A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentJedi

Please dont tell your friend that while I think he has fantastic ideas, he cant bring them to a fulfilling climax. I needed more of what Tomorrowland was as opposed to "We have to go back"....
Or at least explain more what happened to Tomorrowland. Roadtrip could have been trimmed some.

Actually reminded of some of the criticisms of Atlantis about the journey being more interesting then the destination (which for some reason combined with the deleted monster scenes makes some people assume Atlantis was gonna be multiple movies).

Except in Atlantis, you actually got a sense of the present state of things in the city and more of a glimpse into life in the city. Tomorrowland needed to show us a little more on what Nix had done besides using the "Triskelon and Perisphere of Doom" to make people lose faith.

Funmeister

Aladdin's Breakfast Adventure was held in the Soundstage Restaurant (only $12.95 for adults here).

But they were touting actual TV production, both the Mickey Mouse Club and a Dolly Paon show called 'Heavens to Betsey' that @Lee likely watched religiously, were produced that month and they offered a number to call for tix.

Aladdin's Breakfast Adventure was held in the Soundstage Restaurant (only $12.95 for adults here).

Was one of the best (if not the best) on property at the time. Those cheese blintzes with vanilla sauce where pretty incredible.

But they were touting actual TV production, both the Mickey Mouse Club and a Dolly Paon show called 'Heavens to Betsey' that @Lee likely watched religiously, were produced that month and they offered a number to call for tix.

Unfortunately, Dolly and her show never saw the light of day. I am sure @Lee could find a bootleg somewhere? lol

Shaman

Told someone about the price differences between now and then. Guess what their answer was?

"You're not becoming one of those old people that complains that burgers used to be 10 cents are you? Things increase in price." :facepalm:

My biggest issue is not the price, but the value. This is where consumers have to flex their muscle and refuse to pay increases for a lesser experience.

I don't mind paying for things, as long as I feel they're worth the cost. Price increases are inevitable, but people have to ask: what am I getting in return? Disney banks on the nostalgia, but eventually people will seek different much cheaper experiences.

I'm not a basher, more of an ambivalent pixie duster, and I just feel (like many obviously) that Disney should be investing much more resort-wide. Which isn't to say that they haven't or aren't (FLE, Disney Springs, Magic Bands, Avatarland), but they shouldn't wait until the next economic downturn to build up the Studios Park or figure out what to do with Future World in Epcot. Investments for long term gains are prudent. Stuff like Magic Bands, FP+, Disney Springs will probably yield lots of profits down the road. But will people still be interested in Epcot or The Studios then? It's a balancing act, running a business is hard.

The fans will probably always show up, but eventually the "magic" may be out of reach for most. And that nostalgia? Well if families stop coming, what connection will the younger generations have to the parks? What effect does that have on the brand?

We all look around and see the problem areas. Then, we argue about the extent and the causes. But attractions close, paint fades, trees go missing, admissions prices rise and most of us...still pay the Mouse. Maybe we don't stay at a Disney resort, or dont buy souvenirs, or eat before/after the parks, and maybe we don't visit as often...but we still walk through those gates.

We are enablers. And I type this as I get ready to renew my AP, which costs more than it did last year, nevermind way back when I first became a passholder. Honestly not sure how much longer I'll keep renewing...there are some things coming that I'm looking forward to, so at least another year or two...or three or....

Sorry for the long post.

Jwhee

Pixie dust snorters be like...

biting.jpg

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Spirited Tomorrowland Musings:

Well, first thing is it is so nice to see a Disney film that is original and not part of a franchise. I know it isn't doing great at the box office, which isn't a surprise considering Disney doesn't have a clue how to market its films (all you have to do is look at Frozen to see that), but it gets points just for that.

I liked it. Liked it a lot. But it was flawed. The worst thing is the film truly had the possibility at greatness and it blew that. It rushed a conclusion that was too neat and left too many unanswered questions. It would have been nice to actually have seen some time spent in Tomorrowland when it was at its peak. At the end, it sorta devolved into sappy propaganda.

I love Damon Lindelof. I know him personally, which used to bother some angry disneydude on the Twitter. He is nice and genuine and genuinely talented. But while he can create great characters and complex narratives, he seems to often struggle at bringing them to a proper ending (even my beloved Lost showed this). Of course, he did have Brad Bird at his side. They went the easy route.

If you go to see it just looking for a fun and different type of film, then you'll walk away reasonably happy or more. But if you're looking for something much deeper, well, they had the chance and fumbled it. The end almost reminded me of the classic Coke commercial that just ended Mad Men (sorry, it's been out long enough ... spoilers are your problem!)

I know some fanbois are whining about the scenes that involved Walt and the CoP being removed, but that was likely a smart call. I don't see how that would have added to the story being told. But more backstory on Tomorrowland itself was needed. Another 10-20 minutes would have helped a lot.

Still, I'll take this type of film over an Avengers any day. A fun movie that actually let's you engage your mind at the same time as you're smiling is a rare thing.

Three Spirited Stars out of four.

I'm really hoping we'll see an extended director's cut on Blu-Ray. I really enjoyed the movie, despite its flaws and muddy storyline.

space42

What is the over/under on Volcano Bay opening before Avatar?

Looks like it actually may open before Avatar... wow, reading this just shows how aggressive they are!

"
We’ve already broken ground on Volcano Bay, just south of Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort. Construction will move quickly, and the park will open in 2017.

Volcano Bay shows how Universal Orlando is continuing to evolve at an unprecedented rate that will not slow anytime soon. Since 2010, we’ve launched more than 18 remarkable experiences across the destination – from new attractions and theme park lands to new on-site hotels and restaurants. Our team will continue delivering new guest experiences that push the limits of theme park entertainment.

More details on Volcano Bay will be announced at a later date. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook or via email for the latest news."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom