A Spirited Perfect Ten

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'd have brought the towel down and pics of the sheets and ask to speak to the highest level manager there. I'd then ask ''Would you feel comfortable having this in Bob and Willow's room?'' That's where it would start and stop. I wouldn't contact Guest Relations. They're a waste. I'd email the GM of the Poly (Norm.Noble@disney.com ).

FWIW, Norm is a quality guy and cares. He was opening GM of DAK Lodge and has been all over property. The system and the people above him work against actually providing a quality product befitting the absurd price points Disney charges to stay there.

I bet Bob and his wife stay in Golden Oaks, not at a Disney resort hotel. It's a shame that corporate is impeding the ability of quality hotel managers to provide a good product to customers.

WDW1974

Original Poster
AKL (Jambo house w/ Arusha savanna view) is very much worth it for a long weekend - if you spend the whole time at the resort (w/ a walk over to Kidani for the views/artifacts there and Sanaa). Walk the whole inside and enjoy both all the great viewpoints all over the resort (every external staircase by a savanna for instance) as well as the great African artifacts & cultural displays. Use the pool & health club. Eat at all the great restaurants there (and get an African stew at Mara - as well as extra Zebra Domes for the room). And definitely do the nightly 'Cultural Safari' where a cast member from Africa talks about their homeland. And for 2-3 days pretend the parks don't exist.

I usually spend at least two days of a DAK Lodge visit largely just around the resort. It is truly a wonderful place and I don't get the idea of using it to sleep and have a QS breakfast in the morning before bussing it to MK or another theme park. My last stay there (11 days) in 2013, Angie and I largely spent parts of multiple days just hanging at the resort. I can't imagine spending what these resorts cost just to sleep and shower and store your clothes and crap.

During my 'Magic sabattical' did a quick trip to the other coast (mostly to see family, but did my offerings of one day to the Mouse). Pretty good quick serve at Bengal BBQ (surprisingly good grilled veg), and a GREAT counter service Mexican over at DCA. Cleanliness was superior to the left coast, but still not up to Walt standards. (Though tough to get mad about anything after a visit to the Japanese American Museum. Seeing the stuff there about the 'Internment' puts everything else in perspective - I was borderline ready to cry seeing all the stuff there about it).

I'll be back at DLR soon. But not next week when every blogger/podcaster/Lifestyler- will be in town to make sure they don't get 'beat' on pics of all the new entertainment etc.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I bet Bob and his wife stay in Golden Oaks, not at a Disney resort hotel. It's a shame that corporate is impeding the ability of quality hotel managers to provide a good product to customers.

Most times Bob is at WDW he is ensconced at the Grand Flo. Same with Tom. Same with John Lasseter.
Michael Eisner always stayed at a suite at the YC unless he was checking out a new property.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, you've got to be careful when you post something on this forum. We're graced by the world's foremost authority who checks every post for absolute accuracy.

Now, let's leave Jake out of this. He's just trying to be fair and balanced and make sure Disney's corporate image doesn't ever get dinged too much. You can't blame him. He really fell in love with the place as a CPer and you never forget your first ... sometimes you stalk her (or him) for years to come.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Most times Bob is at WDW he is ensconced at the Grand Flo. Same with Tom. Same with John Lasseter.
Michael Eisner always stayed at a suite at the YC unless he was checking out a new property.

Hum, I thought Disney would have a couple of houses in Golden Oaks for their top execs to use. Nice to see he stays on property. Bet he gets LOTS of GF chocolates on his pillow at night.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'll be back at DLR soon. But not next week when every blogger/podcaster/Lifestyler-***** will be in town to make sure they don't get 'beat' on pics of all the new entertainment etc.

So glad I visited a couple of weeks ago and not during the hoopla that's going to be the start of the Diamond birthday. Hadn't been in over 30 years. Was amazed by the difference in the two parks, especially the vibe. Very much the laid back Southern California vibe. No screaming parents, Hummer size strollers to avoid, armies of scooters (and people who can't drive them). Not a single entitled guest in sight during my three days. Not going to get into the "this ride is better at DLR than the one at WDW" or vice versa (although that is true for some - is it too late to fix the 2009 reno to Space at WDW everyone complains about?). But I enjoyed my trip, the wonderful Southern Cal weather - having left nearly 90 degree weather in Florida - and I didn't miss WDW at all. So loved both parks I'm planning on changing one of my many trips to Orlando each year to Anaheim. 'Cause that takeoff from John Wayne is quite a ride.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
None of my threads ... heck, none of the threads that go on for hundreds of pages ever focus entirely on Disney.

And I admit that I brought the healthcare situation up. I just wonder how many folks who have been living what I have (only partly to do with evil insurance companies and the joke that is Obamacare -- at least here in FL) wouldn't have attempted to strangle some of the individuals that my family have been dealing with. I generally come here to entertain and educate about Disney, entertainment and media and wind down after stressful days. But my life right now is a freaking powder keg and it would seem some insurance companies and the 'money people' who somehow have been given power to make medical decisions are looking to light a match.

I'll try and steer clear of the subject, but not because I don't feel it deserves attention ... but because I just took my BP and it was 124 over 88, so I need to lower it and talking about this $hit will just raise it.

Let's talk about the odds we see pics of Bob, Tom and Chappie at SDL's site next week. Who wants to establish a Vegas like line?

I'll set the Over/Under at 7.5 .... Originally I thought 8.5 but I doubt the Chinese Overlords will allow for more than 8...

Takers?

*1023*

I'll be back at DLR soon. But not next week when every blogger/podcaster/Lifestyler-***** will be in town to make sure they don't get 'beat' on pics of all the new entertainment etc.

I wonder if it will be busy on July 17th.... I guess I'll find out....

*1023*

I usually spend at least two days of a DAK Lodge visit largely just around the resort. It is truly a wonderful place and I don't get the idea of using it to sleep and have a QS breakfast in the morning before bussing it to MK or another theme park. My last stay there (11 days) in 2013, Angie and I largely spent parts of multiple days just hanging at the resort. I can't imagine spending what these resorts cost just to sleep and shower and store your clothes and crap.

AKL is my favorite DVC resort for a relaxing trip. You can definitely spend 2 days hanging out at the resort itself. Exploring, people watching at the pool, adult beverage locations are very nice. Restaurants between the 2 properties are even decent to eat at. Reading from my tablet on the balcony while Giraffes walk by is very peaceful.

For a park crushing trip it's a Monorail resort or BC/BW...

*1023*

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

Interesting, any other fun facts to share? Imagine he stayed in the castle suite haha

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
And I admit that I brought the healthcare situation up. I just wonder how many folks who have been living what I have (only partly to do with evil insurance companies and the joke that is Obamacare -- at least here in FL) wouldn't have attempted to strangle some of the individuals that my family have been dealing with. I generally come here to entertain and educate about Disney, entertainment and media and wind down after stressful days. But my life right now is a freaking powder keg and it would seem some insurance companies and the 'money people' who somehow have been given power to make medical decisions are looking to light a match.

I can tell you how I handled it after my mom died in her 50s from liver failure due to the stress of having to endure a year of antibiotic treatments (and other medications) because the hospital/doctors didn't think that a diabetic needed preventative antibiotics after triple bypass surgery. Six months of wound care where incisions would not heal due to some exotic infection.

I can tell you how I handled it after my sister was a couple hours away from bleeding to death through her skin, tear ducts, and sweat glands because she had a reaction to medications that caused her blood platelet count to drop to the point her blood was almost water.

I can tell you how I handled it when my father fell from a ladder into a partially filled pool, crushing three vertebrae and almost drowning because at the deep end where he fell in there was three feet of stagnant water that he breathed in when he hit bottom. After they had to open him back up to clean out the infection because of poor care in the hospital, they realized he had ruptured his esophagus from wretching the black stagnant water out.

What did I do to make it through these terrible events that took one of the three family members that I grew up with, but could have easily taken all three? I focused on them getting better. Was I upset with doctors? Absolutely. But I realized ing and moaning about the issues added no benefite to them getting better. In my experiences insurance had nothing to do with it. It was all neglect in care from the doctors/hospital.

LAKid53

Premium Member
If my parents were still alive, I would be booking reservations at their house for those attending the Diamond birthday celebrations. "Planning on visiting the Southern California area during Disneyland's Diamond Jubilee? Looking for a relaxing place to stay during your visit? How about a lovely 3,000 square foot 4 bedroom, 3 bath California ranch on nearly 1 acre with an amazing view of the Pacific Ocean and a pool. Lovely mature landscaping with fragrant eucalyptus trees and a well tended garden from which you can make your own fresh dinner every night. Convenient to all the Southern California attractions: Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Hollywood, Universal Studios and only minutes from the beach. So why stay in Anaheim when you can stay in the hills of Palos Verdes. Only $3,000 a night or $15,000 for an entire week. And the grumpy old man is included with your stay, at no extra cost."

FigmentJedi

Posted this earlier today people said he's gone to the dark side
Please. I don't think being acknowledged by D23 makes Martin another shill '74's gonna start whining about. Remember, D23 is pretty much joined at the hip to the Archives and the Archives actually took in copies of Martin's material because it's just that comprehensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom