A Spirited Perfect Ten

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
No, sadly not true. But if you find me one or more ... send them my way and I'll get you a finder's fee.

You folks who don't work or get how media works today just fail to grasp how tough this is. Even if you find a great reporter who wants to run with it, they can be squashed by everyone from their editor to the head of their company/corp. You act like this is easy and everyone would love to cover this. Not true at all.
All understood. I know that the news/media business makes a pile of garbage smell like a summer rose, but Disney doesn't control all of the stank. For every sycophant and fool that cowers in the shadow of the mouse, there's someone in the shadows sharpening the long knives ready to post borderline-fabrications just to bury Disney. I just don't buy that the pro-Disney or Disney-controlled corruption is so heavily disproportionate to the anti-Disney corruption.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hey @flynnibus you like model trains too?, They have been one of my obsessions since childhood (yes I still have some of my childhood trains, Father has the rest as he has the bug bad too!)

I would like to - but honestly lack the real patience for it (or space and funds to do what I'd really want!). I have my 8x4 table setup with the HO sets I had as a child that we'd setup every holiday but its in a jumbled state. When I got this house and had room for it, I was put off by the lack of animated pieces out today that I used to love so much as a kid (lots of TYCO stuff, etc). I also have my father's original lionel O stuff which I've spent some time getting running again... including this Texas Special Loco that needing refurb'ing to get running again. I made this video for my uncles so they could relive their childhood memories where they used to setup their train table on christmas eve

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am also seeing an increase in the use of inappropriate language being used and attempts to bypass language filters. As a reminder, replacing a couple of characters with *#$ does not change the intent of a word and is still classed as inappropriate.

So Qbert is inappropriate?
swear.jpg

That's what I was going for..

And feedback... it's pretty extreme when you can't use normal words like - p-o-r-n-ography

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I would like to - but honestly lack the real patience for it (or space and funds to do what I'd really want!). I have my 8x4 table setup with the HO sets I had as a child that we'd setup every holiday but its in a jumbled state. When I got this house and had room for it, I was put off by the lack of animated pieces out today that I used to love so much as a kid (lots of TYCO stuff, etc). I also have my father's original lionel O stuff which I've spent some time getting running again... including this Texas Special Loco that needing refurb'ing to get running again. I made this video for my uncles so they could relive their childhood memories where they used to setup their train table on christmas eve

That Texas Special F3 A-A pair is in amazing shape, I'm assuming since the horn works it did not meet the fate of so many where the battery was forgotten... I've rebuilt a few using 'cerro metal' it's sacreligious to repair with metallized epoxy.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
All understood. I know that the news/media business makes a pile of garbage smell like a summer rose, but Disney doesn't control all of the stank. For every sycophant and fool that cowers in the shadow of the mouse, there's someone in the shadows sharpening the long knives ready to post borderline-fabrications just to bury Disney. I just don't buy that the pro-Disney or Disney-controlled corruption is so heavily disproportionate to the anti-Disney corruption.

It's not DISNEY so much as ABC - the US media is reluctant to call out other members of the media club, The relationship between media outlets is scarily like 'Fight Club', The exceptions of course are Fox, BBC and Al-Jazeera. The 'Big Three' in the US have become little more than Business and Govt PR departments.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That Texas Special F3 A-A pair is in amazing shape, I'm assuming since the horn works it did not meet the fate of so many where the battery was forgotten... I've rebuilt a few using 'cerro metal' it's sacreligious to repair with metallized epoxy.

The chassis has quite a lot of acid damage from prior leaks and lots was chewed up.. but I did get it working :) It's just neat that we still have the toys from the 50s and they still work, etc. I had many original boxes, etc too but much got damaged in a sewage backup a few years ago :( Along with alot of my older books and tapes too. That was not a fun week.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The chassis has quite a lot of acid damage from prior leaks and lots was chewed up.. but I did get it working :) It's just neat that we still have the toys from the 50s and they still work, etc. I had many original boxes, etc too but much got damaged in a sewage backup a few years ago :( Along with alot of my older books and tapes too. That was not a fun week.

Agreed it is amazing the longevity of those toys from the 1950's, Sorry to hear about the sewage problem.

If you want to do some of the more advanced repairs on your Lionel get one of these

http://0206c74.netsolhost.com/riveting-tools.html

It's a riveting tool which allows you to properly set rivets and install components properly.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For you journalists reading this thread, there are at least six stories about Shanghai Disney Resort
  1. The breakdown in Disney's relationship with its Chinese partners
  2. Graft
  3. Lying about the true intention of the $800 million investment (rebuilding shoddy construction)
  4. Michael Crawford's abrupt flight from his role as GM of the resort to the Four Seasons in Singapore
  5. The lack of BRAND attachment among the Chinese people to Disney
  6. Bob Iger asking Willow Bay to pull an Op-Ed critical of his China strategy from HuffPost

Of the 6 listed I think #1 and #4 are the most significant with #4 being ESPECIALLY significant why does a TOP Disney executive flee the country with little more than the clothes on his back leaving all his possessions in China.

Answer #4 and I think the rest of the issues will fill themselves in.

khale1970

And today the NYT (as I said in this thread) can run a major 1A piece with half a dozen or more unnamed sources. I guess I should be held to even higher standards (to be fair, I actually DO hold myself to higher standards!)

I've no doubt you do and would publish the story under your byline if you still worked in journalism. I'm sure my wording was clumsy, but my comment was directed towards the nature of message board posts versus news stories. Everyone can be anonymous on a message board, but in a news story at a minimum the reporter attaches his name and reputation to the story.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Maybe because he seems obsessed with the topic and defending Bob Iger and has no real interest in the subject ,... beyond his bulge for me?
And you really had to go there? :confused:

You are a liar. I post proof and then I'm told ''well, we don't like that proof'' and then I post more and it's ''Yeah, we don't buy that either. Besides, that source is biased and since you don't like Iger and have admitted it you can't possibly be fair about this.'' (much like the Bob Iger lovers like the poster you tagged must be summarily dismissed because they can't possibly like the guy and be fair ... see how that works?)
I am not a liar, and I have never called you a liar. What proof did you post about any of it? Your copy of an alleged agenda for Igers visit to China? You have never even answered the question about whether it was an initial draft, a final version, or something in between. The question was also asked about the quotes. Where did they come from? You? Someone in China? Not really a hard question to answer. Why are you dodging it? Again, I'm NOT questioning that you received some sort of agenda, but was it the final agenda that was really used for his trip, or an early draft, and who made the comments? And how do we know that the agenda wasn't changed time and time again once they got there?

He didn't miss a thing. Again, this site does not give credit to ANY individuals who break news on the site. News is regularly broken by many of us, myself high on the list. I didn't break news of the Maelstrom. I do believe I broke the news of the Princess Palace, which became exclusively Frozen after the film's box office bonanza. I also was the first one to get a CONFIRMATION that the project was happening from an Imagineer (I posted who he was and where the confirm was given.) Read the damn posts.
Yes, you broke the news that Frozen was coming to Maelstrom long before anyone. I was not questioning that. I was asking if you knew about the information the WSJ posted BEFORE they did, and if so, why didn't you post it here before they did? You do love to scoop everyone, and we love that you do! I understand that you are focusing your efforts on China and SDL right now, but aren't you getting any other inside information that you can post here?

It's also an easy story because it isn't just about Disney. This is SOP in American business. Since Disney is doing it, they used them as a natural stepping off point.

You have a weak understanding of reality when it comes to what makes the news and why ...

Maybe so, but why hasn't a paper like the Guardian broken this story? They certainly had no problem with the NSA/Snowden stuff, even if the American media ignored it - and I absolutely agree that they did, so why not something that you are calling HUGE? Heck, since this site is hosted there, you would think that they read news here as well, or is the story of Iger and SDL simply not big enough for them, since it talks about an American media company? I can't see them giving a carp about "access' to anything Disney, so I can't see them accepting a "bribe" to ignore the story.

So to recap. In one single post you made a disparaging remark about someone's anatomy, and how they feel about you. You called me a liar, and you claim I have a weak understanding of reality. Oh, and you are responding to a post that I made to someone else, and not even one made to you. And then you don't understand why some people are getting discouraged with you around here?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I'm going to reply twice, While the 3 major networks are chattering endlessly about Caitlyn Jenner and the Kardashians over in Davos the financial elite at the so called 'Bilderberg' conference are discussing making cash illegal and limiting the amount of money individuals can withdraw from their accounts, Some of you may have notice that Chase already is DOING that.

Yet is the fact that your money will be controlled by someone other than yourself and if you are a good little work unit you may be given an allowance out of the money you 'earned' but only spendable at 'approved' venues. Is this being covered ANYWHERE in the US ????

This is being done in the name of preventing financial meltdowns, Last time I checked it was not Bill at the Blue Seal feed and hardware store who almost brought down the world financial system by selling products consisting of smoke and mirrors.

No REAL news is no longer covered in the US.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom