A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

Hey, it makes sense to me. I'm open for ideas and plausible explanations that go deeper than Phil's "China doesn't like the West."

And thats not a journalist being "bought".... thats how business at these levels is done. Thats how business journalism is done at these levels. Its about access to the power figures. And its not just the WSJ, its everywhere.

Like I said, I hear you Dave.

But the only evidence we have that anything is wrong is from WDW1974. Evidence that again, if I had, I wouldn't spend hours and hours and weeks trading insults and barbs with people who I claimed just were too dumb to understand, or going after people and attacking their mental illness, or obsessing about weight in a way I've known fashion models who aren't so critical about, or any of the other theatrics that are clearly at play here.

At this point, I want it all to be true - but there is a time that you finish your business, or you get off the pot. And if this is truly such a big deal, the accusations are getting much more serious than "oh let's make fun of Darth Iger." If this is all true, there needs to be an SEC investigation. If the journalists are all getting bought off by stories about theme park attractions, then you have to go as high as you have to go.

PhotoDave219

Like I said, I hear you Dave.

But the only evidence we have that anything is wrong is from WDW1974. Evidence that again, if I had, I wouldn't spend weeks trading insults and barbs with people who I claimed just were too dumb to understand, or going after people and attacking their mental illness, or obsessing about weight in a way I've known fashion models who aren't so critical about, or any of the other theatrics that are clearly at play here.

At this point, I want it all to be true - but there is a time that you finish your business, or you get off the pot. And if this is truly such a big deal, the accusations are getting much more serious than "oh let's make fun of Darth Iger." If this is all true, there needs to be an SEC investigation. If the journalists are all getting bought off by stories about theme park attractions, then you have to go as high as you have to go.

I'm not here to make fun of Iger or call anyone names.

I wanna know where the hell my Star Wars Land is and if this China thing blows up in their faces, I may never see it. Thats my motivation.

Phil12

Spirit approaches his reporting as if he were being held to high journalistic standards. Most of what he puts out, especially anything involving China, has been vetted with at least three separate sources. This is very carefully thought out. Whether some folks choose to understand or appreciate this is up to those who question the quality of the reporting.
Well, with that level of corroboration it must be just a matter of time before this news breaks from the confines of Disney message boards to the big news organizations. I also heard that any day now Willow Bay will be resigning from her position as the director of the USC Annenberg School of Journalism.

AEfx

Spirit approaches his reporting as if he were being held to high journalistic standards.

If that is true, then he would be able to answer these questions:

1. Was that a final, official itinerary that was posted? Or a previous draft?

2. The majority of the "smoking gun" post was commentary about what happened from an unknown point of view - was it a reporter? a member of Disney's staff? a bus driver?

3. Who translated it? Again, a reporter, a member of Disney's staff? A Bus driver? Makes a huge difference.

But in any case, if you are indeed correct, why not put together an article himself and get it out there? This is 2015, not 1985. At this point, an interested party has to shift through a 950 page thread just to understand what the heck is supposedly going on (as several posters have mentioned tonight).

The people here that believe it, believe it. The people here that are skeptical, even if we accept how the narrative changed half-way through, are going to continue be skeptical. Each passing day, more people are moving from Column A to Column B. I know, I moved columns when I couldn't even get my basic questions answered and just got yelled at.

What's the endgame? If this is so completely vetted, why waste the time arguing with folks here about it? Like I said, if the "highest of the high" at the WDC are really paying attention (which, I do know the WDC pays attention to this forum, seen it in action myself), they are laughing, not shaking in their boots as we've been led to believe. Because if this is such a massive story that now includes accusations against a journalist who was specifically named and alleged kickbacks were involved, and things that escalate this to the level of something the SEC would be interested in - this is not the way to go about getting it out there.

AEfx

Well, with that level of corroboration it must be just a matter of time before this news breaks from the confines of Disney message boards to the big news organizations. I also heard that any day now Willow Bay will be resigning from her position as the director of the USC Annenberg School of Journalism.

All the news organizations are being bought off - to heck with that. It's time to involve the board, the stockholders, and the SEC if this all is true and there is triple-vetted evidence. It's a duty at this point if there is so much corruption involved.

AEfx

Its all about access.

How To Contact the SEC

And I'm just a little old nobody on the Internet. If I knew the Eisners, or all the other famous/influential people that WDW1974 claims jet him around the world, I'd think it would be even easier to get attention. Certainly better than expecting someone to happen by and sift through a 950 page thread to figure out what the heck is supposedly going on.

What good is being a "faux 1%er" if you can't get a story like this out there?

bcoachable

Just doing my own research to learn more, I came across this award ceremony on Youtube where Bob Iger was discussing Shanghai Disney... Meat and Potatoes starting at about 7 minutes in. I find it interesting that he has been visiting China for a long time. He should have a pretty good grasp of culture and norms. Also the mentioning of Apple and it's presence in China should have given him a pretty good example for entry. This whole story is playing out like one of those General Hospital episodes! Just like those, I am trying to get hooked, but I just can't seem to get too interested to stay tuned for the next episode... I really hope old Ben decides to write the story he set out to write.

AEfx

Just doing my own research to learn more, I came across this award ceremony on Youtube where Bob Iger was discussing Shanghai Disney... Meat and Potatoes starting at about 7 minutes in. I find it interesting that he has been visiting China for a long time. He should have a pretty good grasp of culture and norms. Also the mentioning of Apple and it's presence in China should have given him a pretty good example for entry. This whole story is playing out like one of those General Hospital episodes! Just like those, I am trying to get hooked, but I just can't seem to get too interested to stay tuned for the next episode... I really hope old Ben decides to write the story he set out to write.

And when this all started, back when it was "Darth Iger is impotent, he couldn't force himself into the spotlight" - this is exactly what we all said. It wasn't appropriate for him to do so, just like Apple execs, etc. also did not take the spotlight. This was heavily argued against - we didn't understand Chinese business.

Then, suddenly, it became - Darth Iger was "detained" at his hotel because he thought he was going to go out and stand in the middle of the spotlight. Because naturally, one wouldn't do that while doing business in China, I mean, how dumb can he be? He should have known that.

Hey, the guy may come across as stiff as a concrete wall, but obviously he knows how to make a deal - he completed the Pixar purchase after Eisner completely soured the relationship, he was able to negotiate the Marvel deal, and hell, he even was able to make a deal with notoriously prickly George Lucas for a price that will probably be about the same amount as the gross for just one film (Episode VII).

But he's completely incompetent at the one thing that even his critics admit he does well.

That Darn Iger!!

VJ

So I cant say that Disney Phillip is a trigger?
About that Philip guy...pretty sure a friend (fellow Disney fan) and I used to know him over Facebook years (like maybe 2012 or so) ago so when you guys brought him back up, I was like "is that the same guy?" and from what I can gather it was. Small world!

AEfx

I can assure you that my Uncle Bob might be fond of the "Darth Iger" moniker. I'll ask him at the Anniversary party for him and Kristine in October...It will be their 20th.... Time flies...

*1023*

P.S. I liked Susan better... She was genuine...

But what about Willow? She's the lynchpin to all this!

And haha, I'm sure he would. Thing is, that's not really his nickname - Darth Iger is this mythical creation of Super Lifestylers who believe he has single-handedly destroyed the WDC and somehow fooled everyone in the world with his Sith Mind Tricks except for a select few who are immune and see him for the scoundrel he really is.

That's why I refer to him as such - because the creature they talk about doesn't fit in with just about anything I've seen about Bob Iger.

PhotoDave219

Much appreciated on posting that. Hadnt seen that. The video that played before he spoke was... interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom