A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Bolna

With all the talk about relevance or not of the Twilight Zone, I can tell you that it has no relevance at all to most Europeans. But ToT at WDS Paris is an immensely popular ride. People love it even though they have no clue about the TV series. The show works on its own, that it is derived from a specific IP is totally irrelevant. That is what made classic Disney attractions great.

You can even tell how popular it is by how fantastic the CMs are on this ride. Nearly all of them are fantastically in character and you can see how much they love being bell hops.

Cesar R M

There is of course the sickening possibility Guardians is aiming for both the Tower AND Energy.
This post deserves more than ONE image macro.. DESERVES TWO of them..

LIvg2jb.gif

Opm4Xzm.gif

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

You can even tell how popular it is by how fantastic the CMs are on this ride. Nearly all of them are fantastically in character and you can see how much they love being bell hops.
Just think of how much more, relevant, fun they will have pretending to assist in kidnapping and slavery!

Cesar R M

I agree obviously on Imagination and Stitch, but TT v2 also? I thought that was a nice improvement and definitely didn't feel cheap. It also works much better for "Future World".
I tough the majority hated the Tron Overlay? I only seen the original via photos. My only gripe of the ride in its current state, is the Playstation 1era graphics on the "simulators".

Cesar R M

It's actually a world where Japanese immigrants spearheaded the reconstruction of San Francisco after the 1908 Earthquake. The blend of architectural styles lead to the mashup name.
Thanks for the clarification! I only seen the Marvel mini comic series shot of the 2000's (which had Bayman as a hulkish "butler" type robot that could change suits and most of the characters actually asian. Including Wasabi as a Samurai-like sword wielder.)

Depends on what you count as IP. Toy Story is in both the studios and MK, and both are shooting games to boot.
Plus Frozen has been on 3 parks out of 4...
Unless we're only counting "attractions" and not shows, stage shows and fireworks.

Toy Story has TSMM and Buzz

Other than that all I can think of are shows/ride combos...such as Nemo in Epcot and DAK. Beauty and the Beast in MK and DHS.
Little mermaid too, stageshow/attraction DHS and the attraction at MK

The Empress Lilly

More lands that have to be hidden because they don't fit. Are we trying to wreck all the parks?

Disney's Animal Kingdom is like this generation's Epcot, I don't want them to wreck it. All lands in Animal Kingdom are designed to shore up a singular theme. Getting back to nature, coexisting with nature, and respecting nature. Zootopia would ruin the narrative that is clearly painted throughout the lands, environments, and attractions. Why constrain a group of talented artists with non original content? I say they've proven themselves more than capable of making places worth visiting. Why give them a vote of no confidence? We've already deviated from the central direction with Avatar, why double down? Instead, I have a really strong idea for a new Animal Kingdom Land...

Let Joe and his team build whatever they think fits. Trust them.
Trust Joe? Joe is busy designing the very GotG overlay.

The Empress Lilly

Let's put it like this: If I can reference The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street and Nightmare at 30,000 Feet and people can understand the reference, then The TZ is far from outdated.
Personally I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about there. ;)

But I'm not American. Is Nightmare at 30,000 Feet from the TZ movie with that goblin-thingie on the airplane wing?

I do think sixty year old TZ is outdated. And also that this has no bearing on its relevance in ToT. And, also also, that if this is about a contest between IP strength that my money's on the billion dollar Marvel property.

Cesar R M

Please go back and read what I actually wrote. I am not a doom and gloom person here who loses their mind over every little change and constantly complains. If anything I lean towards the pixie dust side still. I didn't have a problem with adding Starbucks in the Bakery on Main Street, I don't have any issues with Avatar in AK (looking forward to it opening soon:)), I enjoyed a cold beer at BoG in MK (and enjoyed using the Tangled Toilets just after) I actually think FLE overall is pretty decent (Mine Train is a little short but still a huge upgrade over Snow White), I never got the love for Mr Toad (Pooh is a better fit even if the ride itself could be a little better) and I have even come somewhat around to various IPs in EPCOT World Showcase (although I think Frozen would have been better served with a bigger ride with more capacity). You have to be careful in these discussions with quickly labeling all posters as being one extreme or the other. There are plenty of folks here somewhere in the middle. Not everyone here is complaining just to complain. Not in this case.

All that being said, I don't view this as a minor change. It's not just the ride but a whole land being impacted. This isn't just adding Groot in a bell hop costume to the end of the ride. I never said ANY change they made would be an abomination, just this particular change. If they removed everything Twilight Zone IP from the ride but kept the ride itself and the exterior mostly the same I would be more on board. There are probably some creative ways to work a backstory without using the Twilight Zone IP. Then the ride would be "freshened up" without defacing the iconic show building and destroying a whole land that actually works in a park in desperate need of more of everything.
I actually wonder why they dont do exactly what you said.
Instead of destroying the outside looks for a crappy factory overlay of the tower.
they could say that "The collector built a secret holding facility on earth, and they are holding a lot of innocents aliens, including the guardians, help them to get out". Most of the outside and inside would remain the same, except where you enter the real non disguised areas of the "base"... and then you have to scape in a malfunctioning ship (aka the elevator part). You crash but Groot and Co manage to save you and the elevator crew and escape"

YOU WELCOME DISNEY..
now wheres my cheque?

Cesar R M

That would actually be really cool! my big problem with zootopia in animal kingdom has been that I don't want a modern city plopped into the park. But having it take over Rafiki with a train ride to it would separate it from the jungle area. they can even walk the whole thing in. From the inside, those walls are just the zootopia skyline, but from the outside its green and natural looking so it will blend into the jungle and. I still don't think a zootpia land is what they should go with (I love the movie and it is certainly an inviting world, O just dont feel like that movie is "timeless." It feels very modern and that doesn't always lead to a lot of staying power), but if they did it this way, i wouldn't mind at all!
zootopia is more than just "skylines". Remember it also had "districts". The "train" simply could go from Harambe area (Rainforest district) to a modern building of conservation in the middle of some forest (Rafiki planet watch).

For all those saying Zootopia should go into DAK or Splash, thank God you guys are not imagineers! Seems PAINFULLY obvious that this
CfT6AIcUIAAf-jU.jpg

doesn't belong anywhere near either of those locations.

It's a shame about those Streets of America though.
Zootopia is more than just the central Savannah Square..

Zootopia_Concept_Art_03.jpg

Lets not forget the other areas too..
7e147ac8-2bf5-4178-8938-cf1e3e3bad14.jpg

But generally I agree with you. On the main subject, it doesnt "fit" the current areas of Animal Kingdom.
Unless you go to replace something else like Dinorama with a full Zootopia land. (or in the city scape of streets of america as you said).

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

I agree with your position relative to GotG and EPCOT, after Nemo and Frozen, it's all pointless now to pretend any original intent still exists. Other than Spaceship Earth and the Land pavilion, it's all random place settings.

It's funny, using the "it's outdated" argument, ToT was past it's due date before the first rider ever experienced it, considering it was intentionally designed in a 30's-40's time period. It's timeless, as DESIGNED.
I mean no "original intent" ever did exist in physical form.

Cesar R M

DHS should have space.
Yo Marni, how many empty soundboots, soundstudios and buildings are empty and ready to use at DHS? Or are they all used backstage? (like those where the old Jack Sparrow ride was, or the old frozen sing along). What happened to the American Idol huge building ?

BREAKING: Space Mountain moving to DHS, replacing Tower of Terror.

Should have finished with : "SPACE MOUNTAIN TO DHS CONFIRMED! TAKE THAT ATHEISTS!!!" :hilarious:

Brer Oswald

For all those saying Zootopia should go into DAK or Splash, thank God you guys are not imagineers! Seems PAINFULLY obvious that this
CfT6AIcUIAAf-jU.jpg

doesn't belong anywhere near either of those locations.

It's a shame about those Streets of America though.
I never said Zootopia SHOULD ago in Splash, nobody did. Look at my profile, Splash is my favourite attraction, if Disney is going to touch it, it better be for enhancements based on the SotS theme. As for AK, it would diversify the park, and we said that they should separate it from the main view of the park. You would have to take a train ride to get to it, making it a separate park inside of a park.

Beholder

I mean no "original intent" ever did exist in physical form.

Excuse my obtuseness, but I'm not sure what you mean. Original intent as in various theoretical futures, technologies, medicine, energy consumption and land conservation? Then those things were indeed represented in physical form, the original pavilions were designed to conceptualize and illustrate the various "possibilities". Again, forgive my confusion.

Brer Oswald

Excuse my obtuseness, but I'm not sure what you mean. Original intent as in various theoretical futures, technologies, medicine, energy consumption and land conservation? Then those things were indeed represented in physical form, the original pavilions were designed to conceptualize and illustrate the various "possibilities". Again, forgive my confusion.
Sorry, I was referring to Walt Disney's E.P.C.O.T., an original concept that never did exist in physical form.

Phil12

With all the talk about relevance or not of the Twilight Zone, I can tell you that it has no relevance at all to most Europeans. But ToT at WDS Paris is an immensely popular ride. People love it even though they have no clue about the TV series. The show works on its own, that it is derived from a specific IP is totally irrelevant. That is what made classic Disney attractions great.

I agree. Switching out one IP for another will be easy. The IP is only important to help sell the brand. Replacing Twilight Zone with GotG will not create a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom