A Spirited Perfect Ten

cdd89

Disney are promoting the heck out of Inside Out. The WDS park in Paris has the movie adorning every spare inch of poster space in the park. I'm sure it'll be great, but between it and the glorified Tomorrowland trailer in EPCOT... well, I'm just not sure where they're going with this. I know Disney think their parks are a branding tool for their property, but I don't think most visitors go to the parks to be sold forthcoming Disney movies (the product placement in Art Of Animation is equally objectionable IMO).

Having done 3 resorts this month (yes, time for a break I think... now I've done Tokyo Disneyland park I can slow down!) I was a bit surprised by how much material Paris sees fit to re-use. Not only Disney Dreams of Christmas (/Christmas Wishes etc) but also the Easter parade, which was playing in TDL as well. I've nothing against sharing of materials per-se, but it seems Paris rarely does anything original. Why does my local park have to be the derivative one?

Seeing DisneySea once again really spells out the trouble WDW is in frankly. Universal would never survive in Tokyo because the OLC doesn't take guest satisfaction for granted, and Universal wouldn't be able to build up the moment required for success... meanwhile, WDW's complacency has given rise to competition that I would suggest they are now powerless to stop, even if they did start pouring in obscene amounts of cash. Even if I prefer the WDW atmosphere several times over that of UOR, I don't think anyone with half a brain can deny that UOR has the better attraction lineup... and that's comparing two parks against four.

Perhaps part of the reason why screen-heavy attractions seem to have become "preferred" for high-budget investments is just a matter of Disney copying what works for Universal. Certainly if you look at Sindbad's Storybook Voyage, it proves that the traditional dark ride is far from dead. I must have enjoyed that at least 7 times. If all Disney knocks out is a useless Little Mermaid attraction, it's not surprising the public's imagination isn't being captured any more... and that's a shame because an exceptional dark ride is infinitely more repeatable than the likes of Harry Potter, Ratatouille, etc.

I think it's an interesting observation that WDW presses merchandise at every opportunity (and blocks off non-gift-shop exits to attractions), and yet a minority (a significant minority, but a minority nonetheless) brandish Disney products as they tour the park... and meanwhile TDL rarely forces you through a gift shop, and yet 95% of people I saw had some piece of Disney merchandise (ranging from small to waaaay-over-the-top).

I also thought it's interesting that meals (both table service and counter service) are delicious and great value in TDR (although I'm beginning to think the Secret Room in Mallegans is actually the Get-The-Underdressed-Idiot-Western-Tourist-Out-Of-Everyone's-Sight room, since I was ushered in there without even asking). It certainly beats the rip-off joint known as Be Our Guest, where I paid a small fortune for by a long way the worst meal I have eaten at a Disney restaurant... including Disneyland Paris, which is saying a lot (and I chose a Dinner slot under the illusion that would make the food better... think again).

Sorry for the long post, but hey, I feel better for having got that random assortment of nonsense off my chest - so if you read this, consider it your charitable contribution for the day ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Oh I think it makes perfect sense for them to build a water park. My point is, I'm assuming many were already staying that extra night and enjoying one of the nearby water parks off property. This probably hits the WetnWild and Aquatica harder than Disney.

Universal's aggressive strategy should concern Disney...at least push them to shorten the construction periods for the stuff being worked on...and dare I say the stuff rumored.

Competition is good. The Theme Park wars continue.

WDW conceded the theme park wars long ago when Iger was hired, Now they will be content to run them into the ground and sell off the real estate when attendance finally collapses.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Seeing DisneySea once again really spells out the trouble WDW is in frankly. Universal would never survive in Tokyo because the OLC doesn't take guest satisfaction for granted, and Universal wouldn't be able to build up the moment required for success... meanwhile, WDW's complacency has given rise to competition that I would suggest they are now powerless to stop, even if they did start pouring in obscene amounts of cash. Even if I prefer the WDW atmosphere several times over that of UOR, I don't think anyone with half a brain can deny that UOR has the better attraction lineup... and that's comparing two parks against four.

I dunno, Universal does just fine in Osaka from all accounts....not sure how much real competition there is domestically between the parks though...I think they're more locals driven

cdd89

I dunno, Universal does just fine in Osaka from all accounts....not sure how much real competition there is domestically between the parks though...I think they're more locals driven
Hmm. I wasn't all that impressed by Univesal Osaka... although I saw it during the summer, and some trip reports I saw from Halloween look pretty astounding. I certainly have no inclination to go to Universal Singapore as a result, although I'm sure I will soon enough.

But I think it's fairly telling that Uni set themselves up in Osaka, not in direct competition with Disney. If they thought they could compete on their own terms, why not build near to Tokyo?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Hmm. I wasn't all that impressed by Univesal Osaka... although I saw it during the summer, and some trip reports I saw from Halloween look pretty astounding. I certainly have no inclination to go to Universal Singapore as a result, although I'm sure I will soon enough.

But I think it's fairly telling that Uni set themselves up in Osaka, not in direct competition with Disney. If they thought they could compete on their own terms, why not build near to Tokyo?

If you have a vast un-tapped local market that is a huge city that can attract southern Japan's population, why build in Tokyo? It's not always about building across the street just because you can.

ParentsOf4

And at the same time, try to remember that the previous 15 years they did almost nothing while WDW added an entire park and a gazillion resort hotels. Universal has done a great job in the past 5 years and have raised the bar to almost be where WDW was 5 years ago.
DAK opened in 1998. Excluding timeshares, between the opening of DAK and the opening of WWOHP (a 12-year timespan), WDW added 2 hotels: AKL in 2001 and POP in 2003.

IOA opened in 1999.

It's misleading to write "try to remember that the previous 15 years they did almost nothing while WDW added an entire park and a gazillion resort hotels."

FigmentJedi

Sad news from Marceline, Missouri

It’s with a heavy heart that the Walt Disney Hometown Museum sadly announces the loss of Walt’s beloved Dreaming Tree.

After a lengthy battle against disease and repeated lightening strikes, the mighty cottonwood that gave spark to Walt’s vivid childhood imagination finally gave way to a particularly strong wind storm that blew through Marceline last week.

For safely sake, a temporary fence will be erected around the area. Please respect the location as you would any other historic site.

Details on future refurbishment of the Dreaming Tree property will be shared with all our Disney fans once we’ve finalized our plans for a fitting tribute to this iconic Marceline legend.

www.WaltDisneyMuseum.org/marceline/walts-dreaming-tree-and-barn/

wogwog

Absolutely. It will be interesting to see how they work the tickets for this. I'm sure it will be set up in some way to encourage people to start spending 3-4 (if not 5) days on property at Uni. Which, coupled with some relaxing pool days at the hotel, is getting close to spending a week long vacation entirely on Uni property (or maybe just going one day to Sea world or the like).
Maybe Uni could use some kind of Magical cheap looking piece of jewelry that would trick guests into staying only at Uni that even opens a door. (sarc)

Cesar R M

Boy, Universal are really rubbing Disney's noses in it with their PR department.

"It will be set in a highly themed, completely immersive environment... the kind of special place that only the Universal team – the same team that has changed the face of Universal Orlando Resort in recent years - can envision and create"

"Volcano Bay shows how Universal Orlando is continuing to evolve at an unprecedented rate that will not slow anytime soon"

In other words, 'who's the daddy?'
Meanwhile at Disney .. "well.. we.. hmm.. fine.. let's do a 24 hour party with nothing new to show! THAT WILL TEACH THEM!".

TalkingHead

I've never heard of "Walt's Dreaming Tree." Maybe the tree could be purchased by the Walt Disney Company and made into benches for the Studios in Burbank and the Disneyland park where people could enjoy a rest and do some daydreaming themselves.

Some fan you are.

It was while he was sitting under the "Dreaming Tree" that Walt did some of his best dreaming. Supposedly, one spring afternoon as a wee lad, he was leaning against its faithful trunk and chewing on a piece of straw when he gazed up at the blue Missouri sky and vowed to the heavens, "I will give the people of this world my Disney Parks where all the magic in the world will live."

At least, that's what I read on the construction wall in Disney Springs.

Bairstow

Does anyone else get a weird, religious/cult of personality vibe from lore like this?

The-Dreaming-Tree.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom