A Spirited Perfect Ten

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We've been bleeding secrets to China at an alarming rate, including from the highest levels of government since the Clinton administration. Some of which had direct impact on National Security. As more documents become available we will learn even more about the corruption in our own country. If China borrows things is that a surprise anymore?

*1023*
Bleeding secrets = keeping the loans going

PhotoDave219

Dealing with China has always been making a deal with the devil.

I see why they want to invest there, they want to capture the emerging Chinese middle class.

I feel they've rushed into it without laying the proper groundwork. I feel it was rushed and isn't being done with the proper understanding of the market and culture they're entering. And having Disney's best people that know China leaving the company? Can't be a good sign.

lazyboy97o

Actually the Chinese want to be Soviet Union v2.0 the term Middle Kingdom actually means that China is the center of the universe, The long goal is to have China as the global rule with the 'inferior' people (read as non-Han Chinese) as servants of the Han Chinese.

The Chinese have no interest in playing nicely on the world stage, their end goal is to restore China to its proper place as ruler of the known world as it was in ancient times.
Global power projection means structures and stability (loss of which were signs of a withdrawn Mandate). That is not at all close to being the Soviet Union v2, but it seems all of your comments on China are based far more in Soviet/Russian methodologies than in Chinese ones.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Now, I'd like to officially welcome Shanghai Disneyland lead creative from WDI, Bob Weis, to the growing list of luminaries who read this thread. ...Although, Bob, I kinda suspected you've been reading for a while. (it won't hurt your BRAND at all, despite what some may tell you!) And, hey, congrats that they kept the promise and tore down that toon hat!

Oh, and gotta love it when TWDC puts out the official Shanghai government's photo of the Storybook Castle being topped off and when BW Tweeted that picture (because Disney, for some odd reason, doesn't have one to share), I have the feeling when he was describing the skies he was talking about how beautiful they were from at his lovely California home.

Anyone else notice in that WSJ Blog piece, which was not written by Ben Fritz, that the writer felt the need to tell the readers (it's actually the responsible thing, but he likely wrote it in frustration with his inability to get information from Disney) he was relying in information from a press release that was over two years old?

PhotoDave219

Now, I'd like to officially welcome Shanghai Disneyland lead creative from WDI, Bob Weis, to the growing list of luminaries who read this thread. ...Although, Bob, I kinda suspected you've been reading for a while. (it won't hurt your BRAND at all, despite what some may tell you!) And, hey, congrats that they kept the promise and tore down that toon hat!

Oh, and gotta love it when TWDC puts out the official Shanghai government's photo of the Storybook Castle being topped off and when BW Tweeted that picture (because Disney, for some odd reason, doesn't have one to share), I have the feeling when he was describing the skies he was talking about how beautiful they were from at his lovely California home.

Anyone else notice in that WSJ Blog piece, which was not written by Ben Fritz, that the writer felt the need to tell the readers (it's actually the responsible thing, but he likely wrote it in frustration with his inability to get information from Disney) he was relying in information from a press release that was over two years old?

Can you pass on to Bob that I'm willing to sell out in a heartbeat for a decent salary?

doctornick

And yet sadly, Toy Story Land was likely Disney's favorite part of the HKDL expansion. There's been more discussion within Disney about how to do more projects like TSL than probably Mystic Manor or Grizzly Gulch combined.

TSL is all of Disney's favorite things: cheap, heavy on a single money-making franchise, and a way of letting the park say they've added multiple rides (and again, cheaply). Expect many more lands like Toy Story Land in the future - both in HKDL and elsewhere.

There's some rumblings that both Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor have exclusivity for HKDL for some time period, so that might explain why there are no plans to clone them to other parks worldwide.

choco choco

Similar to Star Tours, but the cabins are bigger and there are effects going on around you. Stuff is falling off the walls and you get sprayed with water. The video doesn’t include the pre show. Here is a description of the attraction from Disney wiki and keep in mind you have very enthusiastic CM’s in the pre show describing this in Japanese.

"Pre-Ride
A cast member briefs you on your mission. There is a big storm and you are to deploy a Fuse-a storm dissipater-into the eye of the storm in a StormRider. The cast member gives a brief demonstration of the Fuse, and says that you will be safe from the Fuse, as you will be miles away by the time it goes off. You are then ushered into a flight simulator similar to that of Star Tours.

Ride
You take off, following another StormRider, but go off course, seeing dolphins, boats and Zeppelins. You meet up with the other StormRider and go into the eye of the storm, but the other StormRider is struck by lightning and forced to land. Shortly after, you deploy the Fuse, which is also struck by lightning and goes off course, impaling itself in the launcher located overhead. This effect is achieved by having a segment of the launcher rotate to reveal a large hole with the Fuse inside. You manage to dislodge it from the as it explodes, damaging the StormRider and causing it to fall, but it manages to fly again before in finally crashes into the ocean as the ride ends. This segment of the ride features such effects as panels partially falling off and embers on other panels. "

It is just a completely bizarre experience.

Agreed, StormRider was a poorly conceived story from the get-go (who has ever wished they could be chasing thunderstorms? It's like a lamer version of Twister) But StormRider's biggest problem isn't going to be fixed by this redo. That problem: the cabins are just way too big. You lose all sense of intimacy. The riders in the rear are too far back to be engaged by what's going on on the screen. The cabin is so big that any sense you could be inside a real vehicle is lost. Star Tours remember, had riders walk by an actual-size StarSpeeder in the queue, only to board their own StarSpeeder later. Looking onto the exterior of what you're getting on before you get on is one of the most important concepts that make a ride a "ride." It's why Disney places such a huge premium on the boarding area.

StormRider can't mock up it's own ride vehicle, because it would be ginormous. Instead, they just have you walk straight into the cabin, with some incongruous "this is the loading bridge to what is supposed to be some undefined large fly-ey thingy" but in reality what it really feels like is that you are walking into a theater and are then suddenly pitching and rolling next to a movie screen.

The in-cabin effects also are not believable. Some of it, again, is the scale. When that mast pierces through the hull, the actual mast that drops into the cabin is so large that the mechanical gadgetry can only make it "crash" in slowly. I mean, that doesn't jibe what's going on on-screen, which had you collide with the thing at high speed. Of course, the mast has to be so big so that everyone in the theater can see it. Then what happens on-screen, with the vehicle dodging in and out of obstacles with astonishing speed and agility, also doesn't jibe with the human brains' understanding of large vehicles, which we expect to be more slow and lumbering. Everything could have been immeasurably helped by using the same ride-system as Star Tours, so I'm not sure why they went with what they did.

PS. The Nemo replacement sounds totally ridiculous. I can't think of a single ride that has riders "shrink" into a miniature world that has yet believably worked. It didn't work in Ratatouille. It didn't work in "...I Shrunk the Audience" or Body Wars or Bugs Land or Midway Mania. I never rode Inner Space, but that ride seemed like it actually took the time to think of ways to stage a believable transformation (by...seeing the ride vehicles shrink! See, I told you it's important to see what you are getting on). Usually, I think it's just a really lazy concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom