A Spirited Perfect Ten

Goofyernmost

Walt was dead in 1971. His last project was heavily influenced by a man who openly hated cars and likewise EPCOT involved removing cars.
I'm not talking about date of construction, I'm talking about concept of the attraction. It still holds true whether or not we sit here and whine about the terrible pollution that it is creating. It's awful and almost at the same level as driving your car to WDW or the bus you rode on to get to WDW from the airport or the bus ride from the resort to the park or one plane take off. But, kids like it so it should go.

PhotoDave219

I'm not talking about date of construction, I'm talking about concept of the attraction. It still holds true whether or not we sit here and whine about the terrible pollution that it is creating. It's awful and almost at the same level as driving your car to WDW or the bus you rode on to get to WDW from the airport or the bus ride from the resort to the park or one plane take off. But, kids like it so it should go.

Unless you're not old enough to drive.....

truecoat

I don't know how good the sequel is, but the first Pitch Perfect was actually pretty cute, especially for teenagers and young adults. I like action movies and I like serious dramas, but sometimes you just want to watch something lighthearted and not think for a couple of hours. Pitch Perfect fits that bill.

Comparing the box office of PP2 to MM is like apples and orangutans. Totally different audiences starting with the age.

I saw both last weekend and found PP2 similar to the first one except not as good. Filler to the finale and a sappy finale at that. You could see where it was headed from the moment the new girl showed up. Das Sound Machine should have won.

Mad Max on the other hand was 2 hours of mayhem followed by a wish for another.

lazyboy97o

Concept and execution are not the same thing.

Iwerks64

Having breakfast in Hong Kong this morning and front page of the South China Morning Post is a nice article complete with pictures:

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...hai-disney-shows-whats-store-flagship-opening

Discusses both the park and the Disney store opening. This is an English language paper based in Hong Kong, so 1/3 of the article discusses the impact on HKDL and the HK economy.

One interesting tidbit from the article is that items at the Shanghai Disney store will be 50 Yaun more expensive than the same items in Hong Kong or Tokyo. That seems an unwise decision.

PhotoDave219

Having breakfast in Hong Kong this morning and front page of the South China Morning Post is a nice article complete with pictures:

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...hai-disney-shows-whats-store-flagship-opening

Discusses both the park and the Disney store opening. This is an English language paper based in Hong Kong, so 1/3 of the article discusses the impact on HKDL and the HK economy.

One interesting tidbit from the article is that items at the Shanghai Disney store will be 50 Yaun more expensive than the same items in Hong Kong or Tokyo. That seems an unwise decision.

$5.4 Billion dollars?!?!!? How long will it take to recoup that investment?!?!

BrianLo

Why does everyone always hate on any Autotopia/Speedway that exists in a Disney Park?

Whats wrong with you people? Wouldn't you want to drive a car when you were five?

Then again one of the people I know who loathes the speedway is 35, doesnt have a license and lives at home with mommy....

I assume you are referring to my comment?

I specifically hate Autotopia at TDL. It was hacked apart for their toon town, and looks like an out of place vestige of the early 90s. It is a single flat loop. It is soooo bad (not because it is autopia, but because it is by far the worst version).

The other versions are all fine to varying degrees.

HKDL > Anaheim > Paris > WDW... And WDW isn't short on space.

PhotoDave219

I assume you are referring to my comment?

I specifically hate Autotopia at TDL. It was hacked apart for their toon town, and looks like an out of place vestige of the early 90s. It is a single flat loop. It is soooo bad (not because it is autopia, but because it is by far the worst version).

The other versions are all fine to varying degrees.

HKDL > Anaheim > Paris > WDW... And WDW isn't short on space.

It sparked it, yes. But its been others over the year, to the point that it seems like a fanbois' wet dream to tear up the Speedway and do..... well theyve never gotten that far with it with their armchair imagineering.

I just get sick of all the hatred of it. Its aimed at five-year-olds and those that are nowhere near old enough to drive. Gives them a chance to do something adults get to do.

Goofyernmost

Concept and execution are not the same thing.
For it's purpose it has absolutely fine execution. To a child it seems realistic and fun. It isn't for our entertainment it is for theirs. I haven't seen the DL version, but, I know from my own experience with my own children, they were so proud of themselves for getting to drive just like mom and dad does. It needs nothing more then what it is.

Last edited:

BrianLo

It sparked it, yes. But its been others over the year, to the point that it seems like a fanbois' wet dream to tear up the Speedway and do..... well theyve never gotten that far with it with their armchair imagineering.

I just get sick of all the hatred of it. Its aimed at five-year-olds and those that are nowhere near old enough to drive. Gives them a chance to do something adults get to do.

Well, they are doing just that at Tokyo... so it certainly fuels the fanboi fire.

The complaints are somewhat legitimized because 4/5 versions are woefully behind HKDL. If they upgraded the other versions I think some of the complaining would subside.

It is aimed at 5 year olds though... Heck, I went on a kindergarten field trip in 1992, in Canada, and it was an all electric/more compelling version than what most of the parks are currently running.

home_image.jpg

As @lazyboy97o and @RadiatorSpringsRacer said, it's not the concept, it's the execution that is woefully lacking for a Disney level park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom