A Spirited Valentine ...

TalkingHead

Of course. It's a textbook example of load redistribution to other rides and over distribution. I even took a photo of the queue I was suprised to see it so long late in the day (like 5pm). I think it's a great attraction so at least it's worth it. It's just sad for the old pros who used to know if they waited they could be almost walk on.

Yep, that was our experience, too. Late afternoon, a pretty full standby queue that was hardy moving. Like you said, in the old days, that was prime walk-on time (or 5 min wait time).

Is there more than one show? (I've not read up on it). It was the same show both times I saw it. Your comment about the show times brings up one peeve about the MDE app. 'Show Times' is something that should be right in the menu on the IOS app! Instead it's only a tab on the Home screen. I think its big enough they should have put it on the main menu like they have FP+ and wait times.

I think there's also a Paul Revere show, but I didn't see it. I hadn't really used MDE before, and I can see how it's useful for locals who drop in for a few hours at the end of the day. We didn't really plan our trip far in advance, but still didn't have trouble getting FP+ except for Seven Dwarfs and Frozen. I agree the show times could be a little more prominently featured on the app.

I actually missed the castle projection show because I didn't know it was happening due to the confusion over seeing 'what is happening' vs my other common visit points in the app. On another note.. was surprised to see how many people using paper maps still :) Maps is another thing that maybe should be in the main menu.

Wishes I don't have a problem with.. at least it's not pop stuff. That bothers me. The Wishes song at least isn't so pigeon holed in a point in time of pop tastes.

I liked the castle projection show a lot. It felt a little more classic with the references to some of the older films. Judging by the title, "Happily Ever After" sounds like it could be a cavity-sweet tribute to the princesses. That could be rough.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I do see what everyone is saying about it appearing to be basically all CGI. I wasn't really 'taken out of' enjoying the ride but it was noticeable. I enjoyed it but my theater didn't clap and I'm pretty sure everyone applauded after the California version. It was a little bit of a let down. I liked ending at Epcot and I like that it goes around the world but they should have done better. I think I was directed to the new theater. Wait times for it didn't seem bad but I was able to get a FP day of. I had to keep checking though.

I had a FP from Guest Relations (since they couldn't exchange my ticket except for 'day of') which was nice and I think I was in theater A.

It's nice to see the characters trotted on stage but that's all it is, a photo opportunity for guests to see the characters. I get it, but they can do a lot better and should do a lot better than this. I do enjoy watching Jedi Training Academy though.
[...]
I don't think they were but I can't say. It was cute but it's a bit bizarre to see guests pack the streets like it's an actual parade coming down. They really should combine the stage show and stormtrooper march into an actual parade IMO

As long as expectations are in check.. I'm ok with it. Plus, because it's a temp stage and not dedicating the hub to that. I like that the storm troopers have the pre-recorded clips for interacting with guests when walking around. The natural parade vs walled off is nice too. It's a good addition.. nothing to make a trip about.. but the kind of add-ons you can expect from Disney.

I did too. I'm with you in that I hope there's plenty of fireworks in the new show. It's what the guests want. I'm all for projections, lasers, whatever but don't cut the fireworks. I am a little disappointed I forgot about Once Upon a Time even though I had made a point to want to try and catch it. I ended up on the Jungle Cruise because it was just about walk on after seeing it packed all day. I like it at night.

+1

gmajew

Premium Member
This not really directed at you two specifically, but I think it really speaks volumes about what the park experience has become. You have to play the Fastpass game to "win" the most rides rather than just take your time and enjoy the parks. I realize it's probably a necessary evil now, but I really enjoyed it so much more when you could just immerse yourself in whatever land or country you chose, and maybe wait in line for some of the rides if you needed to. I'm sure some of it has to do with the obscene ticket prices (got to get your money's worth!), but it's probably more to do with the faster pace of things now too and the instant gratification that has become the norm. I'll stick with enjoying old age.

I disagree I got to do all if that still and had a very relaxed vacation. It allowed me to make sure I got on my favorite rides when I wanted to and then gave me the flexibility to do what else I wanted to during the day. I was able to stroll MK and go into all the shops same at Epcot. And not feel rushed as I knew I had my spot in line reserved for those harder to get rides.

No is the system perfect and are you moving things around sure you are but I did it because my mood changed or I wanted to spend more time at a certain part of the park.

I enjoy getting to the parks when it open crowds are light and I don't like staying late as I don't want my kids to see the punks running around. Even though the parks late at night are very very cool. I like to be home by 9 or 10 as I am an early riser.

gmajew

Premium Member
I found the parks to be busy, but not obscene. Dhs on Tuesday night was flat out empty. Wednesday was very tolerable in dhs and MK with the exception that the big people eaters were still usually 30mins or more. But times were mostly 30-60mins... even for things like the mine train. Heck I was able to get a Peter Pan FP day of :)

Thursday was significantly more busy... and I didn't ride a whole lot of stuff as most waits were north of 30mins. I did more shows. All in all I found the crowds largely inline with crowd calander expectations of 7/10.

I was focusing on things I had not done in person yet.

Frozen was my biggest wait at 60mins (posted was 70... mid day wed). I liked it... except the whole segments leading into and out of the Elsa scene are completely barren... especially noticeable on the outbound reverse section. Yuk!

Test track 2.0? Again... barren. I think it's quite the letdown compared to 1.0 (which was horribly outdated and needed a refresh).

Soarin - wait times clearly have been helped with the new theater. This one is till loved by the crowd but I think is a downgrade and shows a lack of desire for perfection in the show producers. Clearly no one thought about the image distortion when designing it... the Paris scene is embarrassing. The Taj Mahal looks really bad. The cgi animals are mostly fine. The gag cuts the crowds likes but I find to be so uninspired compared to the emotional pulls of most of the previous ones. The new one has zero sense of hang gliding at all... every scene is too fast and seems to have little credible movement. The old film started you out with more gliding sequences and then advanced to into the faster, more just pure flight scenes the desperate you got into it.

Soarin feels like an imitation that lacks the heart of the original.

Sse wait times were very high and didn't ride because of them.

New tsmm track clearly was helping. Waits were usually less than an hour (and saw 35min!! On Tuesday).

Star Wars stage show was ok for people wanting just to see characters. Hint... watch from behind the stage to get one on one engagement with the characters as they return to their tents. The Star Wars projection show would have been nice as some filler show... but not as a park anchor. Would not tell someone to invest 60mins saving a spot for it. Even my "pure customer" coworker with me said he wouldn't keep his 8yr old up if he was cranky to see the show. Unfortunately the poor sightlines for much of the viewing areas I'm sure will cause a lot of complaints and more changes to the central hub. Those show towers are fugly!

The storm trooper march is cute. Were those speakers along Hollywood bvld on the roofs always there? Pretty out of character for the buildings.

Huge thumbs up to the new muppets production in liberty square. Live performance, good acting, good script, good setting. My only concern is people less familiar with the characters may get offended by the "only the American parts..." gag. Maybe they should have given Sam the eagle a bit more of an intro to lead into that gag.

Festival parade I really liked too. I think it hits on all the buttons you want from a Disney parade with really no negatives to mention.

Made a point to see wishes too. I sure hope this is not the end of high altitude, big boom fireworks in the MK. Fireworks with music needs to be the lead act... not a costar!

I disagree with you here on the Starwars fireworks and laser show. Thought it was incredibly well done and a great overall show. I did have prime seating for it but was so glad we got to experience it. My boys faces were priceless when the ships appeared to be firing above head.

I will agree n[big time the muppets show in liberty square was awesome and so well done. Great addition that we actually watched it several times during trip it is for sure worth seeing. Hope they keep that stuff up.

GiveMeTheMusic

Makes sense. Any word on timing of that? I've been reading a bit over on the ou forums and haven't found a timeline for when dragon challenge will close. Finally made it over to uni for the first time and dragon challenge seemed out of place there so imo a replacement is needed and would be welcome. Hoping for a nice dark ride

It will be a roller coaster with a first-in-Central-Florida ride system.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I disagree with you here on the Starwars fireworks and laser show. Thought it was incredibly well done and a great overall show. I did have prime seating for it but was so glad we got to experience it. My boys faces were priceless when the ships appeared to be firing above head.

It was ok.. and the laser effects were good. But it's not the kind of entertainment I'm really pysch'd up to invest in seeing. The fireworks aren't really integrated except for the roof-top stuff. The new fireworks launch site and orientation to the park is baffling and 'poor' (that's being generous). Every viewing spot except those directly in the courtyard is bad. Disney doesn't help guests know AT ALL where viewing locations are. Imagine taking your 6yr old.. wandering around trying to find a good spot.. and then finding you can't see most of the show. Disney could help here alot.

I think the bad setup will lead to customers complaining.. and could lead to Disney making more changes to the park just to make the show fit instead of realizing it's a poor application for the space. That's what I fear.

I generally liked the projection content and the outline of the show. I think there is a place for this type of content.. I'm just not sure if 'anchor evening show' is really the right place for it. Scaled back into a 'multiple times a day' type of show similar to the muppets or stage shows could be more appropriate. The castle projection show was a big showcase for projection mapping.. when you take that away and just make it a big projection screen... then it just becomes a big multimedia show and less of a performance. My .02c. I mean the opening and closing where they make use of the building shape is cool.. the rest.. meh. I mean the best part is how the lasers and rooftop pyro is integrated in the battle sequences. Stuff that outside the courtyard is completely lost. It just a poor fit for the the space more than anything I think.

I'm just amazed Indy hasn't been reworked into a SW live action stunt show.

gmajew

Premium Member
It was ok.. and the laser effects were good. But it's not the kind of entertainment I'm really pysch'd up to invest in seeing. The fireworks aren't really integrated except for the roof-top stuff. The new fireworks launch site and orientation to the park is baffling and 'poor' (that's being generous). Every viewing spot except those directly in the courtyard is bad. Disney doesn't help guests know AT ALL where viewing locations are. Imagine taking your 6yr old.. wandering around trying to find a good spot.. and then finding you can't see most of the show. Disney could help here alot.

I think the bad setup will lead to customers complaining.. and could lead to Disney making more changes to the park just to make the show fit instead of realizing it's a poor application for the space. That's what I fear.

I generally liked the projection content and the outline of the show. I think there is a place for this type of content.. I'm just not sure if 'anchor evening show' is really the right place for it. Scaled back into a 'multiple times a day' type of show similar to the muppets or stage shows could be more appropriate. The castle projection show was a big showcase for projection mapping.. when you take that away and just make it a big projection screen... then it just becomes a big multimedia show and less of a performance. My .02c. I mean the opening and closing where they make use of the building shape is cool.. the rest.. meh. I mean the best part is how the lasers and rooftop pyro is integrated in the battle sequences. Stuff that outside the courtyard is completely lost. It just a poor fit for the the space more than anything I think.

I'm just amazed Indy hasn't been reworked into a SW live action stunt show.

I was in the courtyard so I can see what your saying. The view I had was incredible and really made you feel like it was above you.

I don't think this show stays though for ever. No way to seat the people that will be coming when the new stuff opens. I think it is just a way to stop some bleeding from the park.

Thanks phoenicians

Well it's not as exciting as the patents. And to put it kindly, I also have concerns about how many Orlando guests will be able to ride comfortably, so we'll see.
Imo depending on the intensity it'll still probably have a better ridership than DC even with the uncomfortable design. Any word on when the Universal blvd land by the convention center will be developed? With all of the work on this, nintendo, hotels, and building up transportation i'd think it's still a while off.

TiggerDad

Every viewing spot except those directly in the courtyard is bad. Disney doesn't help guests know AT ALL where viewing locations are. Imagine taking your 6yr old.. wandering around trying to find a good spot.. and then finding you can't see most of the show. Disney could help here alot.
I learned this the hard way in December.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom