A Spirited Perfect Ten

hopemax

Absolutely nuts.

It is. I am a pin collector, started in 1990, long before Disney started doing it for real, so that's my justification. :D But when it was in the middle of the 3-day lineup craziness, I was so disgusted by everything I went and removed all the DSF pins from my want list on the pin site everyone used to record such things, and refused to buy anymore. A meaningless protest, and I probably just shot myself in the foot, since now those pins are going for even more money. But they're basically building a customer base of "people who only care how much they can resell it for" and someday something even more profitable will come along, they will move on and I can wait.

asianway

It is. I am a pin collector, started in 1990, long before Disney started doing it for real, so that's my justification. :D But when it was in the middle of the 3-day lineup craziness, I was so disgusted by everything I went and removed all the DSF pins from my want list on the pin site everyone used to record such things, and refused to buy anymore. A meaningless protest, and I probably just shot myself in the foot, since now those pins are going for even more money. But they're basically building a customer base of "people who only care how much they can resell it for" and someday something even more profitable will come along, they will move on and I can wait.
I remember going to dsf in 2010 and an entire rack of beloved tales were gathering dust. I could retire if I'd cleaned it out

hopemax

I remember going to dsf in 2010 and an entire rack of beloved tales were gathering dust. I could retire if I'd cleaned it out

I thank my lucky stars that in January 2011, my parents went and bought me several, and a friend got the ones I skipped at that time in May 2011, right before things started going nuts.. But I cry that I didn't want to buy the Snow White and Cinderella ones for $20 on Ebay. I won't ever complete that collection now, thanks to the Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid ones. At one point I only needed 7 pins, but now I'm up to to 17 because of the nonsense.

asianway

I thank my lucky stars that in January 2011, my parents went and bought me several, and a friend got the ones I skipped at that time in May 2011, right before things started going nuts.. But I cry that I didn't want to buy the Snow White and Cinderella ones for $20 on Ebay. I won't ever complete that collection now, thanks to the Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid ones. At one point I only needed 7 pins, but now I'm up to to 17 because of the nonsense.
How on earth did fox and the hound end up being $250? Crazy

truecoat

When it comes to stadium naming, it's often because construction on them is partially publicly funded or at least bonded, and generally building one is actually done at a loss to increase overall revenue/attractiveness of a municipality. This cost is off-set by naming rights, because going from the Fleet Center to the TD Banknorth Garden means someone is saying and advertising their name constantly on tickets, television, etc. (although in that case it's why most of us just refuse to call it anything but the Gah-den even today).

Not to be picky but the pro teams almost always get the naming rights money.

Cesar R M

Maybe it's just me, but I'm shocked people still collect pins.
to each their own.. some people collect figurines, others collect plushes, others collect kellog's bags.
interests like fetishes.. are a personal thing based on interest.

meh, I only collect pins or stuff that reminds me of an event. (like my DCL trip or my first WDW trip ever.. one pin for each park)

TalkingHead

Like I said, I started in 1990. Pins are my "go to" souvenir wherever I go. National Park, roadside attraction, city or Disney, I usually leave with a postcard and a pin.

Yeah, I can see that. I'm just surprised that there's still a robust market for Disney pin collecting.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Eh. Ok.

Meanwhile, in the real world...

disneystock.jpg

Yes. Real world. Bubble gets big. Bubble goes pop.

HP-CPI%2B2013-01B.png

Bairstow

Yes. Real world. Bubble gets big. Bubble goes pop.

HP-CPI%2B2013-01B.png

This would be relevant if the housing bubble is relevant to the recent growth and possible future performance of Walt Disney Company stock.
I don't believe it is.
If you disagree, please explain why.

Funmeister

I'm just taking this from the guest perspective. What if you're from bumchuck Iowa and you're hear for the first time and your little daughter wants that one thing and instead some eBay'r just bought the final 35 all at once? How is that fair? How is that Disneylike by any stretch of the imagination?

It' not fair. It sucks. They could still buy it on ebay I guess? What can Disney do to eliminate this problem? The ebay folks will just send in friends and family (as mentioned earlier) or visit multiple locations themselves. There is no easy way to combat the problem and as long as Disney sells their lot I really do not think they care. As long as they let bloggers get away with some of the stuff they do, then the re-sellers will continue to do what they do. Besides is what they are doing illegal? Illegal no. Sleazy yes.

They could always call 407-824-2222 and have someone in merchandise check and see if there are any available across property. (Check Merlin, that's a blast from the past) They can also see when the items will be back in stock. If the guest has the sku they can also purchase the item over the phone and have it shipped to them after their trip. There was a time years ago that WDW actually put out their own merchandise catalog. It was limited but it included the highest selling shirts, hats and souvenirs.

Feel free to answer or like this post through someone else's response. ;)

invader

I still fail to see the logical connection.
Is the logic now that every upward-trending stock should be considered a bubble?
Other than the fact that it has been trending upwards, what indications are there that Disney stock is currently in a bubble?
It happens all of the time. The stock is following a trend that a lot of stocks go through. Stock prices increase, investment firms become more involved, stock prices continue to rise, the public becomes more involved, investment firms begin to buy on margins, and everyone and their aunt is making making money. They're happy, people speculate and decide to start dumping. People get worried and too begin to dump. Stock drops. Bubble bursts. Same trend, different stock. Look at Apple's stocks, Marsh McLennan's stocks if you don't believe me. Believe the data.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom