A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Saw the redone Poly and Hub on a recent trip a few weeks ago. I don't hate the lobby but it's nowhere close to that great waterfall that was there when I ate at Ohana last year. Same with the hub, I wasn't really sure what to make of it. Speaking of Universal, what are your thoughts on their latest acquisition for the parks? My avatar and signature should tell you enough about how I feel about it :)
if they have a starfox simulator.. I'm sold.

I meet Miyamoto when he came to Mexico City once.. I was a kid (when I as still ill) and played in a starfox shaped SNES boot :D

That's... Well i'll just say that I wasn't aware of this person's full history beyond this site, nor what they looked like. When reading his posts on this site as CountryBearFan, I had pictured in my head that this was a relatively young teen or even child posting these things, the types of posts didn't seem like anything an adult or even an older teen (such as 16 or above) would write. So I find it even more disturbing to see someone that old behaving in such a manner. I'm entirely serious when I say I suspect there's actually some legitimate and possibly quite serious mental illness involved with this individual.

And by that I mean far beyond the rather baffling but not generally uncommon level of immaturity often a trait of Disney lifestylers who shill for the company. The rather bizarre behavior and questionable mental stability of a some Disney guests isn't a new topic of discussion in these Spirited threads. But this individual seems to be on a level vastly beyond anything like that to where it's actually quite worrisome...

I suppose your experience online is not very long?
I honestly found the most enraged individuals.. are in the "neck beard" group.
aka those who still live in basements past their 40's.

To piggyback, in this particular case it would probably be best to just move on to another topic. The rancor of this thread at social media in general and individuals specifically would be wise to not "poke the bear" as it were.

agree, these type of persons would go into a rage induced vendetta.
Including trying to DDOS the site they dont know. Flood it with zombie accounts and even send viruses to the people in the forum.

Cesar R M

Andy Castro added a MiceChat update blurb regarding last Friday's snafus to the end of his most recent Dateline Disneyland.

http://micechat.com/103083-disneyland-diamond-celebration-2/
Thursday by Midnight there were already 3,000 people camping out in the shuttle loading area, where previous 24 Hour events only had a few hundred overnight campers.

Friday by 5:00am there were over 10,000 people waiting to be let in, where previous events only had a couple thousand waiting by park opening. Parking was seeing heavy arrivals before 6:00am. The plan was to pull in the expected few thousand waiting and give them free ear hats for the sunrise publicity shot at park opening. The opening ceremony went off without a hitch, but there were thousands more than expected and they filled in a very full Town Square and spilled out into the Esplanade. That was the first clue that this event was going to be much more popular than the last three 24 hour events.

By 6:30am there was already 16,000 people inside Disneyland, with 4,000 inside DCA. The early morning arrivals continued to be very heavy through Noon. The executive committee began to wonder if they’d underestimated the demand for the event by mid morning.

By 11:00am there were over 43,000 people inside Disneyland, which is the type of number you’d see on a crazy day during the week of Christmas. An additional 15,000 were in DCA, which is like an average weekday afternoon. Parking began to run out of inventory by early afternoon, and at 2:00pm there was 52,000 people inside Disneyland. That’s more than are allowed in on New Years Eve, but the decision was made to push the limit because thousands were already waiting along the parade route so the rest of the park wasn’t as busy as the in-park attendance might indicate. Disneyland’s attractions continued to have waits like an average busy holiday weekend, with longer lines at Matterhorn and Haunted Mansion.

At 2:00 the executive steering committee who had been monitoring the numbers and crowds all morning became very concerned that the event was getting out of control as people continued to pour into the Resort. The first phased closure of the Disneyland turnstiles began, jumping past the first two phases and starting with Phase 3, which suspended ticket sales and only allowed those with handstamps back into Disneyland.

In the afternoon Disneyland continued to fill with people who already had handstamps from earlier in the morning, and as word spread that the ticket booths were shutting down those inside Disneyland began to camp out. DCA was becoming busier with 24,000 in the park by 5:00pm

At 5:00 there was now 57,000 people inside Disneyland, which was the highest number anyone has ever seen in at least 20 years. Since so many people were waiting on the over-full parade route, the majority of the park felt very busy but not quite out of control. But Disneyland was in uncharted attendance territory and the executive committee was beginning to panic. For the first time ever, Disneyland triggered a Phase 4 closure of the turnstiles at 5:30, which means absolutely no one is allowed in, not even Club 33 guests, Premiere AP’s, or company executives with Gold passes. Of course, it took some time for that information to make its way to the front lines.

This is about the time that communication between departments began to break down. The Resort’s executives were holed up in the Emergency Operations Center located backstage behind Main Street. The decision was made to attempt to clear out the Esplanade by shutting down all bag check tents. This was also the time that the after-work crowd began to arrive, and tens of thousands more people arrived, using the last few thousand of the Resort’s 19,000 parking spaces they had to use on Friday.

The rest of the evening is pretty well known at this point. Throughout the evening the executive committee was feverishly trying to craft a strategy to deal with the thousands still waiting to get into the Esplanade, plus the 30,000 people now inside DCA who were getting angry that they weren’t allowed to park hop over to Disneyland. By 8:00pm the executive strategy for the Esplanade crisis became “shelter in place”, and the decision was made to keep the Esplanade on lockdown and keep Disneyland at Level 4 until sometime after Midnight.

There is no plan in place to use the audio speakers in the Esplanade and shuttle area to communicate as a public address system. There was also very little information trickling down to the lower management ranks and the hourly CM’s staffing the turnstiles and bag screening tents. The executive committee approved the usually perky Disneyland Today Twitter feed to begin putting out blunt Tweets about Disneyland’s indefinite closure. In their minds, that was effective communication, but the reality is that the thousands waiting to get in weren’t being told anything by the frazzled CM’s staffing the park entrances, and not that many guests use Twitter to find out information about their park visits. There was local media present from the Orange County Register, but they were inside the park waiting for the parade and fireworks and completely missed the real story taking place outside the gates.

In a full panic by late evening, the executives kept Disneyland’s gates closed until two hours after the final Paint The Night parade scheduled for 1:00am, even as Disneyland emptied out and most attractions had extremely short waits. The executives cut off alcohol sales at DCA by 11:00pm and closed the Guest Services building in the Esplanade due to the volatile and angry mobs. The Santa Ana Freeway was backed up for five miles north of the Disneyland Drive off ramp for hours that evening. The surface streets around Disneyland were severely congested, and occasionally gridlocked, from 7:00pm until 2:00am. The Cast Member parking shuttles used to get the CM’s back to Angel Stadium, where over 10,000 CM’s were parked on Friday, couldn’t get to the Resort and departing CM’s waited in long lines of up to an hour for a shuttle back to Angel Stadium. Never has Disneyland seen this type of crowd, and the plans TDA crafted to host 120,000 visitors for the 24 Hour Party collapsed under the weight of an estimated 175,000 that got in or attempted to get into the parks that day.
Holy carp!!!
175,000? at same time?.. in both parks? thats insane! D:

Cesar R M

...and if we could agree on what does and does not constitute a spoiler... the tag would still be an imperfect solution because it's too much of a hassle.
Better to just put the "spoiler" tag on the whole website so that those who are liable to go on offended tirades can browse elsewhere.
hang on.. since when pressing a single button is "too much hassle" ?

How about if I don't want to know about the Nintendo characters and attractions coming to Universal?
they were announced everywhere.
and were still talking about movie/series spoilers, not theme parks.

Why its that hard to use an spoiler tag?

Trolls gonna troll.

that is considered trolling now?
wow, how low the internet went! lol

oXV1YxV.jpg

Phil12

No you established yourself as that months ago. If you're taking that personally? You should look in the mirror. Because of you seem to recall, we had differing opinions on the China thing until we found some common grounds and had a very polite and civil conversation.

However back to the topic at hand… That being common courtesy in the spoiler tag. Using the spoiler tag when discussing recently released and unreleased movies is simply common courtesy. It's not a question of whether you agree or if you don't. It's simple common courtesy.
No, it's your opinion. My opinion on the matter agrees with author Stephen King who said, “There are no spoilers!” King exclaimed. “You might as well say “I’m never gonna watch ‘Wizard of Oz’ again because I know how it comes out.’”

You sometimes get very emotional about certain subjects (such as this one) and rather than making your point, you resort to ad hominem attacks. I don't expect that we'll ever reach any agreement on this subject but you're not going to invalidate my opinion by calling me names. I respect your opinion even though we do not agree.

It has nothing to do with courtesy. As I said, it's incumbent upon the reader to avoid spoilers. Lots of behind the scenes information is given in this forum. As a matter of fact, I think Steve founded this forum for the express purpose of learning about and discussing such things.

I recall the days when "friend of Mickey" was a common term on some Disney forums so as not to ruin the magic. Are we back to those days again?

TP2000

Holy carp!!!
175,000? at same time?.. in both parks? thats insane! D:

No, that's the estimate for how many attempted to access the parks during the entire 24 hours. They had planned for 120,00 and got an estimated 175,000. That's what the Micechat account from a TDA suit alleges. (Monday morning damage control perhaps?)

The numbers in both parks at the same time appear to have peaked at 5PM on Friday afternoon, when there was 57,000 inside Disneyland and 24,000 inside DCA. 57 + 24 = 81,000 people inside the parks. But with ten thousand or more outside the gates waiting to get in, with the Santa Ana Freeway backing up for miles and the surface streets beginning to gridlock.

No wonder they panicked and shut down the Esplanade a half hour later.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

No, that's the estimate for how many attempted to access the parks during the entire 24 hours. They had planned for 120,00 and got an estimated 175,000. That's what the Micechat account from a TDA suit alleges. (Monday morning damage control perhaps?)

The numbers in both parks at the same time appear to have peaked at 5PM on Friday afternoon, when there was 57,000 inside Disneyland and 24,000 inside DCA. 57 + 24 = 81,000 people inside the parks. But with ten thousand or more outside the gates waiting to get in, with the Santa Ana Freeway backing up for miles and the surface streets beginning to gridlock. No wonder they panicked and shut down the Esplanade.

Apparently Disneyland planning for the worst case scenario was not quite "the worst case"....

TalkingHead

A few weeks ago, there was a Spirited thread about "what's new at WDW this summer?" Some people in that thread mentioned that Universal isn't opening anything new this summer. A few short weeks later and we have the new Raptor Encounter open at IOA.

That's such a perfect example of the difference between these two companies.

If WDW was opening something equivalent to the Raptor Encounter, it would have been announced months ago. The press release would be hyping it as an incredible interactive experience that brings guests face-to-face with one of the deadliest dinosaurs from the Jurassic Park franchise. The official blog would have numerous posts with pictures, videos, Imagineer interviews, trivia tidbits, and the like.

Universal hardly says anything about it, and certainly didn't make a big to-do about announcing the project. There's something to be said about keeping expectations in check, not that WDW operates by that philosophy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom