A Spirited Perfect Ten

MerlinTheGoat

The Board loves Bob and is blinded by him, $$$ and Wall Street and $$$. They aren't thinking that far ahead. And I am sure that some hope that Bob will say ''I'll stay another 18-24 months'' when he gets within a year of his leave date.
That doesn't exactly sound promising. If they're that crazy about him and his policies, I just don't see how things could improve until it's almost too late to salvage much without building back from the ground up. If they're that blind, the company probably has to suffer severe damage to provoke a reaction from the board. But it sounds like practically no one on the board even cares about the company or its future.

I know you've said in the past that Eisner isn't a fan of Iger's (behind closed doors at least) and has some sway with some board members. Though I also think I recall you (or someone else) saying Eisner likes Staggs as well, bleh... But is there any reasonable hope at all currently? I'm just not seeing it. And we still continue to see further escalating cuts in quality throughout the company (particularly at WDW as of late).

Things are particularly negative with WDW lately, the rumors of the DHS redo plans being further delayed (if they even ever come to fruition at all) aren't comforting at all either.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
So you're suggesting or saying that neither Tom Staggs nor CEO Bob Iger were invited to the ceremonial opening of The World's Largest Disney Store and the first in China?

Now that right there is a story. Because who has that kinda juice, to tell a CEO he cannot come to the opening of his own store?

Yes, Dave. That is exactly what I'm suggesting. That IS the story that is being ignored and shouted down. But it's also the truth.

Beijing giving orders to Burbank.

Bob Iger having to kneel before his Communist overlords.

Now, who in media has the cajones to write/report that? It is the truth.

BTW, take a look at Bob making an appearance in the far off kingdom of Times Square when Disney opened a store a few years ago ... I'm sure that store is more important!

Progress.City

Not much time here as my full attention will be on Dave Letterman's final show (now that the cable is back!), but so much needs to be said, so I'll start with a little common sense and then add some history and perspective.

Bob Iger is not only the CEO of The Walt Disney Company, he is the figurehead of western media (he is no Mickey Mouse). He's the head of the largest diversified entertainment and media company on the globe. He went to Shanghai specifically for a site tour of Shanghai Disneyland Resort and the opening of the flagship Disney Store. He took his No. 2, Tom Staggs, for the ride and for the press.

What have you seen?

What has been released?

Where is all the PR?

Did Zenia Mucha lose her media savvy and her balls at the same time?

There is no way Bob and Tom went to Shanghai to NOT be seen. I would hope no one here is ignorant enough to attempt to argue that point.

They were not.

The whole purpose of a trip like this is face time, pictures, video, Tweets, FB shares and lots and lots of old-fashioned glad-handing. Period. It's not up for debate, so don't waste your keystrokes. I'm right and I'm not willing to argue facts with people.

Again, look at the results and what conclusions can YOU draw?

Let's look at some history. Here's how Disney celebrated the topping off of Sleeping Beauty Castle on Lantau Island as reported on this very site ttp://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/castle-topping-off-ceremony.45020/

You had Jay Rasulo on stage in front of a large gathering of media members, government officials, VIPs and other invited guests. You had the characters (not two mice) ... you can read about it. Ultimately, what you had was a MAJOR PR campaign coordinated by/out of Burbank.

But let's head back to a better time, a cleaner time, a time with no social media, no iDevices, a time when news outlets really were and look at the topping off ceremony held in beet fields 30 miles east of Paris ... OK, what I have was one of several Imagineering videos produced for the event. You can find others (again, I don't have the time right now):

So, what's so different now? What's the issue here exactly? Why does it appear that Disney has no control over the opening of a store they own outright, let alone the topping off of a resort in which they own 43% and are supposed to have 70% of the control?

I start pulling what hair I have left out when I feel I have to spoonfeed (EDIT: Some) people every little explanation. Use some critical thinking. Although here you only need a wee bit of common sense.

That common sense will tell you that a major CEO doesn't go all the way to China for major landmark events in his company's history to stay hidden away.

You can attempt to explain it all away ... but that's all it will be ... an attempt ... because you're already in quicksand and sinking fast. Sorta like Bob and Tom today. Oops, pardon me, I mean our leaders.

I know what you said isn't up for debate, but I have an answer for you. Who was the CEO during those two castle topping occasions you mentioned? Was it this guy?

image.jpg

That's his style. It ain't Iger's. In the above picture, he's merely repeating his style. Maybe protecting his shares.

PhotoDave219

Yes, Dave. That is exactly what I'm suggesting. That IS the story that is being ignored and shouted down. But it's also the truth.

BTW, take a look at Bob making an appearance in the far off kingdom of Times Square when Disney opened a store a few years ago ... I'm sure that store is more important!

I forgot the key word of "not" in that post, but we both put it in there.

Anyways. Thats insane. Thats messed up. Thats just unheard of. Someone has to have those stones.....

phillip sugarman

Nope.

I honestly thought it might be our own @phillip sugarman actually.

I doubt it is @Phil12 or even my own buddy and Celebration's own Phil Kippel.

Phillip Sugarman is actually someone who is interested in the topic. Not simply trolling or repeating the same BS lines no matter how much evidence I place out there.
It was me that asked the question on the Disney Parks Blog. I think if a CEO is running a multi-billion dollar company, they should be at every big milestone for the company such as the opening of the Shanghai Disneyland Resort Store or the kickoff to the 60 year anniversary for Disneyland. Bob Iger is getting paid a lot of money to make sure that the entire company is running as a whole. If he decides to not focus on certain aspects of the company, than he shouldn't be the man in charge.

Last edited:

Nemo14

So you're suggesting or saying that neither Tom Staggs nor CEO Bob Iger were not invited to the ceremonial opening of The World's Largest Disney Store and the first in China?

Now that right there is a story. Because who has that kinda juice, to tell a CEO he cannot come to the opening of his own store?

$800 million doesn't buy much nowadays I guess...

Mike S

image.jpg

Funmeister

DlJVpiu.gif

Thanks again for confirming what others said about you.
You are pretty much moving goalposts that try to make the whole issue fit your way.

Ps, this was never an issue of a "single post".
the "show hidden messages" can appear anywhere.. anytime in ANY THREAD.

Oh no. Others are talking about me.

Ps, how do you know what it is about? It was about a single post. The problem is you (and the "others") are jumping to a conclusion of what you think you know. The problem is you do not. If you do not know the whole story, then how can you say you know what you are talking about? lol

Let the "others" know I said hello if they cannot see this. LOL

Donald Razorduck

Me too.

It's a new era. And as someone who actually watched his daytime flop on NBC and became a regular watcher while in high school of Late Night, he'll be missed.

I know I should enjoy the likeable James Corden now on CBS, but I miss Craig Ferguson. I just don't dig the fake driving around LA with Justin Bieber in the car or the 'doing' 2-3-4 guests on the sofa at once (I know that sounds bad!)

Dave was this generation's Johnny Carson. He was comfortable and reassuring and wasn't wowed by celebrity (like a Jimmy Fallon is). Late night TV won't be the same.

I've heard rumblings about him getting an honorary Emmy. He certainly is deserving. Unlike another ex-Weatherman. I just can't believe Dave has been doing this since 1980. That's wild. I wish him and Regina and Harry a very happy and healthy life together.

I guess I go back to flipping between Jimmy's, but it's not the same at all. And I wonder what Colbert will bring to the table when he is himself and not a character.

They whitewashed all traces of "Vickie" from the montages.
Hiding from the past is the only knock on the last few episodes.

the.dreamfinder

Let's do some comparative analysis between yesterday's Disney Store opening in Shanghai and another recent grand opening.
Last summer, Disneyland Paris opened their Ratatouille attraction and mini-land at WDSP. The opening event was your typical song and dance, but a certain someone made an appearance; Bob Iger.
Ratatouille_0.png

Bob generally does not make appearances at these kinds of grand openings unless it's a really big deal like rededicating DCA. That duty typically falls to Staggs, who then often poses with resort leadership.
Mystic Manor
mmo019823LARGE.jpg

Grizzly Gulch
GrizzlyGulchOpeningCeremony.jpg

MK New Fantasyland
new-fantasyland-HQ-opening-confetti-120612.jpg

Why then was Bob Iger at the opening of Ratatouille? Bob Iger was likely in Paris for the opening for two reasons. First, Burbank was finishing up the terms of its takeover of Euro Disney SCA which would see in the fall with the recapitalization plan to increase their holdings in the resort. Which brings us to the second reason, to signal to the business press, and thus its audience of analysts and executives at TWDC's peers, that Disney will have a stronger role in the running of the resort. What way can you make that any clearer than by having the weatherman himself show up to project that support/control?

This is in direct contrast to the Disney Store opening and SDL construction where lack of presence on the part of Disney's senior most executives, Bob, Tom and Chappie, demonstrates their diminished clout and control of their most important initiatives in China. Spirit has said it before and will likely say it again, THIS is a big story and the press refuses to cover it. One wonders what kind of mess the next CEO will have in China once the weatherman steps down.

Last edited:

Mike S

Let's do some comparative analysis between yesterday's Disney Store opening in Shanghai and another recent grand opening.
Last summer, Disneyland Paris opened their Ratatouille attraction and mini-land at WDSP. The opening event was your typical song and dance, but a certain someone made an appearance; Bob Iger.
Ratatouille_0.png

Bob generally does not make appearances at these kinds of grand openings unless it's a really big deal likere dedicating DCA. That duty typically falls to Staggs, who then often poses with resort leadership.
Mystic Manor
mmo019823LARGE.jpg

Grizzly Gulch
GrizzlyGulchOpeningCeremony.jpg

MK New Fantasyland
new-fantasyland-HQ-opening-confetti-120612.jpg

Why then, was Bob Iger at the opening of Ratatouille? Bob Iger was likely in Paris for the opening for two reasons. First, Burbank was finishing up the terms of its takeover of Euro Disney SCA which would see in the fall with the recapitalization plan to increase their holdings in the resort. Which brings us to the second reason, to signal to the business press, and thus its audience of analysts and executives at TWDC's peers, that Disney will have a stronger role in the running of the resort. What way can you make that any clearer than by having the weatherman himself show up to project that support/control?

This is in direct contrast to the Disney Store opening and SDL construction where lack of presence on the part of Disney's senior most executives, Bob, Tom and Chappie, demonstrates their diminished clout and control of their most important initiatives in China. Spirit has said it before and will likely say it again, THIS is a big story and the press refuses to cover it. One wonders what kind of mess the next CEO will have in China once the weatherman steps down.
This whole thing with Bob and SDL has got me wondering what it will be like in Beijing. It would sure be interesting if there's plenty of pics of Steve Burke on site compared to basically nothing of Iger except one leaked pic.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
With all the bizzare restrictions and scheduling issuses, I'm starting to wonder whether China said it's building a 'Disney' park with or without Disney's participation, And the cash infusions etc and are simply a desperate attempt to keep control of "Disney" IP in mainland China by TWDC.

The fact that Bob and his team are not allowed anywhere near the park and not being allowed even a PICTURE in the press speaks volumes as it appears that non-Disney businesspeople have no difficulty in securing tours and pictures at the site.

Phil12

Wow! You really think I'm that important?!! I'm starting to get a bulge! :D

Oh wait, you mean Phil ... there goes the bulge.

Seriously, if he was trying to be helpful, Stitch/Brad put the photo early this afternoon (while I was stuck in a third-world like hospital clinic) and Phil could have 'helped' us all by putting it out immediately. He waited until I came on, posted and he pounced. I'm very used to that behavior from him and others.

But, again, that picture means nothing, except to the Commies.

If they put the pic out that @PhotoDave219 suggested, then that would have meant something.

No one can give me an explanation for why they didn't. At least here they can't (I already know why).
This is an example of why you create problems for yourself. You're stating that I had the photo in my possession (or I knew where to find it) much earlier in the day. And then, according to your theory, waited in ambush until you posted in the thread and then I suddenly jumped out with my photo garotte in hand to prove you wrong. You're trying to portray me as some evil saboteur lying in wait to spring some horrendous weapon upon you. In fact, there is no truth to that story.

The truth is that I was browsing the thread when you posted a message at 9:28 PM and in that message you asked to see a photo of Bob Iger at the new China Disney Store. As I have said repeatedly now, I Googled, "Iger at China Disney Store" and the Business-Wire link with the photo was the very first search result. I copied the photo and posted it to the thread at 9:34 PM. I didn't include any editorial comment. That's the entire truth of the matter. Try it yourself. I noticed today that the Business-Wire link has fallen to the third search result on Google.

Yet, you decide to concoct some fanciful story that fits your perceived notions about me. And there is not one word of truth in your story. This is the reason why I find it necessary to question other things that you say. You seem to bend, twist and exaggerate facts so that they fit the "truth" of your story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom