A Spirited Perfect Ten

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Disney screwed up on frozen merchandizing at the beginning. They aren't gonna make that mistake for Star Wars.
This was more of a sure bet.

Middle Aged men with daughters will run up credit card bills on Frozen merch if they have daughters (or nieces etc.) below a certain age in the family, but the fad is waning (and you can only get her so much)...

Middle Aged men and women will spend money on Star Wars to get stuff for themselves... "$300 lego set, $50 "Furbacca" toy and a $150 remote control BB-8? NO PROBLEM! Oh, and here kid, you can have a $7 action figure and a micro machines set. Have fun with that."

englanddg

One Little Spark...
They usually get released the Tuesday before the movie does.
Interesting. Never knew that. I love soundtracks, just never paid attention to their release dates (nor have I bought an album in ages as they all get uploaded somewhere online (generally youtube) pretty quickly.

The last soundtrack I honestly remember purchasing was...Forrest Gump...

Cesar R M

This was more of a sure bet.

Middle Aged men with daughters will run up credit card bills on Frozen merch if they have daughters (or nieces etc.) below a certain age in the family, but the fad is waning (and you can only get her so much)...

Middle Aged men and women will spend money on Star Wars to get stuff for themselves... "$300 lego set, $50 "Furbacca" toy and a $150 remote control BB-8? NO PROBLEM! Oh, and here kid, you can have a $7 action figure and a micro machines set. Have fun with that."
until you get the original cast going all Billy Mays.

but_wait_theres_more.jpg

"dont forget to buy the deluxe mamba jamba ultra turbo edition of Han Solo's brand Toupee, give Trump a run for his money!"

englanddg

One Little Spark...
until you get the original cast going all Billy Mays.

View attachment 115925

"dont forget to buy the deluxe mamba jamba ultra turbo edition of Han Solo's brand Toupee, give Trump a run for his money!"
I dunno, I've held off buying any new merch (though I lustfully look at it every time I go to Target...I walk that Star Wars and Lego aisle, I admit)...

But, I've held off...so far...HOWEVER!

If I saw a Trump Han Solo action figure, I'd probably cave in and buy it.

CinematicFusion

Are soundtracks normally released well in advance of the movie? I haven't seen that to be the case before (though I never specifically paid attention to it either...)

They were released before opening night on the last films. This time it will be released on December 18th. The movie opens nation wide Dec. 17th at 7pm.

They even released dual of the fates as a single before menace came out.

JediMasterMatt

Glad to see that Star Wars spoilers have become the new China discussion. Always in motion is this thread.

There are some secrets about the film that haven't been unleashed yet. Conjecture, sure; but, Kathy and JJ did a very good job keeping a lot of the mystery unsolved. Much better than the prequels did where information flew around much more readily. A lot of the EP VII info came from the same source and that is something that Rian Johnson's team is already securing. Expect even less out of VIII.

I don't like sharing plot spoilers; but, I will tell you that everyone involved in the film is very, very happy about how it has all turned out. Prepare to have your world/galaxy rocked in December.

Phil12

Glad to see that Star Wars spoilers have become the new China discussion. Always in motion is this thread.

There are some secrets about the film that haven't been unleashed yet. Conjecture, sure; but, Kathy and JJ did a very good job keeping a lot of the mystery unsolved. Much better than the prequels did where information flew around much more readily. A lot of the EP VII info came from the same source and that is something that Rian Johnson's team is already securing. Expect even less out of VIII.

I don't like sharing plot spoilers; but, I will tell you that everyone involved in the film is very, very happy about how it has all turned out. Prepare to have your world/galaxy rocked in December.
So, we're finally going to learn the secret of the Flux Capacitor ehh.

rael ramone

What is encouraging about SW7

Practical Effects
Participation of original cast
Lawrence Kasdan

What scares me:

JJ.

The prequels, as disappointing they are, are absolutely Citizen Kaneian compared to the Star Trek reboot.

His Star Trek 'efforts' are to film what Stitchs Great Escape is to theme park attractions. Absolutely anger inducing. Unwatchable.

He. Just. Didn't. Get. It.

Look at the original film series.

Harve Bennett wasn't a Trek guy. He saw the shows, and then he got it.
Nicholas Meyer wasn't a Trek guy (was more of a literary guy). He got it.

In the original films, the characters quoted fine literature. 'One has not experienced Shakespeare until they've listened to it in the original Klingon'. Christopher Plummer praised the script.
In JJ's trek, Uhura called Kirk a 'mouth breather'.

In the original films, McCoy was part of the 'trinity'. In JJ's, he was an afterthought.

Perhaps the fact that he's a 'Star Wars' guy and the other people involved might make a positive difference.

JediMasterMatt

What is encouraging about SW7

Practical Effects
Participation of original cast
Lawrence Kasdan

What scares me:

JJ.

The prequels, as disappointing they are, are absolutely Citizen Kaneian compared to the Star Trek reboot.

His Star Trek 'efforts' are to film what Stitchs Great Escape is to theme park attractions. Absolutely anger inducing. Unwatchable.

He. Just. Didn't. Get. It.

Look at the original film series.

Harve Bennett wasn't a Trek guy. He saw the shows, and then he got it.
Nicholas Meyer wasn't a Trek guy (was more of a literary guy). He got it.

In the original films, the characters quoted fine literature. 'One has not experienced Shakespeare until they've listened to it in the original Klingon'. Christopher Plummer praised the script.
In JJ's trek, Uhura called Kirk a 'mouth breather'.

In the original films, McCoy was part of the 'trinity'. In JJ's, he was an afterthought.

Perhaps the fact that he's a 'Star Wars' guy and the other people involved might make a positive difference.

Let me ease your fears a bit. My same friends that were worried before The Phantom Menace... are the same ones smiling ear from ear right now.

JJ is an admitted Star Wars fan. He gets it. He was not a Star Trek fan. Paramount didn't want another Trek movie. They wanted to tap into the Star Wars market. They got a great Star Wars movie in return from him.

While I didn't get what I wanted out of the sequels, in that I wanted Brad Bird (which is what George and Kathy wanted initially) - I'm perfectly fine with JJ and would love to have him back for IX. That's not meant as a slight to Colin as I think he will do fine with Rian and Lawerence's script.

Lucasland LOVES what JJ has done. If my friends aren't worried... I'm not either.

"Go strap yourselves in. JJ is making the jump to light speed."

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I'll wait till it hits amazon prime or the remainder bin at Wal Mart

rael ramone

I'll wait till it hits amazon prime or the remainder bin at Wal Mart

The Phantom Menace was a huge success, far better then 2 & 3, even though it's considered the weakest of the 3 (though I personally think they got worse, not better) - because it was NEW STAR WARS (and it had Darth Maul). It will be huge. Being in 3D (with 3D upcharge) means it will be REAL huge. After the dust settles, faults may rise to the surface and those faults may hurt 8 & 9 to a degree, like what happened with 2 & 3's B.O. take.

The question as far as the financial success of the film is where it will end up ranking all time (not accounting for inflation). People are saying it can't possibly be less then the #1 film all time (and that that level of expected success is priced into $DIS). The question is this a film that needs to be seen again, and again, and again, and again, in the 3D format. When all is said and done I don't know if it will pass Jurassic World numbers once it leaves theatres. If that happens the stock may take a hit (though since it's seen as an ancilliary business by the Street it won't be as bad as the ESPN Correction).

And just saying - the Phantom Menace trailer was great....

And again just saying - Clones was considered superior to Phantom, yet it did less business then Spiderman.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The Phantom Menace was a huge success, far better then 2 & 3, even though it's considered the weakest of the 3 (though I personally think they got worse, not better) - because it was NEW STAR WARS (and it had Darth Maul). It will be huge. Being in 3D (with 3D upcharge) means it will be REAL huge. After the dust settles, faults may rise to the surface and those faults may hurt 8 & 9 to a degree, like what happened with 2 & 3's B.O. take.

The question as far as the financial success of the film is where it will end up ranking all time (not accounting for inflation). People are saying it can't possibly be less then the #1 film all time (and that that level of expected success is priced into $DIS). The question is this a film that needs to be seen again, and again, and again, and again, in the 3D format. When all is said and done I don't know if it will pass Jurassic World numbers once it leaves theatres. If that happens the stock may take a hit (though since it's seen as an ancilliary business by the Street it won't be as bad as the ESPN Correction).

And just saying - the Phantom Menace trailer was great....

And again just saying - Clones was considered superior to Phantom, yet it did less business then Spiderman.

The more Disney hypes this movie the less interested in seeing it I become because to me at least the level of hype means the movie can't stand on it's own merits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom