A Spirited Perfect Ten

Rteetz

Please. I don't think being acknowledged by D23 makes Martin another shill '74's gonna start whining about. Remember, D23 is pretty much joined at the hip to the Archives and the Archives actually took in copies of Martin's material because it's just that comprehensive.
I'm just saying, I think it's a cool recognization.

BrianLo

They know they have to clean up the air quality. The mayor of Beijing recently said his city was becoming unlivable and couldn't be the world class city it aspires to be until the air was improved. Shanghai is just as bad.

Not quite (also note the differences in the axis - Shanghai's absolute worst levels averages are Beijing's best).

BN-DN478_bjbj_G_20140702221450.jpg

BN-DN479_shairp_G_20140702221912.jpg

They both suck though, but Beijing is still significantly worse.

The real problem? Universal literally won't ever be able to get decent promotional shots. They never have lower pollution levels... (except when I visit apparently, then they have blue skies)

It's also no surprise that SDL has to open in the Spring/Summer (and why no one here should ever book a winter trip to Shanghai).

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Please. I don't think being acknowledged by D23 makes Martin another shill '74's gonna start whining about. Remember, D23 is pretty much joined at the hip to the Archives and the Archives actually took in copies of Martin's material because it's just that comprehensive.

Pretty sure that wasn't mentioned anywhere.....

VJ

I remember going in 1987 during the "15 Years" celebration. Guests going through the turnstiles were randomly selected to get prizes throughout the day, and one guest per day(?) got a new car. I got a free ticket to Discovery Island and River Country, which we probably wouldn't have gone to otherwise. So Disney got 2 extra paying guests to both of those places, and we were thrilled to have won something. Seems like a win-win to me.
The 15th anniversary theme song is catchy as all get out. Just wanted to make that known.

GiveMeTheMusic

Disappointing news for Hunchback fans, Disney has no current plans to bring the Paper Mill Playhouse production to Broadway:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmov...sfer-to-Broadway-Fans-Start-Petition-20150406

However, a cast recording may still be released:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/articl...F-NOTRE-DAME-Cast-Album-in-the-Works-20150515

The cast recording is happening. If they don't end up pushing the show in another professional production (with an eye toward Broadway), the cast album is very important for licensing the show rights.

Iwerks64

This story appeared today in the Shanghai Daily. It plays up Doris Woodward, a Chinese-American, who formerly was an Imagineer and is working for WDI on the park, starting out with Storybook Castle and now as exec producer of DisneyTown (think Disney Springs here). Her roots at the company are strong having worked on everything from EPCOT Center to TDS before leaving leaving with her fellow Imagineer hubby to start their own design company. She was one of the top designers on both the Westcot concept for Anaheim and Port Disney concept for Long Beach that were shelved in favor of DCA.

What's interesting about Doris is that she is Chinese-American, she was born and lived in Hong Kong before heading to the USA for college and settling down there, joining WED as it ramped up work when it was building EPCOT Center, TDL and DL's New Fantasyland simultaneously. Her 'face' has been one front and center on the project for years because Disney has to have non-white/western-looking faces on this because their overlords demand it. It's also why Bob Weis is spending far more time in the USA than he is in China, despite being lead designer of SDL. Here's the link:

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/featur...e-returns-to-her-roots-in-China/shdaily.shtml

Interesting article. I was in Shanghai all week (missed the article as I skipped breakfast yesterday and didn't get my daily dose of Shanghai Daily News). I did take the opportunity with various locals during the week to bring up Shanghai Disneyland and the opening of the new Disney store and that Bob Iger may be coming next week. Amazingly, nobody cared much about Disney, knew much about the park or the DIS CEO. Much bigger news is the 500 million yuan apartments going up for sale in Beijing.

I'm currently in the Ningbo airport waiting on my flight to Hong Kong. I do have to admit that there are three Disney children's books in the airport bookstore (next to Barbie, transformer and Dora books). So, concrete evidence that Disney is working hard at getting their brand out in China. Whether they are officially licensed content or not is a separate question. :cautious:

If anyone is in Hong Kong tomorrow, I'll probably be heading to the park. You're welcome to join me.

Iwerks64

I have a question. How is Disney going to deal with the serious air pollution in Shanghai? Just looked at the U.S. Consulates index for today and it's not looking good. And in the past, Shanghai has been ranked as one of the most polluted cities, along with Beijing. I know the Chinese government is attempting to clean up the air quality in its two major cities. Do you know if Disney has any concerns about this? Or since their target market for this park is mainly Chinese residents, they'll let someone else worry.
Shanghai was actually amazingly clear this week. Blue sky and a few visible white clouds. Of course it had rained earlier and washed a lot of the pollution out. I have been in Shanghai when you couldn't see about 15 stories on buildings.

The Visionary Soul

Hum, I thought Disney would have a couple of houses in Golden Oaks for their top execs to use. Nice to see he stays on property. Bet he gets LOTS of GF chocolates on his pillow at night.
Bob evidently doesn't eat much chocolate anymore since Tom has tried to convince him to go vegan. (I'm just imagining this, I have no proof, but it's fun to think about.)

TP2000

For @Expo_Seeker40 and @WDW1974 and @Lee and anyone else concerned about the tree removed from Disneyland's Town Square this week, here's the culprit... The Kelly & Michael Show and their property-wide TV taping this weekend.

The tree that was removed was in the planter that is now covered by the stage set for the Kelly & Michael show. They are taping an entire week's worth of shows from Disneyland for the Diamond Celebration kickoff next week. The stage set will be removed later next week, and I imagine the tree will return. All other trees in the Town Square are untouched, just the one that used to be where this temporary stage is now.

i-BX735MN-L.png

http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Not quite (also note the differences in the axis - Shanghai's absolute worst levels averages are Beijing's best).

BN-DN478_bjbj_G_20140702221450.jpg

BN-DN479_shairp_G_20140702221912.jpg

They both suck though, but Beijing is still significantly worse.

The real problem? Universal literally won't ever be able to get decent promotional shots. They never have lower pollution levels... (except when I visit apparently, then they have blue skies)

It's also no surprise that SDL has to open in the Spring/Summer (and why no one here should ever book a winter trip to Shanghai).
You may want to check your quote. I didn't post what you have quoted.

Frankie The Beer

I can tell you how I handled it after my mom died in her 50s from liver failure due to the stress of having to endure a year of antibiotic treatments (and other medications) because the hospital/doctors didn't think that a diabetic needed preventative antibiotics after triple bypass surgery. Six months of wound care where incisions would not heal due to some exotic infection.

I can tell you how I handled it after my sister was a couple hours away from bleeding to death through her skin, tear ducts, and sweat glands because she had a reaction to medications that caused her blood platelet count to drop to the point her blood was almost water.

I can tell you how I handled it when my father fell from a ladder into a partially filled pool, crushing three vertebrae and almost drowning because at the deep end where he fell in there was three feet of stagnant water that he breathed in when he hit bottom. After they had to open him back up to clean out the infection because of poor care in the hospital, they realized he had ruptured his esophagus from wretching the black stagnant water out.

What did I do to make it through these terrible events that took one of the three family members that I grew up with, but could have easily taken all three? I focused on them getting better. Was I upset with doctors? Absolutely. But I realized ****ing and moaning about the issues added no benefite to them getting better. In my experiences insurance had nothing to do with it. It was all neglect in care from the doctors/hospital.

Stories like this kill me because I work in the medical field and have dedicated my life to helping people, and would do so without pay. Sadly, and I really hate to say this, you are seeing a lot of medical professionals, and that's me using a general term, medical professionals who are in it for the money and not the patient. My only advice is find a doctor and ask them questions, if they can't look you in the eye with a response, keep looking. If you or loved ones need to be hospitalized, get your regular provider involved in the care, you would be shocked how much pull someone's regular doctor has with other doctors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom