A Spirited Perfect Ten

MerlinTheGoat

Bob: Hey, this is a pretty cool...Darth Vader thing.

CM: Actually, that's a Stormtrooper helmet.

Bob: You're fired.
Conversation continued (hope it's topical enough):

CM: You can't fire me, I don't even work for you, stupid American...

Bob: Wha...What? Who do you think owns this store? How dare you talk to me like that!

CM: Well since you seem to take orders from the Shendi Group and they're forbidding this picture from being posted officially, i'd say they own this place and I work for them.

Bob: But...i'm the CEO of The Walt Disney Company, how dare y-...

CM: If you want me fired, take it up with Shendi.

Bob: That's not....um.........nevermind.

Last edited:

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
THIS is what the Disney Parks Blog released on Shanghai, FYI: (no pics of Bob or Tom, because Disney wasn't allowed to do so ... no video of Bob or Tom, because Disney wasn't allowed to ... copy that wasn't simply read by Disney Legal before Bland Thomas Smith put his name on it, but using the language of the CCP in it ... ''our leaders'')

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...d-storybook-castle-at-shanghai-disney-resort/

Wow, there is no way the blog team actually wrote that article. "Our leaders"... By the way, how do they plan on having that park done anytime soon? It looks like raw construction everywhere, no landscaping, no pavement and every building is unfinished.

PhotoDave219

But this stuff hasn't really been used by its intended office, the western press.

I guess my biggest point being is that it does beg the question why Yellow Shoes wasn't there doing the photos and why Zenia and her PR machine wasn't pushing this heavy in the American Press today.

The photos are pretty basic, bland and generic. Its not xenophobic - China has many talented photojournalists. A lifestyler blogger with their iPhone can do better.

They barely pass muster for page three of the business section. There's nothing here that screams business front. A

Phil12

But this stuff hasn't really been used by its intended office, the western press.
As I said, I was just responding to Spirit's post about why there were no photos of Iger at the new Disney Store in China. I googled, "Iger at Disney Store China" and that Business-Wire link was the first result. I copied the photo and posted it for the purpose of information. Sorry if the photo messed up the conspiracy theory.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not much time here as my full attention will be on Dave Letterman's final show (now that the cable is back!), but so much needs to be said, so I'll start with a little common sense and then add some history and perspective.

Bob Iger is not only the CEO of The Walt Disney Company, he is the figurehead of western media (he is no Mickey Mouse). He's the head of the largest diversified entertainment and media company on the globe. He went to Shanghai specifically for a site tour of Shanghai Disneyland Resort and the opening of the flagship Disney Store. He took his No. 2, Tom Staggs, for the ride and for the press.

What have you seen?

What has been released?

Where is all the PR?

Did Zenia Mucha lose her media savvy and her balls at the same time?

There is no way Bob and Tom went to Shanghai to NOT be seen. I would hope no one here is ignorant enough to attempt to argue that point.

They were not.

The whole purpose of a trip like this is face time, pictures, video, Tweets, FB shares and lots and lots of old-fashioned glad-handing. Period. It's not up for debate, so don't waste your keystrokes. I'm right and I'm not willing to argue facts with people.

Again, look at the results and what conclusions can YOU draw?

Let's look at some history. Here's how Disney celebrated the topping off of Sleeping Beauty Castle on Lantau Island as reported on this very site ttp://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/castle-topping-off-ceremony.45020/

You had Jay Rasulo on stage in front of a large gathering of media members, government officials, VIPs and other invited guests. You had the characters (not two mice) ... you can read about it. Ultimately, what you had was a MAJOR PR campaign coordinated by/out of Burbank.

But let's head back to a better time, a cleaner time, a time with no social media, no iDevices, a time when news outlets really were and look at the topping off ceremony held in beet fields 30 miles east of Paris ... OK, what I have was one of several Imagineering videos produced for the event. You can find others (again, I don't have the time right now):

So, what's so different now? What's the issue here exactly? Why does it appear that Disney has no control over the opening of a store they own outright, let alone the topping off of a resort in which they own 43% and are supposed to have 70% of the control?

I start pulling what hair I have left out when I feel I have to spoonfeed (EDIT: Some) people every little explanation. Use some critical thinking. Although here you only need a wee bit of common sense.

That common sense will tell you that a major CEO doesn't go all the way to China for major landmark events in his company's history to stay hidden away.

You can attempt to explain it all away ... but that's all it will be ... an attempt ... because you're already in quicksand and sinking fast. Sorta like Bob and Tom today. Oops, pardon me, I mean our leaders.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Ah, Phil. The guy who is going to prove me wrong. Buddy, you're barking up a dead tree. After seeing your earlier smarmy comment (volley?) I fully expected you to be the first to chirp.

I just can't figure why that is. Why are you so interested? What's your horse? ... And why is it on my track?

That photo was taken before the store was open. It was a press and publicity shot that the CCP REFUSED to allow to be released with the PR, despite direct pleadings from Bob Iger himself.

Someone named Stitch Kingdom, a Lifestyler site with a very interesting just off Wall Street background, got a hold of it (along with B-roll that Disney produced and wasn't allowed to distribute) and placed it out. And you somehow fell right into the trap.

Even have the only other outlet to date to take it (from SK) and place it out.

Like I said, I do wonder what your motives are. But, please, keep it going because I want this talked about. And why did you feel the need to place that out there when both Bob and Tom were in Shanghai, yet noticeably absent from the opening?

Don't you find that to be a bit disingenuous, even by forum standard, Phil?

What are you supposed to be? An intelligent version of my PML stalker ... or just a mudder running around the track to try and make it seem like a real race?
lol dude, not need to get this paranoic or headstrong.

AEfx

Nicely explained. I understand your point exactly. The HFA thing is pretty stupid. It was at the time and it still is. However, I can say with a good deal of authority that the pharma companies aren't a big fan of HFA either. The profit and effectiveness of regular old generic albuterol as a rescue med is pretty much unmatched by HFA (it's fairly horrible for managing asthma in moderate to severe cases). One wrinkle in the whole thing that is overlooked in the whole "pharma looking for a buck" angle, most pharma companies own their own generic companies.

Thanks - and I'm sure like I said there is way more too it - just glad you understood I wasn't a kook blaming "the Man". :)

I won't risk the ire of folks and derail further, just wanted to mention though that hopefully the entire issue will be resolved, at least for some of us. There is a great new "experimental" (i.e. currently unapproved by insurance companies, but getting closer) laser surgery/treatment, that I know a few folks who have actually had, that basically "cures" asthma. You aren't supposed to say that, because technically there is no "cure", but it basically eliminates the symptoms and the need for medication, which is pretty much effectively the same thing. They burn the inside of the lungs with a laser to create a layer of scar tissue (the thing that we were supposed to be so scared was happening at one point) which then cannot become inflamed causing the symptoms of asthma. People are still advised to keep a "rescue" inhaler, but everyone I know that has had it done hasn't touched it since.

I'm planning on getting it done in the next year or two, even if insurance doesn't pay for it (it's about $18K right now), and I look forward to going to WDW (and everywhere else) without having to worry about crappy inhalers anymore. :)

NearTheEars

Ah, Phil. The guy who is going to prove me wrong. Buddy, you're barking up a dead tree. After seeing your earlier smarmy comment (volley?) I fully expected you to be the first to chirp.

I just can't figure why that is. Why are you so interested? What's your horse? ... And why is it on my track?

That photo was taken before the store was open. It was a press and publicity shot that the CCP REFUSED to allow to be released with the PR, despite direct pleadings from Bob Iger himself.

Someone named Stitch Kingdom, a Lifestyler site with a very interesting just off Wall Street background, got a hold of it (along with B-roll that Disney produced and wasn't allowed to distribute) and placed it out. And you somehow fell right into the trap.

Even have the only other outlet to date to take it (from SK) and place it out.

Like I said, I do wonder what your motives are. But, please, keep it going because I want this talked about. And why did you feel the need to place that out there when both Bob and Tom were in Shanghai, yet noticeably absent from the opening?

Don't you find that to be a bit disingenuous, even by forum standard, Phil?

What are you supposed to be? An intelligent version of my PML stalker ... or just a mudder running around the track to try and make it seem like a real race?

Don't really have a dog in the fight, but I think he placed it out there because you kept asking for a photo of him at the store and ....... It's a photo of him at the store. Seems pretty basic.

AEfx

Bob Iger is not only the CEO of The Walt Disney Company, he is the figurehead of western media (he is no Mickey Mouse). He's the head of the largest diversified entertainment and media company on the globe. He went to Shanghai specifically for a site tour of Shanghai Disneyland Resort and the opening of the flagship Disney Store. He took his No. 2, Tom Staggs, for the ride and for the press.

I am absolutely convinced that your analysis is expertly formed, and accurate - but I do think that both this trip and the Shanghai project in general are less about Disney Parks than about the Walt Disney Company in general.

Yes, they are in bed with the Chinese government with this park - I think that's precisely by design. This is the scratching of their back. The reciprocal scratch back to the WDC has to do with having a strong relationship with the Chinese government. Folks like you and @ParentsOf4 would know much more than I, but even if the best financial scenario happens and the park is successful, it's not really going to make a big dent in the overall Disney Parks profitability, will it (due to some of these deals)?

The battle of intellectual property in China has begun, and Disney wants in. This is what we would call a "foothold", but the Chinese likely see it more as an opening gift to show respect for the relationship the WDC wants to enter. We are courting them, for much larger prizes than a theme park or a retail store location.

Disney is the poster child for IP rights (there is a reason the last copyright extension bill was nicknamed the "Mickey Mouse Preservation Act"). The statistics are incredible - the value of IP assets is growing at a furious pace, and on this trajectory it will eclipse "traditional" assets (cash, property, minerals, etc.) before we know it. Already 1 in 4 people is employed in service to an IP of some form (which includes everything from the entertainment aspects we would discuss here, to industrial and technical IP, etc).

There is a really great recent book called "The Copyright Wars: Three Centuries of Trans-Atlantic Battle" by Peter Baldwin I think you'd find interesting. While it's largely about comparing and detailing the US and European copyright/IP systems, and how different they have been in the past versus how they are coming in line with each other today, there is also a really strong recurring theme of how China is going to fit into all this as they join the worldwide consumer marketplace.

Outside of the US and Europe, China is in line to be the next IP superpower as they start to open up to the world. What goes down there over the next decade or two when it comes to IP rights and what International systems they end up adopting is going to have a massive impact on profits for companies like Disney as we effectively add 1.3 billion new consumers to the global market.

It makes the difference between "small" things like if the Chinese government tolerates bootleg Blu-rays or if they heavily enforce DCMA-type laws, and goes all the way on up from there. If Disney's IP isn't sufficiently protected as this market explodes, they stand to irreparably lose billions as the Chinese consumer develops their habits in this new marketplace. Disney wants to be as big a part of that discussion as possible, particularly since it's a battle they are going to have worldwide over the next few decades as their copyrights start to expire.

TL;DR? I think the entire Shanghai project is much bigger for the WDC than just another theme park in the roster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom