A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrerJon

Umm, instead of coming here for anything, why not just go on your trip to WDW and Universal and just enjoy yourself? Or are you going to take a pen and paper onto every ride so you can jot down everything that is wrong while you are there, instead of just actually, maybe, just enjoying it all? And none of this is sarcasm.

Yes, I will be documenting everything.

Seriously though, these threads are good for making the most of trips, especially when you only have limited time, or have done the parks so many hundreds of times you don't bother visiting every land every trip. For instance I might not have gone to Jurassic Park had it not been for this thread mentioning the raptor, which I didn't know about before, and I certainly wouldn't have gone to Harambe, but will now to check out the theming of the new QSR.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yes, I will be documenting everything.

Seriously though, these threads are good for making the most of trips, especially when you only have limited time, or have done the parks so many hundreds of times you don't bother visiting every land every trip. For instance I might not have gone to Jurassic Park had it not been for this thread mentioning the raptor, which I didn't know about before, and I certainly wouldn't have gone to Harambe, but will now to check out the theming.
OK, excellent points. You have been here awhile. Some new people just starting their WDWMagic journey would think that WDW is a total cesspool, and that they absolutely would not be able to have a good time, no matter what. Nowhere near the truth, but that is how some of these threads come off. Hope you have a great trip! :)

Jeffxz

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but it falls in line with some of the censorship discussion that has been going on here lately:

Disney and Univision supplied Fusion with an additional $30 million in financing recently, according to a person involved with the deal who spoke on the condition of anonymity. But the cultures of the companies and Fusion have already clashed. For instance, according to two senior Fusion staff members, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, Disney put the organization on notice that it would not take kindly to coverage that might dent its standing with consumers. The warning came after Fusion published several stories based on documents that hackers stole from Sony.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/25/business/media/fusion-media-aims-at-millennials-but-struggles-to-find-its-identity.html?_r=0

Bairstow

Yes, far be it that anyone would want to employ the common courtesy of a simple gesture like using the Spoiler Tag. Kids these days.

It's an internet forum.
Trying to avoid spoilers (especially when one defines spoilers as speculation based on official materials) on an internet forum is like trying to avoid profanity at a biker bar.
The prevalence of the thing to be avoided raises the question of why one expected to succeed in the first place.

BernardandBianca

Do you consider movie trailers spoilers? Clips shown when the stars do talk shows?
Yes, I do. Yes, I do. And I avoid these to the greatest extent possible if I'm interested.

Where does it end? Is everyone else supposed to walk on eggshells and not talk about publicly disclosed information?

You can say whatever you want. It just takes a minimum of effort to warn that a spoiler is coming.

The burden then falls on YOU to avoid the spoilers. It's not everyone else's responsibility, especially when you're avoiding trailers and TV pieces.

Yes, it is the individuals responsibility to avoid spoilers, but common courtesy suggests that fair warning be provided. BTW, I hate that trailers and talk shows occasionally show the entire significant portions of movies, though generally when I see those it's for movies I will not be going to.

But shouldn't the same basic manners apply to theme park attractions? Yet detailed information about these attractions is released weeks, months or even years before they are open to the public. It seems very much like a double standard to me. A recent example is the resurrection of the Hatbox Ghost at DL. Videos were released prior to its appearance in the HM and ride videos of the Hatbox Ghost appeared on the net within hours of the day he first materialized.

Sure. Nothing forces me to view the videos of the Hatbox Ghost if I don't want to. Or to read the detailed information about the attractions. My choice. But it is a choice, not something I want rammed down my throat.

Goofyernmost

Question... If you don't know anything about the plot, the story, the characters how do you know that you might be interested in seeing it. Is it a blind loyalty to a particular brand? Not being nasty, I just don't comprehend spending that much money to see something I'm not even sure that I'm interested in, because I don't know anything about it. Giving away the ending, OK, that is just wrong, but, talking about what the story is about, how can that be anything but a plus.

PhotoDave219

But shouldn't the same basic manners apply to theme park attractions? Yet detailed information about these attractions is released weeks, months or even years before they are open to the public. It seems very much like a double standard to me. A recent example is the resurrection of the Hatbox Ghost at DL. Videos were released prior to its appearance in the HM and ride videos of the Hatbox Ghost appeared on the net within hours of the day he first materialized.

I agree to a point.

However these forums are dedicated to a theme park, not the movies. That being said, I do try to avoid spoilers of theme park stuff until I ride it.

That being said, posting stuff about a movie that just came out or hasn't come out is clearly, without a doubt, a spoiler.

PhotoDave219

It's an internet forum.
Trying to avoid spoilers (especially when one defines spoilers as speculation based on official materials) on an internet forum is like trying to avoid profanity at a biker bar.
The prevalence of the thing to be avoided raises the question of why one expected to succeed in the first place.

Well using the spoiler tag is
Is just common courtesy these days.

Bairstow

Well using the spoiler tag is
Is just common courtesy these days.

...and if we could agree on what does and does not constitute a spoiler... the tag would still be an imperfect solution because it's too much of a hassle.
Better to just put the "spoiler" tag on the whole website so that those who are liable to go on offended tirades can browse elsewhere.

PhotoDave219

...and if we could agree on what does and does not constitute a spoiler... the tag would still be an imperfect solution because it's too much of a hassle.
Better to just put the "spoiler" tag on the whole website so that those who are liable to go on offended tirades can browse elsewhere.

I'd say you're over reacting.

If you have to ask yourself "Is this a Spoiler?" Then the answer is yes.

If you think the spoiler tag is "too much of a hassle?" Then maybe you don't belong on here.

Phil12

Yes, I do. Yes, I do. And I avoid these to the greatest extent possible if I'm interested.

You can say whatever you want. It just takes a minimum of effort to warn that a spoiler is coming.

Yes, it is the individuals responsibility to avoid spoilers, but common courtesy suggests that fair warning be provided. BTW, I hate that trailers and talk shows occasionally show the entire significant portions of movies, though generally when I see those it's for movies I will not be going to.

Sure. Nothing forces me to view the videos of the Hatbox Ghost if I don't want to. Or to read the detailed information about the attractions. My choice. But it is a choice, not something I want rammed down my throat.
It's your responsibility to sequester yourself. It's not my responsibility to hide information. I've seen many arbitrary suggestions as to when it's ok to reveal plot points. For example, I haven't seen the last season of Walking Dead yet. Should I demand that no information be released about that show until such time as I've seen it? Should I wait a full day after a movie is released before discussing plot? A week? Two weeks? A month?

As for preemptive warnings, again that's the responsibility of the reader, not the writer. If the subject of the new Star Wars movie comes up, you should stop reading it if you don't want plot points revealed. For example, "Luke, I am your father" doesn't just pop up without some sort of preface to put it in context. As another example, do I have to tell you not to click on this link:

Also, I'm sure there are many children that have never seen Citizen Kane. Is it wrong for me to reveal that Rosebud is the sled?

Mike S

It's your responsibility to sequester yourself. It's not my responsibility to hide information. I've seen many arbitrary suggestions as to when it's ok to reveal plot points. For example, I haven't seen the last season of Walking Dead yet. Should I demand that no information be released about that show until such time as I've seen it? Should I wait a full day after a movie is released before discussing plot? A week? Two weeks? A month?

As for preemptive warnings, again that's the responsibility of the reader, not the writer. If the subject of the new Star Wars movie comes up, you should stop reading it if you don't want plot points revealed. For example, "Luke, I am your father" doesn't just pop up without some sort of preface to put it in context. As another example, do I have to tell you not to click on this link:

Also, I'm sure there are many children that have never seen Citizen Kane. Is it wrong for me to reveal that Rosebud is the sled?

If you didn't want something spoiled I would definitely have the courtesy to use the spoiler tag. All you have to do is ask. Just like I did here.
Having just seen the movie, there's a line from it that you just reminded me of. I'll put it in the spoiler tag just in case.
What you saw was an advertisement for a place that doesn't exist.
It's not rocket science.

Phil12

If you didn't want something spoiled I would definitely have the courtesy to use the spoiler tag. All you have to do is ask. Just like I did here.

It's not rocket science.
How about if I don't want to know about the Nintendo characters and attractions coming to Universal?

PhotoDave219

No Phil, as the moderators have pointed out to me countless times, it's your own Personal responsibility not to be an a-hole on these forums. (Countless times....)

This Particular thread seems to be a catch-all for business news. One doesn't expect to find movie discussion In this particular thread, because it's not labeled as such. I'm not going to click on a thread discussing Ep7 because I don't want to know.

I would expect that if someone is going to discuss a movie that just came out, inside a thread that isn't about aforementioned film, that they tag it with the spoiler tag.

It's just common courtesy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom