A Spirited Perfect Ten

Iwerks64

Spirited Bedtime Video:

Just played this clip for my fanboi minions as I ready for slumber:

It is very recent report in CHINESE media on Shanghai Disneyland's development.

Still nothing in western media, but I am sure that will change ... maybe by opening day?

Interesting clip. I had one of my people here translate it for me. A general puff piece. States opening early next year and with 390 acres, enough land for phase 2 and phase 3. And mingpao.com is a Hong Kong news site.

I don't know about anyone else, but that Toy Story hotel is hideously ugly. Looks like a massive eyesore to me. Your mileage may vary.:)

Absimilliard

King Kong is supposed to change that (and I hope Nintendo as well). Doesn't seem like much will change between now and when it opens next summer. Looks like a fun ride and the physical effects and AA's are cool but the CG looks, well, let's just say it's no Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. That could just be the video though.

I am hopeful and looking forward to a return of large sets and physical effects at Universal. I view their screen obsession as if someone went to the Circus and saw a human cannonball act (the 3-D screens on Spiderman). He then returned home and proceed to do a show that consist only of... Human Cannonballs. He does not realise what made the original Circus show great was the combination of everything, not just the Human Cannonball.

Most of the 3-D animation in the promo video for Battle for Metropolis does not appear to be from the ride. I was told it was very nice throughout the ride. The one scene I am looking forward to: the encounter with the Joker AA. Appears to have perfect flow, set placement, effects and car movements in the video.

TP2000

Spirited Bedtime Video:

Just played this clip for my fanboi minions as I ready for slumber:

It is very recent report in CHINESE media on Shanghai Disneyland's development.

Still nothing in western media, but I am sure that will change ... maybe by opening day?

Thanks for the video. Very interesting.

A few thoughts:

• Gawd that smog is awful. I remember when LA still had smog in the 1970's and it was never as bad as that. That looks beyond smog actually, and like just plain smoke.
  • Remember when they said this park was going to open in November '15? From the progress, or lack thereof, it would appear as though a May '16 opening date is very, very optimistic.
  • It's awfully flat there. The smog choking out the mid-distance doesn't help, but it's just flat. With the lack of trees and development, it makes pancake-flat Orlando look like rolling hills in comparison.
  • When their economy implodes, and it will, things will get very bad there. Good luck to 'em.

alphac2005

The problem is we've made ourselves China's ******* (female dogs) ... or -- at the least -- we've entered into a toxic co-dependent relationship that seems to help us both, but actually harms both our people but helps everyone who doesn't need it, from criminal politicians in China getting billions in kickbacks to criminals on Wall Street defending the practices and shilling them for American corporations that have decimated the American middle class and seek to now take on China's growing one.

At the risk of sounding like I'm speaking out of both sides of my mouth, I love China. In some ways, I feel like it's a second home. The culture, history, food and people just make it such a fascinating place. But there's a hidden irony in all of this, though. People here like to talk about how everything is made in China, the truth is The New China is a Creation of Wall Street.

America created the Chinese middle class because they asked ''why should we have to settle for a portion of our middle class buyers when their middle class is much larger than our entire population?' ...

Absolutely. China is a land of contradictions. You're also correct about Wall Street's version of China. Before manufacturing went full throttle in China with all of our nick knacks, textiles (on the way out of China and onward to cheaper places as we speak), and other goods, I remember that many things from China were of great quality and the products usually were related to Chinese heritage. I remember going to Gump's in SF as a child and I was always impressed by the Chinese dolls and art that they featured.

Two more side-notes related to the above: The Chinese have a plan. The communist party knows that they have to deal with internal matters to prevent any uprisings. Environmental issues are being tackled and they know that even losing sizable portions of international manufacturing business to lower cost other Pacific nations is something they can absorb because long-term they want to create a more balanced economy that has consumer spending at a much higher rate of overall GDP. Their answer is that with a billion people, they can have a self-sustaining model of internal manufacturing and consumer spending. That might sound odd to people in a country where 70% of GDP is consumer spending and nearly all everyday purchases from clothes and toys are imports, but it can be done. China with it's manufacturing might has the ability to pick and choose its trade barriers and tariffs to protect itself enough internally to prevent a consumer economy that then looks elsewhere to even lower manufacturing costs.

I had a conversation the other day with an associate who was wondering why our company has been under cost pressure on the wholesale end for the past few years even though there had been a glut of product and the raw goods prices had actually fallen in this area. Quite simply, it's about exactly as what you're saying, a rising middle class. A series of minimum wage hikes that will be continuing and it's being passed along from those manufacturers as they work to build the Chinese consumer economy. Back in the States, due to the ruthlessness of how corporate America works today and the dog eat dog nature, we have to essentially eat these per unit pricing increases because if you move product numbers outside of the range that the the small and medium sized business killing mammoth corporations have, you can't play ball. By doing so, our bottom line is hit and that's less profits that can go around to our team, which in-turn is another loss of useful disposable income that our GDP needs in order to grow. When upwards of 3/4 of your country's economic growth is predicated upon goods being bought (and much of those being imports), it's not a spectacular long-term vision.

Mike S

I am hopeful and looking forward to a return of large sets and physical effects at Universal. I view their screen obsession as if someone went to the Circus and saw a human cannonball act (the 3-D screens on Spiderman). He then returned home and proceed to do a show that consist only of... Human Cannonballs. He does not realise what made the original Circus show great was the combination of everything, not just the Human Cannonball.

Most of the 3-D animation in the promo video for Battle for Metropolis does not appear to be from the ride. I was told it was very nice throughout the ride. The one scene I am looking forward to: the encounter with the Joker AA. Appears to have perfect flow, set placement, effects and car movements in the video.
To be fair large sets never really went away. That's one of the best things about Gringotts, the amazing sets. Physical effects and AA's? Yes.

lazyboy97o

For Small World, I forgot to mention how much I enjoy seeing the Dinseyland facade outside and watching the clock chime. Great show. The flip side is how much I dislike how they shoehorned characters into the ride. Some make no sense. Especially scenes like Little Mermaid (where exactly in the world do little children live under the sea?). And why is Pocohontas in Canada? The addition of the characters signature musical strains blended in also detracts from the Small World theme (although some may find that a benefit). But the characters seem to confuse the message of the ride. Is it a message of the children of the world living in harmonious peace or a game of Where's Waldo? On one of my rides, two little girls were pointing out all the characters. Of course they were westerners. Not so much for the locals.
Disney touted the ride as a game of hide and go seek before opening. That line was ditched when Al Lutz broke the news about the Disneyland changes and somehow Disney thought lying was the best way to counter.

Iwerks64

Absolutely. China is a land of contradictions. You're also correct about Wall Street's version of China. Before manufacturing went full throttle in China with all of our nick knacks, textiles (on the way out of China and onward to cheaper places as we speak), and other goods, I remember that many things from China were of great quality and the products usually were related to Chinese heritage. I remember going to Gump's in SF as a child and I was always impressed by the Chinese dolls and art that they featured.

Two more side-notes related to the above: The Chinese have a plan. The communist party knows that they have to deal with internal matters to prevent any uprisings. Environmental issues are being tackled and they know that even losing sizable portions of international manufacturing business to lower cost other Pacific nations is something they can absorb because long-term they want to create a more balanced economy that has consumer spending at a much higher rate of overall GDP. Their answer is that with a billion people, they can have a self-sustaining model of internal manufacturing and consumer spending. That might sound odd to people in a country where 70% of GDP is consumer spending and nearly all everyday purchases from clothes and toys are imports, but it can be done. China with it's manufacturing might has the ability to pick and choose its trade barriers and tariffs to protect itself enough internally to prevent a consumer economy that then looks elsewhere to even lower manufacturing costs.

I had a conversation the other day with an associate who was wondering why our company has been under cost pressure on the wholesale end for the past few years even though there had been a glut of product and the raw goods prices had actually fallen in this area. Quite simply, it's about exactly as what you're saying, a rising middle class. A series of minimum wage hikes that will be continuing and it's being passed along from those manufacturers as they work to build the Chinese consumer economy. Back in the States, due to the ruthlessness of how corporate America works today and the dog eat dog nature, we have to essentially eat these per unit pricing increases because if you move product numbers outside of the range that the the small and medium sized business killing mammoth corporations have, you can't play ball. By doing so, our bottom line is hit and that's less profits that can go around to our team, which in-turn is another loss of useful disposable income that our GDP needs in order to grow. When upwards of 3/4 of your country's economic growth is predicated upon goods being bought (and much of those being imports), it's not a spectacular long-term vision.

Great post. I've been doing business in China for many years. From vendors to JVs to wholly owned factories. I've had to deal with the CCP on numerous occasions. Anyone who thinks that they do not have a very carefully crafted very long term plan to grow their own middle class to buy from their own factories and not simply be "the world's factory", is very naive. Our own economy has become beholden to this low-cost outsourced manufacturing that cannot maintain forever as we chase low cost around the world. Eventually everyone has to pay the piper.

Iwerks64

I liked the characters in Small World out in Anaheim. Didn't really bother me at all.
I haven't been to Anaheim since they added the characters there, so I can't say if it's the same, or if they did the same thing with the music. Some characters were fine and unobtrusive (Pinnochio in Italy, Pan in the UK, Mowgli in India). Others seemed forced. My main point with HKDL, is that it was unnecessary. The locals don't care.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom