A Spirited Perfect Ten

truecoat

Will JJ act as a executive director on episode 8 and work with Rian? Is Lawerence writing episode 8 with Johnson? I like how they have different directors for each movie. To try and do everything for all three movies would be too much for one person and it's interesting to see the different styles in each movie.

I believe Rian is writing 8 and 9.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What is encouraging about SW7

Practical Effects
Participation of original cast
Lawrence Kasdan

What scares me:

JJ.

The prequels, as disappointing they are, are absolutely Citizen Kaneian compared to the Star Trek reboot.

His Star Trek 'efforts' are to film what Stitchs Great Escape is to theme park attractions. Absolutely anger inducing. Unwatchable.

He. Just. Didn't. Get. It.

Look at the original film series.

Harve Bennett wasn't a Trek guy. He saw the shows, and then he got it.
Nicholas Meyer wasn't a Trek guy (was more of a literary guy). He got it.

In the original films, the characters quoted fine literature. 'One has not experienced Shakespeare until they've listened to it in the original Klingon'. Christopher Plummer praised the script.
In JJ's trek, Uhura called Kirk a 'mouth breather'.

In the original films, McCoy was part of the 'trinity'. In JJ's, he was an afterthought.

Perhaps the fact that he's a 'Star Wars' guy and the other people involved might make a positive difference.
Couldn't disagree more... But this is not a trek thread

MerlinTheGoat

I consider myself at least somewhat of a "Trekkie" as I was already a big fan of the franchise LONG before the reboots (I first watched and highly enjoyed the original series and even Voyager in my preteen years and later got into the awesome Next Generation). So lots of prior experience and expectations with the TV shows before seeing the movie. I actually wasn't really looking forward to the reboot going in and only saw it after hearing good things about it. Still was wary, but I ended up quite enjoying it. I will admit it feels somewhat different from the TV show though. Not necessarily in a bad way IMO, but I can see why some hardcore purist fans had problems adjusting.

There was actually a lot that reminded me of Star Wars in it (particularly the action scenes). But I did feel that it had enough of Trek's spirit to satisfy me as well. Perhaps as a fan of BOTH Wars and Trek (a lot of fans seem to pick a side here and even bash the other side), I may have gotten more out of it than people who are only exclusively a fan of one or the other. I don't know. The only thing i'm really sad about is the absence of a new Trek TV series. I personally think the franchise functions inherently better as an episodic show, even though a number of the movies (including the ones before the reboot) are good.

But as a director I do think JJ may end up being a good fit for Episode 7. I think JJ brings out good performances in actors, good news there. I liked the actors in Star Trek 09. Though I do hope JJ keeps the lens flares to a minimum (which I haven't noticed so far) and can keep the camera at a reasonable distance/angle to the characters and not shake it so much. Also, the story for Ep7 is written by Lawrence Kasdan, we'll see but i've got hope.

JediMasterMatt

Will JJ act as a executive director on episode 8 and work with Rian? Is Lawerence writing episode 8 with Johnson? I like how they have different directors for each movie. To try and do everything for all three movies would be too much for one person and it's interesting to see the different styles in each movie.

JJ is going to be an active participant in the saga story group. Rian's been involved since before his director's seat was announced. The style for all the movies won't veer too far off course from the other saga films. JJ, Rian, and Colin ultimately signed up to make Star Wars films, so at the end of the day - they will all fit into the same fabric. So, don't expect things to be too different - like don't expect a saga film to be told in a non-linear/time jumping manner.

Rian wrote the script for VIII and will be doing the first draft on IX.

Bairstow

JJ is going to be an active participant in the saga story group. Rian's been involved since before his director's seat was announced. The style for all the movies won't veer too far off course from the other saga films. JJ, Rian, and Colin ultimately signed up to make Star Wars films, so at the end of the day - they will all fit into the same fabric. So, don't expect things to be too different - like don't expect a saga film to be told in a non-linear/time jumping manner.

Rian wrote the script for VIII and will be doing the first draft on IX.

More lens flares, though.

Phil12

The Disney Company

Founded in 1923, the Walt Disney Company is a hugely successful entertainment and media company with global operations. The parent company and its subsidiaries operate through five major divisions: Studio Entertainment, Parks and Resorts, Media Networks, Consumer Products and Interactive. The company operates several major cable television networks, including the Disney Channel, ABC Family and ESPN. The Parks and Resort division manages the major Disney theme parks, Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in California, as well as Disney theme parks internationally. The Studio Entertainment division produces Disney motion pictures, both live action and animated. The company has a market capitalization value of approximately $182 billion. Its five-year annualized return on equity (ROE) for investors for the period 2009 to 2014 is 16.6%.

Read more: The Top 5 Disney Shareholders (DIS) http://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/102715/top-5-disney-shareholders.asp#ixzz3ppVkJcdV
http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=arwjQmCEqr4l6Cadbi-bnq&u=Investopedia

Next Big Thing

Since @WDW1974 likes to pick on SHIELD, I feel it's necessary to complement Elizabeth Henstridge for a great performance and Jesse Bochco for directing not only to best episode of Agents of SHIELD so far, but one of the best hours of the MCU. It was almost like a mini version of "The Martian", so different from any other SHIELD episode, yet we actually got very compelling TV and filled in many gaps on existing plot points.

If you aren't watching, you're missing out. That's not just me saying that either. It's received much critical acclaim of late and a 93% overall series Rotten Tomatoes score isn't too shabby either.

It's too bad that when the show started, it sucked balls. It lost a lot of viewership because of those first few episodes.

Nubs70

The Disney Company

Founded in 1923, the Walt Disney Company is a hugely successful entertainment and media company with global operations. The parent company and its subsidiaries operate through five major divisions: Studio Entertainment, Parks and Resorts, Media Networks, Consumer Products and Interactive. The company operates several major cable television networks, including the Disney Channel, ABC Family and ESPN. The Parks and Resort division manages the major Disney theme parks, Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in California, as well as Disney theme parks internationally. The Studio Entertainment division produces Disney motion pictures, both live action and animated. The company has a market capitalization value of approximately $182 billion. Its five-year annualized return on equity (ROE) for investors for the period 2009 to 2014 is 16.6%.

Read more: The Top 5 Disney Shareholders (DIS) http://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/102715/top-5-disney-shareholders.asp#ixzz3ppVkJcdV
Yes, raising prices and cutting costs while buying back stock will increase ROE every time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom