A Spirited Perfect Ten

Nemo14

Stories like this kill me because I work in the medical field and have dedicated my life to helping people, and would do so without pay. Sadly, and I really hate to say this, you are seeing a lot of medical professionals, and that's me using a general term, medical professionals who are in it for the money and not the patient. My only advice is find a doctor and ask them questions, if they can't look you in the eye with a response, keep looking. If you or loved ones need to be hospitalized, get your regular provider involved in the care, you would be shocked how much pull someone's regular doctor has with other doctors.
I'm glad there are a few doctors left like you. I grew up with a doctor who actually made housecalls, who knew my family well, and who answered questions (and if he didn't know for sure, he would tell you so and would talk to someone who would know the answer). Unfortunately he passed several years ago, and my experience with medical professionals since then is more like this:

upload_2015-5-16_10-3-49.jpeg

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Stories like this kill me because I work in the medical field and have dedicated my life to helping people, and would do so without pay. Sadly, and I really hate to say this, you are seeing a lot of medical professionals, and that's me using a general term, medical professionals who are in it for the money and not the patient. My only advice is find a doctor and ask them questions, if they can't look you in the eye with a response, keep looking. If you or loved ones need to be hospitalized, get your regular provider involved in the care, you would be shocked how much pull someone's regular doctor has with other doctors.
When my wife was in the hospital last fall for what we thought was a stroke, our family physician actually came to see her and check to make sure the other docs were communicating. One of the things we like about our local medical is if you remain within the "medical system" with your doctors, they are all notified when you are admitted into the hospital. It really impressed me.

Frankie The Beer

When my wife was in the hospital last fall for what we thought was a stroke, our family physician actually came to see her and check to make sure the other docs were communicating. One of the things we like about our local medical is if you remain within the "medical system" with your doctors, they are all notified when you are admitted into the hospital. It really impressed me.

System or not, always ask for the opinion of your doctor. No one in any hospital knows you better. If some hospitals refuse to notify your regular doctor, and some will especially if they are not in their "medical system", which basically means they are not covered by insurance, call your doctor yourself and let him know.

Frankie The Beer

I'm glad there are a few doctors left like you. I grew up with a doctor who actually made housecalls, who knew my family well, and who answered questions (and if he didn't know for sure, he would tell you so and would talk to someone who would know the answer). Unfortunately he passed several years ago, and my experience with medical professional since then is more like this:

View attachment 93192

To be honest, I'm a colorectal surgeon, get screened once a year starting at 45 or you come see me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So they're going to tear down the wilderness? Ugh.
Some of it will definitely go. Based on the plans posted in the other thread it looks like a row of individual single story buildings directly along the waterfront on both sides of WL. There does not appear to be any units on the current sand beachfront area. There will obviously be a loss of trees where the new buildings go in, but they may not be highly visible from the actual WL if they keep the rest of the trees in place between the new buildings and the lodge itself. it will probably have more of a visual impact from the water approaching the lodge vs from the lodge looking out into the woods if that makes any sense.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Some of it will definitely go. Based on the plans posted in the other thread it looks like a row of individual single story buildings directly along the waterfront on both sides of WL. There does not appear to be any units on the current sand beachfront area. There will obviously be a loss of trees where the new buildings go in, but they may not be highly visible from the actual WL if they keep the rest of the trees in place between the new buildings and the lodge itself. it will probably have more of a visual impact from the water approaching the lodge vs from the lodge looking out into the woods if that makes any sense.
Something along the lines of the treehouse villas in conjunction with Saratoga.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It seem likely that only a small number of current WL room's views will be impacted.
image.jpg

The plans call for the new cabins to the left of the boat dock at the top of the picture and to the right of the second boat dock fronting the DVC wing (red roof building). Here's a close up of the lodge:
image.jpg

The rooms facing into the middle of the U with pool views will have no impact. The only rooms which may be impacted are the wing at the very bottom of the picture above facing out. They may end up having a view of the new buildings.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just placed this on the thread regarding the WL additional timeshare coming, but I won't likely discuss it there for long:

Very, very sad news. Even if I knew it was coming ... and told y'all.

The thing that makes the WL what it is is that feels like it truly is in the wilderness. I don't see how adding 26 waterfront cabins and accompanying structures and paved pathways is going to do this. I really think this flat out sucks ... especially as someone who just bought resale points at the current VWL in 2014 and has yet to even use them once.

Pretty soon, WDW is going to resemble much of FL: pavement, traffic and tiny little berms with shrubs and a few palm trees. The MK already feels like a Disney outlet mall with a few attractions.

So much for Old Dead Guy Walt's Blessing of Size.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why on Earth did the 13 new DTD tenant press release drop late on a Friday?

Because Dr. Blondie's PhD still doesn't give her a clue that news dies on a Friday night (even in the Twit Age). Maybe because some lawyer didn't give them the OK until late. No idea.

But when you have a resort as stale at WDW and have to create events where you talk up everything from benches to cupcakes, you'd think someone would have had the brains to put the (largely) good news out and let people know.

And it won't have legs beyond forums like this and with the few Lifestylers who don't have the money to go to Anaheim next week. Because all the Disney news of next week will be coming from Shanghai and Anaheim and the Tomorrowland debut.

They killed the first good news they've had in a while. But the idiots who run that company are smarter than YOU. Just remember that!

WDW1974

Original Poster
So glad I visited a couple of weeks ago and not during the hoopla that's going to be the start of the Diamond birthday. Hadn't been in over 30 years. Was amazed by the difference in the two parks, especially the vibe. Very much the laid back Southern California vibe. No screaming parents, Hummer size strollers to avoid, armies of scooters (and people who can't drive them). Not a single entitled guest in sight during my three days. Not going to get into the "this ride is better at DLR than the one at WDW" or vice versa (although that is true for some - is it too late to fix the 2009 reno to Space at WDW everyone complains about?). But I enjoyed my trip, the wonderful Southern Cal weather - having left nearly 90 degree weather in Florida - and I didn't miss WDW at all. So loved both parks I'm planning on changing one of my many trips to Orlando each year to Anaheim. 'Cause that takeoff from John Wayne is quite a ride.

I've said this since my first visit to DL back in 1990, when WDW was still wowing me all the time. The vibe at DLR is one of relaxed people enjoying themselves. It is sooooo different than the vibe I get at WDW. I can spend 12 hours at DL or DCA and leave relaxed and smiling. I can go to the MK for four hours one night and leave stressed and angry (I know, I should stay home so the lines will be shorter for everyone else!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
AKL is my favorite DVC resort for a relaxing trip. You can definitely spend 2 days hanging out at the resort itself. Exploring, people watching at the pool, adult beverage locations are very nice. Restaurants between the 2 properties are even decent to eat at. Reading from my tablet on the balcony while Giraffes walk by is very peaceful.

For a park crushing trip it's a Monorail resort or BC/BW...

*1023*

One of my happiest WDW memories of late is sitting on the balcony with Angie about 1 a.m. and watching the giraffes huddling below our villa because they didn't want the sprinklers (yes, just like they have in the wild of Africa!) to get them wet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom