ToT as a park icon. As a matter of fact, the DHS icon mess needs to be addressed in the new build.

All the other parks have one single icon per park. It's clear in each park. In DHS you had the water tower, then the Chinese Theater and then the BAH. And Disney itself created this mess. And yes even the ToT was used to advertise the park and play the icon role. It just goes to show how badly DHS needs a central icon.

By changing the appearance of the ToT it would help to erase the old image and allow DHS to create a new icon for the park that would not be confused with all the previous "icon of the month club" attempts. The current ToT looks like a horror hotel that Disney made to compete with Universal.

But moving on from the icon problem, I see no reason why the building would really need to be changed. I don't think it would be a problem for the GotG crew to show up in a 1930's Hollywood hotel and save any number of galaxies, universes, time warps and other dimensions from total destruction. And I'm sure that both Groot and Rocket Raccoon could carry out such a mission with good humor as well and make it all family friendly.

So there you have it. We can change the appearance of the building or leave it the same and that solves the appearance problems. As for the Twilight Zone problem, I've always wondered how a 1960's TV show doesn't ruin the "theme" of a 1930's hotel. The answer is of course that people will overlook anything if it fits their notion.

Therefore if a 1950's TV show can show up in a 1930's hotel, then it's not a stretch for GotG to show up. Time travel is common place with the new iPhone and android devices. All the kids know that.

The Twilight Zone, while being filmed in the 60's, was not a 60's centric television show. It dealt with genre and period specific themes, much like any anthology series does. Amazing Stories, One Step Beyond, The Outer Limits, and others told their stories in whatever timeline they placed the narrative in. Twilight Zone actually makes that very "problem" of the 1930's era hotel show up on a 1960's era piece or 2016 era piece quite possible. It IS the Twilight Zone after all.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I think if you veer away from the city aspect of Zootopia and go into the different regions, it could fit perfectly in AK.

Alright, I w as nt going to keep talking zootopia because it's off topic and I don't want it to seem like I'm against the movie.

But how can you "veer away from the city aspect?" The movie is literally named after the city. The entire film (other than the brief scenes in Judy Hopps home town ) takes place in that city. It would be like saying that you can place Lilo and Stitch land in Animal Kingdom if you ignore Hawaii and aliens to focus on mosquitoes. A toon town type area seperated from the rest of the park could work, but that's it. Thats really the only way unless you are okay with a city in animal kingdom.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As you requested, I reread what you wrote. I still don't think of the ToT as a park icon. As a matter of fact, the DHS icon mess needs to be addressed in the new build.

All the other parks have one single icon per park. It's clear in each park. In DHS you had the water tower, then the Chinese Theater and then the BAH. And Disney itself created this mess. And yes even the ToT was used to advertise the park and play the icon role. It just goes to show how badly DHS needs a central icon.

By changing the appearance of the ToT it would help to erase the old image and allow DHS to create a new icon for the park that would not be confused with all the previous "icon of the month club" attempts. The current ToT looks like a horror hotel that Disney made to compete with Universal.
ToT has always been one of the most identifiable parts of DHS since the ride opened. You can see it as you approach the park and it's used heavily in advertising. It's always been an icon whether Disney wants to call the BAH or the water tower the official symbols of the park or not, people still thought of ToT. Kinda like Space Mountain in MK. The castle is the official icon but SM is almost as well known.
But moving on from the icon problem, I see no reason why the building would really need to be changed. I don't think it would be a problem for the GotG crew to show up in a 1930's Hollywood hotel and save any number of galaxies, universes, time warps and other dimensions from total destruction. And I'm sure that both Groot and Rocket Raccoon could carry out such a mission with good humor as well and make it all family friendly.

So there you have it. We can change the appearance of the building or leave it the same and that solves the appearance problems. As for the Twilight Zone problem, I've always wondered how a 1960's TV show doesn't ruin the "theme" of a 1930's hotel. The answer is of course that people will overlook anything if it fits their notion.
Too bad that's not the plan. The plan is to do this to the building:
IMG_0603.JPG

This is why I called it an abomination. While that building may look really cool in a proper environment it will look hideous in that part of that park.

Therefore if a 1950's TV show can show up in a 1930's hotel, then it's not a stretch for GotG to show up. Time travel is common place with the new iPhone and android devices. All the kids know that.
It's not really hard to figure this out. When the TV show was made is irrelevant. Is it not possible to make a TV show today that's set in the past?

MagicHappens1971

Such delusion, lol. No wonder Disney can get away with throwing any film wherever they please. When the fan base reaches for the stars to push films where they don't belong, of course Disney sees no problem destroying themes etc.
In my personal opinion, if you put it were Rafikis is, you can make the train kinda like the monorail at the beginning of the movie and use the rainforest region they were in for a good part of the movie. I don't agree with GotG going into ToT, but I don't see what the huge issue with Zootopia being placed in AK. Especially if you have to get on the train to get there it won't be obscuring anything.

MagicHappens1971

Alright, I w as nt going to keep talking zootopia because it's off topic and I don't want it to seem like I'm against the movie.

But how can you "veer away from the city aspect?" The movie is literally named after the city. The entire film (other than the brief scenes in Judy Hopps home town ) takes place in that city. It would be like saying that you can place Lilo and Stitch land in Animal Kingdom if you ignore Hawaii and aliens to focus on mosquitoes. A toon town type area seperated from the rest of the park could work, but that's it. Thats really the only way unless you are okay with a city in animal kingdom.
As I mentioned above, I could see them doing the rainforest setting, but thats about it. Plus not that I agree with a "ToonTown" type area in AK, since AK is super detailed to it's geographical settings, I don't see why they couldn't do a rainforest area where Rafikis is, use the train as the monorail in the movie.

DDLand

As I mentioned above, I could see them doing the rainforest setting, but thats about it. Plus not that I agree with a "ToonTown" type area in AK, since AK is super detailed to it's geographical settings, I don't see why they couldn't do a rainforest area where Rafikis is, use the train as the monorail in the movie.
More lands that have to be hidden because they don't fit. Are we trying to wreck all the parks?

Disney's Animal Kingdom is like this generation's Epcot, I don't want them to wreck it. All lands in Animal Kingdom are designed to shore up a singular theme. Getting back to nature, coexisting with nature, and respecting nature. Zootopia would ruin the narrative that is clearly painted throughout the lands, environments, and attractions. Why constrain a group of talented artists with non original content? I say they've proven themselves more than capable of making places worth visiting. Why give them a vote of no confidence? We've already deviated from the central direction with Avatar, why double down? Instead, I have a really strong idea for a new Animal Kingdom Land...

Let Joe and his team build whatever they think fits. Trust them.

Cesar R M

I think you may be confusing him with the disgraced former CEO, Eisner. In fact, entire books have been written about it. ;)
What if Iger wants to one up him ? :hilarious: "What, Eisner was a overglorified disaster? WAIT UNTIL I LEAVE.. PEASANTS WONT KNOW WHAT HIT THEM!" :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Cesar R M

And conversely, I wonder how many people who may disagree with something being done, can't do it without crying and screaming and having fits of rage, throwing irrational hate around, year after year, unable to entertain any rational thought on a topic, do so because they are actually just ticked off they can never return to their youth, just like Disney can't.
I dont think the problem is "removing the old". is about "removing the GOOD old, and leave the old turds untouched".

He's still around. He pretends to be a Universal insider :rolleyes:

So, did he sold his Disney stock and bought Universal?
also.. insider of universal? what? :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom