A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

The attacks, hate and accusations towards 74 come as no surprise. This information i'm sure is quite a dangerous threat to Iger and his maniacal defenders. To me, this desperation is absolute proof that 74 is really starting to make people squirm within the company (along with the people who shill for them). You could look at it as a good sign.

Well it's how you discredit people, unfortunately. Rather than actually examining the fax or reports about what's going on, people go after the source of the information and attempt to discredit them rather than looking at the validity of what May or may not have happened.

There are some facts that reinforce the narrative put forth. And examination of the entire take of photos on different wire services andGetty images shows that The only Westerner present was Candland.

Where I have questions is that if this is how China is treating Disney at the opening of a mirror Disney store? How by heck are they going to behave wants the Shanghai resort is actually opened?

devoy1701

Yeah, so what?!?!

He bought Pixar, Marvel and Lucas and they make waaaay kewl movies that make billions ... and some people assume they always will.

Iger is a genius. If being a great shopper with other people's money makes one a genius.

I agree with this sentiment. Iger is a genius businessman and has succeeded in propelling TWDC company to new levels by acquiring the most well-known and popular intellectual properties out there. But as a keeper to the Kingdom, I think he has failed. His success has come at the expense of holding true to TWDC's roots in my opinion.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Now THAT is a powerful post. One that needs to be shared all over the 'net.

I'd hope that it would be, but fully expect that it won't. Fanbois are petulant and many either don't like the messenger or don't wish to harm what they perceive 'my relationship with Disney.' or both.

They talk a good game, but when it comes to action (even simply Tweeting something) they'd rather talk about construction walls, Orange Birds and where (or if) Tomorrowland went wrong.

What they fail to realize is they actually have power to do something ... something that could matter. Much better to wallow in insignificance.

Now ... what did Mongello say today about the Poly lobby? And what 'rare character' will be making appearances at the upcharge parties?

gmajew

Premium Member
@WDW1974 thanks for the China post. Very concerning and as much as it is a slap on Iger it shows the bigger concerns and fear of the China government and what they will and will not allow. Disney is stupid to agree to this behavior but the bigger concern for me going forward is how will western business be themselves and their brands in this country. Or is that not an option at this time?

I personally am sick of America walking on tip toes around the China government. We allow so much to happen against America business ip patents etc and we just stand back and allow it and allow them to do it. It has got to stop!

China is one of the biggest untapped markets for western business but it is not worth the cost if we have to operate as They dictate.

Sorry for my rant. Disney screwed up and this deal smells has smelled and will smell but will smell when you get into bed with this country.

Apple has maybe more pull as they buy so much from this region maybe that is why they play game better. But damn Disney screwed up.

Goofyernmost

Sir, I think we're talking about Business1, not A1 of the paper.

I think most of America has a maliase about anything that doesn't effect them right this given moment.
Even then... the only adverse affect would be that Disney stops buying back their own stock due to the fact that they would feel that it would be worthless in short order. Businesses that do business in China have an interest and are watching what is happening, but, not pre-determining what is going on. They are curious to the extent that what happens with Disney may dictate (pun intended) how much they move toward that market. All the more reason to lower the concern over a governmental taking complete ownership. China has a risk as well if they want to remain on good terms with world businesses.

None of the stuff that has been presented here is not available to everyone already, if they felt any need to know. Hell, we don't even have a need to know, yet, we seem to have the situation completely covered. If anyone group or organization has a motivation to "get to the bottom" of this topic, it is them, not us. They aren't showing any concern and I cannot think of any good reason to be concerned about it myself. To me, and I understand that I am not an expert, at this point all the allegations, including the 800 mil., are no more suspicious then any other venture project. There simply is no smoking gun, there is no line of complaint or concern on the part of the participants or the regulating agencies that might have an interest. What there is happens to be a number of things that have happened that may or may not be problematic, but, no one but this grouping has connected the dots in this manner, or we really would be hearing about it. Big time! Plus there is a culture that we can see is different then us, but cannot quite wrap our heads around what it means to that particular culture and how inflexible that might be to their support.

We tend to judge everything by how WE would do things. Our PR method is to build up and excite to draw in people that have at least some idea about what it is all about. In China all the PR that they need is a directive from the government telling the public that here is something that we decided is good for us and think that everyone should go to it because it will be fun. Build it and they will come.

HenryMystic

No surprise. What were they discussing instead? Can't imagine what Disney could be doing in O-Town right now worth any discussion.
Nothing of circumstance for Dis today. USH announced its Potter stuff today. Some concept art for Sapphire Falls was released by BestofOrlando blog. The resort will feature a nice looking bar that should have some DisFans a bit jealous.

Shaman

I personally am sick of America walking on tip toes around the China government. We allow so much to happen against America business ip patents etc and we just stand back and allow it and allow them to do it. It has got to stop!

China is one of the biggest untapped markets for western business but it is not worth the cost if we have to operate as They dictate.

Sorry for my rant.

What's the alternative? Nuke 'em?

American companies should dictate how they will be allowed to conduct business in foreign lands?

I'm all for transparency and if Disney is being met with obstacles, investors have a right to know. But Disney does not have a right to tell China how they will run the parks, marketing, and other aspects of the business on Chinese soil.

Disney has to follow Chinese laws. They knew this was part of the venture. Hopefully.

hopemax

...except the park itself.
Shendi Group could have 100% of the profits, and more importantly the Party would have full control of the park's intellectual and ideological message. The better question is, if Shendi is still confident in the park's success, why wouldn't they take it?

Again, with my limited knowledge, it seems like taking the park is too big of a middle finger to Western business, and might scare off future investment. Disney seems "too big of a company to screw entirely." While doing something else, I started wondering if how China views Disney might be more akin to how Disney views somebody like Valley Crest. They are a "landscaper" and thus are entitled to receive payment for their services, which will be paid on time and in full, like an honorable business would. And maybe they get some input into the best way to turn the idea into reality. But a landscaper's place is only to suggest the plants and flowers, placement, etc. The entity commissioning the project expects to retain the right to say, "no, we don't want any yellow flowers," and for the "contractor" to say nothing. For Disney to expect to have their people present would be as ridiculous as Valley Crest's CEO expecting to be in a photo op for Flower & Garden. Maybe in small, horticultural business publication you might see it, but not in Newsweek or something. And the problem is that it never crossed anyone's mind at Disney that they could be used in such a way, after all, they're Disney!

So how far off am I?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow. Just Wow. Thank you for the information @WDW1974. I expected it to be thorough and concise but you have outdone yourself. Do thank your sources for us.

I can certainly see why this is not being covered at all by financial media. Powerful and telling stuff you have there.

At least a few people do grasp why something like this would be ignored by the financial press. I hope to speak to a member of that fraternity later this afternoon (of course, I am mindful of the fact they may well take everything I say and run right back to Zenia Mucha and her flying monkeys with it ... it sadly is what media/journalism has become in the 21st century.)

gmajew

Premium Member
What's the alternative? Nuke 'em?

American companies should dictate how they will be allowed to conduct business in foreign lands?

I'm all for transparency and if Disney is being met with obstacles, investors have a right to know. But Disney does not have a right to tell China how they will run the parks, marketing, and other aspects of the business on Chinese soil.

Disney has to follow Chinese laws. They knew this was part of the venture. Hopefully.

Then it was a bad deal for an american business.... No american company or any company should ever just grab their ankles to do business in an new market. Bad move by Disney... But it may be an eye opening experience for future business going forward.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I ned historical menus to prove my point. Nobody has those.

It went from NY Strip to Sirloin to something else and then Pot Roast. It went downhill.

The more recent disappearance of the tuna casserole (which featured tuna steak) was a big disappointment to me. Dining has gone down hill over the years.

I'm not arguing that Prime Time has gone down hill. I'm rejecting your premise that the dining plan is to blame.

Again, if the dining plan is what sent it down hill, why wouldn't the other restaurants also have seen a similar decline?

I'd say that on the whole they have. The dining plan increased the number of patrons in each sit down eatery, gave each eatery reason to streamline the menu (i.e. less choices) to increase throughput, and removed competition. Further, the goal is no longer to have dining that is stupendously tasty, but rather inoffensive once you decide to have many guests buy into an institutional style dining plan. Finally, once you have people hooked into every meal for the sake of "convenience" you are then able to even erode the value of the dining plan, (no tip, no appetizer/can't even substitute an appetizer for dessert, no leeway in how a family organizes a meal since kids have to pay adult prices at the age of 10).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom