A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am not sure the Southeastern Conference would really care at this point. With the calendar saying we are in June, most of the conference is looking ahead to Fall and the Football Season. Roll Tide!

What's NOT funny about this is the majority of 'Muricans are not even AWARE of the Securities and Exchange Commission. SEC to them as you say 'SE Conference"... Scary, Just Scary

BrianLo

A few comments I've been meaning to add to the $800 million dollar "scandal", but the thread took way too long to catch up on.

@WDW1974 (who already came around to touch on this and he can correct me if I’m wrong), never seriously suggested the money was for a graft. That was by and large speculated by other posters here.

I also don't think @WDW1974 has ever suggested that Shanghai Disneyland will be a failure, again that is the opinion of other posters being lobbed onto him. The actual park itself seems well designed, has a historically quite strong line up of opening day attractions and a population who will arrive in droves. Disney botching the entry, having a messy landing, being culturally insensitive are all quite different than the park failing financially. He has never suggested the latter.

One does not have to be an insider to know that delaying a park by 6 months costs money. Lots of money. The money isn’t missing so much as being spent on exactly the thing they promised, aggressively promised, it was not being spent on.

The additional $800 million – with Disney contributing about 43 percent and Shanghai Shendi shouldering the balance – will be used to increase the number of rides operating on opening day.

Disney did not specify what rides and entertainment offerings the additional funds would allow it to add. A spokeswoman said the $800 million would flow entirely toward new offerings and that the deal in no way reflected budget overruns.

Corporations use marketing speech all the time to manipulate facts, but the wording used in their 2014 press releases along with the money allocation were blunt and direct. That’s the only problem. I expected an extra 800 million worth of attractions (that’s along the order of Hong Kong’s three mini-land expansion), and we know that cannot possibly be reality.

Even with cost over runs, shoddy construction, delays etc. I find it odd there wasn’t just an admission. We are so used to hearing about value engineering and slashing budgets. I think people here would have been at least luke-warm to the idea that they were increasing the budget for once to fulfill their original vision. Instead, much like Next Gen, the money is just gobbled up.

118124d1342645990-2016-neuheit-disneyland-shanghai-neuer-park-shanghai-china-db_2012_0718_sdl_map11.jpg

Now in related news, and the only reason there was a smidgen of truth to the whole matter is Toy Story Playland now appears to be under construction. The square orange building in TSPL in the original plans has begun construction. Unfortunately, Toy Story is the only phase two thing that seems to have been accelerated. Keep in mind that as of 2014, TSPL would not have been ready for a 2015 opening day as it would betray HK’s 5 year Asia exclusivity on the land. Spring 2016 however is fair game…

If we accept some of the performance venues have also been added, as @RandySavage speculated, we at least see *some* of the 800 million going to attractions. There will be new attractions (although not great ones). Lets be honest though, the rest is going towards the delayed opening and overruns.

Section106

Maybe we can have the USA kick Disney out, so we can have a real national debate about how horrible OUR government is?

That's silly. You know China doesn't play fair. They sell us pesticide soaked meat, formaldehyde soaked flooring, toxic drywall, soy sauce made from human hair, fox and horse meat labeled as beef, employ slave labor, flood markets with subsidized cheap products to destroy our industries here, manipulate their currency, and steal as much IP as they can get their hands on. If it were up to me I'd ban all trade with that country today.

Iwerks64

If this news has been noted here, sorry. Not that most of us have any doubt corruption is rampant in most governments including China and the US, of course, I think this is topical and current.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/06/...ef-sentenced-to-life-for-corruption/21194493/

This line from the article tells you most of what you need to know about the Chinese crackdown on corruption:

"portrayed simply as a blow against corruption, Zhou's sentencing removes a potential challenge to Xi's authority and has been widely perceived as reflecting factional politics within the ruling party's uppermost echelon."

WildcatDen

I often wonder what most of these Disney defenders do for a living. I bucket it like this:

1.) stay at home spouse who loves to spend their SO money like a drunken sailor. Never did a day of real work on their life.
2.) on govt assistance of some type
3.) works for Disney
4.) has some type of low level hourly job and doesn't understand how the real world works

Am I missing any?
I do not know if this classifies as a Disney Defender, but maybe it is those who head to WDW once every four or five years. Not necessarily for what is new, but more for what it has meant to them in their lives, memory wise? Perhaps someone who has lost a loved one. A loved one with whom they shared many great Disney moments?

asianway

I do not know if this classifies as a Disney Defender, but maybe it is those who head to WDW once every four or five years. Not necessarily for what is new, but more for what it has meant to them in their lives, memory wise? Perhaps someone who has lost a loved one. A loved one with whom they shared many great Disney moments?
There is the nostalgia person - but I don't know a lot fall in the defender category. Most of them know it isn't the same. Seeing the good along with the bad is where most people probably fall

Iwerks64

That's silly. You know China doesn't play fair. They sell us pesticide soaked meat, formaldehyde soaked flooring, toxic drywall, soy sauce made from human hair, fox and horse meat labeled as beef, employ slave labor, flood markets with subsidized cheap products to destroy our industries here, manipulate their currency, and steal as much IP as they can get their hands on. If it were up to me I'd ban all trade with that country today.

watch this and you won't eat any food there either:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom