A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
So I've done too many Business assignments. I remember all the ones I did for Reuters, I was specifically told to always photograph the head corporate people and move those photos as well.

For this? The photo is Iger with those Dragons. Thats the storytelling, lead photo. Thats what you run. Thats what you want.

Lets take Disney out of the equation and a real world situation. Blackberry world, at the Marriott World Center a few years ago. One where the CEO announced the new Blackberry phone? Thats the photo. Him with Phone in hand, Blackberry logo on screen behind him. Sat at my editing position moving an earlier frame and just grabbed the camera next to me and hammered the shutter. Beat everyone on the wire, if i remember. Thats what ran because thats what the story is.

The story here is Disney in China. You don't want some underling as the lead photo because honestly, nobody gives a flying crap about who the underling is. (Sorry Paul Candland) They care about the CEO. (Memo to Celebration Place, thats your free lesson of the day). You want the biggest fish. Gives the biggest play and the biggest splash.

PRNewswire runs EVERYTHING. So much so its annoying. But they run anything. And them not moving a photo of Iger in Shanghai? Thats big. Something is rotten here. I'm thinking of $800 Million ways Iger is getting played.

A great post from someone who knows what he's talking about.

Nothing from any of the wires ... so odd. ... and you nailed what you'd have wanted from the store opening. Bob (or Bob and Tom) flanked by the dragons and maybe the mice.

WDW1974

Original Poster
None whatsoever. He's got great sources. He does an amazing job with what he does. We just don't care for one another.

I have no idea what it is that does. I think I became aware that he existed when playing Fun With Tweets about a year or two ago. ... The bigger issue if the CCP didn't want the footage released and denied Disney the right to do so, then Disney isn't going to be happy with Brad (because they aren't going to be able to explain that some blogger somehow got footage of theirs without their knowledge without really angering officials over there).

CNBC was forced to use still images from Getty when doing their puff piece earlier today (while superimposing graphics).

Brad ain't that important to Disney (even with his whoring for the BRAND). If they wouldn't give it to Bloomberg, AP or WSJ etc, then I don't see Disney letting him. Someone working for them thought otherwise is my guess.

FigmentJedi

So apparently they removed the entire Walt plot and all mentions of Disney from Tomorrowland? What's the movie even about then?
They just removed the explicit references to Walt and the park in the comic shop exposition sequence while the DIsney rides at the World's Fair stuff are obviously intact and indeed, the Disney stuff is key to the film's universe.

But apparently Lindelof thought one of the biggest hooks of the movie (that Walt was actually in on this big conspiracy) that's been one of the bigger thrusts of the marketing would result in too much meta-eyerolling and felt the exposition scene was running long. It's really dumb, but at least it's gonna be on the Blu-Ray.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm just a fan of accuracy and I always try to refrain from jumping to conclusions without good evidence. The emotional pitch you whip up among the minions mimics Gaston's inflammatory rhetoric to encourage the town folk to kill the beast. I'm in no rush to judgment. However, I also wonder about your ulterior motives as well.

I'm fan of accuracy as well. It just seems your version of accuracy involves Disney making an announcement or putting out a statement or press release, which is sorta absurd considering what we're talking about could be extremely damaging to the BRAND or simply the stock. If that's what you're looking for, you are not an idiot and you damn well know that it will not be forthcoming. ... And while I think Gaston gets a bit of a bad wrap, as who wouldn't want to kill a Beast and the dude also makes a fine pork shank, I think you suggesting that I'm looking for blood might be a bit much.

You say you're in no rush to judgement, but I don't even know what that means in this context. It also seems painfully obvious that you made up your mind (your judgement) about anything I raised involving Disney, Iger and China a very long time ago. If I said they had a Great Wall, then you'd argue the point. So, as you question my alleged ''ulterior motives'' (I've been very upfront about mine), I question yours and why you are even discussing this topic in this thread.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow, there is no way the blog team actually wrote that article. "Our leaders"... By the way, how do they plan on having that park done anytime soon? It looks like raw construction everywhere, no landscaping, no pavement and every building is unfinished.

It will open next spring (mark May 8th on your calendars) unless the Party decides that it won't.

That work that needs to be done could literally be finished within six months IF they were working on a true China schedule. They aren't. This project is taking an outrageously long period of build time, which (again) the financial and entertainment press don't seem to care about.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As I said, I was just responding to Spirit's post about why there were no photos of Iger at the new Disney Store in China. I googled, "Iger at Disney Store China" and that Business-Wire link was the first result. I copied the photo and posted it for the purpose of information. Sorry if the photo messed up the conspiracy theory.

To be fair (and I know you wish to be), I was asking to see Bob (and Tom) in ceremonies on site at Shanghai Disneyland and the Shanghai Disney Store.

Photos. Videos.

There are absolutely none.

The photo that is now out (thanks to out good pal, Brad -- who's think he's always right according to Dave!) shows Bob and an Asian CM at a Disney Store that literally could have been taken anywhere in the world at any time. I'm going to say it was taken in the last 72 hours in Shanghai. But that's not what I was looking for in the least, and that little photo was not supposed to be released.

And you still think nothing is strange. I think that's kinda strange myself.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Don't really have a dog in the fight, but I think he placed it out there because you kept asking for a photo of him at the store and ....... It's a photo of him at the store. Seems pretty basic.

Wow! You really think I'm that important?!! I'm starting to get a bulge! :D

Oh wait, you mean Phil ... there goes the bulge.

Seriously, if he was trying to be helpful, Stitch/Brad put the photo early this afternoon (while I was stuck in a third-world like hospital clinic) and Phil could have 'helped' us all by putting it out immediately. He waited until I came on, posted and he pounced. I'm very used to that behavior from him and others.

But, again, that picture means nothing, except to the Commies.

If they put the pic out that @PhotoDave219 suggested, then that would have meant something.

No one can give me an explanation for why they didn't. At least here they can't (I already know why).

PhotoDave219

A great post from someone who knows what he's talking about.

Nothing from any of the wires ... so odd. ... and you nailed what you'd have wanted from the store opening. Bob (or Bob and Tom) flanked by the dragons and maybe the mice.

The absence of publicity is abnormal for this situation. I don't know what to conclude from that.

This isn't what happened in Hong Kong. Nor Paris. The opening of a Disney Store in the middle of Communist China? That screams business headlines. You'd expect a horde of photos and a series of well-placed puff pieces in the usual places.

But a handful of subpar photos on two low-level PR Wires? A small brief from the AP? A slightly longer brief ran across AFP (Agence-France Presse). Best Photos seem to be from Reuters, although they are all from the store.

The International Business Times had the largest piece, along with the South China Morning Post, none mentioning Bob Iger beyond that one photo. Bloomberg had a piece that did quote Bob, but it was from May 5th. Bloomberg ACTUALLY RAN THE BOB PHOTO. Wall Street Journal ran a small piece, mostly about the castle topping off.

But none of it was a giant production number. None of it was the giant PR behemoth that I'd expect.

Now we're all Disney fans. We're all hardcore Disney fans. We look at the minutia. We look at the details and follow up on the footnotes and have for years. What's going on here is completely out of character for TWDC and it makes me wonder why.

PhotoDave219

Wow! You really think I'm that important?!! I'm starting to get a bulge! :D

Oh wait, you mean Phil ... there goes the bulge.

Seriously, if he was trying to be helpful, Stitch/Brad put the photo early this afternoon (while I was stuck in a third-world like hospital clinic) and Phil could have 'helped' us all by putting it out immediately. He waited until I came on, posted and he pounced. I'm very used to that behavior from him and others.

But, again, that picture means nothing, except to the Commies.

If they put the pic out that @PhotoDave219 suggested, then that would have meant something.

No one can give me an explanation for why they didn't. At least here they can't (I already know why).

I wouldn't read anything in with StitchKingdom. He pulled that off Businesswire.com, it seems. Or Bloomberg. That's the largest outlet I found that covered the opening as well as the only outlet that moved that photo other than the aforementioned wire.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am absolutely convinced that your analysis is expertly formed, and accurate - but I do think that both this trip and the Shanghai project in general are less about Disney Parks than about the Walt Disney Company in general.

Absolutely right. And I apologize for cutting your post, but the truth of it is all summed up in your first paragraph.

And that is precisely why EVERYthing that happens there, or doesn't, is so vitally important. This is the world's largest consumer market and Disney is barely a blip there. And every day it becomes more obvious that indeed the Disney CEO HAS Fumbled The Company's Entry to China.

Rupert, Sumner, Ted ... and, of course, Michael would never have allowed themselves to be treated the way Bob has allowed himself and his exec leadership core. He is weak. He is impotent. And he is to blame as he signed the deal. He'll get to be photographed in the park one day next spring. And his name will be on a plaque, alongside a Chinese official picked by the party ... and then he'll focus on Marvel or Lucas's next tent pole or greenlighting Frozen 3: Olaf Meets a Poodle And Turns Yellow. The mess will be left for the new guy and that guy won't be Tom Staggs (even if he looks like he's using the AndroGel).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Watched the Letterman finale. I'm sad now.

Me too.

It's a new era. And as someone who actually watched his daytime flop on NBC and became a regular watcher while in high school of Late Night, he'll be missed.

I know I should enjoy the likeable James Corden now on CBS, but I miss Craig Ferguson. I just don't dig the fake driving around LA with Justin Bieber in the car or the 'doing' 2-3-4 guests on the sofa at once (I know that sounds bad!)

Dave was this generation's Johnny Carson. He was comfortable and reassuring and wasn't wowed by celebrity (like a Jimmy Fallon is). Late night TV won't be the same.

I've heard rumblings about him getting an honorary Emmy. He certainly is deserving. Unlike another ex-Weatherman. I just can't believe Dave has been doing this since 1980. That's wild. I wish him and Regina and Harry a very happy and healthy life together.

I guess I go back to flipping between Jimmy's, but it's not the same at all. And I wonder what Colbert will bring to the table when he is himself and not a character.

PhotoDave219

I have no idea what it is that does. I think I became aware that he existed when playing Fun With Tweets about a year or two ago. ... The bigger issue if the CCP didn't want the footage released and denied Disney the right to do so, then Disney isn't going to be happy with Brad (because they aren't going to be able to explain that some blogger somehow got footage of theirs without their knowledge without really angering officials over there).

CNBC was forced to use still images from Getty when doing their puff piece earlier today (while superimposing graphics).

Brad ain't that important to Disney (even with his whoring for the BRAND). If they wouldn't give it to Bloomberg, AP or WSJ etc, then I don't see Disney letting him. Someone working for them thought otherwise is my guess.

Weird. Getty moved a crapton of images. Total of 85 from ChinaFotoPress, Getty and an AFP stringer.

Bob isn't in any of them. (If someone has time, look at the wide shots from the ceremony. I can't even find Bob or Tom or anyone from Disney corporate beyond Paul Candland in them. Its like playing Where's Waldo a bit)

MerlinTheGoat

The one question that still buzzes in my head- Where is Disney going to find a good CEO replacement if Staggs 100% has no chance of getting the job next? I'm assuming Rasulo isn't getting it either. Doesn't sound like the board has any faith in anyone at the company currently to actually run things. Granted that COULD be a good thing, but it depends on the reasoning behind this and what sort of person the board of directors wants to run the place (and whether they're willing to allow proper investment in quality again). If they just want another guy to cut quality to up short term profit, then it's kind of pointless.

Basically, are the board members finally ready to let go with the way Iger has run the company and admit that things need to change? Enough to give someone more talented a go after his term expires (assuming he isn't drafted back in again)? I'm just wondering if there's even a desire whatsoever in the ranks of the powers that be to change things for the better. Because if they're not, I don't see any reason to assume that Iger's replacement will be any better. Whether he comes from inside or outside the company. As horrible as Iger is, I still do think there could be even worse leaders.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

To be fair (and I know you wish to be), I was asking to see Bob (and Tom) in ceremonies on site at Shanghai Disneyland and the Shanghai Disney Store.

Photos. Videos.

There are absolutely none.

The photo that is now out (thanks to out good pal, Brad -- who's think he's always right according to Dave!) shows Bob and an Asian CM at a Disney Store that literally could have been taken anywhere in the world at any time. I'm going to say it was taken in the last 72 hours in Shanghai. But that's not what I was looking for in the least, and that little photo was not supposed to be released.

And you still think nothing is strange. I think that's kinda strange myself.

From what I can tell, looking at about 5 different wide shots of the ceremony..... I can't find Bob or Tom in the photos.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Weird. Getty moved a crapton of images. Total of 85 from ChinaFotoPress, Getty and an AFP stringer.

Bob isn't in any of them. (If someone has time, look at the wide shots from the ceremony. I can't even find Bob or Tom or anyone from Disney corporate beyond Paul Candland in them. Its like playing Where's Waldo a bit)

They weren't in them because they weren't there. It was a VERY exclusive guest list, about two dozen total. I've been to parties at Hollywood B-Listers homes and they have hundreds of people. ... In O-Town, Disney invited approximately 874 people (each with Guests) to the unveiling of a new cupcake just ask jennifer.j.fickley@disney.com or thomas.smith@disney.com (phone numbers available upon request)

As to Brad picking up the photo, it had to be gotten in a highly questionable fashion as Businesswire has carriage agreements with AP, Bloomberg, Dow Jones ... all of the majors. They would have grabbed that picture and ran with it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The one question that still buzzes in my head- Where is Disney going to find a good CEO choice if Staggs isn't getting the job? I'm assuming Rasulo isn't getting it either. Doesn't sound like they have any faith at all in anyone at the company currently to actually run things. Granted that could be a good thing, but it depends on the reasoning behind this and what sort of person the board of directors wants to run the place (and whether they're willing to allow proper investment in quality again).

Basically, are the board members finally ready to let go with the way Iger has run the company and admit that things need to change? Enough to give someone more talented a go after his term expires (assuming he isn't drafted back in again)? I'm just wondering if there's even a desire whatsoever in the ranks of the powers that be to change things for the better. Because if they're not, I don't see any reason to assume that Iger's replacement will be any better. Whether he comes from inside or outside the company. As horrible as Iger is, I still do think there could be even worse leaders.

The Board loves Bob and is blinded by him, $$$ and Wall Street and $$$. They aren't thinking that far ahead. And I am sure that some hope that Bob will say ''I'll stay another 18-24 months'' when he gets within a year of his leave date.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Unrelated to China.....

I have people who were at the DL preview tonight of WOC for the 60th. Mixed reviews.... Universal dislike for putting "Let it Go" in there.

I heard similar things when they ran the previews for the exec team a month ago. Apparently, marketing dictated story and the flow and choices are ... not the best.

Any O-Town-whores there yet?

PhotoDave219

They weren't in them because they weren't there. It was a VERY exclusive guest list, about two dozen total. I've been to parties at Hollywood B-Listers homes and they have hundreds of people. ... In O-Town, Disney invited approximately 874 people (each with Guests) to the unveiling of a new cupcake just ask jennifer.j.fickley@disney.com or thomas.smith@disney.com (phone numbers available upon request)

As to Brad picking up the photo, it had to be gotten in a highly questionable fashion as Businesswire has carriage agreements with AP, Bloomberg, Dow Jones ... all of the majors. They would have grabbed that picture and ran with it.

So you're suggesting or saying that neither Tom Staggs nor CEO Bob Iger were not invited to the ceremonial opening of The World's Largest Disney Store and the first in China?

Now that right there is a story. Because who has that kinda juice, to tell a CEO he cannot come to the opening of his own store?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom