A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

Well, they are doing just that at Tokyo... so it certainly fuels the fanboi fire.

The complaints are somewhat legitimized because 4/5 versions are woefully behind HKDL. If they upgraded the other versions I think some of the complaining would subside.

It is aimed at 5 year olds though... Heck, I went on a kindergarten field trip in 1992, in Canada, and it was an all electric/more compelling version than what most of the parks are currently running.

home_image.jpg

As @lazyboy97o and @RadiatorSpringsRacer said, it's not the concept, it's the execution that is woefully lacking for a Disney level park.

I'm not necessarily sure that matters.

If you're a five-year-old, you really wouldn't care about execution. You just wanna drive.

.... also why is there product placement of a McDonalds in that photo?

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

If you're a five-year-old, you really wouldn't care about execution. You just wanna drive.

Is it the roofline that you identified...?

*1023*

the.dreamfinder

Well, they are doing just that at Tokyo... so it certainly fuels the fanboi fire.

The complaints are somewhat legitimized because 4/5 versions are woefully behind HKDL. If they upgraded the other versions I think some of the complaining would subside.

It is aimed at 5 year olds though... Heck, I went on a kindergarten field trip in 1992, in Canada, and it was an all electric/more compelling version than what most of the parks are currently running.

home_image.jpg

As @lazyboy97o and @RadiatorSpringsRacer said, it's not the concept, it's the execution that is woefully lacking for a Disney level park.
Kings Dominion has a similar attraction in Planet Snoopy, it used to be themed to the Rugrats as part of the Nickelodeon area when Paramount still owned the park. It was probably the coolest thing ever when I was eight. I also didn't have to wait for what seemed like hours like you do at the MK Speedway's queue from h e l l. In addition to switching to electric, a better queue would be much appreciated. Much more than say building a jungle gym for Dumbo.

mahnamahna101

Not meaning to stir up a Uni vs. Disney debate with this comment, but I have an observation and I'm piggy-backing your comment.

TSPL is pretty equivalent to Springfield in my books. I actually think TSPL in HK (not DLP) might be my personal pick for the best between the two. The food is more enticing with Springfield, but the execution is definitely not as consistent.

They are both photogenic enough for the average tourist and the average tourist seems to really enjoy both.

Neither of them are 'excellent' lands however...

I find it funny that the former (Springfield) seems to be earning all sorts of praise, while the later is an example of Disney phoning it in. The only problem is TSPL lacks a headliner, but the incoming TSMM negates that concern somewhat.
Springfield gets praise because Universal didn't make a big deal about it the way Disney did with TSPL. Disney did press releases and grand openings... Universal just started letting people in :p

OSUgirl77

Comparing the box office of PP2 to MM is like apples and orangutans. Totally different audiences starting with the age.

I saw both last weekend and found PP2 similar to the first one except not as good. Filler to the finale and a sappy finale at that. You could see where it was headed from the moment the new girl showed up. Das Sound Machine should have won.

Mad Max on the other hand was 2 hours of mayhem followed by a wish for another.
I have zero desire to see Mad Max for some reason. I'm sure I will end up seeing it at some point, but not in the theaters. I've only heard good things about it though.

Mike S

Springfield gets praise because Universal didn't make a big deal about it the way Disney did with TSPL. Disney did press releases and grand openings... Universal just started letting people in :p
That seems to be a running trend with some things. Reading OU the opening of some kind of Raptor show/M&G is pretty imminent and Universal has said nothing about it. There's been construction for a while now and someone heard them testing the Raptor sounds recently. If this was Disney it would be hyped to high heaven as some great new experience on the DPB.

BrianLo

I guess the argument comes down to: should a Disney attraction exist to be only enjoyed by five year olds (plus or minus a few years)?

I assume McDonalds was one of the sponsors. It is a safety village made to mimic Canadian streets to teach kids about road rules. There is actually a ton of product placement that you probably just don't recognize. Zehr's is a grocery store, there is a Canadian Legion, waste management, home depot, CIBC, Schneiders and some others I can't quite make out.

lazyboy97o

For it's purpose it has absolutely fine execution. To a child it seems realistic and fun. It isn't for our entertainment it is for theirs. I haven't seen the DL version, but, I know from my own experience with my own children, they were so proud of themselves for getting drive just like mom and dad does. It needs nothing more then what it is.

Nothing about a more fleshed out experience pushes away five year old riders. Disneyland was a reaction against vicarious enjoyment.

lazyboy97o

I wonder what they would finally come up with.
The comments on The Verge's article on this flag had some interesting pictures of other ideas. I think my favorite was a simple diagram of the solar system. If you search for 'solar system flag' on Google Image Search it should be the first result. (It is even has Pluto for the Pluto lovers out there.)

Phil12

Not following this thread. Who is fritz and why was he emailed?
Because according to certain Spirits there are no honest and forthright journalists left and therefore the minions were summoned to berate Ben Fritz with their righteous indignation.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Global power projection means structures and stability (loss of which were signs of a withdrawn Mandate). That is not at all close to being the Soviet Union v2, but it seems all of your comments on China are based far more in Soviet/Russian methodologies than in Chinese ones.

Confucan China no longer exists the ie the one which posits the existance of the 'Mandate of Heaven' modern Chinese leadership is a pastiche of Maoism, Marx/Leninism and some historical remnants of the Confucan system which the leadership believes plays well with the citizenry,

The reality of modern china is the primacy of the STATE over all other things in Chinese society, It's why video gaming is being cracked down on and churches are being razed as gaming and religion are threats to the primacy of the state one by the average gamer NOT CARING about the Chinese State and the second by their belief in a 'higher power' ABOVE the government.

Cesar R M

So I have to be concerned that people have an inability to control themselves and their behavior?!?

Da heck?

The one thing I was told (repeatedly) by a former boss was that the only thing I can control is how I react to things.

(And it took forever to stick)
welcome to the magical world of the BAD SIDE Of the internet social networks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom