A Spirited Perfect Ten

DHoy

I hope so, while the ride was good.. the screens were very dirty... and you could see the panels of the screens.

also,some of the tunnels to the "hangars" were open, leaving everything visible on the ceiling (pipes, cables..etc..)
not to mention that during december 31, they opened many pathways, including one near backstrage to soaring for Fastpass.

I hope everyone know that Soarin doesn't have screens they have perforated metal that is painted white.

PhotoDave219

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...tractions-to-make-way-for-new-star-wars-area/

Funniest line of this article: "A completion date has yet to be announced for the “Star Wars” land, but industry experts predict that an opening date could be at least a year away."

Spirit, should I book my trip to Disneyland for the opening now, or should I wait to see if construction takes thirteen months?

Clearly they misunderstand. The announcement of an opening date could be a year away....

Flippin'Flounder

SpaceMountain77

At least a year away since TFA did not make 3 billion in it's first week Disney needs to ensure the franchise still has legs...

I've thought this with each Box Office Mojo update. TFA stands at $1.5 billion after 17 days, which most would see as monumental. However, I cannot help but feel that Disney executives are wildly disappointed that it has yet to eclipse Avatar.

ParentsOf4

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...tractions-to-make-way-for-new-star-wars-area/

Funniest line of this article: "A completion date has yet to be announced for the “Star Wars” land, but industry experts predict that an opening date could be at least a year away."

Spirit, should I book my trip to Disneyland for the opening now, or should I wait to see if construction takes thirteen months?
Clearly they misunderstand. The announcement of an opening date could be a year away....
One of the more interesting pieces of information that seems to have gone under the radar is Disney's announcement that capital expenditure will be up another $800M in FY2016, primarily due to an increase in domestic Parks & Resorts spending. This is in addition to the $2.147B international and $1.457B domestic they spent in FY2015. Combined, Disney is warning shareholders that they will be spending at a level last seen when DAK and DCA were being built! :jawdrop:

Recalling that FY2015 already included capital outlays for Disney Springs and Pandora, and that domestic P&R depreciation was at $1.169B last year, that extra $800M has to show up somewhere, and unless they are building a cruise ship that no one knows about, that means WDW and DLR. :)

As I always do, I'll keep a watch on the numbers and let you know what I think is happening. :D

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Ah, the peanut gallery, forever desperately afraid they may learn something new.

Wait...something....new? No, @lazyboy97o is merely repeating what Spirit has been arguing in his threads for two years now, just with fancier words and less agenda. Here is how you merely break even on a $1B movie, or to be specific, make only $125 on $1.2B Iron Man 3:

One of the most pertinent questions about the current Holloywood business model, both in this thread and elsewhere, is whether the tent pole strategy is sustainable. Astonishingly, Disney manages to lose money on half its Marvel movies. Although exact numbers are unknown, obscured as they are by Hollywood accounting and the nature of tent poles. A tent pole is not a synonym for blockbuster, but the term for a movie as a high profile central element that holds up the rest of the ancillary incomes. Tent pole strategy:

So, for summer 2013, only four out of 18 blockbusters were profitable, and the studios collectively lost $750 million on them, a -17% return on their investment. Even Marvel, who we generally assume has been printing money, has only returned profits on four of their eight films, losing an average of $50 million per film leading up to The Avengers. Studios are spending more and more per ticket, while revenue on those tickets hasn’t kept pace.

Which, obviously, raises the question of why studios keep doing it? If they’re losing money making all these blockbusters, why is the trend moving toward more and more of them?
http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/tentpole-strategy-explained-blockbusters-losing-money/

Dont they recoup the tentpole cost by selling merchandize,park experiences, games and other stuff?

Cesar R M

One of the more interesting pieces of information that seems to have gone under the radar is Disney's announcement that capital expenditure will be up another $800M in FY2016, primarily due to an increase in domestic Parks & Resorts spending. This is in addition to the $2.147B international and $1.457B domestic they spent in FY2015. Combined, Disney is warning shareholders that they will be spending at a level last seen when DAK and DCA were being built! :jawdrop:

Recalling that FY2015 already included capital outlays for Disney Springs and Pandora, and that domestic P&R depreciation was at $1.169B last year, that extra $800M has to show up somewhere, and unless they are building a cruise ship that no one knows about, that means WDW and DLR. :)

As I always do, I'll keep a watch on the numbers and let you know what I think is happening. :D

Didnt spirited said that a new 2 medium sized ships will be built for DCL?
Also, the Wonder needs docktime if I remember correctly.

Btw.. park opinions after expendingt the 31th on epcot, 1st on hollywood studios, 2nd on AK and 3 and 4 on MK.

All parks were very clean, I was surprised how clean Hollyewood studios and AK were.
MK was clean mostly and had an army cms cleaning the bathrooms continously
Only was disappointed at the Poniochio-Carousel area bathroom,it was completely trashed with dirty paper everywhere.

maintenance was great as well, almost all rides had all effects working or animatronics fully moving.
including splash which is gorgeous.
Pirates effects were working, including mist effect with Davy Jones.
Boats were not wet. at least the ones I seen while waiting for my fastpass.

MK yesterday wasbusy.. I mean you know its busy when stitch reaches 60+ wait times and both Mine train and peter pan reaching 120+ most of the day.

the new details on the castle, including turrets.. are gorgeous.

DSC_313420160104.JPG
DSC_313520160104.JPG

DSC_333520160104.JPG

crowd controls failed pretty hard on various areas and choke points in epcot (no surprise).
Chocke points were at Soarin area up to Near Canada.
Mexico, and USA-Italy. Where a few times the moving crowds were stationary and the very few cms were struggling to make people move.

Mk had a few issues during 1st magical parade shows (rude guests pushing others and not going thru the walking areas.. insisting in cutting and shoving the crowds waiting and sitting for the parade
Most crowd blocks were on Liberty Square area and Tomorrow land racing area.

longest lines of course were the ones on the mine train. travleing almost a half circle around the attraction.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
What about ALL the commercials over the holidays that used Star Wars? Ive seen everything from a Jeep commercial, Campbells Soup, Sprint, Wal MArt and Subway. How exactly does that work? Do they pay Disney for the use of the IP?

If so, I would think Dis recouped a good bit of coin because there were a lot of companies using Star Wars characters in their ads.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom