A Spirited Perfect Ten

lazyboy97o

Then why is Disneyland printed on it? It's not just shirt tags, it's everything they've done under the "One Disney" philososophy. The "Disney Parks" branding, bland cups and napkins, etc. This should help get the point across.
View attachment 93447
DisneyParks and One Disney are two different initiatives. DisneyParks was public facing, related mostly to branding and has pretty much died except as a name for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. One Disney came after and was inward facing, aimed at cutting costs by removing duplicate work in California and Florida.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Extras While I Wait:

Have the Twits been busy on Captain Citrus? Yep, move over Orange Bird, the state of FL's remaining citrus growers have a new character coming ...a super-hero called Captain Citrus (seriously, who could ever make this stuff up?!!)
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/captain-citrus-gets-animated/33080814

Yes, he is from the good folks at Marvel. I gotta change the avatar, right @Lee? #cultofcitrus

So, Boathouse gets DDP'd. No shock at all there. But CM discounts? Yeah, I'd pay $31 for a great filet.

Anyone here going to be at the MK Saturday morning at 4:15?

I usually don't make fun of trip reports (and I won't name the individual), but someone sent me a report by a Lifestyler on his/her first visits to HKDL and TDR (and the cities they exist in) and ... yeah, it was painful to read.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's not how it works. All of the operating participants (including the non-Disney Epcot Restaurants, Yak and Yeti, and all of Downtown Disney) are "made whole" with the difference between menu price and the DDP rates. As a matter of fact, even the Disney-owned restaurants are covered in that regard, since the restaurant managers aren't held responsible for the promotions that the marketing and pricing guys put out there.

So you're telling me the DDP program will pay the restaurant the full menu price of what the people ordered when the account is settled? I don't believe it for a minute.

Disney I'm sure doesn't reimburse them for CM discounts, etc.. so why would they 'pay' full menu price and not some contracted rate?

If DDP covered the gap, the only impact they would have on the menus would be deciding what DDP would pay for or not.. and how that may impact the distribution of what was bought in the restaurant. Yet the trends in the resturants have been far more impactful... from pricing, homogenization, and simplified menus.

As a matter of fact, even the Disney-owned restaurants are covered in that regard, since the restaurant managers aren't held responsible for the promotions that the marketing and pricing guys put out there.

What does that matter as long as their DDP reimbursement is consistent... they don't care what Disney charges for the DDP as long as what they get paid is predictable. 'marketing' is impacting what they collect for DDP revenues, not what they pay out.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Spirited Monday Quickees:

Word from a very well-placed individual is to expect Shanghai Disneyland to have a higher daily entry fee than EVERY Disney park in the world with the exception of the US Parks. I don't have an exact one-day number yet, but in the neighborhood of $80 a day. That is a VERY high number in the mainland.

Here's an impressive couple of pics from inside Shanghai's new Disney Store:
http://hk.on.cc/cn/bkn/cnt/news/20150517/bkncn-20150517215001244-0517_05011_001_cn.html?refer=fn2
http://hk.on.cc/cn/bkn/cnt/news/20150517/bkncn-20150517215001244-0517_05011_001_cn.html?refer=fn2

Boy, that 'model' of Storybook Castle sure is impressive, isn't it? You think they're reinforcing the idea that Disney is simply generic western-style children's entertainment?

To @Iwerks64, I'd love to have your HKDL observations/thoughts on this thread when you are able. I'm also pretty certain that if you had business on the very street that is now passing through the Shanghai Disneyland resort, my guess is that you likely could get a tour out at the site. It might be worth your time. Again, I'm sure I could get a tour of the site, no matter how much some high-level individuals have personal animus toward me. What do we both have in common? Neither of us works for TWDC.

Don't want to waste much time/space by talking about it, but it is a very positive development to see DLR-specific BRANDED cups and the like in Anaheim. Any O-Town BloggingWhores out there yet?

How many more weeks before Age of Ultron is old news? Nothing against the film, which I haven't seen yet, but 'summer films' that have essentially wrapped their big money runs by Memorial Day are not summer tent poles. They are spring tent poles.

Did I book another Disney Cruise today? I'll have to ask Angie about that! :D:cool::)

Hope to pop back tonight!

What an unimpressive two pictures, though I'm not surprised.

PhotoDave219

Spirited Extras While I Wait:

Have the Twits been busy on Captain Citrus? Yep, move over Orange Bird, the state of FL's remaining citrus growers have a new character coming ...a super-hero called Captain Citrus (seriously, who could ever make this stuff up?!!)
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/captain-citrus-gets-animated/33080814

Yes, he is from the good folks at Marvel. I gotta change the avatar, right @Lee? #cultofcitrus

So, Boathouse gets DDP'd. No shock at all there. But CM discounts? Yeah, I'd pay $31 for a great filet.

Anyone here going to be at the MK Saturday morning at 4:15?

I usually don't make fun of trip reports (and I won't name the individual), but someone sent me a report by a Lifestyler on his/her first visits to HKDL and TDR (and the cities they exist in) and ... yeah, it was painful to read.

I'd love to read that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a tag. My wireless mouse has nothing to do with China, but it says "China" on the bottom. The Avengers has nothing to do with Mickey Mouse, but the credits cite Walt Disney Studios.

Maybe you're missing the point that the simple tag is a simple reminder of the initiative that brought about all the other stupidity? And is a simple measure showing how the whole thing has become more of a global machine vs a regional favorite? And is a constant reminder that the whole thing is a big freaking machine grinding away at what used to be things with personality and a human touch?

But hey... it makes the big P&R engine hum... so why would anyone be upset with it.. really.

alissafalco

Spirited Monday Quickees:

Word from a very well-placed individual is to expect Shanghai Disneyland to have a higher daily entry fee than EVERY Disney park in the world with the exception of the US Parks. I don't have an exact one-day number yet, but in the neighborhood of $80 a day. That is a VERY high number in the mainland.

Here's an impressive couple of pics from inside Shanghai's new Disney Store:

Boy, that 'model' of Storybook Castle sure is impressive, isn't it? You think they're reinforcing the idea that Disney is simply generic western-style children's entertainment?

To @Iwerks64, I'd love to have your HKDL observations/thoughts on this thread when you are able. I'm also pretty certain that if you had business on the very street that is now passing through the Shanghai Disneyland resort, my guess is that you likely could get a tour out at the site. It might be worth your time. Again, I'm sure I could get a tour of the site, no matter how much some high-level individuals have personal animus toward me. What do we both have in common? Neither of us works for TWDC.

Don't want to waste much time/space by talking about it, but it is a very positive development to see DLR-specific BRANDED cups and the like in Anaheim. Any O-Town BloggingWhores out there yet?

How many more weeks before Age of Ultron is old news? Nothing against the film, which I haven't seen yet, but 'summer films' that have essentially wrapped their big money runs by Memorial Day are not summer tent poles. They are spring tent poles.

Did I book another Disney Cruise today? I'll have to ask Angie about that! :D:cool::)

Hope to pop back tonight!
Not bad, it looks similar to the Disney store in Time Square. I took these when I was there 2 weeks ago
image.jpg

image.jpg

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So you're telling me the DDP program will pay the restaurant the full menu price of what the people ordered when the account is settled? I don't believe it for a minute.

Disney I'm sure doesn't reimburse them for CM discounts, etc.. so why would they 'pay' full menu price and not some contracted rate?
Operating participants don't have to offer any cast discount whatsoever. They do so at their own expense. What I'm telling you is fact, not conjecture. No, I can't prove it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The Huffington Post has published an article on our favorite multinational media conglomerate earlier today. It's primary concern is if Disney is Marvel and Pixar and Lucasfilm and ESPN is Disney still special or relevant? This could be called an assault on Iger The Acquierer's legacy at TWDC. The author makes a shout out to our beloved @wdwmagic too.

http://huffpost.com/us/entry/6520290
Disney CEO Readies Magic Carpet for Exit
You know them well. Perhaps too well.

The Fab Five and their friends.

From Kermit the Frog to Buzz Lightyear. From Iron Man to Darth Vader.

Among the stable of American cultural touchstones, they stand emblematic as a cross-generational binder of a people and a product. More a symbol of America in its minted-by-Wall-Street and cemented-on-Main-Street role as a global ambassadorthan Lady Liberty herself, the Walt Disney Company has risen from a cartoon maker of its eponymous animator to a warehouse of media brands unrivaled in its sheer breadth.

And it is that last part that might well be a big part of why the 'remaking' of Disney under the direction of outgoing Chairman and CEO Robert A. "Bob" Iger may well signal the decline of the brand itself. Mickey Mouse is Disney. Minnie Mouse and Donald Duck are Disney. As are Pluto and Goofy. But, once we move beyond the endearingly drawn and meticulously marketed page jumpers sketched by Disney -- the man and not the brand -- and his Nine Old Men, the marquee becomes harder to define as being Disney.

Such was the intent of Bob Iger when he succeeded Michael D. Eisner in his transition from one-time weatherman to programming executive and now chieftain of a media empire. A noted manager and delegator, two defining words not in sync with the traditional studio head, Iger went about acquiring content creators as the steward of America's premier producer of content that defied the limits of age and transcended cultures.

With success unrivaled, it is hard to conceive how the man who delivered for Wall Street, for the financial community, could have somehow diminished the brand or worse. Then again, it is often difficult to analyze the climb from the summit. Still, the fall is a given.

"It's in our best interest to put some of the old rules aside and create new ones and follow the consumer -- what the consumer wants and where the consumer wants to go," said Mr. Iger back in 2005.

Disney, Walt Disney, understood the people and the product. He knew of the wants of the consumer, often before they themselves knew, and the needs of the machine of manufacture. He also instilled a sense of significance at his company of the work being done and for the workers, or cast members in Disney jargon, doing it.

As Mr. Eisner said to the Harvard Business Review in February of 2000:

[A] few years ago, I was walking around Walt Disney World, midnight, by myself. I got to a pavilion that was being renovated. I figured I would climb over the barricade and see what was going on. I started walking around, and pretty fast a junior security officer came toward me with a flashlight. I introduced myself. Luckily he had heard of me. So, we got talking, and he knew where all the plans were. He wasn't involved in the construction at all, but he knew all about it. He was interested. He cared. He went through every page of the plans with me. He knew everything, and he really was passionate and intelligent about the project. It was obvious to me that this guy was special.
Now, while it can rightfully be said that times change, the life cycle of a brand is dictated by its ability to deliver the product welcomed by a wanting marketplace. When that product drifts into territory foreign to the consumer, the once reliable revenue streams created by these individual consumers will follow.

To date, the Walt Disney Company has largely drawn from the remainder. A sizable crowd, no doubt. But, there is a difference between the toe-dipper and the marathoner. For years, for generations, Disney has been the ultimate beneficiary of the latter. Successively, without pause, families turned to Disney for their prepackaged entertainment of all sorts.

And as Ron Suskind -- whose son Owen is autistic -- documented in his book Life, Animated about piercing the autism spectrum through the dialogue and songs of Disney's animated movies, so strong is the bond between the product and the people that Disney's content has even been adapted for therapy.

Whether speaking of an outing to the multiplex to catch the latest from its feature animation division, raiding the store aisles of its consumer products division's offerings or making that pilgrimage to Walt Disney World or Disneyland, the Walt Disney Company has delivered without fail.

In the cyber world, Disney has built a fountainhead of near-endless adulation that runs perilously close to cult status. While in the world outside of its electronic confines, families have even migrated from points afar to build "the Disney Driven life" centered at or adjacent to Disney's parks and resorts.

But, perhaps as the bellwether of the new century and new economy, even among these most loyal and forgiving of fans of all that represents the iconic Disney brand a splintering of sorts has challenged whether Disney is deserving of such praise and devotion.

Drawn from a report co-authored by this contributor:

Starting in the mid-1990s, superfanAl Lutz became a prominent voice on the Disney brand as the Burbank-based media behemoth increasingly relied on the cash heavy theme parks and resorts as a backstop for failures and deficiencies in other segments of the company. Using at first the MousePlanet.com imprimatur and later that of MiceChat.com, Lutz championed the vaunted Disney of Walt's day.Delivering management changes at the parks, specifically in Anaheim at the industry making Disneyland, Mr. Lutz became a well-known personality and pundit of the Disney product from the consumers' lens. With that, for the first time, Disney found itself being questioned not by Wall Street but by Main Street.
Not long after Mr. Lutz launched into the Disney-verse, Stephen Frearson, an import from the United Kingdom, premiered wdwmagic.com -- a Walt Disney World centered site. And around both, communities grew and conversations were had. Still today, these conversations occur with regularity. Only, the dollars spent on Disney by these most devoted of fans have dwindled.

Visit any one of these sites today and you will likely find discussions ranging from the minutia of Disney's parks and resorts to the import facing the Walt Disney Company with no apparent successor in place for the Wall Street-maker and Main Street-breaker Bob Iger. Who, somewhat ironically, was ushered into his role as CEO by Walt's nephew, the late Roy E. Disney, after the twenty-one year tenure of Mr. Eisner.

Now, as the play is on for that post, Disney has few inside candidates for the role. Disney CFO Jay Rasulo, an often puckish glad-hander, and Parks & Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs, an oddly waifish man of anemic personality, are the only two names in the already full throttle effort to succeed Iger. In 2010, they actually swapped jobs. Yet, with pause, many media types note that Disney experienced the greatest period of growth in the company's history when it last went outside of the company to fill the top spot.

That was in 1984, when Sid Bass and Roy Disney brought Michael Eisner on board along with Frank Wells and Jeffrey Katzenberg.

In spite of his effortless transition from an entertainment executive into an 'Uncle Walt'-like figure and widely admired media head, Mr. Eisner was ultimately dismissed from a company he is both credited with having saved and criticized for having somehow diminished. And yet, it is Bob Iger who has almost certainly done the latter by approaching a creative powerhouse like a floor manager at a manufacturing camp on the outskirts of Shenzhen.

In his successor, it may now be time, for only the second time since its founding in 1923 as the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio, for the Walt Disney Company to close the door on rotating internal candidates into this role and bring back the perspective only an outsider can deliver.

As to the consumer, whose focus is not on slick and sappy marketing but the actual product delivered, Disney is not a jumble or inventory of creative content. It is not a Time Warner or a Comcast. Disney has the liability and the gift of being Disney.

Only these days, more of its most zealous followers are straying as they question whether Disney remains Disney. Whether the company that delivered Steamboat Willie and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs has any connection -- any sense of heritage -- with a company spitting out popcorn and pop culture products under the shingles of Marvel Entertainment and Lucasfilm placed upon a castle built by a man named Walt Disney.

Or, for that matter, a studio stuck in a cycle of sequels named Pixar led by the equally entrenched John Lasseter and Ed Catmull.

"Sometimes you just have to be there with your people. You have to be in the same room with them, look them in the eyes, hear their voices," said former Disney CEO Eisner.

As his successor Mr. Iger said at the Vanity Fair New Establishment Summit held just last fall of the typical Disney consumer, "We have no idea who they are. We don't know what they are willing to spend, what they like and what they don't like."

Walt knew. Michael too.

Gary Snyder is a member of the Redstone family, whose company, National Amusements, owns Viacom and CBS, among other media assets. He is an advisor on Western media and culture to China.

I am wondering if this week finally puts in clear view why the above author was censored by Willow Bay Iger, even if the piece above wasn't actually the targeted piece. I just read it for the first time in months and I admit it still is a fascinating read.

Of course, even Zenia Mucha's predecessor, John Dreyer, thought so too.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hey, Spirit, if you ever run into Matthew Weiner, tell him Mad Men ran half-a-season too long.

I've not been a fan of the last few episodes, and I can't say the finale was any better. I won't be shocked if the reviews are mixed, but I think most reviewers, if you gave them a truth serum, would admit to being disappointed.

Overall, it really feels like the series that got away from Weiner.

I'll be short and sweet on this since, as you know, I never could get into the show. A fellow MAGICal fanboi friend told me how the show ended last night. ... I won't be watching it down the line. I tried and beyond the look of the era, it never caught my attention, let alone kept it.

I haven't seen Matt in at least two years now, but I will be thrilled to not have to fake (yes, I can do the Hollywood BS fakeness when I have to, I just don't like to ... unless I'm well lubricated.) liking the show. I probably enjoyed the episode of Mike and Molly that was just on as background noise more than any of the 4-5 episodes of MM that I saw.

But, sorry, it disappointed you. I've had more than a few great TV loves end with more of a whimper than a bang.

Speaking of TV (and even Disney), but kudos to the cast of General Hospital, which has aired its last two episodes live (with no safety net) in three time zones. Other than a very obvious 'blood pack' before a shooting death, I thought the production values and acting were truly top notch. It ain't easy working without a net, and today's TV actors aren't used to it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Has Lou ever come out and publicly denied getting freebies? Or are you saying it's more of lying by omission?
Because he posts plenty of photos and videos of the free food he gobbles up at the preview events. He doesn't hide that at all.

But he also doesn't post about his bill for airfare and accommodations at Aulani, which I'm sure we know who picked up the tab on that.

I don't see what the big deal would be for him to get officially put on payroll. I think he'd still continue to grow his following. Heck, it might be even greater if he was the official podcast of WDW.

I don't think people trust him because they believe him to be some independent source of WDW info. So why not just set him up in the real WDW radio studio at DHS and call it a day?

It is much better for Lou to NOT be on the payroll. He is much better to Disney appearing to be an 'independent' Disney lover (yes, you'd have to be brain-damaged to think he's doing it just for love and never sees anything wrong, but many people are flat out as dumb as dirt today).

As to just the trip to Aulani alone, Soup & Salad Sandra should have nailed him on the fact he was flown out and put up on Disney's dime. But she perpetuated the myth that Lou has never taken as much as a free cookie or cupcake (I think that will be my new nickname for Dr. Blondie!) from The Mouse.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I am wondering if this week finally puts in clear view why the above author was censored by Willow Bay Iger, even if the piece above wasn't actually the targeted piece. I just read it for the first time in months and I admit it still is a fascinating read.

I have to agree, that piece is poignant. Even more so now. It's hard to dismiss that piece in light of things then and now. The quote from Iger about the consumers, "We have no idea who they are. We don't know what they are willing to spend, what they like and what they don't like.". I guess those folks with the iPads taking surveys are make work jobs....?

*1023*

Lee

Adventurer

Seeing that reminds me of something...

A few months ago, when the whole HuffPo/Gary Snyder episode first began, I received an interesting PM.
It was from a gentleman named Matt Lemas, the managing editor of the Daily Trojan at USC. Mr. Lemas was looking into the whole affair and Willow Bay's connection to it and wondered if I could be of assistance. Apparently he joined this site as part of his investigation.

I'm curious to know if anyone else here has been contacted, by Mr. Lemas or anyone else, about this.

Interesting that the USC paper was investigating Willow Bay like that. I had heard that the situation had raised some eyebrows out there, and this would seem to confirm that.

Nemo14

Seeing that reminds me of something...

A few months ago, when the whole HuffPo/Gary Snyder episode first began, I received an interesting PM.
It was from a gentleman named Matt Lemas, the managing editor of the Daily Trojan at USC. Mr. Lemas was looking into the whole affair and Willow Bay's connection to it and wondered if I could be of assistance. Apparently he joined this site as part of his investigation.

I'm curious to know if anyone else here has been contacted, by Mr. Lemas or anyone else, about this.

Interesting that the USC paper was investigating Willow Bay like that. I had heard that the whole affair had raised some eyebrows out there, and this would seem to confirm that.
I talked to a reporter friend of mine here in RI about it all, and although he himself didn't have the inclination to pursue it much farther, he did mention that he knew a few people who would. I haven't heard from any of them though.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I hope it doesn't end as badly for Iger as it did for a family I know that owned a business there - they were basically held hostage within the factory for 2 weeks by vendors and their own employees. They escaped during the night in the trunk of a car:

http://www.ptonline.com/blog/post/w...-to-western-companies-doing-business-in-china

Insane.

No, it won't. Because Disney is too big and the project to important (but not nearly as important over there as it is over here or as Iger will claim to his followers on Wall Street ... again, I'd love it if a few of you emailed the Wall Street Journal 's Ben Fritz about any of the Disney/China topics we've discussed here. He's a tool ... but that doesn't mean he can't be manipulated either.)

But some of what was mentioned in the story above certainly comes through when you are there. The Chinese treated me like royalty every time I worked there. But I also never had a doubt that there was a pervasive racism/nationalism at play just below the surface, much less so in Hong Kong, obviously. But I'd often invite my workers to go out and very rarely did they wish to socialize outside the work place. I recall a celebratory party at the conclusion of the Beijing Games at a very western upscale bar and while most of my team came, the Chinese sorta stayed all together in a room in the back. ... China is just a land of contrasts, as cliche as that sounds. And most people, even people doing business there, don't fully grasp it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom