A Spirited Perfect Ten

TalkingHead

If the waterfalls on the volcano are anything like the concept art, it's going to be a great centerpiece.

It'll be interesting to see how Universal Creative maximizes the plot of land for Volcano Bay. If they've proven anything with Transformers, Diagon, and Kong, it's that they fully understand the Disneyland principle of getting the most out of a limited area.

Just the fact that they're fitting a water park between Cabana Bay and the highway says a lot about their ingenious use of space.

doctornick

All of the character movie dark rides.. including Nemo are this book report format.. safe money is on a repeat of that

Technically, isn't the Nemo ride at Epcot (and the Subs in Anaheim) not an actual retelling of the movie, but Nemo is simply lost again and Marlin goes through a similar process to try to find him. (Yes, I realize that this is even sillier than just retelling the movie.)

From the official park website:

The ever-elusive clownfish is missing again, but is he really lost or just playfully hiding? Help Marlin and Dory find him!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Technically, isn't the Nemo ride at Epcot (and the Subs in Anaheim) not an actual retelling of the movie, but Nemo is simply lost again and Marlin goes through a similar process to try to find him. (Yes, I realize that this is even sillier than just retelling the movie.)

From the official park website:

retelling the same story again.. might as well be the same story :)

MKCP 1985

My biggest issue is not the price, but the value. This is where consumers have to flex their muscle and refuse to pay increases for a lesser experience.

I don't mind paying for things, as long as I feel they're worth the cost. Price increases are inevitable, but people have to ask: what am I getting in return? Disney banks on the nostalgia, but eventually people will seek different much cheaper experiences.

I'm not a basher, more of an ambivalent pixie duster, and I just feel (like many obviously) that Disney should be investing much more resort-wide. Which isn't to say that they haven't or aren't (FLE, Disney Springs, Magic Bands, Avatarland), but they shouldn't wait until the next economic downturn to build up the Studios Park or figure out what to do with Future World in Epcot. Investments for long term gains are prudent. Stuff like Magic Bands, FP+, Disney Springs will probably yield lots of profits down the road. But will people still be interested in Epcot or The Studios then? It's a balancing act, running a business is hard.

The fans will probably always show up, but eventually the "magic" may be out of reach for most. And that nostalgia? Well if families stop coming, what connection will the younger generations have to the parks? What effect does that have on the brand?

We all look around and see the problem areas. Then, we argue about the extent and the causes. But attractions close, paint fades, trees go missing, admissions prices rise and most of us...still pay the Mouse. Maybe we don't stay at a Disney resort, or dont buy souvenirs, or eat before/after the parks, and maybe we don't visit as often...but we still walk through those gates.

We are enablers. And I type this as I get ready to renew my AP, which costs more than it did last year, nevermind way back when I first became a passholder. Honestly not sure how much longer I'll keep renewing...there are some things coming that I'm looking forward to, so at least another year or two...or three or....

Sorry for the long post.
Great post - and you've captured why I broke up this year with D23. :( Dishing it off to the Disney Store for service and renewals was the first strike against it. Does anyone actually like dealing with the Disney Store's telephone number and website? I sure don't. The second strike was 86ing Steve Clark and not replacing him with a point person. You want to know who is running the club? Try asking the Disney Store. That's not really fair on my part. For all I know Mr. Clark found a better gig. The point is there is very little information as to why D23 went from having a point of contact to being a 100% commercialized magazine and website. The third strike was the Christmas member gift of a discount coupon for hair product. Let's see, in year 1 we were given a reproduction of the Christmas Card Walt and Lilian sent out. By year 4, we were getting a discount coupon. Happy holidays, indeed.

Oh, they tried to coax a renewal with the reproduction of the Disneyland sketch book - very cool, I admit. But the first issue of 2015, they revealed their true selves: A drawing of the Disneyland D and diamond on the cover - completely lacking in soul or nostalgia and 100% marketing. It is only a matter of time until Duffy graces the cover (I kid?)

But yeah, you nailed it. Disney, keep following the pack instead of leading the pack. See where that gets you when the next generation's Saul Steinberg comes calling (80s corporate raider who would have bought Disney and sold off the pieces - hey, it almost happened! Look it up.) Give your public real value to justify the high prices or watch them throw "that's magical" right back in your faces.

Oh, but I am not a hater. I enjoyed the Villains Night last fall and look forward to checking out Pandora-World once it is actually up and running. In the meantime, if someone wants to take a quick trip down there, I am up for staying offsite and hitting Universal Studios - I really want to see that Escape from Gringotts - while we are there.

space42

No, but they will book it for the "new" Frozen ride they know nothing about because their toddler kids are begging them

I suppose it really depends on how they market this. If they indeed try to pass it off as a 'brand new experience' it may end up back-firing on them. The Maelstrom barely could keep up with a moderately busy Epcot day without a 40 minute wait.

Bairstow

Frozen is going to give Epcot and Disney a huge bump in 2016. I don't see Kong giving IOA the same bump.

I'm not sure if Universal/Comcast is interested in "bumps" so much as a sustained momentum generated by a constant stream of new offerings.

Long-term, they seem to be focused on becoming their own 3/4 day destination instead of a 1/2-day diversion, which calls for content/attractions in general rather than major headliners like Potter. Making people buy that third day/night is an enormously lucrative goal.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm not sure if Universal/Comcast is interested in "bumps" so much as a sustained momentum generated by a constant stream of new offerings.

Long-term, they seem to be focused on becoming their own 3/4 day destination instead of a 1/2-day diversion, which calls for content/attractions in general rather than major headliners like Potter. Making people buy that third day/night is an enormously lucrative goal.

That can also radically change the amount of people choosing to stay on-site

twebber55

If the waterfalls on the volcano are anything like the concept art, it's going to be a great centerpiece.

It'll be interesting to see how Universal Creative maximizes the plot of land for Volcano Bay. If they've proven anything with Transformers, Diagon, and Kong, it's that they fully understand the Disneyland principle of getting the most out of a limited area.

Just the fact that they're fitting a water park between Cabana Bay and the highway says a lot about their ingenious use of space.
I agree
water falls coming off of rock work can be an incredible look for a land

doctornick

yes
I think this is more of a game change than any land inside the parks because it adds an extra night at an onsite hotel

Absolutely. It will be interesting to see how they work the tickets for this. I'm sure it will be set up in some way to encourage people to start spending 3-4 (if not 5) days on property at Uni. Which, coupled with some relaxing pool days at the hotel, is getting close to spending a week long vacation entirely on Uni property (or maybe just going one day to Sea world or the like).

twebber55

Absolutely. It will be interesting to see how they work the tickets for this. I'm sure it will be set up in some way to encourage people to start spending 3-4 (if not 5) days on property at Uni. Which, coupled with some relaxing pool days at the hotel, is getting close to spending a week long vacation entirely on Uni property (or maybe just going one day to Sea world or the like).
once this is built I see universal buying more land to add more hotels

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom