A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Great post. I've been doing business in China for many years. From vendors to JVs to wholly owned factories. I've had to deal with the CCP on numerous occasions. Anyone who thinks that they do not have a very carefully crafted very long term plan to grow their own middle class to buy from their own factories and not simply be "the world's factory", is very naive. Our own economy has become beholden to this low-cost outsourced manufacturing that cannot maintain forever as we chase low cost around the world. Eventually everyone has to pay the piper.

Yes exactly and the plan is to supply China's internal consumption needs from CHINA, Not the US or EU, The US will pay dearly for its 'cheap goods' addiction.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Absolutely. China is a land of contradictions. You're also correct about Wall Street's version of China. Before manufacturing went full throttle in China with all of our nick knacks, textiles (on the way out of China and onward to cheaper places as we speak), and other goods, I remember that many things from China were of great quality and the products usually were related to Chinese heritage. I remember going to Gump's in SF as a child and I was always impressed by the Chinese dolls and art that they featured.

Two more side-notes related to the above: The Chinese have a plan. The communist party knows that they have to deal with internal matters to prevent any uprisings. Environmental issues are being tackled and they know that even losing sizable portions of international manufacturing business to lower cost other Pacific nations is something they can absorb because long-term they want to create a more balanced economy that has consumer spending at a much higher rate of overall GDP. Their answer is that with a billion people, they can have a self-sustaining model of internal manufacturing and consumer spending. That might sound odd to people in a country where 70% of GDP is consumer spending and nearly all everyday purchases from clothes and toys are imports, but it can be done. China with it's manufacturing might has the ability to pick and choose its trade barriers and tariffs to protect itself enough internally to prevent a consumer economy that then looks elsewhere to even lower manufacturing costs.

I had a conversation the other day with an associate who was wondering why our company has been under cost pressure on the wholesale end for the past few years even though there had been a glut of product and the raw goods prices had actually fallen in this area. Quite simply, it's about exactly as what you're saying, a rising middle class. A series of minimum wage hikes that will be continuing and it's being passed along from those manufacturers as they work to build the Chinese consumer economy. Back in the States, due to the ruthlessness of how corporate America works today and the dog eat dog nature, we have to essentially eat these per unit pricing increases because if you move product numbers outside of the range that the the small and medium sized business killing mammoth corporations have, you can't play ball. By doing so, our bottom line is hit and that's less profits that can go around to our team, which in-turn is another loss of useful disposable income that our GDP needs in order to grow. When upwards of 3/4 of your country's economic growth is predicated upon goods being bought (and much of those being imports), it's not a spectacular long-term vision.

Great post, One of the biggest problems is Wall St is playing checkers (short term mentality) HFT is just one of the many manifestations of this (they used to call it 'Front Running') while the Chinese play multidimensional chess.

If you buy machine parts you will now see that many of them now come from India and Bangladesh as they are now the 'low cost supplier' of parts of uncertain quality.

Nubs70

Great post. I've been doing business in China for many years. From vendors to JVs to wholly owned factories. I've had to deal with the CCP on numerous occasions. Anyone who thinks that they do not have a very carefully crafted very long term plan to grow their own middle class to buy from their own factories and not simply be "the world's factory", is very naive. Our own economy has become beholden to this low-cost outsourced manufacturing that cannot maintain forever as we chase low cost around the world. Eventually everyone has to pay the piper.
The Chinese do understand the cost of labor. This is why they are undertaking a huge amount of FDI in Africa. Once China is not the preferred source of cheap labor, the focus will become Africa with an established Chinese influence.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The Chinese do understand the cost of labor. This is why they are undertaking a huge amount of FDI in Africa. Once China is not the preferred source of cheap labor, the focus will become Africa with an established Chinese influence.

China is actually securing raw materials in Africa, The interesting bit is the facilities the Chinese set up all have detachments of the PLA providing 'security' with a full TO&E for each detachment which so happens to be 'combat ready'.

The African governments will wake up to a nasty surprise one day when China decides the governments are no longer 'useful' to China and the countries become a de-facto Chinese province overnight as the Chinese forces rout the poorly trained and supplied native troops.

At that point Wall St will have truly reaped the whirlwind, Advice to the wise learn Mandarin ASAP.

asianway

Reporters. Real reporters. They find sources. They dig them up. They don't ask on the Twitter (see Soup & Salad Sandra).

There are so many angles here: from the missing/unaccounted for $800 million ... to the graft in China and how it may be affecting SDL ... to the fact Shendi has, of yet, not allowed Disney to release ONE photograph of Bob Iger, Tom Staggs or Mickey Mouse on the SDL site ... to Mike Crawford and his family 'escaping' from Shanghai and Disney not even acknowledging it in a press release ... to the scrubbing of the HuffPo Op-Ed with Willow Bay as a Senior Editor etc.

If a reporter who covers TWDC for the WSJ doesn't see any stories there and can't find sources to talk to and things to write about those subjects, then he's a total fraud who simply is in the pocket of Disney (his Tweets about Willow Bay's Oscar dress -- he's a financial writer mind you, or his appearance on the carpet for the Tomorrowland premiere ... would give pause, but I think pushing people to either do their jobs or show their true colors is a noble thing.)
You're too hard on Sandy-D-Wayne just did a hard hitting Disneybounding story he gathered via twitter

Cesar R M

Well, in Meryl's defense... She wasn't lying. Walt WAS all of those things.
many persons were interviewed and proved this was false.

But then, anyone from the 1920's to 1940's wouldn't survive with the "social justice" we see now.
Because people complain they get "triggered" by anything now.
triggered.jpg

ThemeParkTraveller

Why is it that Finding Nemo is consistently put in lands that are supposed to be about the future?

Except WDSP and AK, of course.

I have mixed feelings about this, but I think it fits a bit better than in Tomorrowland or Future World. Port Discovery has always had a retro-futuristic theme, especially with the turn of the century trolley running through it. Plus, there are already fish-themed subs in the port. ;)

PORT-DISCOVERY.jpg

ItlngrlBella

@Horizons1 : Ben Fritz is a writer at WSJ who covers the entertainment industry and wdw1974 mentioned some shady shenanigans he's aware of regarding SDL and encouraged us to contact Ben Fritz so it gets picked up at WSJ and hopefully other western media outlets.

It amazes me that TWDC is one of the premiere and most closely-followed stocks with a wide shareholder base, yet nothing has been reported about the challenges at SDL.

Mike S

So far, WDI has created:

Finding Nemo: The Musical
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Turtle Talk with Crush (at DLR and TDR)
Finding Nemo suites at Art of Animation
Crush Coaster

and now we're getting a simulator ride themed to the same movie/franchise.

Do you think they've milked this property enough?
Not till the cow is dry. With Finding Dory coming out I don't think it's surprising that yet another attraction is being built somewhere.
image.jpg

Cesar R M

So far, WDI has created:

Finding Nemo: The Musical
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Turtle Talk with Crush (at DLR and TDR)
Finding Nemo suites at Art of Animation
Crush Coaster

and now we're getting a simulator ride themed to the same movie/franchise.

Do you think they've milked this property enough?
I think the Nemo milking is only but a tiny speck of what Frozen will be XD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom