A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrianLo

Nobody's perfect, the Oriental Land Company included.
http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news/olcgroup/20150519_1e.pdf

Such a random, out of the blue announcement! I think I like it though...

Count me in on the side that Storm Rider needed to go.

Actually, this officially concludes 'armchair imagineer' series of requests of things that Tokyo needed to fix.

1) Autotopia was an awful eye-sore/waste of space
2) Small World was in disrepair
3) Storm rider was long in the tooth
4) TDS needed to expand with an 8th port

Thanks for listening OLC, now if only you'd get better merchandise...

BrianLo

That is incredibly sad from a company who used to pride itself in being the absolute best of the best. No wonder others are catching up with the quality of their new offerings.

Not meaning to stir up a Uni vs. Disney debate with this comment, but I have an observation and I'm piggy-backing your comment.

TSPL is pretty equivalent to Springfield in my books. I actually think TSPL in HK (not DLP) might be my personal pick for the best between the two. The food is more enticing with Springfield, but the execution is definitely not as consistent.

They are both photogenic enough for the average tourist and the average tourist seems to really enjoy both.

Neither of them are 'excellent' lands however...

I find it funny that the former (Springfield) seems to be earning all sorts of praise, while the later is an example of Disney phoning it in. The only problem is TSPL lacks a headliner, but the incoming TSMM negates that concern somewhat.

Mike S

Such a random, out of the blue announcement! I think I like it though...

Count me in on the side that Storm Rider needed to go.

Actually, this officially concludes 'armchair imagineer' series of requests of things that Tokyo needed to fix.

1) Autotopia was an awful eye-sore/waste of space
2) Small World was in disrepair
3) Storm rider was long in the tooth
4) TDS needed to expand with an 8th port

Thanks for listening OLC, now if only you'd get better merchandise...
They're actually fixing what needs fixing in their parks and listening?!?!
image.jpg

As we all know Disney, unlike OLC, is a business and can't do something like that or it could negatively affect those all important bonuses and buybacks :rolleyes:

the.dreamfinder

Some of it sounds like they're trying to downplay the fact that most Chinese have no idea what Disney is.
I'm not on the Mouse's payroll, but not rolling out photos of the Disney Store opening to crowds of Chinese fans seems like a mistake. When I see images like this, which are standard press tour shots, I think tumbleweeds. I just don't understand the timing.
http://www.qdaily.com/webapp/articles/9679?from=groupmessage&isappinstalled=0
If I'm Disney, especially given the concerns of the relevance/popularity of the BRAND in China, I would want images like this for my big story.
shanghai_apple_store_opening_200px.png

Mike S

Not meaning to stir up a Uni vs. Disney debate with this comment, but I have an observation and I'm piggy-backing your comment.

TSPL is pretty equivalent to Springfield in my books. I actually think TSPL in HK (not DLP) might be my personal pick for the best between the two. The food is more enticing with Springfield, but the execution is definitely not as consistent.

They are both photogenic enough for the average tourist and the average tourist seems to really enjoy both.

Neither of them are 'excellent' lands however...

I find it funny that the former (Springfield) seems to be earning all sorts of praise, while the later is an example of Disney phoning it in. The only problem is TSPL lacks a headliner, but the incoming TSMM negates that concern somewhat.
I can agree with that, but have you seen Springfield in Hollywood? Much more facade wise than what we got in Orlando and I think it really helps.

Quinnmac000

For the most part, the reasons why Springfield is so praised is because of the food and beverages. Adding unique and great dining options like Duff Beer, Flaming Mo's and Chicken and Waffle sandwiches get people talking. My coworker just got back from Orlando where he spent 5 days at Disney and 2 days at Universal and the thing he talks about even more than Potter is The Big Pink donut from Lard Boys and how good he found the Chicken and Waffle sandwich for the price it was.

Its not always about the visual but the unique and quality of products within an area.

BrianLo

I can agree with that, but have you seen Springfield in Hollywood? Much more facade wise than what we got in Orlando and I think it really helps.

Not in person, but I agree, not being relegated to a single story helped immensely.

Unfortunately the studio tram tour is just not enough to convince me I need to visit that park. I wish they would get away from homogenizing their parks... but that's another complaint entirely.

BrianLo

I'm not on the Mouse's payroll, but not rolling out photos of the Disney Store opening to crowds of Chinese fans seems like a mistake. When I see images like this, which are standard press tour shots, I think tumbleweeds. I just don't understand the timing.
http://www.qdaily.com/webapp/articles/9679?from=groupmessage&isappinstalled=0
If I'm Disney, especially given the concerns of the relevance/popularity of the BRAND in China, I would want images like this for my big story.
shanghai_apple_store_opening_200px.png

Yes, one would expect some sort of moderate roll-out like this. Apple specifically highlighted this retail location back in the day (I think Steve talked about it in the keynotes), certainly they understood the importance.

That said, I don't think the store has actually officially opened yet (it's only 6 in the morning), so I guess we will know in the next few hours.

At the very minimum I expect some photos with Bob/Tom/Mickey and a ribbon cutting.

Mike S

Not in person, but I agree, not being relegated to a single story helped immensely.

Unfortunately the studio tram tour is just not enough to convince me I need to visit that park. I wish they would get away from homogenizing their parks... but that's another complaint entirely.
I wanted to go to USH when I was in California but the people I went with pretty much had the same thoughts as you. I'm planning to go back maybe in 2017 so hopefully I can go then. Having Harry Potter open by then should help, especially if the rumor about the Great Hall is true.

GiveMeTheMusic

Oh you definitely should visit USH sometime. The tram tour is the defining feature - and unlike other Uni parks, it's a real backlot with historical sets. It's a great experience even if the rest of the park is largely clones.

RadiatorSpringsRacer

Why does everyone always hate on any Autotopia/Speedway that exists in a Disney Park?

Whats wrong with you people? Wouldn't you want to drive a car when you were five?

Speaking personally, I dislike the Orlando one but love the Anaheim one. The latter is just more varied; more fun.

It's not the concept, it's the execution.

Last edited:

Funmeister

I can tell you CM's who work it (Autopia)...hate it!

Breathing exhaust all day...

NOT SOP...but...that never stopped leads...eh hem..."coordinators" and management to encourage the Cast to check gas with their fingers.

Dealing with guests that try (and succeed) to jump the track, hit cars in front of them and generally not listening

It is a real joy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom