A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentJedi

It's such a perfect movie for Disney, really.
The backbone of the entire company's ethos is middle-class white girls wishing they were princesses and their parents entertaining this notion with nylon, plastic, and theme parks.
Rather than option the guy's story, I'm surprised Disney didn't buy a bunch of land so they could start granting postage stamp-sized fiefdoms.
But remember, re-releasing Song of the South on Blu-Ray/DVD with an unskippable intro to put things into context is a bad idea and would make the company look bad.

Bairstow

But remember, re-releasing Song of the South on Blu-Ray/DVD with an unskippable intro to put things into context is a bad idea and would make the company look bad.

It would.

All kidding about parceling out North Africa to DVC members aside, I'm surprised no one at Disney saw the firestorm from this North Sudan thing coming.
Let's see if they pull the plug.

twebber55

I did take pictures.. lol. I went to front desk and they were dismissive. Didn't take any look at it. They did apologize but seemed like they didn't want to deal with it.

I can only speak for myself. I am a theme park fan. Yes, our site has members who favor Universal, but that's not an excuse to be dismissive of any critical comment of any resort. People seem to forget that OU did put Universal on blast for the state of Hulk Coaster back in 2010. Any "good for Universal" means nothing to me. I don't get paid by them, and I'm not on any media lists. I do this because I love theme parks and love talking about it.
that's fine and like I said im sure there were problems
but a review from OU about Disney can be questioned, sorry that's what you guys are...your fox or msnbc for Universal
absolutely nothing wrong with that because you guys do a great job with all things Universal

ElBriMan

that's fine and like I said im sure there were problems
but a review from OU about Disney can be questioned, sorry that's what you guys are...your fox or msnbc for Universal
absolutely nothing wrong with that because you guys do a great job with all things Universal

LOL OK....

But the same can be said about anything bad about Universal on this site because it's pro-Disney.

This isn't about this park vs that park. This is just about a bad experience at one particular hotel.

twebber55

LOL OK....

But the same can be said about anything bad about Universal on this site because it's pro-Disney.

This isn't about this park vs that park. This is just about a bad experience at one particular hotel.
absolutely correct
it that may be but it would be like me taking Jimmy Thick's word on how bad of an experience he head at universal....
my earlier post was more about disneyhead said then what you said.....
sorry you guys are what you are a universal site, and a great one at that!

ElBriMan

absolutely correct
it that may be but it would be like me taking Jimmy Thick's word on how bad of an experience he head at universal....
my earlier post was more about disneyhead said then what you said.....
sorry you guys are what you are a universal site, and a great one at that!

Fair enough.

I imagine the front desk CMs at Poly are probably pretty burnt out of late.

Probably so. It's tough to keep a smile 24/7, especially after a long day. I know the pain working in the industry myself. Unfortunately that comes with the territory of doing customer service. Fake it til you Make it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
BAM!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/monikab...ney-spent-15-billion-to-limit-their-audience/
Disney Spent $15 Billion To Limit Their Audience

Over the last decade, Disney has spent $15 billion to recapture the market they once had a stranglehold on: children. Purchasing Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm allowed the company to acquire a massive mix of current popular entertainment and fervent parental nostalgia, and control the dominating forces of franchise entertainment. The empire has been rebuilt, but can it last when it continues to gender divide children and limit their audience?

When Disney bought these companies, they bought thousands of characters, from Buzz Lightyear to Luke Skywalker to Iron Man, and control over massive Hollywood franchises. Marvel has years of potential blockbuster content mapped out, and even more live action television shows from Agents of SHIELD to the upcoming Iron Fist. Though Star Wars’ prequels are reviled, the Force is brewing again with a new trilogy and a whole series of films and off-shoots.

All eyes are set to the future — so much so that Avengers: Age of Ultron barely reached screens before attention turned to Captain America: Civil Warbut practices are staunchly set in the past and willfully blind to the realities of the present.

The arrival of the first Avengers movie marketed “Be a Hero” to boys and “I Need a Hero” to girls, while completely exempting Black Widow from certain merchandise. Disney’s already pushing products for the upcoming Star Wars films, but are excluding Princess Leia from action figures, and popular characters from its Star Wars: Rebels line. Gamora, likewise, was deleted from Guardians of the Galaxy products. With Age of Ultron, Black Widow is not only removed from myriad team shots and merchandise, but from her very own scenes. Instead of marketing Black Widow on her motorcycle, Hasbro offers Captain America and Iron Man.

avengers-age-of-ultron-black-widow.jpg

Black Widow in Avengers: Age of Ultron

What was once implicit is now explicit. Instead of pondering the reasoning behind creative decisions that fail to include women, fans are greeted with flagrant disinterest in the diversity these franchises already have and the money they could make from them. According to a former Marvel employee quoting her supervisor, the company’s desired demographic has no girls because “that’s not why Disney bought us. They already have the girls’ market on lockdown.” The piece goes on to explain, “Disney bought Marvel and Lucasfilm because they wanted to access the male market. To achieve this goal, they allocate less to Marvel’s female demo, and even less to a unisex one.”

Disney spent a staggering $15 billion to expand its hold on the market, only to actively narrow it, limiting their reach and angering the consumers they should be serving: almost half of the 24 million people who identify as comic fans on Facebook are female, and women make up 52% of moviegoers. These empires rely on a certain amount of good faith that diversification is on the way to serve the changing demographics of consumers — faith that’s instantly destroyed by attitudes that trump gender division over basic business sense.

Now everyone from casual consumers to celebrities starring in these vehicles publicly criticize the removal of female characters from official merchandise. Mark Ruffalo lamented the lack of Black Widow merchandise available for his daughters and nieces, while Clark Gregg linked to a petition for Black Widow to be added to a pack of Avengers action figures. This week, Colin Hanks shared a story about making his daughter a Star Wars fan for May 4, only to take her to a toy store where light sabers were only available in the boys’ section, and the only available Leia toy was “Slave Leia,” with a chain hanging from her neck.

There are, of course, many companies involved in these franchises, from Disney, to subsidiaries like Marvel, to the toy companies like Hasbro, to the toy stores that categorize and stock the merchandise. It’s a messy system that allows blame to be scattered and ultimately ignored. But the ultimate responsibilities lay with the owners of the brand and the plans they have for them. If Disney wanted to embrace the diverse fandom these franchises and characters have, they’d push for all of their consumers to be well-served. But at the very least, as a business interested in making money, they’d insist that their products accurately depict the brands they’re selling, and not let old-school gender division hurt the bottom line and anger their audience.

In 2011, Brand Driven Digital published a pieceon eight innovation lessons we can learn from Walt Disney and his life. They include “turn convention on its head,” “diversify,” “keep moving forward,” and finally, “nothing matters more than the community you serve.” Modern Disney is doing the opposite. They are clinging desperately to an old marketing system that doesn’t reflect today’s numbers, while removing fan favorites from their product lines and angering the very community they’re supposed to serve.

With each new creative step, their subsidiaries’ creative content stresses diversity, from the new cast of Star Wars, to the development of a Captain Marvel movie, to the next wave of Avengers. But if they’re not prepared to offer their customers the most basic service — products that reflect the ideas and heroes on-screen — their $15 billion trek to supremacy could become $15 billion trek to destruction.
What an idiotic article. Disney doesn't make Black Widow merch because nobody would BUY Black Widow merch. Anecdotes about Mark Ruffalo's female relatives is not how you build a marketing strategy.

I'm sure "former Marvel employees quoting their supervisor" are a rock-solid source though. Hearsay from a disgruntled former employee is pretty much journalistic malfeasance.

PhotoDave219

What an idiotic article. Disney doesn't make Black Widow merch because nobody would BUY Black Widow merch. Anecdotes about Mark Ruffalo's female relatives is not how you build a marketing strategy.

I'm sure "former Marvel employees quoting their supervisor" are a rock-solid source though. Hearsay from a disgruntled former employee is pretty much journalistic malfeasance.

Well I wouldn't exactly call quotes and emails from the head of Marvel Studios as "hearsay"nor journalistic malfeasance.

Between Ike perlmutter (call him ike Turner… I really want to call Him Ike Turner…) And Kevin Fegie they pretty much have a boys club going.

It goes far beyond the narrative of limited merchandise. It's the culture they have created behind the scenes. It's percolating to the surface in the media in the past six weeks.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If you read the thread, it was reported, and was handled dismissively. According to his twitter, he was also passed around by Disney's people on the phones when he called to follow up on it.

And that's the WHOLE problem with Disney hotels these days, Not that there will NEVER be a problem with a Disney hotel room it's the attitude of the staff when the issue is brought to their attention, More and more the response is 'Suck it up buttercup', not how can we fix the issue to your satisfaction.

The average guest is not looking for 'free' stuff from Disney because there was a problem, All they want is the experience they PAID FOR and quite reasonably expect Disney to provide.

Disney has deep seated labor problems and that's reflected in the attitudes of the CM's toward the guests, If the CM's are badly treated by management that will be reflected in their attitudes towards guests.

In my case yes I waited 6 hours for a room, I was there before 'official' check-in so I EXPECTED a wait at least till 'official' check-in and early would have been gravy but we grab lunch and then a trip to Publix for food and sundries so that soaks up 3-4 hours.

Where I got bent was we waited 2 hours PAST official check in on MONDAY and we got a room with 'issues' which as of now (THURSDAY) have not been fixed.

When one gets a Savanna view 2BR at AKL one expects a perfect room since you are booking one of the premier room classes at the resort. If there is a problem one expects it to be fixed IMMEDIATELY if not sooner, Not the attitude which would be appropriate for a motel which rents rooms by the hour.

If it had been the wait only and the room had been perfect, I simply would have chalked it up to a busy day in housekeeping, That happens EVEN at Disney.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Fair enough.

Probably so. It's tough to keep a smile 24/7, especially after a long day. I know the pain working in the industry myself. Unfortunately that comes with the territory of doing customer service. Fake it til you Make it.

Yes it is, I do customer service at a much higher level and work with C-level executives and the FIRST thing you need to do is LISTEN to why the customer is unhappy, At that point in time it's unimportant who is right.

Like it or not you represent the entire company at that moment in time and YOUR attitude goes a long way to reducing the customers temperature so you can both work on solving the problem.

baymenxpac

Yes it is, I do customer service at a much higher level and work with C-level executives and the FIRST thing you need to do is LISTEN to why the customer is unhappy, At that point in time it's unimportant who is right.

Like it or not you represent the entire company at that moment in time and YOUR attitude goes a long way to reducing the customers temperature so you can both work on solving the problem.

yup. this.

listen, there's certainly a nice little thesis to be written about which came first: the elimination of customer service OR the obnoxious customer unreasonably demanding the moon and the stars. but let's be frank: most people just want to feel like they're not being ripped off.

chiefs11

I agree.. .. I wasn't trying to make excuses for the customer service you received, I'm more implying that much of what they've dealt with over the last year should have been avoided entirely. They really should have shut the place down for 6 months to a year, or at least as long as it would take to refurb both pools and get all the GCH work done. Then the front desk could be happily dealing with bad towels and sheets instead of entire buildings losing power and complaints about mazes of construction walls and noise.

Goofywilliam

In Cedar Fair news...

It looks as if Voyage of the Iron Reef opened up yesterday and so far seems to have very positive reviews. Im posting a link to a POV if your like me and do not live near Knots Berry Farm. Seems to be a fun ride.

Carowinds also seems to be having a major uptick in attendance due to its new Fury 325 roller coaster. It was all over the news when it first opened and I know countless people who are traveling to Charlotte to go check out this amazing new roller coaster.

Now to see what else Cedar fair can do for its parks in the coming years (I've heard some good things about Kings Dominion through the grapevine). It really is an exciting time for this company!

Mike S

In Cedar Fair news...

It looks as if Voyage of the Iron Reef opened up yesterday and so far seems to have very positive reviews. Im posting a link to a POV if your like me and do not live near Knots Berry Farm. Seems to be a fun ride.

Carowinds also seems to be having a major uptick in attendance due to its new Fury 325 roller coaster. It was all over the news when it first opened and I know countless people who are traveling to Charlotte to go check out this amazing new roller coaster.

Now to see what else Cedar fair can do for its parks in the coming years (I've heard some good things about Kings Dominion through the grapevine). It really is an exciting time for this company!

Thank Matt Ouimet, a guy Disney let go.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree.. .. I wasn't trying to make excuses for the customer service you received, I'm more implying that much of what they've dealt with over the last year should have been avoided entirely. They really should have shut the place down for 6 months to a year, or at least as long as it would take to refurb both pools and get all the GCH work done. Then the front desk could be happily dealing with bad towels and sheets instead of entire buildings losing power and complaints about mazes of construction walls and noise.

Yes exactly - they could have closed for 3 months and done 24x7 construction which would have then had zero impact on guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom