A Spirited Perfect Ten

Quinnmac000

Can we move past this China War that would never happen as China is reliant on the US just as much as the US is on China? It won't happen. China wouldn't destroy their current livelihood, try to push the limits yes but war no.

Donald Razorduck

Unfortunately it's no longer at the 'posturing' stage now we have Japan and China exchanging crew served weapons fire think .50 cal machine guns. Technically an act of war but theater commanders on both sides have managed to keep it at that level.

The problem comes when someone is having a bad day and uses a heavy weapon which inflicts serious damage and casualties and the side which suffered an attack responds in kind, That's when it can spiral into a full scale war before anyone has a chance to stop it.

Japan has a ship waiting for F-35s to basically become an air carrier and are tweaking post WW2 polices. Basically, no more "We're just a Defense Force" posturing. Heck, you got Vietnam doing naval exercises with us and offering to open up their ports to non combat USN ships. This has been brewing for five years now but most Americans are oblivious to it. I'd hate to be any company that's put so much into China like Disney or manufacturers that put all their eggs in that basket.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Can we move past this China War that would never happen as China is reliant on the US just as much as the US is on China? It won't happen. China wouldn't destroy their current livelihood, try to push the limits yes but war no.

Hate to break it to you but the Chinese papers are already talking about war with the US if we do not exit the south china sea entirely.

China sees the US as weak and a war would enhance China's status in the world as we are seen as cowardly and apt to cut and run at which point China could annex Taiwan and Japan.

The Chinese Government does not care about trade, It cares about POWER, The Chinese PEOPLE on the other hand DO care about trade but they have no influence over the government.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Japan has a ship waiting for F-35s to basically become an air carrier and are tweaking post WW2 polices. Basically, no more "We're just a Defense Force" posturing. Heck, you got Vietnam doing naval exercises with us and offering to open up their ports to non combat USN ships. This has been brewing for five years now but most Americans are oblivious to it. I'd hate to be any company that's put so much into China like Disney or manufacturers that put all their eggs in that basket.

Bizzare to see Cam Ranh Bay once again hosting US Navy ships. As you say this has been brewing for a long time but as long as most americans can watch The Bachelor, Sports, Survivor and American Idol they are happy and think the world is a fun safe place.

It's going to be a real revelation once the chinese exports stop arriving about how shoes and clothing and electronics disappear from the shelves.

PhotoDave219

Wouldn't say never.... It's interesting if you read this morning's WaPo.
Hate to break it to you but the Chinese papers are already talking about war with the US if we do not exit the south china sea entirely.

China sees the US as weak and a war would enhance China's status in the world as we are seen as cowardly and apt to cut and run at which point China could annex Taiwan and Japan.

The Chinese Government does not care about trade, It cares about POWER, The Chinese PEOPLE on the other hand DO care about trade but they have no influence over the government.

I wouldn't go that far.

Read today's WaPo... http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...5fff14-3fb1-4056-aed0-264ffcbbcdb4_story.html

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wouldn't say never.... It's interesting if you read this morning's WaPo.

I wouldn't go that far.

Read today's WaPo... http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...5fff14-3fb1-4056-aed0-264ffcbbcdb4_story.html

That island is slated to become a giant military base to deny other nations access to the South China Sea, It will also put Vietnam et al within Chinese 'territorial waters' Much as the Straits of Hormuz give the Iranians the ability to block access to the Persian Gulf.

PhotoDave219

That island is slated to become a giant military base to deny other nations access to the South China Sea, It will also put Vietnam et al within Chinese 'territorial waters' Much as the Straits of Hormuz give the Iranians the ability to block access to the Persian Gulf.

Yes. It very could be. Means we're going to have to play nice because after 14 years of War, I'm not sure the American people have it in them to support yet another war.

Anyways yes these issues will have an impact on the Shanghai project if bullets start flying.

Alas, I don't think it will go that far. This is China asserting itself on the International Stage as a Superpower. It will be another Cold War.

the.dreamfinder

You know what wouldn't enhance China's POWER? A recession.

PhotoDave219

Bizzare to see Cam Ranh Bay once again hosting US Navy ships. As you say this has been brewing for a long time but as long as most americans can watch The Bachelor, Sports, Survivor and American Idol they are happy and think the world is a fun safe place.

It's going to be a real revelation once the chinese exports stop arriving about how shoes and clothing and electronics disappear from the shelves.

You're not suggesting that the only reason China has a manufacturing middle class is because Wall Street sent those jobs over there from America for the sake of profits, are you?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes. It very could be. Means we're going to have to play nice because after 14 years of War, I'm not sure the American people have it in them to support yet another war.

Anyways yes these issues will have an impact on the Shanghai project if bullets start flying.

Alas, I don't think it will go that far. This is China asserting itself on the International Stage as a Superpower. It will be another Cold War.

Hope you are correct but my Chinese friends don't think so as China has territorial ambitions which the USSR never had

The Chinese also covet Siberia as well as the nations in the South China Sea which China considers 'Rogue Provinces' Just like Putins Russia considers most of Ukraine 'Historically Russian' or Novo Russia.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You're not suggesting that the only reason China has a manufacturing middle class is because Wall Street sent those jobs over there from America for the sake of profits, are you?

Yes I am, Modern China is very much a creation of Wall St, China is a country filled with wonderful, intelligent hardworking people. However it has a government which is little changed from Mao's day and most of the current CCP's energy is bent on dominating the world.

The CCP likes the manufacturing of course because it helps with internal stability but those jobs just cover a narrow band around the coast. The Rural Chinese have not seen any benefit from the manufacturing.

There are immense societal pressures building which the CCP will not be able to control and a war will unite the country.

PhotoDave219

Hope you are correct but my Chinese friends don't think so as China has territorial ambitions which the USSR never had

The Chinese also covet Siberia as well as the nations in the South China Sea which China considers 'Rogue Provinces' Just like Putins Russia considers most of Ukraine 'Historically Russian' or Novo Russia.

You wouldn't think that 15 years of serious political infighting would signify to the world that America is a weak power, not to be taken seriously, are you?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a quick note before I try and find some real ice cream (here in my very affluent community we have 4-5 froyo locations, but haven't been able to sustain one REAL ice cream shop, as one of my favorites fanbois knows well, for more than a few years), but can we stop the USA and China going to war talk?

Seriously, it ain't happening. The only wars we'll get involved in would be our continued mistakes in the Middle East that give rise to groups like ISIS.

China and the USA are such enablers or co-dependents that each must now have a relatively good relationship with the other. And, all the BS posturing (the equivalent of a group of fanbois pulling them down and whipping out ... and a ruler too!) means nothing of note.

Much like the West just let Vlad Putin walk into Ukraine and take what he wanted (and blow a 777 passenger jet out of the skies along the way), we aren't looking for conflict with the few nations with truly the power to harm us. And they aren't looking for trouble with us.

I'd be much more concerned that some crazy American-born hopeless terrorist convert gets their hands on a small nuke and ... well, this really isn't the place for that, so let's move on.

I will offer my Tomorrowland review as well as some more China details later tonight if I don't have to wade thru 18 pages of war talk.

Before I go, though, I want to borrow what I feel is an amazing post from the thread on the dynamic ticket pricing that Disney is considering. I need to go find it ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
This post by @alphac2005 is likely in my top 10 of all posts I have ever read here (that haven't been penned by me, naturally!) If you can't read the whole thing, then read the bolded underlined part. That so nails the situation between consumers -- in this case Disney fans -- and Da Man -- in this case, The Walt Disney Company.
The truth is often ugly, but you can either accept it and attempt change or you can pretend that all is well

We know that there are many reasons for their increased business, but most notably, it looks like it stems from their approach to marketing. Disney has decided to make a WDW vacation a necessity for a family at intervals of every five, ten years, etc. As we were discussing before in the thread, they have thrown out the long held business model of focusing on die-hards, APs, locals, etc.

I've read the this versus that argument ad nauseam on here for years. In many major cities with Broadway style and quality theaters, it doesn't cost close to $100. Sporting events on paper have increased prices, but have so many different deals and discounts that I can actually get tickets to an NBA game or MLB game cheaper than I have been able to in years.

It should be noted that for many people, these events are a once a year event, if that. MK at $105 a day, is just one day and most families are visiting for many days. Yes, you will begin to have multiday discounts, but we know the pricing is still high.

Not going the rabbit hole, but look around the country, most theme parks are $50-60 a day at sticker price and many have greater discounts. I can pay $43 to buy a ticket online for Knott's Berry Farm and have a great time there. Personally, what made Disney "worth" the money no longer exists. If WDW had the quality of yesteryear, it might be awfully expensive, but it would have the quality to at least justify a premium.

That's where the issue lies now and has to be distinguished: You now pay a premium for corporate profiteering not because of a superior product. Disney epitomizes where things have flipped in this country. You know pay an inflated price for a privilege to do something, see something, etc., but get a lesser quality. My friends in Europe pay $20 a month for their mobile service while I pay $90 for the same line with lesser service because of grotesque margins to keep a small cabal of investors happy in this country. That's the sign of a major problem.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just a quick note before I try and find some real ice cream (here in my very affluent community we have 4-5 froyo locations, but haven't been able to sustain one REAL ice cream shop, as one of my favorites fanbois knows well, for more than a few years), but can we stop the USA and China going to war talk?

Seriously, it ain't happening. The only wars we'll get involved in would be our continued mistakes in the Middle East that give rise to groups like ISIS.

China and the USA are such enablers or co-dependents that each must now have a relatively good relationship with the other. And, all the BS posturing (the equivalent of a group of fanbois pulling them down and whipping out ... and a ruler too!) means nothing of note.

Much like the West just let Vlad Putin walk into Ukraine and take what he wanted (and blow a 777 passenger jet out of the skies along the way), we aren't looking for conflict with the few nations with truly the power to harm us. And they aren't looking for trouble with us.

I'd be much more concerned that some crazy American-born hopeless terrorist convert gets their hands on a small nuke and ... well, this really isn't the place for that, so let's move on.

I will offer my Tomorrowland review as well as some more China details later tonight if I don't have to wade thru 18 pages of war talk.

Before I go, though, I want to borrow what I feel is an amazing post from the thread on the dynamic ticket pricing that Disney is considering. I need to go find it ...

It must be this one....

I like this plan. Thanks. Hope it happens.

BrerJon

Nice try on saying IT is easy work, Try debugging wireless in a steel mill sometime in a protective suit next to the ladles and furnaces and doing that for 2 days straight because some critical system in the plant is not working correctly.

But try doing that at least once a week, 20 hours straight with not much more than a pre-determined 30 minute break to try to rush down some food (a break which could come at any time in the day), while having to maintain a good appearance and be polite to everyone. And you're not allowed to sit down. Oh, and you can be fired without cause at any time for any reason, and regularly see colleagues being fired, instead of it just being a technical possibility, so you never know when you'll be next.

And most of all, I bet the IT workers you're comparing to CPs aren't on minimum wage.

Are there tougher jobs than being an MK CP? Sure, but that doesn't mean anyone should endorse the working conditions Disney has developed over the last couple of decades, which is pretty much identical to the Foxconn factory slaves the US media is so quick to criticise in China.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom