A Spirited Valentine ...

DDLand

Well it's not as exciting as the patents. And to put it kindly, I also have concerns about how many Orlando guests will be able to ride comfortably, so we'll see.
Is it something like Tron/FoP? People have brought up some potential discomfort with heavier guests boarding and offloading those ride vehicles. Having been on Tron, I could see where that could be a problem.

Frankly I'm disappointed, I was hoping they would finally catch up to Disney and add a roller coaster with swinging cars. ;)

rushtest4echo

It was ok.. and the laser effects were good. But it's not the kind of entertainment I'm really pysch'd up to invest in seeing. The fireworks aren't really integrated except for the roof-top stuff. The new fireworks launch site and orientation to the park is baffling and 'poor' (that's being generous). Every viewing spot except those directly in the courtyard is bad. Disney doesn't help guests know AT ALL where viewing locations are. Imagine taking your 6yr old.. wandering around trying to find a good spot.. and then finding you can't see most of the show. Disney could help here alot.

I think the bad setup will lead to customers complaining.. and could lead to Disney making more changes to the park just to make the show fit instead of realizing it's a poor application for the space. That's what I fear.

I generally liked the projection content and the outline of the show. I think there is a place for this type of content.. I'm just not sure if 'anchor evening show' is really the right place for it. Scaled back into a 'multiple times a day' type of show similar to the muppets or stage shows could be more appropriate. The castle projection show was a big showcase for projection mapping.. when you take that away and just make it a big projection screen... then it just becomes a big multimedia show and less of a performance. My .02c. I mean the opening and closing where they make use of the building shape is cool.. the rest.. meh. I mean the best part is how the lasers and rooftop pyro is integrated in the battle sequences. Stuff that outside the courtyard is completely lost. It just a poor fit for the the space more than anything I think.

I'm just amazed Indy hasn't been reworked into a SW live action stunt show.

I'm SHOCKED that Steve Davison didn't do SWAGS. It's all so poorly set up for good viewing areas that I thought "there's no way Steve didn't do this!" Alas, it seems someone else like him is just as clueless when it comes to viewing angles (they probably did Rivers of Light too). It's incredible that they thought that the aerial pyro for the Studios is acceptable from that location. Reminds me of Remember and World of Color at Disneyland- where something like 10% of the show's viewers get "excellent" views, then 40% get "okay" views and the other 50% get "horrid" views. I know that one day it'll fit just fine into the new entrance to DHS, but in the mean time it's terrible.

Having said all of that- we usually waltz right up to the plaza area and get a good spot for the show about 15 minutes before showtime. I feel bad for people that aren't in the plaza, but we get a spectacular show every time because we're up there. Between the lasers, projections, rooftop pyro and the great sound system- I hadn't felt as immersed in a pyro show as that since my first viewing of Remember (which was made all the more awesome because there were 10 of us in the hub watching it before it debuted- truly one of the best experiences of my theme park life). The show is just so hub-centric (again, just like Remember). Still, aside from the terrible launch location for the aerials, the show is just stunning if you're in the plaza with a good view!

I wish more people could get the same experience from further down the street. :( It's almost as if the show's designers were unwilling to compromise/adjust stuff so that the majority of the audience could get a "great" show, in order to protect the "awesome show" angle that only a few know about/are lucky enough to see. It's so common on night shows these days. The latest Universal Craptacular has a similar problem too. I wonder if they bother to stand around watching the show from all the different angles that a guest would be watching it from. Instead it feels like they're concerned with how it looks from the tech booth. It's like taking Fantasmic and only having one water screen in the middle, and saying "well the 70% of the audience that are on the sides just won't see it very well, they should sit closer to the middle".

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

I was never a fan of ToT's placement (or the ride for that matter) at DCA anyway, but that's just disgusting. Maybe it'll fit once Hyperion and Animation get Marvel makeovers and the avengers ride gets built (which now looks slated for 4 parks - HKDL, Shanghai, DCA and DSP).

po1998

Soarin - wait times clearly have been helped with the new theater. This one is till loved by the crowd but I think is a downgrade and shows a lack of desire for perfection in the show producers. Clearly no one thought about the image distortion when designing it... the Paris scene is embarrassing. The Taj Mahal looks really bad. The cgi animals are mostly fine. The gag cuts the crowds likes but I find to be so uninspired compared to the emotional pulls of most of the previous ones. The new one has zero sense of hang gliding at all... every scene is too fast and seems to have little credible movement. The old film started you out with more gliding sequences and then advanced to into the faster, more just pure flight scenes the desperate you got into it.

Soarin feels like an imitation that lacks the heart of the original.
I am really disappointed to hear when an attraction upgrade is completed, and it turns out not to be an upgrade. :( :(

Princess Leia

giphy.gif

rushtest4echo

I am really disappointed to hear when an attraction upgrade is completed, and it turns out not to be an upgrade. :( :(

I'd consider it to be a lateral move on the quality of the film. Digital projection and seeing world landmarks is sort of marred by the banana Eiffel Tower and the CG Taj Mahal. Still I think it's a fair trade and to me the ride's about as good as it was before (which is to say one of my favorite attractions). Capacity is excellent now, definitely an improvement there.

The warping on the screen is turrible though. We don't bother with anything by B-1 now because at least up there it's not nearly as bad. Still, there's a reason that original Soarin avoided certain angles and scenes and that careful planning seems to have gone out the window here.

Quinnmac000

Disney had the 3rd (Rogue One), 4th (Finding dory), 5th (Zootopia), 6th (Jungle book), 8th (Captain America), 11th (Doctor Strange), and 12th (Moana) most profitable movies of 2016. The profit was based off production budgets, P&A, talent participations and other costs that collide with box office grosses and ancillary revenues from VOD to DVD and TV.

Universal was at #1 most profitable with Secret life of pets making 374 million after a total cost of 317 million. Fox had #2 with Deadpool. with a profit of 321 million. Rogue one rang in #3 making 319 in profit for the Dis.

doctornick

Exactly. Despite how popular animation is, Hollywood has no respect for it. Just look at the Oscars.

While that may be true, "Hollywood" has "no respect" for a lot of stuff in the entertainment industry. I don't think there's much respect for live animation of fairy tales any more than there is for animated family friendly films.

And don't even get Hollywood types started on comic book films....

Point being that lots of popular films -- if not virtually all of them -- are scoffed at by the Hollywood elite. I'm skeptical that making live action versions of animated films has anything to do with making "real" versions of the originals; it's really just about about producing films that are expected to be popular and draw people in, just like all the other sequels, reboots, combined universes, etc that Hollywood is going overboard on these days.

I mean, they don't keep remaking (for example) King Kong just because the original wasn't "legitimate" enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom