A Spirited Perfect Ten

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The more Disney hypes this movie the less interested in seeing it I become because to me at least the level of hype means the movie can't stand on it's own merits.

I call it smart business...especially if it does live up to the hype (that the fans are creating as much as Disney).

bhg469

Glad to see that Star Wars spoilers have become the new China discussion. Always in motion is this thread.

There are some secrets about the film that haven't been unleashed yet. Conjecture, sure; but, Kathy and JJ did a very good job keeping a lot of the mystery unsolved. Much better than the prequels did where information flew around much more readily. A lot of the EP VII info came from the same source and that is something that Rian Johnson's team is already securing. Expect even less out of VIII.

I don't like sharing plot spoilers; but, I will tell you that everyone involved in the film is very, very happy about how it has all turned out. Prepare to have your world/galaxy rocked in December.
I'm sure they're happy and I'm also sure it wI'll be great but it is definitely not the same movie JJ set out to make.

Jones14

The Phantom Menace was a huge success, far better then 2 & 3, even though it's considered the weakest of the 3 (though I personally think they got worse, not better) - because it was NEW STAR WARS (and it had Darth Maul). It will be huge. Being in 3D (with 3D upcharge) means it will be REAL huge. After the dust settles, faults may rise to the surface and those faults may hurt 8 & 9 to a degree, like what happened with 2 & 3's B.O. take.

The question as far as the financial success of the film is where it will end up ranking all time (not accounting for inflation). People are saying it can't possibly be less then the #1 film all time (and that that level of expected success is priced into $DIS). The question is this a film that needs to be seen again, and again, and again, and again, in the 3D format. When all is said and done I don't know if it will pass Jurassic World numbers once it leaves theatres. If that happens the stock may take a hit (though since it's seen as an ancilliary business by the Street it won't be as bad as the ESPN Correction).

And just saying - the Phantom Menace trailer was great....

And again just saying - Clones was considered superior to Phantom, yet it did less business then Spiderman.
Attack of The Clones is considered to be better? It's possibly one of the worst films I can remember seeing. The action sequences are bland, Anakin and Padme are terribly written (and acted), and the plot is confusing and convoluted at best. Phantom Menace has its faults, but at least it's a watchable, often enjoyable movie (minus Jar Jar).

Cosmic Commando

I think Episode VII will be a strong contender for the domestic all-time record, but the worldwide record will be tough. To be #1 worldwide, you'll need people all around the globe to see the movie over and over... and over. Star Wars is that popular in the US, but I don't know if people obsess over it in China (just for example). If I did my math right, Jurassic World got 85% of Avatar's box office take domestically... sounds in reach. A movie a little more popular than Jurassic World and without summer blockbuster competition could definitely topple Avatar there. Worldwide, however, Jurassic World only got about 60% of Avatar's box office. BIG difference.

Cesar R M

What is encouraging about SW7

Practical Effects
Participation of original cast
Lawrence Kasdan

What scares me:

JJ.

The prequels, as disappointing they are, are absolutely Citizen Kaneian compared to the Star Trek reboot.

His Star Trek 'efforts' are to film what Stitchs Great Escape is to theme park attractions. Absolutely anger inducing. Unwatchable.

He. Just. Didn't. Get. It.

Look at the original film series.

Harve Bennett wasn't a Trek guy. He saw the shows, and then he got it.
Nicholas Meyer wasn't a Trek guy (was more of a literary guy). He got it.

In the original films, the characters quoted fine literature. 'One has not experienced Shakespeare until they've listened to it in the original Klingon'. Christopher Plummer praised the script.
In JJ's trek, Uhura called Kirk a 'mouth breather'.

In the original films, McCoy was part of the 'trinity'. In JJ's, he was an afterthought.

Perhaps the fact that he's a 'Star Wars' guy and the other people involved might make a positive difference.
To each their own, I really liked his star trek reboots.
Nowhere as bad as "Insurrection" or "Nemesis".
or The Attack of the Clones in the star wars camp.

Arthur Wellesley

In phantom menace, if you read the John Williams score there was a major spoiler.
I guess that's why Abrams won't allow the soundtrack to be released until opening day.
But the song title list has already been announced for the upcoming soundtrack. Personally, I'm a little disheartened that track #11 is titled: "The Gungans Return".

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Attack of The Clones is considered to be better? It's possibly one of the worst films I can remember seeing. The action sequences are bland, Anakin and Padme are terribly written (and acted), and the plot is confusing and convoluted at best. Phantom Menace has its faults, but at least it's a watchable, often enjoyable movie (minus Jar Jar).

Totally agree! Clones is just a mess... phantom is not as bad there are a lot of solid parts but when they messed up they messed up big... mainly jar jar

PLEASE tell me you are kidding on track #11, The Gungans need to be nuked from orbit its the only way

Speaking of Jar Jar if they start this new film by blowing up the Naboo system killing every Gungan. It instantly beats every prequel, posibly even jedi lol

Cody5242

Only George Lucas could make Natalie Portman a bad actress

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Totally agree! Clones is just a mess... phantom is not as bad there are a lot of solid parts but when they messed up they messed up big... mainly jar jar

Speaking of Jar Jar if they start this new film by blowing up the Naboo system killing every Gungan. It instantly beats every prequel, posibly even jedi lol

That would be the greatest Star Wars ever as JarJar accidentally fires the superweapon which vaporizes him and naboo putting an end to the gungans

HauntedMansionFLA

Let me ease your fears a bit. My same friends that were worried before The Phantom Menace... are the same ones smiling ear from ear right now.

JJ is an admitted Star Wars fan. He gets it. He was not a Star Trek fan. Paramount didn't want another Trek movie. They wanted to tap into the Star Wars market. They got a great Star Wars movie in return from him.

While I didn't get what I wanted out of the sequels, in that I wanted Brad Bird (which is what George and Kathy wanted initially) - I'm perfectly fine with JJ and would love to have him back for IX. That's not meant as a slight to Colin as I think he will do fine with Rian and Lawerence's script.

Lucasland LOVES what JJ has done. If my friends aren't worried... I'm not either.

"Go strap yourselves in. JJ is making the jump to light speed."
Will JJ act as a executive director on episode 8 and work with Rian? Is Lawerence writing episode 8 with Johnson? I like how they have different directors for each movie. To try and do everything for all three movies would be too much for one person and it's interesting to see the different styles in each movie.

bhg469

What movie did JJ set out to make?
One with more Luke and Leia but neither were screen ready for several reasons. Each of them would have had more screen time but that did not work out. I truly feel that the movie will be great, and it is probably better for the changes that had to be done.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom