A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But try doing that at least once a week, 20 hours straight with not much more than a pre-determined 30 minute break to try to rush down some food (a break which could come at any time in the day), while having to maintain a good appearance and be polite to everyone. And you're not allowed to sit down. Oh, and you can be fired without cause at any time for any reason, and regularly see colleagues being fired, instead of it just being a technical possibility, so you never know when you'll be next.

And most of all, I bet the IT workers you're comparing to CPs aren't on minimum wage.

Are there tougher jobs than being an MK CP? Sure, but that doesn't mean anyone should endorse the working conditions Disney has developed over the last couple of decades, which is pretty much identical to the Foxconn factory slaves the US media is so quick to criticise in China.

The IT guys (in my case field guys) share one key attribute with the average CM, Once they get there they are not in control they are there until the customer says they can leave that frequently means no meal breaks etc in my 'go kit' I have energy bars and a MRE for those extended troubleshoots.

BrerJon

It would be interesting to see the figures for how many UK visitors come to Orlando every year compared to other countries in the EU. I know for a fact that in the last five years any major airline flying to Orlando from the UK has increased the seats available,some airports have tripled seats leaving from that airport! I'm guessing after USA and Brazil it will be Mexico, and Canada for most visitors,would the UK be next?

I think it's Americans, Canadians, with British and Brazilians tied for third place. I would have expected British visitors to drop off but the lure of Harry Potter seems to have offset the reduction of discounts on Disney hotel room, free dining and ticket price increases.

culturenthrills

SeaWorld announced the name for their new coaster. Mako will go 200 ft high and 70 mph.

http://www./2015/05/seaworld-orland...-coaster-the-tallest-and-fastest-in-the-city/

I'm probably more excited about this than Kong. A hyper coaster is the one major type of coaster we have been missing here in Florida. Apollos Chariot is one of my favorite steel coasters so I am so happy it is a B&M. Words can't describe how awesome the floater airtime is on a B&M hyper.

BrerJon

Well deal I got this year for coming in September is 14 days for the price of 7 tickets which we paid £300 ($450) for each, free Disney dining plan (one table service,one QS,one snack and refillable mug) we are staying at AKL,if we had chosen POR like we did last time we would have got the free quick service dining plan,plus we get a $200 free Disney gift card.....all these deals are standard for all travel agents bar a few dollars difference in price of tickets. Next years deal includes all of the above plus a free memory maker package!

UK deals tend to vastly increase the cost of hotel room rates - the US website rates are always much, much less than the UK website rates, but the tickets are much cheaper - Americans don't have anything like Ultimate Tickets, and the Brits also get way more free dining, so it appears a great deal and continues to draw them across the pond, but Disney makes a huge profit on the room prices.

Of course the main draw for the Brits, and the reason why ever increasing Disney prices haven't bitten hard, comes from the boy wizard further along I-4.

culturenthrills

It always amazes me when I see the treatment CMs receive not by Disney, but by guests. Not sure why I'm surprised. I deal with the public on a regular basis, and I think most people who work in any kind of customer facing capacity will agree: People suck.

I sit and watch the masses being herded through Mainstreet and the Hub...the man power needed for it...misery. And these vacationers, you would think are happy, but no, they're hostile. I can only imagine the kind of patience needed just to keep one's composure...forget the pixie dust. Needless to say, I try to be as nice to CMs as possible.

Disney could raise these CMs wages and it wouldn't negatively impact the bottom line all that much. Happy employees are good for business...and good for fostering, in employees, that special magic Disney is known for....which makes for a better experience for customers.

But this is hardly a Disney-only problem...especially in a state like Florida.

I think one of the reasons a lot of TM's are a lot happier than their WDW counterparts is Universal does not put up with guest shenanigans. Disney has allowed guests to get away with abusing CM's for years now. Universal will toss you out the park in a heartbeat.

Animaniac93-98

I think it's Americans, Canadians, with British and Brazilians tied for third place. I would have expected British visitors to drop off but the lure of Harry Potter seems to have offset the reduction of discounts on Disney hotel room, free dining and ticket price increases.

The Brits have now moved to 4th place, after the Brazilians. However, they still love WDW because a) it's in Florida b) they get exclusive rates, packages and discounts and c) they're here for 2 weeks so they do everything in the Orlando area. The pound being worth more than the US dollar is probably a contributing factor too.

I'm still wondering how Disney will deal with the huge influx in Brazilians in the long term. They really should have more Portuguese speaking staff and printed literature in the parks, along with new safety spiels on the rides (especially about "no flash pictures"). They've been lucky in the past that the top 3 counties have all been mostly English speaking.

Mike S

I'm probably more excited about this than Kong. A hyper coaster is the one major type of coaster we have been missing here in Florida. Apollos Chariot is one of my favorite steel coasters so I am so happy it is a B&M. Words can't describe how awesome the floater airtime is on a B&M hyper.
:eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrerJon

I'm just pleased Sea World is following the Universal method of construction, and not the Disney one.

Summer 2016. I had to check I read that right. So about a year from now, opening with Kong. And they've barely started construction.

How long did Disney take to build that kiddie-coaster mine train again? And how's 2011's big announcement for Animal Kingdom coming along? At this point Disney is just an embarrassment.

lazyboy97o

I'm just pleased Sea World is following the Universal method of construction, and not the Disney one.

Summer 2016. I had to check I read that right. So about a year from now, opening with Kong. And they've barely started construction.

How long did Disney take to build that kiddie-coaster mine train again? And how's 2011's big announcement for Animal Kingdom coming along? At this point Disney is just an embarrassment.
Most parks announce their new coaster at the end of their season (around August), build it through the winter and have it open around Memorial Day. A lot of those are in places where it gets much colder in the winter. New thematic elements around the coaster will occupy time, but that's not entirely new construction.

maxairmike

I think one of the reasons a lot of TM's are a lot happier than their WDW counterparts is Universal does not put up with guest shenanigans. Disney has allowed guests to get away with abusing CM's for years now. Universal will toss you out the park in a heartbeat.

Disney's aversion to confronting guests over excessive/inexcusable behavior is baffling at times, if not simply maddening.

culturenthrills

Most parks announce their new coaster at the end of their season (around August), build it through the winter and have it open around Memorial Day. A lot of those are in places where it gets much colder in the winter. New thematic elements around the coaster will occupy time, but that's not entirely new construction.

I think that is the bonus coming out of this is that the area around Shark Encounter will get a much needed refresh. Creating the footers for a coaster like this takes up most of the construction time esp for the sections that will be over water.

Donald Razorduck

Yes. It very could be. Means we're going to have to play nice because after 14 years of War, I'm not sure the American people have it in them to support yet another war.

Anyways yes these issues will have an impact on the Shanghai project if bullets start flying.

Alas, I don't think it will go that far. This is China asserting itself on the International Stage as a Superpower. It will be another Cold War.

China reminds me of Japan of the early 20th century growing industy and society yet...

This will be like all major conflicts Should it break out. America will be reluctant but in the end will have to finish it. This isn't Iraq, this is much more. It's the reason Japan and Australia wants us to unmothball the F-22 line and sell them some.

People astonish me in thinking that humans have had some sort of an epithany against starting wars for reasons beyond reason. Got news for them, humans are humans. American are so sheltered, most have no clue of the carnage that's taking place in places next door like Mexico because they only equate it with ports of call when cruising.

Last edited:

alphac2005

This post by @alphac2005 is likely in my top 10 of all posts I have ever read here (that haven't been penned by me, naturally!) If you can't read the whole thing, then read the bolded underlined part. That so nails the situation between consumers -- in this case Disney fans -- and Da Man -- in this case, The Walt Disney Company.
The truth is often ugly, but you can either accept it and attempt change or you can pretend that all is well
Thanks. I don't post all that often, so I ought to make it worthwhile when I do. :)

alphac2005

The UK has the strongest GDP growth in all of Europe (not going to jump into the inequality issues that plague the country akin to the States) and having shunned the Euro, the pound still basically has a 30% premium over the dollar. Their purchasing power remains strong in the U.S.

Donald Razorduck

I Love it, it's not some gimmick B&M, it's a straight forward, basic out and back steel coaster with airtime hills and speed all without touting some silly 20 million plus price tag like the wing riders and dive machines.

ParentsOf4

So, Disney added a 'no expiration' option. No longer would those 10-day tix that @ParentsOf4 smartly purchased be good forever. Unless you paid a bit of extortion for that 'option' ... and people accepted that.
I checked. My family 'only' has 22 theme park days and 28 water park days left on our no-expiration tickets.

With so little being added at WDW lately, that should be enough to last us through the opening of Star Wars Land. :)

In 5 years. :(

Shaman

Well Lee, not sure if its bad news or good news.

but Anthem of the Seas supposedly was upgraded a week ago with the QUANTUM class technology and improved offerings/rooms.

I think you mean Allure. I thought it got the same updates the Oasis got when it went into dry dock. Regardless best ships EVER. It would be nice if RCCL rolled out their bands to the other ship classes. Oh and I recently tried out the WiFi on the Oasis....awesomeness (and cheap $10 a day).

Shaman

American are so sheltered, most have no clue of the carnage that's taking place in places next door like Mexico because they only equate it with ports of call when cruising.

You don't have to go that far. There's lots of violence happening in American streets. Most of which never gets covered locally...forget nationally.

I think war between the powers is unlikely in this highly globalized world. It all comes down to money and corporate interests. And I would think that other than for the Military Industrial Complex, war is usually unprofitable. But I guess something could break out if China or Russia hit an American ally...or countries start fighting over natural resources.

Now everyone together: It's a smaaall world after all. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom