A Spirited Perfect Ten

Nemo14

The Walt statue in Tokyo is at the end of World Bazaar, on a little terrace overlooking the Central Plaza. And it's very easy to miss.

It wasn't a Country Fair, it was the Disneyland State Fair '87, to be exact. And yeah, they put a Ferris Wheel in the middle of the Hub right in front of the Castle. And it was super tacky, and the Imagineers threw a fit.
State+Fair+87+Hub+FOC.jpg

Even the paying visitors complained. So they moved it after a month.

Except they moved it to the front of the park, right in front of the train station. Seriously.
State+Fair+87+Train+Station.jpg
:eek::eek::eek:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
OK, so I'm shocked this hasn't become a topic yet.

Apparently after China was done infiltrating the highest levels of the Disney Corporation, they went for some slightly bigger fish...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/04/politics/federal-agency-hacked-personnel-management/index.html

Old news - back in the pre 9/11 days I was network architect for a government agency, there was not a day when the monitoring systems did not report attempted intrusions from Chinese IP blocks. They are a lot better and more subtle these days.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's been talked about a bit. But, no, it's not going to happen and I don't get the fixation with them. Of course that's because I've actually lived in China and seen them all over. They tend to be lazy and sleep most of the day or eat bamboo in the back of an exhibit.

If they spent 15 hours a day online, they might even qualify as a Disney fanboi!

Panda's unlike fanboi's tend to be cute to extremes I think that fact alone explains their appeal.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
More Spirited TEA Musings:

I had a lot of time to think today, most of it not about theme parks but a bit was, and I think the point about Disney largely being a failure for not taking advantage of the 19 million Guests the MK gets to visit its other parks is really a key issues that NEVER gets talked about when these annual number releases become Twit fodder.

How is TDO not an abject failure for neglecting the resort year in and year out?

From a capacity standpoint EPCOT can fit tens of thousands of more Guests into it daily. And because of a smart layout, provided the Promenade is not full of festival kiosks, it can be a comfortable 'more' ... And that doesn't include all the dead areas that have been removed ... let's see we have the entire WoL pavilion, we have the second level of Imagination, we have a chunk of Innoventions, we have the Odyssey complex, we have the World Showplace, we have numerous retail locations in the U.K., in Canada, in France ... that are no longer open.

And the 'answers' for EPCOT right now are a third theater for Soarin and a toon replacement for Maelstrom.

I could go into all the ways The Disney-MGM Studios have been butchered. Or how DAK needs to keep expanding the best park at WDW. But why?

It's all about that Kingdom, bout that Kingdom, no where else (sung to the beat of one of @Lee's pop faves ''All about that bass.'').

WDW has six gates in the swamps along with a mall/lifestyle center and those 30,000 plus rooms. What the TEA numbers make absolutely clear is that looking at the WDW Resort as the standalone resort it believes it is (Universal? Disney knows not of what you speak? Sea World? Of couurse I can see all of the World from the beach at the Poly if I just sit on the patio of one of those 20 bungalow/huts. I Drive?Are you asking me if I have a license?) can only be described as a staggeringly underperforming asset of The Walt Disney Company. Just look at the numbers. You have a mall that needs to be reinvented yet again. And five of the six gates are glaring examples of Disney failing to capture and capitalize the VERY Guests it already has staying on its property and in its own owned and operated resorts.

Sure, the MK is doing great. No argument there. Nothing to debate. Some here might state that it's current often ghetto state is because it's a victim of its own success. As the resort is currently managed, the MK can only be viewed as the vibrant beating heart that it is. You know what the rest of the gates are? Well, you know that staleness that I have talked about ... that going out of business vibe that lingers in the air like the stench of desperation? Those are the rotting limbs that are on the body of the WDW Resort.

So, WDW Co., how far are you going to get when the only thing people are interested in is the myth of Dizzy World and the majestic fiberglass castle?

I guess to a certain extent I am a business person because I've never looked at these numbers quite the way I did this year. And if you work in P&R and the people above retail managers like George Kalogridis, then you should be very concerned. Not by all the great stuff your true only competitor in the market is is coming up with on an annual basis, but by the fact you can't get your own (already bought) customers that most of your resort is worth their time and vacation dollars.

Talk about lost opportunity. Do they even see it as they shutter more parts of more parks and limit offerings and just raise prices to make up for the New Disney Difference?

Long term, that just isn't going to work. And looking out just 3-4 years from now ... folks, let me put it this way: when you find yourself in a well after you ask yourself ''How did I get here?'' you might want to ready yourself for the inevitable SPLAT!

I think the best comparison is another iconic American company, McDonalds 4 Years ago they could do no wrong, They were Wall St's darling, They then started making what was simple complex and also became enamored of 'cheap immigrant labor' for their front line positions at many shops, I cannot tell you how many times I've walked out of a store or driven away from a MickeyD's because the cashier was unable to understand my order. Now they are in deep kimchi with no obvious path to recovery.

The cause is of course the same Executives in a distant HQ making decisions while NEVER stepping in a store because that would be so declasse... Their meals are prepared by personal chef's with Michelin stars, In reality McDonalds Store #1 should BE the corporate dining experience and if the food and service keeps the HQ employees happy it will probably work in the field as well.

The problem with American business these days is the whole 'Nobles and Serfs' mentality which has arisen in the past 30 years or so, This has happened in large part because managers are go directly from college to a management position. Rather than in the old days one was promoted from within so the newly minted manager had some experience with the company and it's customers.

Goofyernmost

popularity? or more like lack of CAPACITY in the park?
I guess one would just have to ask themselves are their any attractions that don't attract the number of people that the others do in the same park, with capacity issues. For example, is there a hours long wait for any of the other M&G's, how full is CoP on any given day, are there lines stretching out along the path to check out the Tree House, how huge is the demand for Stitch. Dumbo, has been a long wait long before Capacity was an issue.

Capacity certainly does have an influence on line length, but, there are attractions that are people magnets, some for reasons that are undefinable by me, but, popularity is a key factor and if they were able now to charge extra for someone to see those things you can bet that they would be on the "E" list.

bhg469

Panda's unlike fanboi's tend to be cute to extremes I think that fact alone explains their appeal.
I definitely watched that baby panda sneezing no less that 100 times. I want to say a video of my dog playing with me in the snow has like 50,000 views on youtube so I guess my dog is panda cute too... it's definitely not me that's for sure.

Last edited:

culturenthrills

Basically the ride was having technical problems all day, they were sending around empty carriages and one got stuck. For some reason (it's looking like this was mainly human error now- someone's going to get fired!) they sent a carriage with people round and were unaware one of the empty carriages was stuck at the bottom of a loop- which the carriage full of people then smashed into at 50mph. Luckily no fatalities but some pretty nasty broken legs for 4 people (the ones in the front row who took the most impact I believe) and the park has now been shut since, whilst investigations happen.

The ride has been pretty faulty since day one- it has been shut a few times, most notably when previously 2 bolts appeared to come off mid ride along with two outer wheel covers another time- which hit two riders. Apparently they went the cheaper route in constructing this ride, that was rumoured before it even opened! It's showing now!

Side note- Alton Towers is in Staffordshire, a good 150 miles north of London. Not too far away if you were in the states- but when England's so small that's half the country away! ;)

Well, unless they were running the ride in manual mode, which would be a major no-no, then it was a system failure. Coasters have block sections and another train should have not entered the block with the stalled train still in it.

culturenthrills

At least they've won a cup. I'm a Panther fan, how do you think I feel? :hilarious:

Yeah, people seem to forget that Tampa won the cup. Oh, and we have been in the top ten in attendance for years. We have one of the best owners in sports, one of the best GM's in all of hockey and one of the best arenas in the country. This team is gonna be in contention for the Cup for years.

culturenthrills

New Spirited TEA Lunchtime Musings Part II:

What I am amazed at is that no one here yet has stated what should be very obvious to anyone crowing about the MK numbers. That is, if I'm running WDW and I can pull 19 million plus into one of my parks, yet not come close with my other three (two of which attract barely half the crowd) that Disney is doing one awful job of running a resort.

Just sorta think about it. You can attract close to 20 million Guests to one of your parks, but barely 10 million to half the parks you operate and you should be lauded for running a resort the right way? Sorry, I ain't buying what the Pixie Dust crowd be a selling. That tells me management is horrible. They are letting all of these visitors walk. How is that a good thing?

Now, before all the first click defenders come out from under their rocks, I have a question.

Either the MK is uber popular (well, it is ... so that ain't the question) and people start their day there and then hop to other parks (in which case, under prevailing theory, those clicks don't count) OR MK loses so many clicks because people go to either the 'three attraction park' or 'the half day park' FIRST and then go to the MK because it's the only park with true regular night hours, so which is it?

Or to make Disney's numbers look more legit (and, yes, I'm saying that most of the numbers TEA prints are best guestimates ...not all but a great many) are we saying people start their days at MK, hop to another park for a few hours and hop on back? I'm curious as to what the Disney fanboi narrative is.

To this day, I still wonder if Disney includes Cast comps and maingates as well as hard ticket events in its internal numbers. They are Guests, after all.

DAK and Disney-MGM's remains somehow show the exact same two percent increases?

Over in Paris, both DLP gates show the exact same drop in numbers when DSP opened a major new E-Ticket and Parisian-themed area.

And back in O-Town, UNI experiences the large increase one would expect from Diagon Alley's debut, yet IOA is completely flat!? Is that the first click BS too where every visitor decided they had to visit DA first and not take the HE over?

And the HK numbers ... Ocean Park still ahead of Disney when the SAR owns both parks, but has a much better relationship with one. I'm sure that doesn't play into anything at all. Nope. Never.

I could go on about the numbers, but then I'd fall into the trap that fanbois do annually. That there is some basic truth that can be gleaned from them.

There is one, I suppose. It's this: people worldwide love theme parks and that 2014 was a very, very good year for the vast majority. That's it.

If you read to the very end of the report, beyond the numbers and the pretty pictures, then you see a disclaimer that is pretty strongly worded. It's in there because the organization knows that many of the numbers are massaged, maybe not by huge amounts (no, the MK isn't getting 12 million visitors and leaking TEA the 19 million number) but enough.

Which makes the annual urinating contest between Team Disney and Team UNI kinda pointless. But it will go on and on ...and what's the saying? If you torture numbers enough they'll say anything?

That's sorta my feelings on the subject.

Everyone and their mother knew Disney and UNI had great years and that SW didn't.
Everyone and their mother knew that regardless of how good UNI did that there was no way it was going past any of Disney's gates (something that matters much more to fanbois).

So why am I talking about it? Yep ... time to stop.

I know we have had this discussion countless times but the thing where the fanbois always forget is per guest spending and that is where UNI is kicking WDW butt. And they are doing it with actual guest spending not just jacking up food and merchandise prices every 6 months to a year. That is where WDW is really losing out to UNI.

bhg469

Yeah, people seem to forget that Tampa won the cup. Oh, and we have been in the top ten in attendance for years. We have one of the best owners in sports, one of the best GM's in all of hockey and one of the best arenas in the country. This team is gonna be in contention for the Cup for years.
Their success in that market is pretty impressive. The Panthers games seem to have a free empty seat costume to the first 8,000 fans feel. I hope to be living near tampa in a year if my company ever signs a deal with the rays. We have been negotiating with them for years. I'm not going to be a bolts fan, but when I am there I will definitely go to some games and definitely wear blue and gold to them.

Bairstow

I know we have had this discussion countless times but the thing where the fanbois always forget is per guest spending and that is where UNI is kicking WDW butt. And they are doing it with actual guest spending not just jacking up food and merchandise prices every 6 months to a year. That is where WDW is really losing out to UNI.

I've heard that too, and all the anecdotes of British families dropping $300 for robes and wands, but as I understand it, that's not something we have data for.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, unless they were running the ride in manual mode, which would be a major no-no, then it was a system failure. Coasters have block sections and another train should have not entered the block with the stalled train still in it.
So much to learn, so much to find out.

As of now sadly one of the victims is critical.

While the ride has had issues, it is two years old now and had seemed to have grown out of teething problems and early design issues. I can't defend these. Sheared bolts. Chainguards ripped. Plenty of valleying during tests.

What we do know is empty test train(s) were sent round in Tuesday. For some reason a car of guests was sent out of station whilst these were continuing. An empty car valleyed about 40% of the way round. This caused the guest car to be held on A lift for some minutes. Between A lift and just before B lift is a single block zone. In this block was the stalled car. There are trim brakes in this zone but nothing to E stop.

The big question is how and why A lift started up again with a valleyed car still in the block.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Might have something to do with the quality and selection of merchandise not just cheap junk you can also find in the toy aisle of the local WalMart. In addition quality eateries that you can simply WALK into and be served yes you might wait Example I was at Hard Rock Cafe over the holidays half of it was closed for a private party and I only waited 45 minutes for a table.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've heard that too, and all the anecdotes of British families dropping $300 for robes and wands, but as I understand it, that's not something we have data for.

Just VISIT and you will see entire British FAMILIES with robes and wands!!! Plus the robes and wands are of reasonably high quality so they will last, No I don't have a set as Cosplay has never been my thing

Nubs70

When I was at UNI it was common to see people walking out of Ollivander's with 4-5 wands per person at roughly $50/wand. Kids and adults lined up 3 deep at all the interactive displays.

How does WDW monetize Agent P???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom