A Spirited Perfect Ten

the.dreamfinder

Seeing that reminds me of something...

A few months ago, when the whole HuffPo/Gary Snyder episode first began, I received an interesting PM.
It was from a gentleman named Matt Lemas, the managing editor of the Daily Trojan at USC. Mr. Lemas was looking into the whole affair and Willow Bay's connection to it and wondered if I could be of assistance. Apparently he joined this site as part of his investigation.

I'm curious to know if anyone else here has been contacted, by Mr. Lemas or anyone else, about this.

Interesting that the USC paper was investigating Willow Bay like that. I had heard that the situation had raised some eyebrows out there, and this would seem to confirm that.
Speak of the devil, Matt Lemas published an article on Bay last week on the 14th.
http://dailytrojan.com/2015/05/14/n...erg-strive-for-diversity-cross-collaboration/
New directors of Annenberg strive for diversity, cross-collaboration
It has now been eight months since Wallis Annenberg Hall first opened its doors, and along with the five-story, 88,000 square foot headquarters for the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, came the two women at its helm —Sarah Banet-Weiser, director of the School of Communications, and Willow Bay, director of the School of Journalism — who assumed their roles just before the start of the 2014-2015 academic year.

In their time since taking office, they’ve strived to steer the massive ship that is the Annenberg school into the unchartered waters of the rapidly changing media world.

“Every time you have a change in leadership, you have an opportunity to shift the direction of the department,” Banet-Weiser said.

TWO WORLDS, ONE TEAM

Banet-Weiser first arrived at the University Park campus as an assistant professor in 1999. In the 15 years since then, she quickly became an integral cog in the Annenberg machine, one that has worked to surge the school’s reputation alongside the greater university.

In 2014, when Banet-Weiser’s predecessor Larry Gross chose to step down after 11 years in the role, he specifically sought out Banet-Weister as his successor. Gross believed she synthesized the innate benefits of an inside hire with a passionate commitment to diversifying the communication program, and lauded her first year in the position.

“She’s doing a terrific job, which is what I expected,” Gross said. “Sarah came up through the ranks, she knows the school well, she knows all the players, and my part in all of this was realizing a few years ago she was the best person to do the job.”

And alongside the communication director’s appointment was Bay, an outside hire with two decades of broadcast experience as an anchor and correspondent on ABC, CNN and NBC, as well as an array of other cable networks. Most recently, she was a senior editor for the Huffington Post and a special correspondent for Bloomberg Television.

Upon her appointment, then USC Provost Elizabeth Garrett remarked that Bay’s arrival “…mark[ed] a moment of transformation for our School of Journalism.”

But the most transformative marker of Annenberg’s past year is the synergy that has formed between the school’s two department heads, something unexpected considering the differing worlds between the academia and practice.

“I didn’t know Willow, so I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to partner with someone and it’s just been working out really well,” Banet-Weiser said.

Sarah Banet Weiser (left) and WIllow Bay (right) believe they’ve brought a new energy to the Annenberg School, something they’ve noted parents, students and alumni have picked up on. (Mariya Dondonyan / Daily Trojan)

The two shared how parents, students and alumni alike have witnessed, caught on and fed off the two’s energy. Banet Weiser jokingly refers to their appearances together as the ‘Willow and Sarah Show,’ and Bay affectionately calls Banet-Weiser her “academic advisor,” a modest nod in deference to the latter’s longtime Annenberg career.

“Sarah and I very visibly function as a team,” Bay said. “And I think, frankly, faculty and students just see that partnership and that sense of team work and it becomes the norm. I think that’s the new norm here.”

COLLABORATION AMONG FRIENDS

Ushering in a new era at Annenberg with their burgeoning partnership, both Bay and Banet-Weiser sought to expand the cross collaboration between their two departments early on.

“When you have two new directors who like working together and have very similar ideas, it makes a lot more sense to do cross-school collaboration,” Banet-Weiser said.

The duo has formalized classes into the curriculum that combine the faculty and knowledge of both schools. One class, for example, Bay and Banet-Weiser will be jointly teaching: a Maymester course which will take a group of students to New York City to study and visit the centers of communication, journalism and public relations. Some of the proposed stops are ABC News, The New York Times and NBC Universal.

One class that concerned navigating media and news in the digital age, Bay said, was so successful that it will likely be part of the journalism school’s revamped undergraduate curriculum in the near future.

And in keeping with Annenberg’s first year of having two women directors, the two have placed considerable stress on diversity, developing the Institute for Diversity and Empowerment at Annenberg (IDEA), a research center which examines inclusivity across media industries.

“I think we’re a very visible framing of a new face and a more diverse face in what has traditionally been the senior leadership of the school,” Bay said.

Sarah Banet-Weiser and Willow Bay discussed with Daily Trojan Managing Editor Matt Lemas their first year as directors, specifically their burgeoning collaborations between the Journalism and Communication department. (Mariya Dondonyan / Daily Trojan)

The tandem between an outsider and an insider, they said, has often proved beneficial: Banet-Weiser’s background in Annenberg had her more equipped in navigating channels of hierarchy and knowing what is “allowed” within the school, while Bay has brought a new wave of thinking that Banet-Weiser says “challenge dominant traditions.”

Overall, the two shared that a feeling of great change has encapsulated the school, both in tangible and atmospheric means. Such a feeling can be expected in the face of new management and new infrastructure, but what has surprised them both was how willing their cohorts were to get beside them in this transformation, to follow the march of the school’s new direction toward media convergence and curriculum shifts.

“People were very eager to embrace change, more than I expected,” Bay said. “People were eager to seize the opportunity of the new building and the new program, to relinquish their fiefdoms, break through the silos of their individual platforms and collaborate.”

THE WORLD AHEAD

As Annenberg’s seniors graduate this week and enter the workforce, their degrees will undergo a more discerning eye. Banet-Weiser and Bay are confident recruiters will look favorably upon majors that they believe provide a transferrable skill set based in the most fundamental human activity: communication.

“Communication is seen as broad discipline because it is a broad discipline,” Banet-Weiser said. “But the opportunities it provides are very far reaching. It’s hard to brand communication, but the reasons why it’s hard to brand it as a discipline defines its richness.”

And the journalism world has faced an upheaval in the past decade, as print revenues sour and readers increasingly digest their news in rapidly changing ways. Media consumption is heavy through the use of computers, mobile and tablet, but often lacking in sufficient revenue. It has provided a consistent challenge for professional journalism schools to match their curriculum to this shifting media landscape, as well as prove to students and their parents that their school’s arsenal is a worthwhile investment.

Bay, however, is not scared. Confident in the degree’s worth, she boldly noted the benefits of a journalism degree: its skills of research, contextualization, verification, communication and dissemination to a global audience.

You need to tell me what that doesn’t prepare you to do in this world,” she said.

PhotoDave219

A few months ago, when the whole HuffPo/Gary Snyder episode first began, I received an interesting PM.
It was from a gentleman named Matt Lemas, the managing editor of the Daily Trojan at USC. Mr. Lemas was looking into the whole affair and Willow Bay's connection to it and wondered if I could be of assistance. Apparently he joined this site as part of his investigation.

I'm curious to know if anyone else here has been contacted, by Mr. Lemas or anyone else, about this.

Interesting that the USC paper was investigating Willow Bay like that. I had heard that the situation had raised some eyebrows out there, and this would seem to confirm that.

No, I was not. No one has brought it up to me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
the English language newspapers in China are a hoot. Obviously written for the expat community with a heavy dose of CCP propaganda thrown in. I can always count on an article about how evil and aggressive Japan is, how China is cracking down on corruption, how the USA is falling behind China in education and how China is cleaning up pollution.

I'd be curious if there is any coverage of Disney in the tune lcal Chinese media.

The sad thing is how much our media has become a propaganda mill as well. You sorta expect it in China. But here?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ain't China grand? It reminds me of a friend and business associate who had all of his company's product manufactured in China. He'd visit the factories a handful of times per year and his legal team would get images and accounting of their facilities to prove that they were adhering to standards. He would tell me that no matter the show that they would put on for his visits, he'd ultimately see blood that hadn't been cleaned up well enough off the the manufacturing floors and walls of the employees.

And to think that nearly all of our junk is coming from there and it's greatly added to the toxic environmental dump of a world that we're in. Ahhh.....

The problem is we've made ourselves China's (female dogs) ... or -- at the least -- we've entered into a toxic co-dependent relationship that seems to help us both, but actually harms both our people but helps everyone who doesn't need it, from criminal politicians in China getting billions in kickbacks to criminals on Wall Street defending the practices and shilling them for American corporations that have decimated the American middle class and seek to now take on China's growing one.

At the risk of sounding like I'm speaking out of both sides of my mouth, I love China. In some ways, I feel like it's a second home. The culture, history, food and people just make it such a fascinating place. But there's a hidden irony in all of this, though. People here like to talk about how everything is made in China, the truth is The New China is a Creation of Wall Street.

America created the Chinese middle class because they asked ''why should we have to settle for a portion of our middle class buyers when their middle class is much larger than our entire population?' ...

NearTheEars

Maybe you'd make a more fitting analogy... like buying a NYC T-Shirt that had the Sears Tower on it and said "I love America" instead of "I love NYC"

I don't think that's a fair analogy at all. Having an I Love NYC shirt with a tag that read: New York, Chicago, Hanes would be the right comparison here.

In the current case it is a Maelstrom (NYC) shirt with a tag that says WDW (NYC), Disneyland (Chicago) Hanes.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's not how it works. All of the operating participants (including the non-Disney Epcot Restaurants, Yak and Yeti, and all of Downtown Disney) are "made whole" with the difference between menu price and the DDP rates. As a matter of fact, even the Disney-owned restaurants are covered in that regard, since the restaurant managers aren't held responsible for the promotions that the marketing and pricing guys put out there.

Don't know where you heard this, but it isn't the case at all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Saw it at the world premiere today. More detailed thoughts in the dedicated Inside Out thread, but bottom line is I love it.

I have only heard people say it was very good, excellent or great.
I think Pixar has big winner on its hands and after three average to good films at best, I'm glad to hear that and look forward to seeing it.

ItlngrlBella

No, it won't. Because Disney is too big and the project to important (but not nearly as important over there as it is over here or as Iger will claim to his followers on Wall Street ... again, I'd love it if a few of you emailed the Wall Street Journal 's Ben Fritz about any of the Disney/China topics we've discussed here. He's a tool ... but that doesn't mean he can't be manipulated either.)

But some of what was mentioned in the story above certainly comes through when you are there. The Chinese treated me like royalty every time I worked there. But I also never had a doubt that there was a pervasive racism/nationalism at play just below the surface, much less so in Hong Kong, obviously. But I'd often invite my workers to go out and very rarely did they wish to socialize outside the work place. I recall a celebratory party at the conclusion of the Beijing Games at a very western upscale bar and while most of my team came, the Chinese sorta stayed all together in a room in the back. ... China is just a land of contrasts, as cliche as that sounds. And most people, even people doing business there, don't fully grasp it.

I'd be happy to email Fritz at WSJ. ...but he wants sources. "I read on a forum that..." may not be enough.

I can say there has been much chatter but I'm sure he wants to talk to someone in the know. Who do I need mention by name in particular - or - a direction to point him in?

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Spirited Monday Quickees:

Word from a very well-placed individual is to expect Shanghai Disneyland to have a higher daily entry fee than EVERY Disney park in the world with the exception of the US Parks. I don't have an exact one-day number yet, but in the neighborhood of $80 a day. That is a VERY high number in the mainland.

Here's an impressive couple of pics from inside Shanghai's new Disney Store:
http://hk.on.cc/cn/bkn/cnt/news/20150517/bkncn-20150517215001244-0517_05011_001_cn.html?refer=fn2
http://hk.on.cc/cn/bkn/cnt/news/20150517/bkncn-20150517215001244-0517_05011_001_cn.html?refer=fn2

Boy, that 'model' of Storybook Castle sure is impressive, isn't it? You think they're reinforcing the idea that Disney is simply generic western-style children's entertainment?

To @Iwerks64, I'd love to have your HKDL observations/thoughts on this thread when you are able. I'm also pretty certain that if you had business on the very street that is now passing through the Shanghai Disneyland resort, my guess is that you likely could get a tour out at the site. It might be worth your time. Again, I'm sure I could get a tour of the site, no matter how much some high-level individuals have personal animus toward me. What do we both have in common? Neither of us works for TWDC.

Don't want to waste much time/space by talking about it, but it is a very positive development to see DLR-specific BRANDED cups and the like in Anaheim. Any O-Town BloggingWhores out there yet?

How many more weeks before Age of Ultron is old news? Nothing against the film, which I haven't seen yet, but 'summer films' that have essentially wrapped their big money runs by Memorial Day are not summer tent poles. They are spring tent poles.

Did I book another Disney Cruise today? I'll have to ask Angie about that! :D:cool::)

Hope to pop back tonight!
the ballons are a nice addition to the store.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Lemas contacted me as well, I think I told you that privately when it happened. It seemed odd that of all the places he could go for info -- you know, like his department head's office -- that he chose to come to this site and contact a few (or more?) prominent posters (I am sure he talked to Jake as well!)

It is very odd.

But I told him what I knew, without revealing sources, and pointed him exactly where he should have gone, where any journalist who was truly seeking the truth would have gone. I even gave my spiel about having worked as a reporter and that he had a major story on his hands. And he wouldn't have had to go far beyond Willow Bay Iger as there were (and remain) professors and other faculty that want her gone that I know would have talked to him.

Not sure where he went with it, if he went anywhere with it.

Absimilliard

It appears Six Flags is outdoing the recent WDW efforts with their new dark rides this year. Six Flags Over Texas just posted a new video today of their 3-D dark ride that unlike Universal... still include physical effects. I was shocked to see real fire used and it appears to be a wonderful ride that would be well at home at any Disney and Universal parks.

Lee

Adventurer
Lemas contacted me as well, I think I told you that privately when it happened. It seemed odd that of all the places he could go for info -- you know, like his department head's office -- that he chose to come to this site and contact a few (or more?) prominent posters (I am sure he talked to Jake as well!)

It is very odd.

But I told him what I knew, without revealing sources, and pointed him exactly where he should have gone, where any journalist who was truly seeking the truth would have gone. I even gave my spiel about having worked as a reporter and that he had a major story on his hands. And he wouldn't have had to go far beyond Willow Bay Iger as there were (and remain) professors and other faculty that want her gone that I know would have talked to him.

Not sure where he went with it, if he went anywhere with it.
Yeah, I told him what I knew. Never heard from him again.

Surely he would have requested an interview with Willow...how could she refuse?
Once she's on the record, it's just a simple matter of asking one "yes or no" question.

So easy even a journalism student could do it...:rolleyes:

Cesar R M

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom