A Spirited Valentine ...

doctornick

Animation's lack of legitimacy is shown through many other ways. Though in this regard films that are almost entirely animated being called live action is a big signifier. There is respectability in a live action remake that there is not in an animated remake.

I think it has more to do with marketing of why you need to see the "new" version of the same story. It being "live action" is a way to sell to the masses that it is new and different than the previous film, not necessary "better".

lazyboy97o

I think it has more to do with marketing of why you need to see the "new" version of the same story. It being "live action" is a way to sell to the masses that it is new and different than the previous film, not necessary "better".
"Live action" is not really used in the marketing. The films being mostly animated is a fact that has been pushed against.

Quinnmac000

Tokyo Disneyland attendance continued to decline last year.

Tokyo DisneySea, the sister park to Tokyo Disneyland, also marked 15 years since it opened, but bad weather led to a small drop in visitors, according to operator Oriental Land Co. Combined admissions at the two parks - located in Chiba, just northeast of Tokyo - fell by 0.6 percent to a little more than 30 million, dropping for the second year on the bounce.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...6m-tokyo-disneyland-numbers-fall-again-990968

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
giphy.gif

IMG_0562.jpg

MonkeyHead

This is an ACTUAL NON-SARCASTIC QUOTE:

"It's incredible how much they think through this stuff.

When all is said and done, this may actually be the most meaningful attraction in Disney California Adventure. This ride is bringing the park to levels of detail and thought previously unseen. Unlike the fluff filled Radiator Springs Racers that is all about essentially nothing, this attraction's meaning is starting to come into focus.

A commentary on rejecting normal. Being willing to circumvent bad systems. The power of an individual to overpower the collective. The idea is to "Breakout." Breakout of conformity.

This is a ride with a message."

Absimilliard

This goes to show they waited way too long to do an expansion to Tokyo DisneySea. As good as the park is, it had too little added since opening while Universal Studios Japan is going full steam and beat Tokyo DisneySea in attendance last year. Soarin' is a nice addition, but the Scandinavian port can't come soon enough.

Quinnmac000

This goes to show they waited way too long to do an expansion to Tokyo DisneySea. As good as the park is, it had too little added since opening while Universal Studios Japan is going full steam and beat Tokyo DisneySea in attendance last year. Soarin' is a nice addition, but the Scandinavian port can't come soon enough.

I mean its hard to beat 3 completely unique and different seasonal overlays for attractions most at no additional charge, an almost daily concert but one of japan's most popular groups included with admission, and a 90 minute show which had 99% guest satisfaction rating for the past 4 years for their 15th anniversary compared to TDS which only had special shows and limited edition merchandise.

Absimilliard

I mean its hard to beat 3 completely unique and different seasonal overlays for attractions most at no additional charge, an almost daily concert but one of japan's most popular groups included with admission, and a 90 minute show which had 99% guest satisfaction rating for the past 4 years for their 15th anniversary compared to TDS which only had special shows and limited edition merchandise.

I fully agree. I went to USJ last June and I had to book 150$ worth of Universal Express to get everything done in a single day. It was an incredible experience and if USF did the same thing in Florida, we'd be looking at a serious rival for the Magic Kingdom. Alas, old habits are hard to break and I am still waiting for Universal in Florida to do an innovative and unique non IP attraction like Space Fantasy. No IP, incredible capacity and a great experience.

Kman101

Here's the thing about GOTG: Mission Cashgrab. No one has been on the actual ride itself. They don't know how good it is and we don't know how bad it could be. It could very well be a fun and good attraction (I'm going to guess maybe no ...) shoehorned into the wrong place (and believe me, it was and is in the wrong place), like many things. None of us have gone on it. I can't really seem to get through that thread in the Disneyland forum and while some of them may genuinely be excited for it (and, as wrong as it appears to many of us, many WILL like it, we all have different tastes), it comes off as trolling because they know it's hated so they praise it endlessly regardless of whether they've been on it or not.

Kman101

I've been reading the full range of posts ... and just because Joe was involved it doesn't mean it will convey the same message he wanted Animal Kingdom to. I know there's trust involved with Joe and I've said the attraction itself could actually end up being good, but it's still misplaced. The exterior? I'm 50/50.

Princess Leia

I've been reading the full range of posts ... and just because Joe was involved it doesn't mean it will convey the same message he wanted Animal Kingdom to. I know there's trust involved with Joe and I've said the attraction itself could actually end up being good, but it's still misplaced. The exterior? I'm 50/50.
I think that knowing that the original tower is under there makes it worse. As an original piece it's okay. As a tower cover up, it's pretty bad.

That being said, Orlando & Tokyo have way prettier towers. Paris has a copy of Anaheim's, so at this time, that design isn't covered up by plastic.

lazyboy97o

I think that knowing that the original tower is under there makes it worse. As an original piece it's okay. As a tower cover up, it's pretty bad.

That being said, Orlando & Tokyo have way prettier towers. Paris has a copy of Anaheim's, so at this time, that design isn't covered up by plastic.
Tokyo also has a covered up California/Paris tower. It has the same odd massing with different stuff applied to the exterior. Not nearly as bad, but still not quite right for the architectural style.

Quinnmac000

If Universal Orlando built Spashea-a-Fantashea I would personally buy a condo in Dr Phillips, get an unlimited Annual Pass and spend every free second of my time riding that thing. Just an incredible ride. I was sad to see ET go so soon, but the replacement is worth it! I was horrified to see that they VR'ed it for awhile, glad to see it's back to it's proper self now. *Looks over to my G-Bot, Sun Sprite and Kosumia plushies and smiles*

The queue, the music, the ride itself, all a masterpiece of crazyness! I only wish it were a bit longer, especially the coaster portions.

Unfortunately Youtubes of the ride/experience don't do it justice either. I wish Universal (and Disney for that matter) had the imagination and the balls to just build stuff like that here. Then again it's so off the wall/wacky I don't know if American audiences would go for it. I'll trade rip-ride-suckit for Hollywood Dream while we're at it. :)

If Disney ever truly decides to convert Spaceship Earth into a coaster (which I hope they never do) but if they do, they need to just do what it takes to make Space Fantasy happen there. :D

They already have a version of it at DLP, Crush Coaster.

Mike S

I fully agree. I went to USJ last June and I had to book 150$ worth of Universal Express to get everything done in a single day. It was an incredible experience and if USF did the same thing in Florida, we'd be looking at a serious rival for the Magic Kingdom. Alas, old habits are hard to break and I am still waiting for Universal in Florida to do an innovative and unique non IP attraction like Space Fantasy. No IP, incredible capacity and a great experience.
I think it's actually the IP that brings the crowds to USJ. All those anime/video game based events and soon a full land based on Nintendo.

That park is going to be even more of a monster attendance wise.

Quinnmac000

Good thing you didn't go in July, their parade gets everyone drenched (followed by a nighttime foam party with water guns), their small stage shows had people getting drenched, their best selling merchadise is Universal branded water shooters, and their big replacement for water world gets half the audience wet.

Wait that actually sounds perfect for Florida in the hottest month of the year.

Space Fantasy is pretty neat, the VR overlays it gets are just as good as the regular ride and I love how interactive the ride itself is as you go up the lift hill you are trying to collect as much stardust to keep the sun from dying. (while you are riding cameras are watching your body movements and use that to tell you are collecting stardust etc) but I actually enjoy all the small stuff a lot more.

Quinnmac000

I think it's actually the IP that brings the crowds to USJ. All those anime/video game based events and soon a full land based on Nintendo.

That park is going to be even more of a monster attendance wise.

I know so many scream anime/video games are niche but there is a saying from field of dreams, build it and they will come. Even if its just limited time seasonal overlays I will take it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom