A Spirited Valentine ...

clemmo

Plans changed. It seems the Dragon Challenge replacement took precedent.

I'm not complaining :)
Makes sense. Any word on timing of that? I've been reading a bit over on the ou forums and haven't found a timeline for when dragon challenge will close. Finally made it over to uni for the first time and dragon challenge seemed out of place there so imo a replacement is needed and would be welcome. Hoping for a nice dark ride

the.dreamfinder

So basically the author is ranting about Ghost in the Shell and using Disney live action movies, which they say are quite good, as an example? LOL. They really just wanted to rant about Ghost in the Shell.

I don't mind the live action remakes, but there comes a point that you have to wonder if they're pushing it, especially with Dumbo. But I personally don't have any issues with Aladdin, Little Mermaid or even Lion King (though LK gave me a bit of a pause, but I'm now interested in seeing it pulled off). It's obviously a way to capitalize on nostalgia and make some money but it's not like they're all bad films.

Were they "needed"? Probably not. But there's clearly an audience for it. If it keeps the original animated classics in the spotlight for future generations I'm not against it. I'm surprised Pinocchio isn't on the docket yet (maybe it is). Although hasn't it been done?
The article's main point is that by making live-action remakes of classic animated films, it devalues the original, and the medium as a whole, because live action filmmaking is seen as more "real" or legitimate than animation. It's not about these films being good or bad, but what the action means.

Kman101

The article's main point is that by making live-action remakes of classic animated films, it devalues the original, and the medium as a whole, because live action filmmaking is seen as more "real" or legitimate than animation. It's not about these films being good or bad, but what the action means.

I know what the article was trying to get at but it came across as the author upset about Ghost in the Shell being remade and they were using Disney live action movies as examples. It was just an excuse for the author to rant and rave because they were personally upset. Not saying points weren't valid, but that's really what it was about. I don't think it devalues the original animated movie (not talking about Ghost; I've never seen it, but I'm saying the live action remakes don't devalue the Disney animated movies). In fact I feel the opposite.

FigmentJedi

Exactly. Despite how popular animation is, Hollywood has no respect for it. Just look at the Oscars.

Hula Popper

Don't agree with the point. Good stories originally expressed in one medium - whether a novel, a live-action film, an animation, a musical, an opera, a drama play, a television show, a comic-book, a graphic arts novel, a song, a theme park attraction - are often re-expressed or re-told again and again by others in different mediums. Rather than devaluing the previous mediums, it can introduce new audiences to the how the story was previously expressed in a different medium and create new found appreciation for it.

Plus, if the author's point were correct, wouldn't we be seeing fewer animated movies and less talent providing the voice-work? It seems to me that we are seeing more stories being told in animation than in recent years than in the past, and it's not limited to Disney and Pixar. In addition to Inside Out, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana, etc., there has been Sing, Secret Life of Pets, Boxtrolls, Despicable Me and Minions, Home, the LEGO Movie, the Hotel Transylvania movies, etc.

There's a fair amount to criticize regarding the live-action remakes - whether Disney is going too far and doing too many; whether a particular remake is too much like the original or bastardizes the original, whether the particular remake is an appropriate fit for live-action (Dumbo??); the quality of the execution and performance; etc. But I disagree with a wholesale condemnation of the practice as inappropriate and wrong because it purportedly devalues the animation medium.

lazyboy97o

Don't agree with the point. Good stories originally expressed in one medium - whether a novel, a live-action film, an animation, a musical, an opera, a drama play, a television show, a comic-book, a graphic arts novel, a song, a theme park attraction - are often re-expressed or re-told again and again by others in different mediums. Rather than devaluing the previous mediums, it can introduce new audiences to the how the story was previously expressed in a different medium and create new found appreciation for it.

Plus, if the author's point were correct, wouldn't we be seeing fewer animated movies and less talent providing the voice-work? It seems to me that we are seeing more stories being told in animation than in recent years than in the past, and it's not limited to Disney and Pixar. In addition to Inside Out, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana, etc., there has been Sing, Secret Life of Pets, Boxtrolls, Despicable Me and Minions, Home, the LEGO Movie, the Hotel Transylvania movies, etc.

There's a fair amount to criticize regarding the live-action remakes - whether Disney is going too far and doing too many; whether a particular remake is too much like the original or bastardizes the original, whether the particular remake is an appropriate fit for live-action (Dumbo??); the quality of the execution and performance; etc. But I disagree with a wholesale condemnation of the practice as inappropriate and wrong because it purportedly devalues the animation medium.
Animation's lack of legitimacy is shown through many other ways. Though in this regard films that are almost entirely animated being called live action is a big signifier. There is respectability in a live action remake that there is not in an animated remake.

Hula Popper

Exactly. Despite how popular animation is, Hollywood has no respect for it. Just look at the Oscars.

Well, you've got no shortage of high profile actors lending their voices to movies. Recent examples include Scarlet Johannson and Matthew McConaughey in Sing and Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, and Edward Norton on The Guardian Brothers. You've also got high profile musical talent working in animation, such as Justin Timberlake in Trolls and Lin Manuel Miranda in Moana.

RSoxNo1

2019 Soarin', 2020 B&TB and the Fantasyland theatre. The big hero whip I'm not totally sure if that's 2019 or 2020.

Frozen is apparently still on the docket for 2021 behind Arabian coast and Indy utilizing the parking lot. I expect we'll hear more about it in the next year.
I through Frozen was going in the back left corner of the park between the Lost River Delta and Port Discovery.

lazyboy97o

Well, you've got no shortage of high profile actors lending their voices to movies. Recent examples include Scarlet Johannson and Matthew McConaughey in Sing and Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, and Edward Norton on The Guardian Brothers. You've also got high profile musical talent working in animation, such as Justin Timberlake in Trolls and Lin Manuel Miranda in Moana.
That is not very new. The history of such casting is deeply tied to other motives like "doing it for my kids" or a quid pro quo for another project. It's not their serious work. Celebrity casting is supposed to help elevate animation into something a bit more respectable.

BrianLo

I through Frozen was going in the back left corner of the park between the Lost River Delta and Port Discovery.

What @rushtest4echo mentioned. The circa October 2014 plans with it going into that expansion pad were scrapped in favor of a plot with a bit more acreage. Reminiscent of the constantly moving target for Star Wars.

That said they've been very quiet about it. I'm still disappointed that all of those announcements should have been starting to open now... at least they are finally kicking off construction. Frozen will technically lap Pandora by at least a year for long gestating announced projects.

The fiscal year has just ended, financial results will be out the end of April and traditionally it's one of the time we hear about updates, so hopefully we hear then.

Kman101

What @rushtest4echo mentioned. The circa October 2014 plans with it going into that expansion pad were scrapped in favor of a plot with a bit more acreage. Reminiscent of the constantly moving target for Star Wars.

That said they've been very quiet about it. I'm still disappointed that all of those announcements should have been starting to open now... at least they are finally kicking off construction. Frozen will technically lap Pandora by at least a year for long gestating announced projects.

The fiscal year has just ended, financial results will be out the end of April and traditionally it's one of the time we hear about updates, so hopefully we hear then.

I haven't followed the Tokyo project much lately and I know it was never cancelled but Frozen's still a go? Or should I say "Scandinavia" ? Can't wait to see them put Ever After to shame (and I don't hate the ride; I hate it's placement but the ride isn't awful despite what some want to claim ... there are a few bare areas that could use some work and I actually thought some of the lighting was terrible).

RSoxNo1

Thanks, probably for the best. That would be a tough transition.

brb1006

This might not be important, but I remember a while ago one of the members to this form mentioned an official Youtube channel by Disney exists that had a video series that is hosted by the various Audio Animatronics talking to each other. It might either be for Disneyland or WDW but I forgot what videos were called.

Kman101

I'll go to the Paris section but I'm starting to check out prices for hotels and flights and it really doesn't seem too unreasonable (I'm also pricing out California/Disneyland -- it's been 9 years for me! I need to experience the new DCA) -- they're both a bit comparable at the moment.

I'm looking for September, but I'm open to going a bit later (couldn't really swing any earlier at the moment and this is very very very maybe). If I went to California I might want to go during either October or December to experience their Halloween or Christmas season, just because I've been on a 'regular day'.

Anyway, can someone tell me what would be a good price for a flight to Paris? (You can PM me, it doesn't have to be on here I know I'm thread derailing). I mean, it kind of is what it is I guess but I'd like a little feedback ... please and thank you :D. Obviously I'm flying from Florida.

the.dreamfinder

Are they pushing out into the parking lot?

BrianLo

Are they pushing out into the parking lot?

Basically using a similar swath from the parking lot that the Fantasyland expansion does. It makes sense as that's probably the furthest walk to Bayside station.

I figure at some point parking garages will go in. Land there is at too much of a premium to keep the entire resort surface parking, especially if they are sticking to expanding out their two gates instead of moving onto a third.

The other question is why do they need more acreage. Secondary attraction? (Luigi's Rollicking Frozen sleds...) Or more shops? I'm sure someone brighter than me knows.

FigmentJedi

That is not very new. The history of such casting is deeply tied to other motives like "doing it for my kids" or a quid pro quo for another project. It's not their serious work. Celebrity casting is supposed to help elevate animation into something a bit more respectable.

"Voice acting is easy!: All I do is talk in a recording booth"

This might not be important, but I remember a while ago one of the members to this form mentioned an official Youtube channel by Disney exists that had a video series that is hosted by the various Audio Animatronics talking to each other. It might either be for Disneyland or WDW but I forgot what videos were called.
WDW Goat Friends. Uses that Big Thunder Mountain Goat puppet from that ad campaign a few years back.

DDLand

Basically using a similar swath from the parking lot that the Fantasyland expansion does. It makes sense as that's probably the furthest walk to Bayside station.

I figure at some point parking garages will go in. Land there is at too much of a premium to keep the entire resort surface parking, especially if they are sticking to expanding out their two gates instead of moving onto a third.

The other question is why do they need more acreage. Secondary attraction? (Luigi's Rollicking Frozen sleds...) Or more shops? I'm sure someone brighter than me knows.
In one of their releases, head of hotel operations at OLC mentioned future hotel development as an opportunity. She shared that real estate was extremely limited, and that they wanted to approach the buildout carefully. They're apparently still deciding whether to go for numbers and entry level pricing, or high end and deluxe.

Obviously nothing overly specific, but there isn't much land left. Any hotels would necessitate removing spots. They could build a Disney hotel near Bayside Station for access to the parks. Offset location with free monorail.

The fact that Tokyo Disneyland still has flat parking is really an oddity. I guess it speaks volumes to the high costs building a garage entails. The new guest areas and hotel rooms have to justify not only their cost, but the cost of a earthquake reinforced parking garage running into the hundreds of millions.

Western Gateway was brought about by Star Wars, and Tokyo has the drive to add character themed rooms.

Tokyo Disney Sea shows the right way to do garages from a location standpoint. Hopefully Tokyo Disneyland follows suit. The Resort (as in roads) are actually fairly unattractive with seas of concrete. Resort hotels would be a vast improvement. Though that side with the (real) sea is mesmerizing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom