A Spirited Perfect Ten

the.dreamfinder

From Disney Legend Floyd Norman
http://floydnormancom.squarespace.com/blog/2016/1/5/only-the-buildings-remain
Only the Buildings Remain.
image.jpeg

It's a quiet January afternoon and I'm headed down the shady streets of the Walt Disney Studio lot for a late appointment. I can't help thinking how things have changed over the last few decades as the sleepy little Disney studio transformed itself into a media mega-giant. As I glance at the buildings on this restful afternoon the studio seems not all that different from the grand old days when the Old Maestro, Walt Disney ruled his magical Burbank kingdom. Suddenly, I check myself and realize I’m indulging in a fantasy. While it’s true I’m walking down a pleasant, shady studio street, where exactly am I anyway?

On the surface nothing appears to have changed. In fact, everything looks pretty much the same. One could almost use the Hollywood term, movie flats or false fronts. As though some film company appeared secretly in the night and erected several film sets. The Animation Building, though maintaining its impressive name plate, cannot boast of one animator inside the structure and to be sure, no animation is being created. There are no layout artists in the second floor wings or background painters creating their special magic with paint and brush. If there are any story boards left in the building no story artists are in evidence. A glance out the second floor window of 2C would reveal there are no ink and paint women in the Ink & Paint Building. Don't look for the legendary Multi-plane, because there are no cameras in the Camera Building and no film editors cutting film in Editorial. As a matter of fact, in this digital age there's not even film. The Disney commissary still serves food. This leaves it one of the few facilities where the name on the building actually relates to the activity inside.

Here’s a question. Is Walt Disney’s once famous studio simply a fabrication? A glorified movie set constructed to remind those of an era long past? What about the people inside the buildings? Who are these people and what do they do? This KEM Webber designed facility once housed the most incredible talent in the world. Brilliant concepts were born and nurtured in these hallowed halls. Now I see rooms and rooms of “managers,” doing whatever managers do. Not that many years ago, original Disney artwork adorned the hallways. Today, that original art has been tucked away in a facility that could easily rival the Pentagon in security. Though reproductions abound you’d be hard pressed to find an original of anything. Sadly, in many ways the entire studio itself is a reproduction. The studio once known and praised for its originality hasn’t had a fresh idea in decades. Should originality be needed the studio has a quick and easy solution. Top level executives flush with cash simply go on a franchise shopping spree. After all, why spend time and energy creating when you can simply purchase?

As I continue my afternoon walk I realize the Walt Disney Studio is not all that different from the studio I visited many years ago. Of course, back in those days the skies were clearer and the massive ABC building didn’t obstruct a view of the Hollywood hills. Today, there are new buildings on site and the old Spanish plaza and mission set has morphed into the Zorro parking structure. Naturally, the wreaking ball will continue to transform the studio as the old makes way for the new. As in times past, employees still relax on park benches under shady trees for an afternoon break. In some ways it could still be 1955. However, reality sinks in and I realize it’s 2016. The wonderful magic factory Walt Disney created is simply a memory. It’s as though the magical enterprise we all knew and loved has almost completely disappeared… and only the buildings remain.

R W B

Do you remember who announced SW Land? Who not only took the stage, but took the stage in front of all the classic Hollywood media because this was a project so big that the theme park fans weren't good enough?View attachment 125382

This guy.

The same guy who said the highest priority for the Walt Disney Company was Shanghai Disney Resort. The same guys who needs a division to shine as another one is experiencing road bumps or even major "disruption."

You can tell me at one time Disney was looking at exiting theme parks. That's not what they're doing now though. They're doubling down.

SW Land is likely going to be critical to his legacy, especially as a tool to offset ESPN's trouble.
What's ESPN's trouble?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Some analytics:
2,259,847 page views/year =
6191 per day
258 per hour
4.3 per minute

That aught to be worth some WDW swag.

Yet it's not however if you are on the so called Moms Panel like Fadra Nally a few hundred page views since going online is more than sufficient for free trips and other swag.

UpAllNight

Disney is talking about sinking $800M in construction costs in FL and CA in one year. That's more than Universal spent on both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley over 5 years.

That's money that could have been spent on stock buybacks. ;)

Once you sink that kind of money into a project, you don't want it sitting around collecting dust. You want that investment increasing cash flow as quickly as possible. You want to show shareholders that it was money well spent.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it was implied that $800million would be spent on the domestic parks, just an $800million rise in overall spending?

Infact I'd imagine Shanghai would see a reduction in spend, potentially meaning a spend greater than $800million in the domestic parks. Paris have some big plans for refreshing their attractions but as far as I'm aware no new rides. It suggests to me an investment of far greater than $800million domestically, but I suppose we don't know the extent of the troubles in Shanghai.

NearTheEars

From Disney Legend Floyd Norman
Only the Buildings Remain.
View attachment 125397

It's a quiet January afternoon and I'm headed down the shady streets of the Walt Disney Studio lot for a late appointment. I can't help thinking how things have changed over the last few decades as the sleepy little Disney studio transformed itself into a media mega-giant. As I glance at the buildings on this restful afternoon the studio seems not all that different from the grand old days when the Old Maestro, Walt Disney ruled his magical Burbank kingdom. Suddenly, I check myself and realize I’m indulging in a fantasy. While it’s true I’m walking down a pleasant, shady studio street, where exactly am I anyway?

On the surface nothing appears to have changed. In fact, everything looks pretty much the same. One could almost use the Hollywood term, movie flats or false fronts. As though some film company appeared secretly in the night and erected several film sets. The Animation Building, though maintaining its impressive name plate, cannot boast of one animator inside the structure and to be sure, no animation is being created. There are no layout artists in the second floor wings or background painters creating their special magic with paint and brush. If there are any story boards left in the building no story artists are in evidence. A glance out the second floor window of 2C would reveal there are no ink and paint women in the Ink & Paint Building. Don't look for the legendary Multi-plane, because there are no cameras in the Camera Building and no film editors cutting film in Editorial. As a matter of fact, in this digital age there's not even film. The Disney commissary still serves food. This leaves it one of the few facilities where the name on the building actually relates to the activity inside.

Here’s a question. Is Walt Disney’s once famous studio simply a fabrication? A glorified movie set constructed to remind those of an era long past? What about the people inside the buildings? Who are these people and what do they do? This KEM Webber designed facility once housed the most incredible talent in the world. Brilliant concepts were born and nurtured in these hallowed halls. Now I see rooms and rooms of “managers,” doing whatever managers do. Not that many years ago, original Disney artwork adorned the hallways. Today, that original art has been tucked away in a facility that could easily rival the Pentagon in security. Though reproductions abound you’d be hard pressed to find an original of anything. Sadly, in many ways the entire studio itself is a reproduction. The studio once known and praised for its originality hasn’t had a fresh idea in decades. Should originality be needed the studio has a quick and easy solution. Top level executives flush with cash simply go on a franchise shopping spree. After all, why spend time and energy creating when you can simply purchase?

As I continue my afternoon walk I realize the Walt Disney Studio is not all that different from the studio I visited many years ago. Of course, back in those days the skies were clearer and the massive ABC building didn’t obstruct a view of the Hollywood hills. Today, there are new buildings on site and the old Spanish plaza and mission set has morphed into the Zorro parking structure. Naturally, the wreaking ball will continue to transform the studio as the old makes way for the new. As in times past, employees still relax on park benches under shady trees for an afternoon break. In some ways it could still be 1955. However, reality sinks in and I realize it’s 2016. The wonderful magic factory Walt Disney created is simply a memory. It’s as though the magical enterprise we all knew and loved has almost completely disappeared… and only the buildings remain.

I understand the disappointment over the removal of artwork and such, but the reality is that in this modern world of animation, you don't need an army of animators, ink and paint girls or a camera building. So they were converted into offices.

I wish TWDC philosophy was still stuck in the past, but I don't expect the studio to still look like it in 2016.

Cesar R M

The juice guy is gone, do the spidey/transformers coasters HP and Horror magic show.
thanks!
all saved in the app.

funny that both apps have their strenghts and weaknesses. I hate the filtering system of the my magic app, but its very easy to find what you want.
while the universal app as a lot of filtering, but the default views are annoying.

Cesar R M

Am I? You don't think that Disney PR wouldn't play it up how I described it above? That the markets would adore this move? That Robert Iger isn't the least bit tempted by legacy building?

Frankly I think SW Land is a safe bet that will almost be a guaranteed success. I think Disney thinks this too. That's why they're going full speed ahead. I have a strong feeling that SW Land is a pet project of Iger's. I could be wrong and he's just too focused on Shanghai and ESPN to care, but I have a feeling that's not the case.

His contract ends June 30 2018. Say it opens two or three months later. He and new CEO Staggs are on hand to do a symbolic changing of the guards. Everyone will talk about the genius of Iger. Oh and Staggs will be sure to remind them that it only gets better. Opening early next year SW Land 2 will launch in Orlando. They'll eat it up.

Is it fluff? Yeah. I'm not sure if simply observing fluff is the same thing as buying it though.
Wasnt AVATAR his legacy?
I feel strange that something is being pushed as legacy a few months ago (before the star wars expansion was announced) was building at glacial pace.

speaking of avatar.. I got a few photos of some of the construction areas.

DSC_291520160102.JPG

DSC_291620160102.JPG

DSC_294120160102.JPG

DSC_294220160102.JPG

Cesar R M

I understand the disappointment over the removal of artwork and such, but the reality is that in this modern world of animation, you don't need an army of animators, ink and paint girls or a camera building. So they were converted into offices.

I wish TWDC philosophy was still stuck in the past, but I don't expect the studio to still look like it in 2016.
technically, you still do, the only thing being replaced is, traditional artists with boards and paints.. with cintiq and other advanced digital drawing digital tools.

unless you mean 3d. where artists got replaced by modelers and 3d designers\animators

Goofyernmost

BS! Tell that to my mother ( 20 yr retired CM) as she broke in to tears upon seeing the state of what she calls "her resort" Pop Century. I respect your "opinion" but that doesn't mean your is correct either. Sorry, but she worked hard to maintain those standards that you call a product of marketing. She was/is extremely proud of her work at WDW. I am not letting you get away with spewing crap that I know is 100% crap! She will tell you about the change in culture among both management and among cm's. About the difference in how TWDC/TDO handles things like maintenance. You are just plain wrong.
I am not talking about Pop Century or any other hotel/resort. I don't go to them and never will. So I will take your and your mothers word for that. However, Pop is a relatively "new" resort in the timeline of WDW and it is where the less affluent go to stay onsite. As resorts age and the crowd becomes less caring and more entitled, that stuff happens. My references are about the parks. Those I have been going to for 33 years. I have seen bad in every decade and I have seen times when the crowd of slobs was absolutely overwhelming. Overall I don't see a major decline in the overall look of the parks. The parks are almost always neat and tidy as they should be, they are even more colorful and bright now then they were just two decades ago. So my friend, with condolences to your Mom and an understanding that staff has been cut back, I truly believe that those little closets that they gouge you for in POP have more then likely declined.

Everyone seems to forget the Disney doesn't go in there at night and spread garbage around for all to see. If you want to blame anyone blame the disgusting guests that don't care not the staff or the organization that is busting hump to keep it looking good. You may also blame some of the CM's now that walk right past stuff laying on the ground unlike years ago when they cared. Management isn't always the culprit in these things. If it wasn't as bad years ago, it was because, number 1, there were not as many guests there back then and, number 2, today's entitled bunch of idiots is on the loose far more then they were just 10 years ago.

lazyboy97o

It might be nice for there to be some actual animation or serious production still happening on the Studio. Of course it's a little late to complain as the animators were kicked out decades ago.

GiveMeTheMusic

It might be nice for there to be some actual animation or serious production still happening on the Studio. Of course it's a little late to complain as the animators were kicked out decades ago.

Well, WDAS is still on the lot. At present they're off site while the new animation building is refurbed, but once that's done they'll be back. There's also still movie and TV production on the lot - The Muppets shoots there, as well as other shows. So it's not a production free zone, but it's not nearly as production heavy as the WB or Universal lots.

rael ramone

I hear that all the time. Let's assume it's true. What you are asking is that they live up to the standards set by someone else.

It's IMPLIED that they are. They call it 'The Walt Disney Company'. It's flagship resort is called 'The Walt Disney World Resort'. There are Walt Disney quotes all over the place in construction spots.

When companies want to be known for something else, they change the name.

R W B

Fans are cutting the cable on ESPN. Not just ESPN but lost of cable cutting.
Yea, that's true. I think that's more of a cable issue then just espn issue though. I mean I'm one of those who have cut cable but I also subscribe to sling TV for $15/month just because they have all the espn channels and that's what I watch more then anything.

Magenta Panther

The studio once known and praised for its originality hasn’t had a fresh idea in decades. Should originality be needed the studio has a quick and easy solution. Top level executives flush with cash simply go on a franchise shopping spree. After all, why spend time and energy creating when you can simply purchase? - Floyd Norman

Thank you, Floyd. There are, of course, some people who will never get what he said. Or what I've been saying. To them, artistry and acquisition are one and the same, and even if they DO have the wit to discern the difference, they don't care, as long as they get to watch a geriatric Han Solo pilot the Milennium Falcon again and, even better, ride on a screen-heavy simulation. And they don't care if part of Disneyland is demolished as long as someone wearing a Darth Vader outfit gets to prowl there thrilling all the nerds. (Speaking of which - a get-it-while-it's-hot IP being shoehorned into an area where it really doesn't belong - sound familiar? ;) ).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom