A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

But that's like offering someone with a big juicy steak dinner with all the fixins', a couple of quickly forgotten peanuts instead.

It may totally be the case, but I'm not ready to jump to that conclusion because it fits in with the already shaky narrative.
They could have offered him more than that.
like free stuff on parks, free travel..etc..

I mean, that already happened.. didnt it?

Cesar R M

lazyboy97o

@AEfx i'm sorry, but you couldn't be more off base on your assessment of the china for frozen trade.

what is fritz going to write about on china without some kind of cooperation from disney? a story, which -- while probing and in the spirit of what good and fair journalism is supposed to look like -- would have been met with a "TWDC declined to comment on this story" and would have alienated the WSJ from one of the largest media companies in the world.

instead, he gets an exclusive with unprecedented level of access to plans for a WDW attraction that many mainstream consumers care about, which has driven TONS of traffic WSJ.com's way (remember, that's the modern day media currency). and the journal can justify it because it keeps them in disney's good graces, it financially behooves them, and "eh, will our readers care about this china thing anyway?"
How many exposés are written with direct confirmation from the accused? If there are high enough people in Disney who want this to get out why aren't they will to actually talk to someone who could get it out? The Frozen Ever After story was only exclusive for a few hours.

They could have offered him more than that.
like free stuff on parks, free travel..etc..

I mean, that already happened.. didnt it?
That sort of bribery would make for another great story that does not need traditional outlets to be told.

ItlngrlBella

careful, on various forums/websites.. people have started to warn that the hottopic jewerly is low quality and might contain chemicals (in the silver) and even lead with paint on.

Most of that stuff does - even Charming Charlie. It's all cheaply made in China. Lia Sophia is always better quality for the price.

Plus, even though I'm for the 2nd Anendment, I'm not one for gun couture. Tacky. ;)

baymenxpac

How many exposés are written with direct confirmation from the accused? If there are high enough people in Disney who want this to get out why aren't they will to actually talk to someone who could get it out? The Frozen Ever After story was only exclusive for a few hours.

it's not about confirmation. it's all about access. no way the journal is going to alienate disney unless they absolutely have to.

this is likely the course fritz went through:

talked to '74 and others > went to TWDC corporate comms > was told "we're just not going to talk about that, and...off the record...those claims are greatly exaggerated anyway, but what we CAN tell you about as an exlcusive is..."

and all of a sudden the journal has a story with mass appeal, and they file away the sources on the china stuff. it doesn't matter how long it was exclusive for. every single post, including almost every blogger, is linking back to the journal because it's the original sourced report. more clicks = higher ad rates. higher ad rates = more $.

the.dreamfinder

But hey, credit where credit is due - we have to give him props for all those classic films made during that period, too - Pocahontas 2, Lion King 2, Cinderella 2, Lady and the Tramp 2, Hunchback 2, Little Mermaid 2, 101 Dalmatians 2...you know, back when Disney was all about originality before Darth Iger the Acquirer came in and mucked it all up.
Iger has continued many of the worst practices from the Eisner years and the obsession to strip mine characters to death continues to pervade the company. While the sequels may be made in house now under better leadership, the company still wants to make sure it milks every udder until it bleeds. That's not how you keep these characters evergreen, but it's a great way to turn the public against the characters they loved (see Frozen and Cars).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
@AEfx i'm sorry, but you couldn't be more off base on your assessment of the china for frozen trade.

what is fritz going to write about on china without some kind of cooperation from disney? a story, which -- while probing and in the spirit of what good and fair journalism is supposed to look like -- would have been meth with a "TWDC declined to comment on this story" and would have alienated the WSJ from one of the largest media companies in the world.

instead, he gets an exclusive with unprecedented level of access to plans for a WDW attraction that many mainstream consumers care about, which has driven TONS of traffic WSJ.com's way (remember, that's the modern day media currency). and the journal can justify it because it keeps them in disney's good graces, it financially behooves them, and "eh, will our readers care about this china thing anyway?"

And back in the day the denial would have been a story on it's own, I'm so glad I did NOT become a PJ as some of my advisors thought I should be, Today in the US journalists for the most part are glorified PR hacks.

Phil12

it's not about confirmation. it's all about access. no way the journal is going to alienate disney unless they absolutely have to.

this is likely the course fritz went through:

talked to '74 and others > went to TWDC corporate comms > was told "we're just not going to talk about that, and...off the record...those claims are greatly exaggerated anyway, but what we CAN tell you about as an exlcusive is..."

and all of a sudden the journal has a story with mass appeal, and they file away the sources on the china stuff. it doesn't matter how long it was exclusive for. every single post, including almost every blogger, is linking back to the journal because it's the original sourced report. more clicks = higher ad rates. higher ad rates = more $.
On the other hand, this is likely the course Fritz went through:

talked with '74 and others > vetted the information with his own sources > discovered the story was rumor based without hard evidence > quickly realized this was group of obsessive fans with an agenda > Fritz had all ready been given the Frozen Ever After exclusive prior to any contact from "74 and others.

Fritz puts a cautionary note in his file concerning certain Disney fans.

Iwerks64

What negative opinion?
Remember, we're talking about normal people here, not Disney fanatics.
Normal people don't even know Disney is building a park in Shanghai.

I've been trying to catch up on this thread. I was out of town for a week, came back to find myself 100 pages behind, and spent the last 5 days skimming through to catch up. A few random comments:

To those of you who think that Bob's low key presence in Shanghai or lack of photos and characters is simply par for the course and how business is done, you would be wrong. China is very much about ceremony and appearances. No one is saying he should act like a big swinging d__k and go in with guns a blazin'. But the way the relationship between these two joint venture partners is unfolding is not normal and not healthy. That doesn't mean the park will be a failure, just that it is very obvious that this is China's park.

As far as global castle parks go, it's a tough call. I've been to all of them and the only thing I think I would agree on is that the WDW MK is indeed last. DL just has such a different vibe, has a great roster of attractions, is currently undergoing plus sing everywhere. I'd personally put it first. TDL is what WDW MK should be. Paris is just so gorgeous in design that it's easy to overlook the flaws. And HKDL is so relaxing and with the latest adds and those soon to come has great potential. I go back and forth in ranking the middle three (usually coincides with my latest trip).

polynesiangirl

This is basically me every time I sit down to get through the 100 pages I've missed in this thread since the last time I looked:

6j0yCAubbTXNu.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom