A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Speak of the devil, Matt Lemas published an article on Bay last week on the 14th.

OK. That may answer what the kid (a rich little twink) was thinking when he was here. Likely trolling the perceived 'insiders' (BTW, I have never actually used this term to describe myself because I don't know what I am supposed to be inside of and enclosed places can scare me!) here for information that could help him leverage the situation with Willow Bay Iger and his school.

One wonders if he'll have a production deal with Disney/ABC sitting on the table when he graduates ...the business is so entertaining, even when it's not meant to be. Of course, one wonders if he's thought he just might be on the 'hit list' of someone else. Not to say he is. But it is possible and, indeed, likely.

Mike S

It appears Six Flags is outdoing the recent WDW efforts with their new dark rides this year. Six Flags Over Texas just posted a new video today of their 3-D dark ride that unlike Universal... still include physical effects. I was shocked to see real fire used and it appears to be a wonderful ride that would be well at home at any Disney and Universal parks.

King Kong is supposed to change that (and I hope Nintendo as well). Doesn't seem like much will change between now and when it opens next summer. Looks like a fun ride and the physical effects and AA's are cool but the CG looks, well, let's just say it's no Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. That could just be the video though.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'd be happy to email Fritz at WSJ. ...but he wants sources. "I read on a forum that..." may not be enough.

I can say there has been much chatter but I'm sure he wants to talk to someone in the know. Who do I need mention by name in particular - or - a direction to point him in?

Reporters. Real reporters. They find sources. They dig them up. They don't ask on the Twitter (see Soup & Salad Sandra).

There are so many angles here: from the missing/unaccounted for $800 million ... to the graft in China and how it may be affecting SDL ... to the fact Shendi has, of yet, not allowed Disney to release ONE photograph of Bob Iger, Tom Staggs or Mickey Mouse on the SDL site ... to Mike Crawford and his family 'escaping' from Shanghai and Disney not even acknowledging it in a press release ... to the scrubbing of the HuffPo Op-Ed with Willow Bay as a Senior Editor etc.

If a reporter who covers TWDC for the WSJ doesn't see any stories there and can't find sources to talk to and things to write about those subjects, then he's a total fraud who simply is in the pocket of Disney (his Tweets about Willow Bay's Oscar dress -- he's a financial writer mind you, or his appearance on the carpet for the Tomorrowland premiere ... would give pause, but I think pushing people to either do their jobs or show their true colors is a noble thing.)

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
King Kong is supposed to change that (and I hope Nintendo as well). Doesn't seem like much will change between now and when it opens next summer. Looks like a fun ride and the physical effects and AA's are cool but the CG looks, well, let's just say it's no Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. That could just be the video though.

That might just be lay over video....It would be hard to shoot something behind you... King Kong has a chance to blow us away....

*1023*

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sure it is. It's called "Operating Participant F&B Breakage."

Again, not sure where this comes from. I've talked to people from Levy's Restaurants as well as the HoB and it flat out isn't the case unless they all don't know their businesses. FWIW, both of the above hate having to take part in the plan and feels it lowers the quality of their dining experience at times.

Cesar R M

It appears Six Flags is outdoing the recent WDW efforts with their new dark rides this year. Six Flags Over Texas just posted a new video today of their 3-D dark ride that unlike Universal... still include physical effects. I was shocked to see real fire used and it appears to be a wonderful ride that would be well at home at any Disney and Universal parks.

hey! I remember when they announced that "advanced" AA a few months ago!

PhotoDave219

OK. That may answer what the kid (a rich little twink) was thinking when he was here. Likely trolling the perceived 'insiders' (BTW, I have never actually used this term to describe myself because I don't know what I am supposed to be inside of and enclosed places can scare me!) here for information that could help him leverage the situation with Willow Bay Iger and his school.

One wonders if he'll have a production deal with Disney/ABC sitting on the table when he graduates ...the business is so entertaining, even when it's not meant to be. Of course, one wonders if he's thought he just might be on the 'hit list' of someone else. Not to say he is. But it is possible and, indeed, likely.

What do you expect from the University of Spoiled Children?

Iwerks64

Spirited Monday Quickees:

To @Iwerks64, I'd love to have your HKDL observations/thoughts on this thread when you are able. I'm also pretty certain that if you had business on the very street that is now passing through the Shanghai Disneyland resort, my guess is that you likely could get a tour out at the site. It might be worth your time. Again, I'm sure I could get a tour of the site, no matter how much some high-level individuals have personal animus toward me. What do we both have in common? Neither of us works for TWDC.

Well, here's a series of random observations that have relevance to things discussed in past Spirited threads. This was probably my 7th or 8th visit to HKDL. First visit was around 2007. When I'm over here, I'm usually all over China, from Shanghai to Tsingtao to Zhuhai to Guangdong. There's not a lot of Downtime between business meetings, but I try to arrange my schedule so I can have personal time on Sunday and preferably in either Hong Kong or Shanghai. When in Hong Kong, I stay in Kowloon, close to the water and it's an easy cab ride to HKDL.

What's nice is there is zero planning needed. I can buy a ticket at my hotel and 20 minutes later be walking in the front gates. It's a beautiful walk from the transportation area down the esplanade(?) with gorgeous landscaping, music and that great fountain in the center. This walk really is a relaxing transition that gets you in the mood. Sorry, no pictures in this post. I have a ton of pictures from various visits, but I'm in a car right now on the way to a lunch meeting and I didn't take too many pics this visit.

I tried to make more direct observations of things that have been discussed. First, Disney apparel. There's a few people wearing Disney shirts and some girls with Minnie ear head bands, but not many. No more than the percentage of people wearing any other licensed apparel. Saw just as much spongebob, Iron Man, Dora and Hello Kitty as Disney. I did see one little girl in full princess dress. The people in Disney wear looked to be either Westerners, Hong Kong natives or Japanese. Not mainlanders.

Strollers - I'd be lucky if at any moment I could look around and see even two strollers. No ECVs and no giant stroller parking lots. A lot of little kids, but walking, running or being carried.

For anyone who hasn't been to HKDL, I will say that it is incredibly clean and well run. The landscaping is beautiful (as you might expect in the tropical climate). It is more humid than Florida, but no mold or rot was in evidence anywhere. Lots of CMs continually cleaning. Bathrooms were the nicest I'd been in all week.

Coming into the park, it's apparent that Duffy is continuing his infectious creep into all the parks. He was on the cover of the map guide, in s big store window display on Main Street, and there were Duffy and his lady friend (whatever her name is) figures set up in various landscaped areas. I wasn't a fan of Duffy when I first saw him at TDL. I just don't get the appeal or the logic of creating yet another plush character when you have hundreds already. But, to each his own. I'm not the target market.

Mickey and Minnie had their meet and greet in the middle of town square with a very orderly line of maybe a dozen or so families waiting for their photo-op. In the past, I've seen other characters out and about in various areas of Main Street for meet and greet, didn't see them today.

Half of the left side of Main Street was behind a scrim for refurbishment. I took a pic on my phone if anyone's really interested. One thing I also took a picture of was the curbs on main street. Yep, real 3-4" curbs. I guess people in Hong Kong know how to walk down a street without falling off the curb and twisting their ankle. Maybe the lack of strollers allows you to have curbs.

Buzz was down for refurbishment, as is the train (due to Iron Man construction). Seems like every time I've been to HKDL, there's at least one or two attractions closed for refurbishment. Doesn't seem to ruin anyone's visit. And yes, I did look to see how busy guest services was (and that would be - not). Iron Man construction is coming along. It's really a huge area. The construction wall has pushed farther into the park since the last time I was there. Hard to get a good view into the construction area from either Autopia or Astro Orbiters, but it looks to be coming along for its 2016 opening. and I have to say, this is probably the best Autopia in any Disney park. Long, lushly landscaped, electric cars with onboard audio futuristic sound effects.

Speaking of construction, I haven't seen a lot of buzz anywhere about what's going in behind Dumbo in Fantasyland. Doesn't look huge and all that's there right now are pipe stubs and a few trees. Hopefully it'll help fill out Fantasyland. With only one dark ride, it is fairly week. The backside of Fantasyland has always struck me as "unfinished".

Also saw a sign posted for "making new magic for your future enjoyment" in front of a wall between Adventureland and Grizzly Gultch. Just to the left before you go under the train tracks. Looked like some shell construction back there. @WDW1974 , any idea what that might be?

Most of the rides and show elements looked great. Space mountain is great - smooth, dark and onboard audio, although the entry and exit queues are lacking. Small World was pristine - later in the day I got a boat all to myself for a nice relaxing cruise. Grizzly Mt. Mine ride is just a superb piece of imagineering and probably the smoothest coaster I've ever been on. I really wish they would have fleshed out this land with more than just one ride. Both Grizzly Gultch and Mystic Point are beautifully done, but very sparse "lands".

A few critical show elements not working. The worst was on Mystic Mansion. The timing for the finale was messed up. Both times I rode, I only got half the scene before being whisked out to the music box room. The first time, we entered the room halfway through the scene when the wall was already blown out. The second time, we caught the first part of the scene, but were out before the big effects started. Very poor show and really confuses the ending. Second thing I noticed was at the end of Philharmagic, the rear curtains open and - no Donald AA. The audio plays, but I could see confused looks on some people around me.

In my opinion, the biggest negative in the park is Toy Story land. Especially if you come out of Mystic Point, it's a jarring transition. I'd say it's the Chester and Hester of the park. It looks like what it is. Re skinned carnival rides plopped down in a parking lot. Even the landscaping appears to have been an afterthought simply to screen the view with bamboo. I'm sorry, maybe some people like it, but it turns me cold. Some of the elements are cute in how they've combined different toys to make fences and benches (oh yeah, benches. Forgot to mention the benches everywhere). The whole area reeks of "cheaply done".

One thing I took a picture of, I'll try to post later, was a frozen meet and greet they had set up in Fantasy land, complete with plastic Olaf. I saw the set and the roped off queue, so thought I'd hang around and see what happened. About five or six CMs were buzzing around, but no guests. I saw some people walk by and look quizzically at what this might be. The pic I snapped was about five minutes before Anna and Elsa came out. I thought it was amusing because the queue was completely empty. Later I saw maybe five or six families waiting, two obviously westerners. I guess Frozen is not as bit of a hit in Asia.

Spent some time seeing the shows this time. The Golden mickeys is really a well done show and Festival of the Lion King is fantastic. Saw the Paint the Night parade for the first time. The floats are jaw dropping, but the parade is a bit short. Could use a few more. The flights of Fantasy parade was rained out. I've seen it before and it is great. Superb floats. I ended up trapped in Tarzan's treehouse during the parade, which was actually kind of cool to look out over the park from atop the tree during the rain.

A few things that concern me some about the Shanghai park will be the cultural behavior of the mainlanders. In HKDL, it's mainly HK residents, expats, Indian and Japanese tourists. Not so many mainlanders. The mainland Chinese stick out like a sore thumb. The Chinese culture of pushing and shoving to the front of a line was evident from a few mainlanders and will be interesting to see how it plays out in SDL. Also, the spitting, public snot blowing and tossing of garbage. I went to the Shanghai zoo last summer. It's a beautiful, historic zoo and piece of property in the heart of Shanghai. I could barely walk without tripping over literal mounds of garbage. Every animal pen was full of food and garbage thrown at the animals by the locals. And every water feature you could almost walk across due to the number of plastic water bottles thrown in. Disney better have an army of cleaning crew planned for SDL.

Iwerks64

A couple of things I forgot in my report on HKDL.

No, no one was humming "Hakuna Matata" when leaving festival of the Lion King.

For Small World, I forgot to mention how much I enjoy seeing the Dinseyland facade outside and watching the clock chime. Great show. The flip side is how much I dislike how they shoehorned characters into the ride. Some make no sense. Especially scenes like Little Mermaid (where exactly in the world do little children live under the sea?). And why is Pocohontas in Canada? The addition of the characters signature musical strains blended in also detracts from the Small World theme (although some may find that a benefit). But the characters seem to confuse the message of the ride. Is it a message of the children of the world living in harmonious peace or a game of Where's Waldo? On one of my rides, two little girls were pointing out all the characters. Of course they were westerners. Not so much for the locals.

On merchandise. There are some few land specific items, mostly in Mystic Point, but in general the same homogenization of product exists where you'll find Lightning McQueen in the Space Mountain gift shop, Iron Man toys in Fantasyland, and princesses in Adventureland. In January, I did buy a very cool replica Mystic Manor music box for what amounts to about US $30. Very well done and plays the nice Danny Elfment theme when opened. I use it to keep my cuff links and studs in. But one telling thing as I went through all the shops is that very little merchandise appears to be moving. People are browsing and a few souvenirs being bought, but not the rabid acquisition we see at WDW, and most merchandise is not being bought by the Chinese. @WDW1974 is right, "they're just not that into you".

Food in general is very good. No problem walking up to any restaurant at any time and getting sat at table service, or short waits at QS. But if you want western food, the choices are slim. If you want Dim Sum or curry prawns or bento box, there are lots of choices. I've eaten at a lot of the different place in the park. This time I had a nice Cornish game hen with Haricot verts at the Corner Cafe on Main Street. Service was a bit spotty as they forgot the mushroom truffle cream soup, and I had to remind them. It was excellent though.

But overall, the park is filled with happy people just enjoying a well themed, clean and well run park. The IP seems less important.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom