A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Reread my post... I agree politician demand test scores because the union lead system was killing the system.

Education $ need to be spent on the kids not admins and then they need to be held accountable that kids get smarter.... The system as set up puts to much on testing... the system before had none on testing... Neither are good.
standarized tests hardly help the students in the long run.

truecoat

click

Bob thinks he's in China.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
click

Bob thinks he's in China.

And he definitely knows that camera is including him.... kinda creepy smile. "I'm the CEO of the world's largest entertainment company whose stock just reached a record high, so I'm going to sit here and pose for the camera looking like an average joe in my shirt and sweater [and not tell Wall Street I'm selling $21.7M in Disney stock tomorrow, hah hah]. Hey, those two guys are BALD - I have such a nice head of hair. What sport are they playing?"

WildcatDen

And thanks to our wonderful governor and the incompetent Legislature, we tax payers will be footing the bill for a special 20 day session in order for the Legislature/governor to figure a way out of the mess they created by not opting into the Medicaid expansion, which would have been paid by tax revenues already collected from Florida residents. The esteemed Legislature has to find a way to plug the $1.3B budget deficit that will occur since they decided not to expand Medicaid and the federal government said no to Scott's LIP proposal since the proposal doesn't meet ACA guidelines. And that was after Ricky made that trip to DC. So Ricky got to send a letter to state agency heads this week asking them to make plans for a shut down of state government if the Legislature cannot solve the impasse THEY created. The last time we had a shut down of state government? When Lawton Chiles was governor back in the 1990s. And it was one day. And he asked state employees to show up for work on July 1st, confident that the Legislature would pass a budget in time. This time? No such luck since the House and Senate are at opposite ends and the House decided to bail early during the regular session. But we taxpayers will be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for that special session that may solve nothing. And then state government, other than essential services, will be shutting down. All over providing another 800,000 poor Florida residents health care. It is estimated 1 in 5 elderly Floridians have no health care. Criminal in a state with an aging population like Florida; the Florida Department of Elder Affairs estimates (based on voting records) the 60+ population to be around 30%.

And Ricky flip flopping on the issue. First he was opposed. Then he was for and the Legislature shot him down last year. Now he's opposed again.

And all the Florida Legislature has to do, constitutionally, is pass a budget. Which they couldn't do in 60 days. Every time I see the commercial about how the Legislature is making Florida work and protecting the people, I want to vomit.

All this over providing another 800,000 Florida citizens health care. And I wonder how many of those 800,000 are children?

The mistake made with ACA? That it wasn't a single payer plan and the insurance companies taken out of the health care business. Got news for you folks. It's your insurance company that decides the level/quality of health care you receive, not your doctor. That an entire industry has evolved to provide billing services to insurance companies for health care is a good indication of this.
You had me at incompetent.
Still, isn't that what the little blue pill is for?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Friday Night Musings: (please don't read if you don't care about Disney P&R big picture stuff and only care about the crappy Pirates rehab that likely won't fix 75% of what needs fixing or would rather debate why the Poly is worth $600 a night to you!!)

It seems like the Shanghai PR push as begun by TWDC and Robert A. Iger (he of the 'Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China' fame). 'News' is carefully being placed out and will likely build to a crescendo when Bob and Tom and Chappie and Co. descend on Shanghai to open The Disney Store there next week. They'll likely be very sheltered and back on the corporate jet ASAP to get to DLR for the 60th kickoff.

This story appeared today in the Shanghai Daily. It plays up Doris Woodward, a Chinese-American, who formerly was an Imagineer and is working for WDI on the park, starting out with Storybook Castle and now as exec producer of DisneyTown (think Disney Springs here). Her roots at the company are strong having worked on everything from EPCOT Center to TDS before leaving leaving with her fellow Imagineer hubby to start their own design company. She was one of the top designers on both the Westcot concept for Anaheim and Port Disney concept for Long Beach that were shelved in favor of DCA.

What's interesting about Doris is that she is Chinese-American, she was born and lived in Hong Kong before heading to the USA for college and settling down there, joining WED as it ramped up work when it was building EPCOT Center, TDL and DL's New Fantasyland simultaneously. Her 'face' has been one front and center on the project for years because Disney has to have non-white/western-looking faces on this because their overlords demand it. It's also why Bob Weis is spending far more time in the USA than he is in China, despite being lead designer of SDL. Here's the link:

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/featur...e-returns-to-her-roots-in-China/shdaily.shtml

And here's a story from almost three years ago in the China Daily where she was prominently featured:
http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2012-07/14/content_15579762.htm

Also, not a coincidence that Tomorrowland is bowing on May 22nd in Shanghai with Brad Bird and George Clooney both planning on being there.

This is Disney's 'Coming Out' (Don't worry, it gets better!) Party in the mainland. I'm very, very curious to see how this will all play out. And, yes, wonder what photos may finally be allowed to appear in American media.

Apparently, an ABC News producer from Beijing was sent out to the resort this week to obviously get some material to be used during next week's festivities. He was only allowed to take a picture of a sign that was for the shuttle bus boarding location to take him to the security building at the SDL site. It features a rendering of a bus with Mickey, Minnie and Pluto looking out the front windows with a plate that says SHDR. I'm sure they released more than that, but the fact they pushed back at a Chinese producer for the parent's company's news division again speaks to who is, and who isn't, in charge over there.

Oh and here's this just out today:

http://headlines.disneyexaminer.com...reworks-limited-to-bring-photopass-to-guests/

I may have mentioned this before, but got high-level confirmation recently that Disney had been shooting internally for a Spring 2015 opening for SDL. But that once it was pushed back to 'late 2015', everyone inside the company understood that meant a Spring/Summer 2016 debut at the soonest.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thoughts on Kathleen Kennedy?

Very talented. Plays well with others. Not afraid to push back when she wants things done right.

But Disney will never name a woman head of the company ... you'll have a black Presi ... I mean you'll have a gay President first.

Disney chases away talented women execs, it doesn't nurture them and it certainly doesn't like having them in positions of power, let alone ultimate power.

They realize this, which is why they made such a big deal about Chappie's replacement last week.

But if you're asking me if she has any chance at the top spot, then I have to say absolutely not.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Spirited Friday Night Musings: (please don't read if you don't care about Disney P&R big picture stuff and only care about the crappy Pirates rehab that likely won't fix 75% of what needs fixing or would rather debate why the Poly is worth $600 a night to you!!)

It seems like the Shanghai PR push as begun by TWDC and Robert A. Iger (he of the 'Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China' fame). 'News' is carefully being placed out and will likely build to a crescendo when Bob and Tom and Chappie and Co. descend on Shanghai to open The Disney Store there next week. They'll likely be very sheltered and back on the corporate jet ASAP to get to DLR for the 60th kickoff.

This story appeared today in the Shanghai Daily. It plays up Doris Woodward, a Chinese-American, who formerly was an Imagineer and is working for WDI on the park, starting out with Storybook Castle and now as exec producer of DisneyTown (think Disney Springs here). Her roots at the company are strong having worked on everything from EPCOT Center to TDS before leaving leaving with her fellow Imagineer hubby to start their own design company. She was one of the top designers on both the Westcot concept for Anaheim and Port Disney concept for Long Beach that were shelved in favor of DCA.

What's interesting about Doris is that she is Chinese-American, she was born and lived in Hong Kong before heading to the USA for college and settling down there, joining WED as it ramped up work when it was building EPCOT Center, TDL and DL's New Fantasyland simultaneously. Her 'face' has been one front and center on the project for years because Disney has to have non-white/western-looking faces on this because their overlords demand it. It's also why Bob Weis is spending far more time in the USA than he is in China, despite being lead designer of SDL. Here's the link:

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/featur...e-returns-to-her-roots-in-China/shdaily.shtml

And here's a story from almost three years ago in the China Daily where she was prominently featured:
http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2012-07/14/content_15579762.htm

Also, not a coincidence that Tomorrowland is bowing on May 22nd in Shanghai with Brad Bird and George Clooney both planning on being there.

This is Disney's 'Coming Out' (Don't worry, it gets better!) Party in the mainland. I'm very, very curious to see how this will all play out. And, yes, wonder what photos may finally be allowed to appear in American media.

Apparently, an ABC News producer from Beijing was sent out to the resort this week to obviously get some material to be used during next week's festivities. He was only allowed to take a picture of a sign that was for the shuttle bus boarding location to take him to the security building at the SDL site. It features a rendering of a bus with Mickey, Minnie and Pluto looking out the front windows with a plate that says SHDR. I'm sure they released more than that, but the fact they pushed back at a Chinese producer for the parent's company's news division again speaks to who is, and who isn't, in charge over there.

Oh and here's this just out today:

http://headlines.disneyexaminer.com...reworks-limited-to-bring-photopass-to-guests/

I may have mentioned this before, but got high-level confirmation recently that Disney had been shooting internally for a Spring 2015 opening for SDL. But that once it was pushed back to 'late 2015', everyone inside the company understood that meant a Spring/Summer 2016 debut at the soonest.

I have a question. How is Disney going to deal with the serious air pollution in Shanghai? Just looked at the U.S. Consulates index for today and it's not looking good. And in the past, Shanghai has been ranked as one of the most polluted cities, along with Beijing. I know the Chinese government is attempting to clean up the air quality in its two major cities. Do you know if Disney has any concerns about this? Or since their target market for this park is mainly Chinese residents, they'll let someone else worry.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Per Disney Parks release late on a Friday. New tenants announced for Disney Springs Mall and Homage to Elias and Flora Disney:

Zara;
Tommy Bahama;
Lilly Pulitzer;
Uniqlo;
Pandora;
UGG;
L'Occitane;
Edward Beiner;

Dining:

Edison;
Sprinkles (cupcake ATM for 24-hour service because who doesn't need a 3 a.m. cupcake?);
Blaze Fast-Fire'd Pizza;
Vivoli Gelateria;
Tea Traders Cafe by Joffrey's;

Nothing there excites me beyond the Edison, which we knew was coming over a year ago ...

LAKid53

Premium Member
Very talented. Plays well with others. Not afraid to push back when she wants things done right.

But Disney will never name a woman head of the company ... you'll have a black Presi ... I mean you'll have a gay President first.

Disney chases away talented women execs, it doesn't nurture them and it certainly doesn't like having them in positions of power, let alone ultimate power.

They realize this, which is why they made such a big deal about Chappie's replacement last week.

But if you're asking me if she has any chance at the top spot, then I have to say absolutely not.

That's unfortunate. If she does well heading up Lucasfilm, think the BOD would ever consider her? She has an excellent track record on the film side and I would hate to see Disney loose a talented exec like her.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have a question. How is Disney going to deal with the serious air pollution in Shanghai? Just looked at the U.S. Consulates index for today and it's not looking good. And in the past, Shanghai has been ranked as one of the most polluted cities, along with Beijing. I know the Chinese government is attempting to clean up the air quality in its two major cities. Do you know if Disney has any concerns about this? Or since their target market for this park is mainly Chinese residents, they'll let someone else worry.

A very good question. I can tell you that workers are getting sick, mostly westerners who aren't used to that kind of pollution. I know of Imagineers who have asked to head home. Others who have done any and everything to avoid going over.

I lived in Beijing in 2008. The pollution was like nothing I had ever experienced, but strangely (since I have allergies here in paradise) I never got ill or even had any negative effects.

They know they have to clean up the air quality. The mayor of Beijing recently said his city was becoming unlivable and couldn't be the world class city it aspires to be until the air was improved. Shanghai is just as bad.

I don't think Disney gives a da mn really. They care about opening the resort. Sure, they'd like cleaner air, but they won't ever even mention that to Shendi officials.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom