A Spirited Perfect Ten

FrankLapidus

He's just making up dates that look bad.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest but I'm willing to give him the benefit the doubt if he does have a link to something that backs up his claim. I'm presuming that by quoting "official estimates" he's referring to something that's come directly from TWDC...

FigmentJedi

It'll be announced in 12 parsecs

Edit: I know parsecs are a unit of distance, but hey, it's Star Wars
Parsecs is distance in Star Wars too. The Kessel Run is a route that usually involves having to navigate around hazards like black hole clusters. The Falcon's fast enough and has a navigational computer so good that it can actually calculate a shorter path through those dangers and actually pull it off.

ParentsOf4

Unsurprising. Out of interest, do you have a link to the "official estimates" that Star Wars Land will open at DHS in 2022-23? I've tried to keep up with latest news at DHS as best as I can but I can't recall reading that anywhere.
Based on Disney's announced capex plan for 2016 from the company's 10K:

The Company currently expects its fiscal 2016 capital expenditures will be approximately $0.8 billion higher than fiscal 2015 capital expenditures of $4.3 billion due to increased investment at our domestic parks and resorts.​

And from the company's 4Q2015 earnings call:

We have demonstrated our ability to deploy capital profitably across the company, including at Parks and Resorts. We’ve announced a number of new Parks and Resorts projects that will be underway during fiscal 2016. As a result, these projects will collectively drive an increase in total company capex of about $800 million in fiscal 2016 compared to fiscal 2015.​

A Star Wars Land opening date of 2018 in CA and 2019 in FL seems more likely than dates in the next decade.

Of course, budgets and schedules for enormous projects often change so it would be wise avoid undue speculation. :cautious:

Last month's estimated completion date may not be the same as next month's estimated completion date. :cool:

Last edited:

Cesar R M

One thing that baffles me is the audience scoring of the film.

On Rottentomatoes, it sits at a strong 90% approval among movie-goers. But on MetaCritic, the user rating is an underwhelming 6.9, which brings TFA to the 3rd least-liked film in the series among audiences, just above Attack of the Clones, and (understandably) The Phantom Menace.
no surprise.. rottentomatoes is more general populace, while metacritic is used mostly by fans and nerds.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Unsurprising. Out of interest, do you have a link to the "official estimates" that Star Wars Land will open at DHS in 2022-23? I've tried to keep up with latest news at DHS as best as I can but I can't recall reading that anywhere.

As I said the 2022-2023 dates came from one of the Spirited threads, But I'm too lazy to search a few thousand pages for the source in question, Now @ParentsOf4 has 2018 (DL) and 2019 (WDW) but I'm having difficulty in believing those as Disney NFL took 4 years to clone a west coast attraction and build a kiddie coaster and build some rockwork.

Compare that to EPCOT's ground breaking 1 October 1979 to opening on 1 October 1982. Yeah color me unimpressed with the speed TWDC builds stuff these days. They can close and demo attractions in hours yet new attractions take years.

PhotoDave219

Yo @PhotoDave219 ,any UNI rides that are a MUST apart from the harry potter ones?
Tomorrow going to both uni parks (with park to park) for 3 days.

Dueling dragons. Spider-Man. The Mummy.

Shame the hulk is down, it's the best coaster I've ridden.

Edit: actually do both sides of doing dragons… Shame they changed it so you probably won't go head on if the other coaster train but that was epic when they did it…

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The Company currently expects its fiscal 2016 capital expenditures will be approximately $0.8 billion higher than fiscal 2015 capital expenditures of $4.3 billion due to increased investment at our domestic parks and resorts.​

We have demonstrated our ability to deploy capital profitably across the company, including at Parks and Resorts. We’ve announced a number of new Parks and Resorts projects that will be underway during fiscal 2016. As a result, these projects will collectively drive an increase in total company capex of about $800 million in fiscal 2016 compared to fiscal 2015.​

A Star Wars Land opening date of 2018 in CA and 2019 in FL seems more likely than dates in the next decade.

Of course, budgets and schedules for enormous projects often change so it would be wise avoid undue speculation. :cautious:

Last month's estimated completion date may not be the same as next month's estimated completion date. :cool:

Question - based on PAST performance which is the only guide we really have, Do you believe that Disney can or will really build a complete SWL land in 2-3 years.

DDLand

Of course, budgets and schedules for enormous projects often change so it would be wise avoid undo speculation. :cautious:

That's interesting, and thanks for bringing that to the forefront. I do find this surprising though. I was expecting a winding down of international investment, while increasing spending at domestic. Sort of a passing of the torch and a pivot towards home. Much like Disney essentially ended flashy projects in DCA to turn attention towards Shanghai.

Instead it seems like they're keeping foreign CAPEX high (last year around 84% of international revenue) while just adding on additional domestic spending. They noticeably didn't mention that the additional 800 Million would be offset by a decrease in Shanghai spending.

What's keeping them so high? The Shanghai theme park should've been in its closing moments. Most of the big investments should be behind them. Hong Kong is just moving their hotel and Iron Man Experiences along. Nothing to justify that massive number.

I'm beginning to think Shanghai could be opening attractions and finishing things all the way into 4th Quarter Fiscal Year 2016. Multiple notable posters have said that Shanghai will open as a work in progress. Bloated international spending would bear that out.

This is noticeably different behavior from years previous though. That much can be said.

JoeCamel

Yo @PhotoDave219 ,any UNI rides that are a MUST apart from the harry potter ones?
Tomorrow going to both uni parks (with park to park) for 3 days.

Men In Black, Pro Tip shoot at the ceiling periodically it really helps your score. Transformers, Simpsons, Minion Mania, Do the shows especially Beetllejuice and Tales of Beedle The Bard.

The juice guy is gone, do the spidey/transformers coasters HP and Horror magic show.

DDLand

Question - based on PAST performance which is the only guide we really have, Do you believe that Disney can or will really build a complete SWL land in 2-3 years.
Yes. Look at Cars Land which was built in about 3 years time. Grizzly Gulch was announced and was started as part of an expansion in 2009 and opened mid 2012. Avatar too should be around 3+ years from start to finish.

If Disney really wants to build this quickly (something tells me they do) I think they sure can build this in just under three years if we're lucky. If it's 2019 I'll still take it. It does appear they're aiming for before the end of the decade though.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
He's just making up dates that look bad.

With Disney it's unecessary to make things up to make them look bad, They do that quite nicely on their own and contrary to popular belief I don't go looking for stuff. Course with Today's Disney one does not have to it's as now it's ok to have garbage blowing in the wind and overflowing trash containers. No what's wrong simply screams what used to be called BAD SHOW.

I merely want Disney to live up to the standards they set for THEMSELVES in years past.

One of these days I should really make a trip devoted to broken stuff, trash etc and live blog it with geotags on the photos so you too can locate it for your own inspection, But when I visit I'm more interested in having fun with friends and family than documenting broken crap however that does not mean I don't see the broken crap or notice the poor service and comment about it later .

WDW is a fine candidate for bringing back the 'Ashcan School' of photography (look it up).

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes. Look at Cars Land which was built in about 3 years time. Grizzly Gulch was announced and was started as part of an expansion in 2009 and opened mid 2012. Avatar too should be around 3+ years from start to finish.

If Disney really wants to build this quickly (something tells me they do) I think they sure can build this in just under three years if we're lucky. If it's 2019 I'll still take it. It does appear they're aiming for before the end of the decade though.

Cars Land is the exception, Lasseter used every bit of his political influence to make Cars Land happen quickly. He also burned a lot of bridges at TWDC doing so. There is no one in the Lucasfilm organization with that kind of juice with the BoD.

lazyboy97o

With Disney it's unecessary to make things up to make them look bad, They do that quite nicely on their own and contrary to popular belief I don't go looking for stuff. Course with Today's Disney one does not have to it's as now it's ok to have garbage blowing in the wind and overflowing trash containers. No what's wrong simply screams what used to be called BAD SHOW.

I merely want Disney to live up to the standards they set for THEMSELVES in years past.

One of these days I should really make a trip devoted to broken stuff, trash etc and live blog it with geotags on the photos so you too can locate it for your own inspection, But when I visit I'm more interested in having fun with friends and family than documenting broken crap however that does not mean I don't see the broken crap or notice the poor service and comment about it later .

WDW is a fine candidate for bringing back the 'Ashcan School' of photography (look it up).
Bad show and Disney standards have nothing to do with your propensity for fibbing. All you do is undermine the actual points.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Disney is talking about sinking $800M in construction costs in FL and CA in one year. That's more than Universal spent on both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley over 5 years.

That's money that could have been spent on stock buybacks. ;)

Once you sink that kind of money into a project, you don't want it sitting around collecting dust. You want that investment increasing cash flow as quickly as possible. You want to show shareholders that it was money well spent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom