A Spirited Valentine ...

Kman101

In years past I also use the single rider line for test track. My kids are old enough to do this now so we can always get on.

Very true. I didn't necessarily go out of my way to get on it, so I'm sure I could have. I don't recall noticing what the wait time was for single rider.

gmajew

Premium Member
Very true. I didn't necessarily go out of my way to get on it, so I'm sure I could have. I don't recall noticing what the wait time was for single rider.

Was under 25 min when I was in park. Had friends wait when we used our fast pass and they all beat us out.

brb1006

So apparently Disney's efforts to embed themselves in China have resulted in another Stitch spinoff series, "Stitch and Ai"
tumblr_ons989NDKa1sa3t1go1_540.png

http://m.xinhuanet.com/2017-03/27/c_1120703040.htm
Well it least that's a new way for introducing Stitch to Chinese audiences.

michmousefan

All joking aside about the look of the Guardians Tower... I suppose I should await final judgement to see how the ride is and how the exterior looks at night. Will WDI create some cool lighting effects or will they just throw a few colored spotlights on the building?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I couldn't believe they had Stitch closed this week with how bad times were. Pirates was down just about all day 3/29. FP was definitely a blessing this week. And wait times weren't always accurate, but it's hard to say "accurate" when so many factors come into play with them. Test Track got up to 110 minutes on 3/28.

I found the parks to be busy, but not obscene. Dhs on Tuesday night was flat out empty. Wednesday was very tolerable in dhs and MK with the exception that the big people eaters were still usually 30mins or more. But times were mostly 30-60mins... even for things like the mine train. Heck I was able to get a Peter Pan FP day of :)

Thursday was significantly more busy... and I didn't ride a whole lot of stuff as most waits were north of 30mins. I did more shows. All in all I found the crowds largely inline with crowd calander expectations of 7/10.

I was focusing on things I had not done in person yet.

Frozen was my biggest wait at 60mins (posted was 70... mid day wed). I liked it... except the whole segments leading into and out of the Elsa scene are completely barren... especially noticeable on the outbound reverse section. Yuk!

Test track 2.0? Again... barren. I think it's quite the letdown compared to 1.0 (which was horribly outdated and needed a refresh).

Soarin - wait times clearly have been helped with the new theater. This one is till loved by the crowd but I think is a downgrade and shows a lack of desire for perfection in the show producers. Clearly no one thought about the image distortion when designing it... the Paris scene is embarrassing. The Taj Mahal looks really bad. The cgi animals are mostly fine. The gag cuts the crowds likes but I find to be so uninspired compared to the emotional pulls of most of the previous ones. The new one has zero sense of hang gliding at all... every scene is too fast and seems to have little credible movement. The old film started you out with more gliding sequences and then advanced to into the faster, more just pure flight scenes the desperate you got into it.

Soarin feels like an imitation that lacks the heart of the original.

Sse wait times were very high and didn't ride because of them.

New tsmm track clearly was helping. Waits were usually less than an hour (and saw 35min!! On Tuesday).

Star Wars stage show was ok for people wanting just to see characters. Hint... watch from behind the stage to get one on one engagement with the characters as they return to their tents. The Star Wars projection show would have been nice as some filler show... but not as a park anchor. Would not tell someone to invest 60mins saving a spot for it. Even my "pure customer" coworker with me said he wouldn't keep his 8yr old up if he was cranky to see the show. Unfortunately the poor sightlines for much of the viewing areas I'm sure will cause a lot of complaints and more changes to the central hub. Those show towers are ugly!

The storm trooper march is cute. Were those speakers along Hollywood bvld on the roofs always there? Pretty out of character for the buildings.

Huge thumbs up to the new muppets production in liberty square. Live performance, good acting, good script, good setting. My only concern is people less familiar with the characters may get offended by the "only the American parts..." gag. Maybe they should have given Sam the eagle a bit more of an intro to lead into that gag.

Festival parade I really liked too. I think it hits on all the buttons you want from a Disney parade with really no negatives to mention.

Made a point to see wishes too. I sure hope this is not the end of high altitude, big boom fireworks in the MK. Fireworks with music needs to be the lead act... not a costar!

Nemo14

Yeah fast pass was a blessing this week. Actually worked out good for us all week where we got to ride 10-12 rides every day plus attractions. But we also go to park at opening to knock out a few mountains every day we were at the MK.

We did realize that wait times listed were about 20% high unless a ton of fast pass walked in after another show or parade.

Agreed about getting there at opening. It makes a world of difference if you plan smart. I have to say I was pleased with my FP selecting and the ability to go in and edit them and then choose another one if I had used them all up. I really do like the new system if you know how to use it. I got quite a bit accomplished. I never really struggled to get a FP for anything. I even snagged one for Mine Train at 10:25 at night. So it's not impossible, you just have to keep checking for times and availability. Frozen on the other hand? I never saw it pop up. But I thankfully only waited about 35 minutes in a possible 90 minute line. It was a one and done for me but I had to at least experience it. It wasn't as awful as some want it to be, placement sucks, but it's not bad. It could use a bit of work and the lighting was kinda terrible, but I can at least check it off.

This not really directed at you two specifically, but I think it really speaks volumes about what the park experience has become. You have to play the Fastpass game to "win" the most rides rather than just take your time and enjoy the parks. I realize it's probably a necessary evil now, but I really enjoyed it so much more when you could just immerse yourself in whatever land or country you chose, and maybe wait in line for some of the rides if you needed to. I'm sure some of it has to do with the obscene ticket prices (got to get your money's worth!), but it's probably more to do with the faster pace of things now too and the instant gratification that has become the norm. I'll stick with enjoying old age.

TalkingHead

I found the parks to be busy, but not obscene. Dhs on Tuesday night was flat out empty. Wednesday was very tolerable in dhs and MK with the exception that the big people eaters were still usually 30mins or more. But times were mostly 30-60mins... even for things like the mine train. Heck I was able to get a Peter Pan FP day of :)

Thursday was significantly more busy... and I didn't ride a whole lot of stuff as most waits were north of 30mins. I did more shows. All in all I found the crowds largely inline with crowd calander expectations of 7/10.

Two weeks ago the parks were slammed, but it sounds like last week was slightly better.

Soarin...The gag cuts the crowds likes but I find to be so uninspired compared to the emotional pulls of most of the previous ones. The new one has zero sense of hang gliding at all... every scene is too fast and seems to have little credible movement. The old film started you out with more gliding sequences and then advanced to into the faster, more just pure flight scenes the desperate you got into it.

I wasn't impressed with the new Soarin'. The "takeoff" used to occur in the dark, so that the film began and you were already hoisted in the air. It masked how high you were and helped sell the illusion you were elevated in the sky. The new version bungles this. The clouds on the screen during loading help to give the room more atmosphere, but the takeoff sequence loses a lot of dramatic punch.

Are they "gag cuts" or jump scares? Whatever they are, I hated them. They run completely counter to the tranquility of the score and scenery. Totally jarring interruptions in what is otherwise a peaceful, exhilarating travelogue. It's things like that which make you wonder if the Imagineers understood why the ride was popular to begin with.

And, all things considered, the queue is still the worst for an E-ticket.

I wonder if SSE has seen its average wait times jump up as a result of FP+. Late in the day, we stood in the standby line for 10 minutes and hardly moved before bailing.

Huge thumbs up to the new muppets production in liberty square. Live performance, good acting, good script, good setting. My only concern is people less familiar with the characters may get offended by the "only the American parts..." gag. Maybe they should have given Sam the eagle a bit more of an intro to lead into that gag.

I only saw the Declaration of Independence show, but it was fantastic. Absolutely worth picking up a times guide (which I never do) so you can plan to see it in its entirety.

Made a point to see wishes too. I sure hope this is not the end of high altitude, big boom fireworks in the MK. Fireworks with music needs to be the lead act... not a costar!

Hoping the music for the next show is better. I get that Disney is supposed to be sentimental, but Wishes has always seemed downright saccharine.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I couldn't believe they had Stitch closed this week with how bad times were. Pirates was down just about all day 3/29. FP was definitely a blessing this week. And wait times weren't always accurate, but it's hard to say "accurate" when so many factors come into play with them. Test Track got up to 110 minutes on 3/28.
Margin me boys, Margin is all

Kman101

Margin me boys, Margin is all

Not to feed into it, but I do have to wonder why Pirates was closed so much that day. Everything looked fine. The mist projection worked, etc. Can anyone shed light on what was going on? I know there's a poster on here with 'ghost' in the name that seems to have an inside track on the Pirates ride ...

Kman101

Phew. Fixed this. LOL

I agree, the parks were busy but not obscene. I was looking at wait times and then the crowds and it was actually very manageable to me. I enjoyed my time there and wasn't overwhelmed by the crowds. There were some obscene waits but I did notice most average around 60 minutes. I personally didn't wait very long for much due to good use of FP and smart planning. I too was able to snag Peter Pan day of. It's just a matter of making an effort to try.

Thursday was my Animal Kingdom day and I noticed how busy it was there. I didn't venture to any other parks that day.

I was focusing on things I had not done in person yet.

Same. I'm able to go whenever I want (well, day trips when a job doesn't get in the way, LOL) so I played tourist and did a lot of different things or things I hadn't been on in a long time.

Frozen was my biggest wait at 60mins (posted was 70... mid day wed). I liked it... except the whole segments leading into and out of the Elsa scene are completely barren... especially noticeable on the outbound reverse section. Yuk!

Yes, I agree about the barren parts. I'm also not super fond of the Olaf skating and then Anna/Kristoff/Sven part for some reason. It seems so bare. I don't know. It just felt a little lacking to me

Test track 2.0? Again... barren. I think it's quite the letdown compared to 1.0 (which was horribly outdated and needed a refresh).

Soarin - wait times clearly have been helped with the new theater. This one is till loved by the crowd but I think is a downgrade and shows a lack of desire for perfection in the show producers. Clearly no one thought about the image distortion when designing it... the Paris scene is embarrassing. The Taj Mahal looks really bad. The cgi animals are mostly fine. The gag cuts the crowds likes but I find to be so uninspired compared to the emotional pulls of most of the previous ones. The new one has zero sense of hang gliding at all... every scene is too fast and seems to have little credible movement. The old film started you out with more gliding sequences and then advanced to into the faster, more just pure flight scenes the desperate you got into it.

I do see what everyone is saying about it appearing to be basically all CGI. I wasn't really 'taken out of' enjoying the ride but it was noticeable. I enjoyed it but my theater didn't clap and I'm pretty sure everyone applauded after the California version. It was a little bit of a let down. I liked ending at Epcot and I like that it goes around the world but they should have done better. I think I was directed to the new theater. Wait times for it didn't seem bad but I was able to get a FP day of. I had to keep checking though.

Soarin feels like an imitation that lacks the heart of the original.

Same. Everytime I walked by the entire outdoor queue was full. It was kind of off-putting to see. I did have a FP initially but I edited it for a Soarin' one. (Edit: I have to say I don't like reserving a FP for SSE. I'm just so used to walking right on it. It bothered me ...)

New tsmm track clearly was helping. Waits were usually less than an hour (and saw 35min!! On Tuesday).

Same for the wait times. The third track definitely helps but I don't hit this one.

Star Wars stage show was ok for people wanting just to see characters. Hint... watch from behind the stage to get one on one engagement with the characters as they return to their tents. The Star Wars projection show would have been nice as some filler show... but not as a park anchor. Would not tell someone to invest 60mins saving a spot for it. Even my "pure customer" coworker with me said he wouldn't keep his 8yr old up if he was cranky to see the show. Unfortunately the poor sightlines for much of the viewing areas I'm sure will cause a lot of complaints and more changes to the central hub. Those show towers are fugly!

It's nice to see the characters trotted on stage but that's all it is, a photo opportunity for guests to see the characters. I get it, but they can do a lot better and should do a lot better than this. I do enjoy watching Jedi Training Academy though.

The storm trooper march is cute. Were those speakers along Hollywood bvld on the roofs always there? Pretty out of character for the buildings.

I don't think they were but I can't say. It was cute but it's a bit bizarre to see guests pack the streets like it's an actual parade coming down. They really should combine the stage show and stormtrooper march into an actual parade IMO

Good point about giving Sam a bit more of an intro. But the crowd I was in seemed to know the Muppets and 'get it', or at least the people I was around. It was a great show. I made a point to see it a few times. I second the huge thumbs up. This one was a winner. I just think people don't get that humor of "only the American parts". I mean, clearly it's a gag ... laugh folks!

Festival parade I really liked too. I think it hits on all the buttons you want from a Disney parade with really no negatives to mention.

It's a solid parade. I greedily would have liked another float or two to 'fill it out' but they did a really good job and I like not seeing it cut to bits like other parades. I didn't stop for it this time but I've seen it in the past. I also wanted to catch Royal Friendship Fare but didn't

I did too. I'm with you in that I hope there's plenty of fireworks in the new show. It's what the guests want. I'm all for projections, lasers, whatever but don't cut the fireworks. I am a little disappointed I forgot about Once Upon a Time even though I had made a point to want to try and catch it. I ended up on the Jungle Cruise because it was just about walk on after seeing it packed all day. I like it at night.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Are they "gag cuts" or jump scares? Whatever they are, I hated them. They run completely counter to the tranquility of the score and scenery. Totally jarring interruptions in what is otherwise a peaceful, exhilarating travelogue. It's things like that which make you wonder if the Imagineers understood why the ride was popular to begin with.

The old film was like a classical music piece that moved you... even with your eyes closed and regardless of who played it. The new one is like a guy trying to be famous by copying other things they've seen done and putting them together or overcompensating with a big guitar solo :) It really feels like they made the film.. then put it on the big screen and said "oops, too late now!". The thoughtful imagineer would avoid images that exaggerated the curve.. or at least kept it managable (like the old bay bridge scene). Even the desert scene suffers from it now.. and the Eiffel tower is an embarrassment - like, change the film now bad.

I wonder if SSE has seen its average wait times jump up as a result of FP+. Late in the day, we stood in the standby line for 10 minutes and hardly moved before bailing.

Of course. It's a textbook example of load redistribution to other rides and over distribution. I even took a photo of the queue I was suprised to see it so long late in the day (like 5pm). I think it's a great attraction so at least it's worth it. It's just sad for the old pros who used to know if they waited they could be almost walk on.

I only saw the Declaration of Independence show, but it was fantastic. Absolutely worth picking up a times guide (which I never do) so you can plan to see it in its entirety.

Is there more than one show? (I've not read up on it). It was the same show both times I saw it. Your comment about the show times brings up one peeve about the MDE app. 'Show Times' is something that should be right in the menu on the IOS app! Instead it's only a tab on the Home screen. I think its big enough they should have put it on the main menu like they have FP+ and wait times.

I actually missed the castle projection show because I didn't know it was happening due to the confusion over seeing 'what is happening' vs my other common visit points in the app. On another note.. was surprised to see how many people using paper maps still :) Maps is another thing that maybe should be in the main menu.

Hoping the music for the next show is better. I get that Disney is supposed to be sentimental, but Wishes has always seemed downright saccharine.

Wishes I don't have a problem with.. at least it's not pop stuff. That bothers me. The Wishes song at least isn't so pigeon holed in a point in time of pop tastes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom